• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Okada makes under 500K, no?

If someone like Strowman is actually on 400K+ (which very well may be wrong), it wouldn't surprise me what they offer Omega given they've apparently approached him multiple times over the years.

Hopefully he doesn't go. And it seems likely this is a work. He'll probably come back after Suzuki-gun have fucked everything up for a few months.

Tall4Life

Btw, Okada might be technically paid less, but remember that WWE guys have to pay for their food and travel. That takes out a lot from their paycheck. Okada doesnt really have that.

Jimmy's heel turn is seriously one of the best storylines I've seen in wrestling, it was so fucking cool to watch that unfold firsthand. It's a big part of the promotion's success, imo, the shows kept selling out quicker and quicker because people were desperate to see what happened next.

I know you've mentioned the earlier stuff can be a bit rough, but at what point does the story really pick up? I saw his debut is in chapter 2.

Also I started with Chapter 19 Day 1 (per your rec) and was the stuff with Noam Darr a work or did he really get hurt? Also kind of nuts seeing guys like Darr, Gallagher Sabre, End and Gargano knowing what they get to status wise come now.

You're a jobber for life, mark.
vyJ-eDXv.png

There are about a million more potential storylines for Asuka on the main roster then what she has in NXT.

If she goes to Smackdown, she'll be golden. But even then I can't see that happening until post-Mania.

"Oh no, Naomi couldn't understand what Asuka was saying, and Naomi thinks Asuka insulted her hair!"

"Oh no, Nikki thinks that Asuka was hitting on John Cena backstage, and now they have to fight in 3 minute matches!"

Whatever happens with Omega, it is so great NJPW has gotten so much more exposure.

It seemed like WK9 was the big one to get the international crowd on board and I think it was a better show overall, but fuck. It is nice to see so many people talking about NJPW.

Btw, Okada might be technically paid less, but remember that WWE guys have to pay for their food and travel. That takes out a lot from their paycheck. Okada doesnt really have that.

Okada is paid less but has a WAY less stressful schedule. I'd much rather take a hit on pay and not need to wrestle 300 days a year.

"Oh no, Naomi couldn't understand what Asuka was saying, and Naomi thinks Asuka insulted her hair!"

"Oh no, Nikki thinks that Asuka was hitting on John Cena backstage, and now they have to fight in 3 minute matches!"
Does this really work when Smackdown has managed to make all of the women storylines so far quite enjoyable?

I know you've mentioned the earlier stuff can be a bit rough, but at what point does the story really pick up? I saw his debut is in chapter 2.

Chapter 7's probably the best place to pick up with it, he has a great match vs Sabre Jr. with Nigel McGuinness as the guest ref and over the next few chapters it all really kicks off.

Also I started with Chapter 19 Day 1 (per your rec) and was the stuff with Noam Darr a work or did he really get hurt?

Been a while since I've watched that one, but I think it was a work, it just didn't come off very well tbh.

Anth0ny

Probably a work, but I wouldn't put it past WWE to call Omega after that match and say "whatever you're making now we'll double it".

or quadruple it, honestly

1000000% positive HHH was watching wrestle kingdom looking for talent to take for NXT. as if omega wasn't already high on the list, he proceeds to put on the match of forever.

Chapter 7's probably the best place to pick up with it, he has a great match vs Sabre Jr. with Nigel McGuinness as the guest ref and over the next few chapters it all really kicks off.

Been a while since I've watched that one, but I think it was a work, it just didn't come off very well tbh.

Thanks for the info. I'm probably going to jump up to the newer stuff (35/36 onward) but then go back to 7 to watch that unfold.

Progress is turning out to be a perfect combination of what I loved about WWE and what I love about NJPW: Good characters (WWE) with great in-ring story telling (NJPW). The crowd also reminds me a lot of OG ECW peeps where they're doing things that help elevate the matches, wrestlers, etc versus trying to be celebrities themselves.

Anth0ny

keep in mind that we literally got the news of aj/nakamura/anderson and gallows coming to wwe the day after wrestle kingdom last year, too.

Foggy

They can do whatever they want with Asuka at this point. I don't think the move to Raw or Smackdown would be much better or worse since she's stale in NXT at this point. Between the 3 Japanese imports, only Nak has had an excellent match and that was against Zayn. I consider it a victory if Asuka or Nak make it through their WWE career without getting dumped on their neck at an NXT house show.

The amount of people thinking Omega can be, and pull of, Omega in WWE / America are working themselves. The moment he gets here they'll have him doing promos to shill products

I doubt they'd put Omega in the Tokyo Dome main if there was any chance of him leaving.

Indeed.

He'll probably come back as a tweener after Suzuki fucks shit up.

The feud with Ibushi has been hinted at forever as well. It would just be kind of odd if there wasn't a belt involved.

Triple H's twitter is the best source of some unintentional comedy. The guy takes his NXT tweets too seriously.

Take a drink every time you see ... on a tweet of his and you'll be dead within ten minutes.

Anth0ny

It's been 2, and Dave was the one who broke it, not the talent on Twitter

#itsfake

I hope.

Omega taking a temporary leave to recuperate from that grueling match makes sense from a story perspective. Let the legend of that match grow. When he finally comes back, it'll be huge.

The best theory I've seen is that Omega needs a break, for obvious reasons, and is going to use this 'rethink' to break away from Bullet Club. This is BC's fifth year, its time to start spinning them down.

IF for some strange reason Kenny ends up in WWE I want to be proven wrong on them letting him be Kenny, but I hope it ends up being a mess just so every WWE/Wreddit superfan stops with shit tier dream booking

Zach

Royal Rumble '04 notes:

- Jesus Christ, Eddie's bacne
- Hahardcore Holly challenging for the WWE Championship
- How are they gonna build up this Michaels/H match as a big deal when we've seen it a few times now?
- Oh man, is Triple H getting pudgy? :D

Top Bottom