• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly cannot wait to have Orton fight Nakamura and Styles. Well, I can wait, because it's gonna be awhile.

Everybody is talking up Nak vs. Bryan (lol, not gonna happen) and Nak vs. Rollins (which will be dope), but honestly, the matches I'm most looking forward to are Nak vs. Orton, Nak vs. Sheamus, and Nak vs. Roman. This is assuming that they actually push him to be the main eventer he very obviously is, which they probably won't. Oh, and Nak vs. Owens would be fun, too, as would Nak vs. Neville. And Nak vs. Zayn, and Nak vs. Itami, and Nak vs. Balor, and Nak vs. Wyatt, and Nak vs. Cesaro... shit, I'd even be down for seeing curtain jerk matches like Nak vs. Ryback, Nak vs. Titus, Nak vs. Ziggler. That's how goddamn much I love Nak, and honestly, as I list all these dope-sounding matches one by one, it makes me think this jump might be the best thing for Nak, when weighed against the stale booking that awaited him in NJPW.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Also, Orton is wonderful, and I will hear no word to the contrary. He's the epitome of a wrestler who gets better the more you watch him, because - like the above GIF/photo combo shows - his work contains so many little touches that break up the seeming sameness of his moveset.

He's fucking awesome. I think it's weird that people think he's boring. He's genuinely so good that he can get a quality match out of pretty much anybody. He character work ebbs and flows, but when he cares, you get stuff like his babyface run against the authority, which was pretty rad. Like, really, how good was his Mania match against Seth?

CYODl0GWQAEtdYm.jpg:large

When the fuck is Hunter gonna make the call and add Gigi and Amanda to developmental? They better be on Season 2 of Breaking Ground.

Anth0ny

So if you're WWE how do you introduce Nakamura properly? He'll still be signed with New Japan until the end of the month, so a Rumble debut is out of the question.

It's too bad there isn't a Takeover show between now and Mania weekend, because that would have been a good place to debut him, like they did with Joe last year.

If they are gonna do a surprise debut with AJ Styles at the Rumble, I'm hoping they don't go down the same route with Nakamura. Even though we'd all mark out, I'm pretty sure he'd come out to silence if he just showed up randomly on Raw or the February PPV. Even though WWE never does this kind of shit anymore, I hope they tease him through pre-recorded interview packages that air every week on Raw and Smackdown. It would be him talking shit in Japanese with subtitles, shot like the pre-recorded Brock Lesnar/John Cena shit talk videos. Each video can end with "SHINSUKE NAKAMURA - COMING AT FAST LANE"

Alternatively, if Nakamura isn't a part of the Mania plans, you can just debut him on Raw after Mania to the crazy hardcore crowd that actually knows who he is.

iMax

So if you're WWE how do you introduce Nakamura properly? He'll still be signed with New Japan until the end of the month, so a Rumble debut is out of the question.

It's too bad there isn't a Takeover show between now and Mania weekend, because that would have been a good place to debut him, like they did with Joe last year.

If they are gonna do a surprise debut with AJ Styles at the Rumble, I'm hoping they don't go down the same route with Nakamura. Even though we'd all mark out, I'm pretty sure he'd come out to silence if he just showed up randomly on Raw or the February PPV. Even though WWE never does this kind of shit anymore, I hope they tease him through pre-recorded interview packages that air every week on Raw and Smackdown. It would be him talking shit in Japanese with subtitles, shot like the pre-recorded Brock Lesnar/John Cena shit talk videos. Each video can end with "SHINSUKE NAKAMURA - COMING AT FAST LANE"

Alternatively, if Nakamura isn't a part of the Mania plans, you can just debut him on Raw after Mania to the crazy hardcore crowd that actually knows who he is.

Have him answer John Cena's open challenge when he gets the US title back.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

They need to start doing packages for Bayley first. I'd save Nak for the night after mania unless they've got an opponent for him for mania that can't miss, which would mean Bryan, which isn't happening.

Zach

I'm hoping he does a match at the April 1 TakeOver event before debuting on the RAW after Mania.

(Because I have tickets.)

Anth0ny

Have him answer John Cena's open challenge when he gets the US title back.

I think you can do this if he's already established in NXT and he's making his main roster debut.

Again, if his music hits and he comes out to face John Cena, no one is going to know who he is. Obviously he can't cut a promo. He's just gonna be some weird Japanese guy doing Michael Jackson dances for some reason.

Foffy

Banned
Which members of Bullet Club does GAF think Omega feels shouldn't be in the group?

I am totally doubling down on Yujiro Takahashi and Chase Owens.

TWO said:
As seen at WWE NXT Takeover London, Triple H appeared on the show despite WWE running an injury angle at TLC just days before in which Triple H was beaten down by Roman Reigns. Triple H was unable to appear on Raw the night after the PPV due to the story line injuries he sustained from the Reigns attack, and there has been a very mixed backstage reaction to Triple H appearing at the NXT show, according to The Wrestling Observer.

In addition to appearing at NXT Takeover, Triple H also posted workout footage on Twitter the same week of the injury angle, and of course was not selling the injury in the shoot video. The majority of people backstage in WWE feel that if anyone other a name like Triple H was involved in a major TV angle and was then breaking kayfabe on social media days later, it would be met with heat from WWE officials, but the rules are of course different for top stars and the McMahons.

With regards to Roman Reigns’ promo on the post-TLC edition of Smackdown, in which he said Triple H was “nowhere to be seen” since TLC, that promo was met with a mixed reaction backstage in NXT. The feeling was that the promo was poorly scripted as it overlooked the fact that Triple H appeared at NXT Takeover, and it sent the message that Roman Reigns, and by way of Reigns the main WWE roster, is not paying attention to what goes on in NXT. Some felt this makes NXT seem second-rate, and Triple H should not have appeared at Takeover, but the Observer notes he was going to take his “victory bow” in front of the sold out NXT crowd even if it didn’t make sense creatively.

The WWE main roster feeling was that the creative team should have respected the NXT viewers enough not to ignore Triple H’s story line injury at TLC, and should have kept him off Takeover.

Ithil

Use that giant video production team to make some awesome vignettes to air for a month or so.

Zach

Starrcade '83: A Flair for the Gold - B

Starrcade '84: The Million Dollar Challenge - C

WrestleMania - B-
The Wrestling Classic - D+
Starrcade '85: The Gathering - C

WrestleMania 2 - C+
The Big Event - C-
Starrcade '86: The Sky Walkers - C+

WrestleMania III - B-
Starrcade '87: Chi-Town Heat - C+
Survivor Series '87 - C-

Bunkhouse Stampede '88 - C-
Royal Rumble '88 - C-
Clash of the Champions I - B+
WrestleMania IV - C
Clash of the Champions II - C+
The Great American Bash '88 - B
SummerSlam '88 - D
Clash of the Champions III - C-
Survivor Series '88 - D
Clash of the Champions IV - C+
Starrcade '88: True Gritt - B

Royal Rumble '89 - F
Clash of the Champions V - C-
Clash of the Champions VI - B
WrestleMania V - B-
WrestleWar '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VII - C+
The Great American Bash '89 - B+
SummerSlam '89 - C
Clash of the Champions VIII - B-
Halloween Havoc '89 - C+
Clash of the Champions IX - B
Survivor Series '89 - D+
Starrcade '89: Future Shock - C+

Royal Rumble '90 - D+
Clash of the Champions X - B-
WrestleWar '90 - C
WrestleMania VI - B
Capital Combat: The Return of Robocop - B-
Clash of the Champions XI - C
The Great American Bash '90 - B-
SummerSlam '90 - D
Clash of the Champions XII - D
Halloween Havoc '90 - C-
Clash of the Champions XIII - D
Survivor Series '90 - D+
Starrcade '90: Collision Course - B-

Royal Rumble '91 - D+
Clash of the Champions XIV - B-
WrestleWar '91 - C+
WrestleMania VII - D+
SuperBrawl - C-
Clash of the Champions XV - B-
The Great American Bash '91 - F
SummerSlam '91 - C-
Clash of the Champions XVI - C
Halloween Havoc '91 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVII - B-
Survivor Series '91 - D
This Tuesday in Texas - C
Starrcade '91: Battlebowl - C-

Royal Rumble '92 - B-
Clash of the Champions XVIII - B
SuperBrawl II - B+
WrestleMania VIII - B-
WrestleWar '92 - B-
Beach Blast '92 - B+
Clash of the Champions XIX - B
The Great American Bash '92 - C+
SummerSlam '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XX - B+
Halloween Havoc '92 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXI - C+
Survivor Series '92 - C-
Starrcade '92 - B-

Clash of the Champions XXII - B
Royal Rumble '93 - C
SuperBrawl III - B-
WrestleMania IX - C-
Slamboree '93 - D+
King of the Ring '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXIII - B-
Beach Blast '93 - B-
Clash of the Champions XXIV - C+
SummerSlam '93 - D
Fall Brawl '93 - C-
Halloween Havoc '93 - C+
Clash of the Champions XXV - C-
BattleBowl - D
Survivor Series '93 - F
Starrcade '93 - C

Royal Rumble '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVI - B-
SuperBrawl IV - B-
WrestleMania X - B-
Spring Stampede '94 - B
Slamboree '94 - C
King of the Ring '94 - D
Clash of the Champions XXVII - C
Bash at the Beach '94 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXVIII - C+
SummerSlam '94 - C-
Fall Brawl '94 - C-
Halloween Havoc '94 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXIX - D
Survivor Series '94 - F
Starrcade '94 - D

Royal Rumble '95 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXX - D+
SuperBrawl V - D+
Uncensored '95 - F
WrestleMania XI - D+
In Your House 1 - C-
Slamboree '95 - C-
The Great American Bash '95 - D
King of the Ring '95 - F
Bash at the Beach '95 - F
In Your House 2: The Lumberjacks - C
Clash of the Champions XXXI - C
SummerSlam '95 - C+
Fall Brawl '95 - D+
In Your House 3: Triple Header - C+
In Your House 4: Great White North - D+
Halloween Havoc '95 - F
Survivor Series '95 - C+
World War 3 '95 - C
In Your House 5: Seasons Beatings - C-
Starrcade '95 - B-

Royal Rumble '96 - C-
Clash of the Champions XXXII - C
SuperBrawl VI - D+
In Your House 6: Rage in the Cage - C-
Uncensored '96 - D
WrestleMania XII - B-
In Your House 7: Good Friends, Better Enemies - C-
Slamboree '96 - C
In Your House 8: Beware of Dog - B-
The Great American Bash '96 - B
King of the Ring '96 - B-
Bash at the Beach '96 - B
In Your House 9: International Incident - C-
Hog Wild - C
Clash of the Champions XXXIII - C+
SummerSlam '96 - D+
Fall Brawl '96 - B
In Your House 10: Mind Games - C
In Your House 11: Buried Alive - C+
Halloween Havoc '96 - C+
Survivor Series '96 - B-
World War 3 '96 - B-
In Your House 12: It's Time - C
Starrcade '96 - B-

Royal Rumble '97 - D+
Clash of the Champions XXXIV - C
Souled Out '97 - F
In Your House 13: Final Four - C+
SuperBrawl VII - C-
Uncensored '97 - B-
WrestleMania 13 - C
Spring Stampede '97 - C+
Barely Legal '97 - C-
In Your House 14: Revenge of the Taker - C-
In Your House 15: A Cold Day in Hell - C
Slamboree '97 - B-
King of the Ring '97 - D+
The Great American Bash '97 - C
In Your House 16: Canadian Stampede - B-
Bash at the Beach '97 - B
SummerSlam '97 - B
Road Wild '97 - D+
Hardcore Heaven '97 - C
Clash of the Champions XXXV - B-
Ground Zero: In Your House - D+
Fall Brawl '96 - C-
One Night Only - C
Badd Blood: In Your House - D+
Halloween Havoc '97 - B-
Survivor Series '97 - C+
World War 3 '97 - C+
November to Remember '97 - C
D-Generation X: In Your House - C
Starrcade '97 - D+

Royal Rumble '98 - C-
Souled Out '98 - C
No Way Out '98 - D+
I enjoyed Cactus Jack's hot tag to Austin.

At the LU taping, Tessa Blanchard made her debut in a dark match. Gutsy performance, she legit hurt her shoulder in the first 30 seconds yet kept going for minutes despite her opponent and the ref regularly asking her if she was okay.

Hopefully she makes a full recovery. I could see her being around in season 3 and on. For anyone wondering, she's Tully's daughter and Ricochet's girlfriend

number47

Brand him as eccentric d. Bry. Cuz as cool as he looks to US. he looks like a asian Danny brown. Who should his manager? And what color should her hair be?

galvatron

Hunter has to make sure everyone gets to see him.

And the clique does a curtain call every time one of them goes into the hall of fame with all of those old-timers right there to watch.

Still, if they want people to be really invested, they have to work out exactly what kayfabe means to them...or at least keep it consistent in a broadcast. I can't think of any other drama where they regularly break character mid show. Villain HHH and Steph shouldn't do cancer fund raisers in the middle of Raw, for example. Present it like a pre-taped ad or something, but doing it in the show proper seems problematic. Showing up at NXT after a beatdown is just another example of the problem.

And the clique does a curtain call every time one of them goes into the hall of fame with all of those old-timers right there to watch.

Still, if they want people to be really invested, they have to work out exactly what kayfabe means to them...or at least keep it consistent in a broadcast. I can't think of any other drama where they regularly break character mid show then pick it up again and expect to maintain momentum. Villain HHH and Steph shouldn't do cancer fund raisers in the middle of Raw, for example. Present it like a pre-taped ad or something, but doing it in the show proper seems problematic. Showing up at NXT after a beatdown is just another example of the problem.
I never really put the curtain call hof into perspective. It's like they're saying, "hey remember when we shook the business up by doing this?"

I wonder how do the old timers feel?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
NXT doesn't matter anyway, it's developmental. We just use them for video pkgs that play when they debut.

They've kinda been proven that its right considering how WWE fans have treated most of the people brought up from NXT.

NXT fans thought that Emma was a can't miss while most people who didn't watch NXT/didn't watch it much knew her gimmick was DOA.

Mahonay

Banned
They've kinda been proven that its right considering how WWE fans have treated most of the people brought up from NXT.

NXT fans thought that Emma was a can't miss while most people who didn't watch NXT/didn't watch it much knew her gimmick was DOA.
Emma's original gimmick was always going to fail.

As someone who doesn't get a chance to watch NXT, I can relate to this. Certain guys like Tyler Black, Pac, Steen I knew about but I never got to see them in NXT. At the same time those guys are the ones that are having great success.

galvatron

I never really put the curtain call hof into perspective. It's like they're saying, "hey remember when we shook the business up by doing this?"

I wonder how do the old timers feel?

To me, it might be the best bit of heel work the guy has ever done...it's downright spiteful to anyone who was on their ass for doing it the first time. I imagine, the objection was that it put the whole business and everyone's livelihood at risk. Now they run the place. I'm guessing he told the horsewomen to do a curtain call at Takeover Brooklyn as it's become his calling card.

galvatron

The last I saw she was with that one chick and Asuka pretty much made her look like a bitch. What's her gimmick? Is she like the sidekick?

Yeah, I thought she wrecked them a little too hard. Straight up Cena strong....then again, they were probably afraid of making her look weak or having her lose early in her run. I expected a win by DQ and an ongoing feud, but they seemed to tease her working Nia Jax.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The last I saw she was with that one chick and Asuka pretty much made her look like a bitch. What's her gimmick? Is she like the sidekick?

She came back from WWE disillusioned and tried to convince Bayley to turn to the dark side to get ahead in the business, else she'd get promoted and booed out of the place only to return to developmental. Then after that she started doing her dancing/bubble thing half heartedly before fully turning heel, getting awesome new heel music and dressing like a heel.

Really simple stuff but boy does it work. It even ties in to the eventual Sasha/Bayley feud as Sasha also used to be a goody goody and didn't want to go down the path of failure.

To me, it might be the best bit of heel work the guy has ever done...it's downright spiteful to anyone who was on their ass for doing it the first time. I imagine, the objection was that it put the whole business and everyone's livelihood at risk. Now they run the place. I'm guessing he told the horsewomen to do a curtain call at Takeover Brooklyn as it's become his calling card.
As you said he runs the place so he doesn't give a fuck and we say that it'll get better after Vince is out but holy christ it would be better if Kayfabe was somewhat established again. Of course Vinny himself broke it but even in the late 90s early 2000s, you still believed it. Get rid of some of this network shit. Why am I seeing good guys and bad guys play games with each other, I don't really care for it.
Yeah, I thought she wrecked them a little too hard. Straight up Cena strong....then again, they were probably afraid of making her look weak or having her lose early in her run. I expected a win by DQ and an ongoing feud, but they seemed to tease her working Nia Jax.
I think they wanted to establish just how great of a wrestler she is.

She came back from WWE disillusioned and tried to convince Bayley to turn to the dark side to get ahead in the business, else she'd get promoted and booed out of the place only to return to developmental. Then after that she started doing her dancing/bubble thing half heartedly before fully turning heel, getting awesome new heel music and dressing like a heel.

Really simple stuff but boy does it work. It even ties in to the eventual Sasha/Bayley feud as Sasha also used to be a goody goody and didn't want to go down the path of failure.
I see. I didn't know that about Sasha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom