• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
foiRy8H.jpg

Big lads. Kitamiya on the left is a former champion swimmer, 31 years old, while Oka in the right is 24 and a national amateur wrestling champion.

*edit, wow, Kitamiya's trained by Hase.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sunny must be busy if he'd let all of this Ascension dissing go uncommented. Probably tasting some delicious booty.

Shibata;

"Happy new year. I don't have anything to say, really. But I'm ready to lose a few years off my life tomorrow."

WAR SHIBATAAAAAAA!

Lion's Gate sounds interesting, hope it gets off to a better start than NEVER.

Shibata;

Lion's Gate sounds interesting, hope it gets off to a better start than NEVER.

To be fair, running a second show would put this new thing ahead of NEVER.

Just noticed that NJPWorld now has a client to pull in tweets. A small thing but its nice they're doing some work on the platform.

JavyOO7

Yeah, it was apparently superkick from Gedo that caused the eye injury which forced his retirement. Such a shame, always cool to see him on commentary these days though and that he's a bigger perv than Liger, haha.

Yeah, Gedo is one dumb mofo. He was stuck in the moment and... retired a dude permanently. Geez. =/

notworksafe

I hadn't heard of this game Giant Gram 2000 until today but now I need to own this for my arcade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42raBFk1XQ4

The roster for this game is pretty damn awesome too

Mitsuharu Misawa
Toshiaki Kawada
Akira Taue
Kenta Kobashi
Jun Akiyama
Yoshinari Ogawa
Takao Omori
Yoshihiro Takayama
Hiroshi Hase
Tamon Honda
Masahito Kakihara
Kentaro Shiga
Stan Hansen
Vader
Steve Williams
Johnny Ace
Mike Barton
Johnny Smith
Wolf Hawkfield
Maunakea Mossman
Giant Baba
Rikidozan
Jumbo Tsuruta
Bruiser Brody
Gary Albright
The Destroyer
Fritz Von Erich
Bruno Sammartino
Bobo Brazil
Gene Kiniski
Don Leo Johnson

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I was always so mystified by how Savage went from winning the belt at Wrestlemania 8 (in one of the best matches ever imo), to being on commentary the year after, so I started to watch the ppvs between WM9 and untill he left the company in late 94, and while he doesnt appear on all those, when he does, he just gets a way better reaction than anybody on the roster, which just makes this decision even more puzzling. They were in desperate need for top faces at the time (remember the Lex express?), and they had this guy who was incredibly over, was great on the mic and also was responsible for quite a few of the best matches of all time. And here he is, just months after holding the biggest belt of them all, almost no longer used, and when he is, mostly as a jobber to the "stars". I dont get this at all. Even the stuff he had with Crush was as part-timer, was way better than most of the stuff going on at the time. Almost makes me believe in the Stephanie-rumours lol. Anybody has a good explanation for this strange use of possibly their biggest star in Savage?

Best bit

They set up a match between The Rock and John Cena one year in advance, based entirely on the storyline "John Cena talked shit about me." That's not an exaggeration. That was the whole story: a "meet me in the playground after school" beef. And what that tells us as fans is, "If these two extremely popular guys wrestle each other, you will buy tickets or subscribe to our network, no matter what." I've put more effort into wiping my ass than the "creative" team put into that booking, and that's become par for the course in the WWE.

Well now I just feel dump, I didn't even think of it like that.

I hadn't heard of this game Giant Gram 2000 until today but now I need to own this for my arcade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42raBFk1XQ4

The roster for this game is pretty damn awesome too

Mitsuharu Misawa
Toshiaki Kawada
Akira Taue
Kenta Kobashi
Jun Akiyama
Yoshinari Ogawa
Takao Omori
Yoshihiro Takayama
Hiroshi Hase
Tamon Honda
Masahito Kakihara
Kentaro Shiga
Stan Hansen
Vader
Steve Williams
Johnny Ace
Mike Barton
Johnny Smith
Wolf Hawkfield
Maunakea Mossman
Giant Baba
Rikidozan
Jumbo Tsuruta
Bruiser Brody
Gary Albright
The Destroyer
Fritz Von Erich
Bruno Sammartino
Bobo Brazil
Gene Kiniski
Don Leo Johnson
Funny you mention that, I just got my copy of AJPW Featuring Virtua (Giant Gram's predecessor) last week. Pretty dope game, but I have to shake my head at the fact that Baba's character select portrait is like three times bigger than the rest of the roster.

Blasted through arcade mode as Johnny Ace and I can't believe how ahead of the curve this game was, presentation and gameplay-wise, even with contemporaries like the WCW games on the N64. Even the commentary (!) sounds smoother than 2k's shit.

I was always so mystified by how Savage went from winning the belt at Wrestlemania 8 (in one of the best matches ever imo), to being on commentary the year after, so I started to watch the ppvs between WM9 and untill he left the company in late 94, and while he doesnt appear on all those, when he does, he just gets a way better reaction than anybody on the roster, which just makes this decision even more puzzling. They were in desperate need for top faces at the time (remember the Lex express?), and they had this guy who was incredibly over, was great on the mic and also was responsible for quite a few of the best matches of all time. And here he is, just months after holding the biggest belt of them all, almost no longer used, and when he is, mostly as a jobber to the "stars". I dont get this at all. Even the stuff he had with Crush was as part-timer, was way better than most of the stuff going on at the time. Almost makes me believe in the Stephanie-rumours lol. Anybody has a good explanation for this strange use of possibly their biggest star in Savage?
Vince was pushing his new generation. He just wanted Macho Man as his new Ventura(post wrestling).

He wanted new guys such as Bret, Shawn, Razor, Luger, and Henning to be his stars instead of the guys like Hogan, Warrior, and Macho.

Another reason for the new generation was the steroid scandal.

tm24

To make you appreciate CMLL's booking by comparison.
I hate that this is true. I mean, fucking CMLL actually did some good booking yesterday out of a negro casas/super parka match. Will they fuck it up at Dos Leyendas? Probably. But still, Casas/Volador will be fun

I imagine this isn't news but just in case, there's a doc available on BBC iPlayer covering Balor's/Devitt's background and his last trip in Japan before signing with WWE. Smack Em Up

I'm not sure of availability outside UK but it's probably been re-uploaded somewhere.

Vince was pushing his new generation. He just wanted Macho Man as his new Ventura(post wrestling).

He wanted new guys such as Bret, Shawn, Razor, Luger, and Henning to be his stars instead of the guys like Hogan, Warrior, and Macho.

Another reason for the new generation was the steroid scandal.

The irony in this is too much considering what's been going on in WWE or late. Still relying heavily on Taker, Kane, Big Show, Cena.

As for Taker, after watching Rumble '94 I forgot just how big of a push and pop he would get. That Casket match was a bit of a mess but also so ahead of itself.

Is it safe to say Paul Barer is a top 5 manager of all time? Can't think of any other manager who sold his angle so well.

Gonzalez

Banned
I'm re-watching Death Proof again this morning, and I notice a Rock reference at the start of the 2nd half. That just reminds me of the damn shame that The Rock hasn't been in a QT movie yet. He'd be perfect reciting QT dialogue, since QT dialogue is pretty much the kind of dialogue that The Rock's macho promos consisted of near the end of his first run.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Traumas vs Hechicero & Cavernario is on youtube.

Hechicero gets a ton of chants. And someone in the crowd has a trombone. Hechicero continues to remind me of Abismo.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That reminds me, what happened to old Sin Cara?

back in Mexico
eMembCD.gif

Still botching and having bad timing. He was actually set up for a real good heel run and feud with Rey but left because he didn't want to lose because he can't accept that Rey is more popular than him.

klonere

Banned
back in Mexico
eMembCD.gif

Still botching and having bad timing. He was actually set up for a real good heel run and feud with Rey but left because he didn't want to lose because he can't accept that Rey is more popular than him.

Heel OG Sin Cara in AAA was good fun when I checked in on it very briefly. Is he a main event dude in CMLL now or lower in the card?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Roman is either champ... or the champ is keeping the belt warm for Roman. This is the new reality we have to look forward to over the next decade unless Vince dies.
I felt really awful when I woke up from a dream I had last night that Samoa Joe won the Royal Rumble to realize that Roman is probably winning again despite the fact he's already the champion right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom