• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

Friend I used to watch Florida Championship Wrestling with Kevin Sullivan v Ed the Bull Gantner , Rock and Roll Express v the Fantastics, and Horsemen in the Arn and Ole days.
My first live event was like Kevin Sullivan vs Dusty Rhodes , and the Steiners vs Raging Bull Manny Fernandez and Rick Rude
You are all good.

I wish I had been old enough to travel during those days. The 80's was a gold mine of wrasslin in Georgia and Florida.

orioto

Good Art™
AJ is not a good example of an "indie star", he was in TNA for a decade with most of that time having national TV. A much larger percentage of WWE fans would know him than those that would know say Kevin Owens pre-WWE, and the Rumble is in Orlando where Impact was based for years.

I don't know i always feel like there is the wwe and a really mainstream audience and everything doesn't exist for most WWE fans, at least the young ones. We saw how the new "monday night war" ended right. There was Hogan, Hardy.. but nobody gave a shit, the ratings barely moved for the tna. I always thuoght you have wrestling fans and the casual audience, and for that audience, there is nothing outside of the E'

Ithil

I don't know i always feel like there is the wwe and a really mainstream audience and everything doesn't exist for most WWE fans, at least the young ones. We saw how the new "monday night war" ended right. There was Hogan, Hardy.. but nobody gave a shit, the ratings barely moved for the tna. I always thuoght you have wrestling fans and the casual audience, and for that audience, there is nothing outside of the E'

You don't need literally every fan to know a person beforehand for them to get a reaction.

Xater

Bo one needs to know anyone. If you book shit smart you can make almost anyone work. None of these kids know who the fuck Sting is and yet he can come to WWE without any problem. It was booked well, he made an impact.

If you let these people from the outside show up and beat one of the WWE mid-card goobers of course no one will give a shit.

Gurrry

This will probably never happen.. but I was thinking today that it would be awesome to see Stardust come out at like 4-5, then have him get eliminated.. then come back around 15-16 and be Cody. Wash all the paint off and get back out there in time.

They could do a cool split personality angle where he gets a big babyface pop as Cody and when he comes back as Stardust on raw, everyone boo's him.

Im probably not the only one to think of this, but I think it would be decent

orioto

Good Art™
Bo one needs to know anyone. If you book shit smart you can make almost anyone work. None of these kids know who the fuck Sting is and yet he can come to WWE without any problem. It was booked well, he made an impact.

If you let these people from the outside show up and beat one of the WWE mid-card goobers of course no one will give a shit.

But Sting, or AJ are friggin' super cool and can be insta stars just like that. Clearly not Nakamura.

miserable

tumblr_nnx394Q4mk1qaqjuxo1_500.gif

Xater

But Sting, or AJ are friggin' super cool and can be insta stars just like that. Clearly not Nakamura.

Nakamura is cool, way cooler than old man Sting or AJ. Dude oozes charisma, looks interesting in his get up and can deliver fantastic matches.

This will probably never happen.. but I was thinking today that it would be awesome to see Stardust come out at like 4-5, then have him get eliminated.. then come back around 15-16 and be Cody. Wash all the paint off and get back out there in time.

They could do a cool split personality angle where he gets a big babyface pop as Cody and when he comes back as Stardust on raw, everyone boo's him.

Im probably not the only one to think of this, but I think it would be decent
With the lack of talent, it can happen

Hex

Banned

Nakamura has more charisma than pretty much anyone on the WWE roster right now, and it will transcend language.
It will take him no time at all to hold that crowd in his hands.

orioto

Good Art™
Nakamura is cool, way cooler than old man Sting or AJ. Dude oozes charisma, looks interesting in his get up and can deliver fantastic matches.

Nakamura has more charisma than pretty much anyone on the WWE roster right now, and it will transcend language.
It will take him no time at all to hold that crowd in his hands.

I don't know you must be really used to japanese wrestling but really.. there is a Huuuuuge cultural gap there.

Xater

I don't know you must be really used to japanese wrestling but really.. there is a Huuuuuge cultural gap there.

WK8 is the first time I have seen Nakamura and immediately loved the guy. You premise is wrong especially in comparison to Sting.

Sting comes out with goofy facepaint is old, fat and has a receding hairline. Doesn't even have his baseball bat with him most of the time which made him famous. What about that is "cool"? And AJ is great in the ring, and kinda lacks everything else. Well he looks alright, but probably also not WWE good.

Nakamura is actually just a few months older than Ziggler, Cesaro, Barrett, Miz, and Orton. They're all 35. I mean, he looks a lot older than 35, but he is not actually old.

Toki767

Nakamura probably won't have trouble gaining popularity.

The problem will be when WWE feels like they have to humble the guy for acting like he's a major star (because he is) just like what they do to everyone else (Mystico being the most recent example).

Kaladin

To be honest, I'm not worried about any of the New Japan star's debuts. WWE always gets that part right. It's what they do with them after the initial angle that they always fuck up. They can never answer the "Okay, now what?" question.

Xater

Nakamura probably won't have trouble gaining popularity.

The problem will be when WWE feels like they have to humble the guy for acting like he's a major star (because he is) just like what they do to everyone else (Mystico being the most recent example).

Mystico also turned put to be a total diva (unwilling to learn English) and botched all the time.

Caderfix

Honestly, he's a good wrestler, but the first impression is that he's an anime character. I don't see that as something good, not WWE good at least.

Both Sting and AJ have way, WAY more appeal to the general public than Nakamura does.

And I got to say, I started watching NJPW recently, and I was disappointed with Nakamura's stile in ring. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't that good either.

Of course, I want WWE to book him nicely and I want to become a fan, but, as of now, I don't think he'll be in the main event.

Ithil

But he's not even using Japanese culture, he's aping Freddy Mercury and Michael Jackson. And only a fool would say Freddy Mercury wasn't cool.

Hex

Banned

Nak wrestles plenty of gigs over here, for ROH and others as well as in the UK.
While those are Smark crowds for the most part, he rules them.

orioto

Good Art™
But he's not even using Japanese culture, he's aping Freddy Mercury and Michael Jackson. And only a fool would say Freddy Mercury wasn't cool.

Nah nah nah, not what i'm talking about here. And using American culture in that fashion is actually really japanese lol. I know just enough J wrestling to know they like a certain kind of strange bird, like wrestler with super ridiculous clothes or ugly faces and they can be super popular. I mean Nakamura would make me think almost about Dusty Rhodes in the 70's! There is a really different comedic tone in Japan, you can feel it everywhere, even in the way american wrestler act in the ring. Some things are really .. i don't know, suuuper cartoony.

Now i know this is also true (and maybe coming from japan ?) in the indy world. I find some things in NXt even, really super old school and ridiculous, like some super gimmicky tag teams or 10 minutes entries.. Not everything works everywhere the same i think.

somedevil

Nakamura is actually just a few months older than Ziggler, Cesaro, Barrett, Miz, and Orton. They're all 35. I mean, he looks a lot older than 35, but he is not actually old.

Probably him being a chain smoker has added to him looking older. WWE is going to try to get him to quit that habit.

Plus its up to booking to get him over. Look at Asuka. Did all the full sail people knew she was Kana? Those who didn't saw her being booked as this monster face who can work and in 4 months she is the number 2 face behind Bayley.

Xater

Nah nah nah, not what i'm talking about here. And using American culture in that fashion is actually really japanese lol. I know just enough J wrestling to know they like a certain kind of strange bird, like wrestler with super ridiculous clothes or ugly faces and they can be super popular. I mean Nakamura would make me think almost about Dusty Rhodes in the 70's! There is a really different comedic tone in Japan, you can feel it everywhere, even in the way american wrestler act in the ring. Some things are really .. i don't know, suuuper cartoony.

Now i know this is also true (and maybe coming from japan ?) in the indy world. I find some things in NXt even, really super old school and ridiculous, like some super gimmicky tag teams or 10 minutes entries.. Not everything works everywhere the same i think.

If you talk about the Vaudvillains then yes. Their gimmick is shit and would not go over anywhere that isn't NXT or Chikara.

Probably him being a chain smoker has added to him looking older. WWE is going to try to get him to quit that habit.

Plus its up to booking to get him over. Look at Asuka. Did all the full sail people knew she was Kana? Those who didn't saw her being booked as this monster face who can work and in 4 months she is the number 2 face behind Bayley.

And that happened because they made her a big. Deal they did the articles, the name introduction and then put her in a real program.

Ithil

People are overstating how necessary it is for fans to "know a performer" beforehand. It's only ever about how they are presented, and if you can't find a way to present a guy like Nakamura as a big deal then you should just quit the business and take up spirographs.

People are overstating how necessary it is for fans to "know a performer" beforehand. It's only ever about how they are presented, and if you can't find a way to present a guy like Nakamura as a big deal then you should just quit the business and take up spirographs.

I was chatting to our good friend Strobogo about this on twitter the other day. When I was a kid I didn't care or know where people came from when they first appeared (I had no idea other promotions other than WWF existed). I just assumed they were an angry cop, evil Clown or whatever. It really does depend on how they're presented.

klonere

Banned

The way NXT is structured allows for them to get big deal stars over way quicker than the main roster. There's no comparison possible. I mean nearly anybody who gets some semblance of an introductory push gets positive reactions in NXT and that's great .

On the main roster its just a total fucking crapshoot trainwreck depending on which what way they are feeling that particular Monday. I have negative faith in them to do anything good medium term with any of the signings.

FUkc you can have Naka and co immediately on the main roster just send Tyler back down for one last run at the title in NXT. He'd be crazy fucking over instead of being Superstars fodder 2 MONTHS IN.

Kaladin

I would handle Nakamura's debut the same way they handled Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens and Finn Balor's in NXT.

They made sure that fans who knew them knew they were the same people they used to be familiar with and they made sure that fans who were new to them saw enough to realize that these guys are stars coming into the promotion.

I have faith that if Nakamura goes to the main roster, WWE can give him the same kind of build and make him an instant name in the eyes of wrestling fans who only follow WWE.

klonere

Banned
I have no doubt that WWE will do the guys justice on their debuts and the proceeding month.

Get back to me after 3 months when they are all trading wins with Ambrose or some shit.

Xater

I have no doubt that WWE will do the guys justice on their debuts and the proceeding month.

Get back to me after 3 months when they are all trading wins with Ambrose or some shit.

Like I said I doubt they will make it work, because we have seen how stuff on the main roster can shake out. I do think though that it's possible.

klonere

Banned
Was listening to a random old B&V show from 2010, they were reviewing a DGUSA show.

Prescient tidbits included

- Davey Richards doing a huge dive, missing his target and being in the ring a few seconds later, pumping his fist. He left to go to ROH right after this show.
- A conversation about wanting guys to do less dives, especially Daniel Bryan who that week on NXT had nearly killed himself and Michael Cole doing one.
- (paraphrased) Alvarez "Your body is going to give out very soon doing that! Dynamite Kid and Chris Benoit are bad people to idolize in that sense, they both came to sticky ends! Try emulating Nick Bockwinkle maybe"
- (paraphrased) "I think that style is creeping into the WWE a bit right now but I bet they'll stop it as soon as they see the injuries or wear and tear" "We'll it has to happen to someone the care about first".
- A three way tag team match with tons of moves, zero psychology, a wacky kayfabe destroying chain head- scissors spot that made no sense, infinity dives, no story featuring none other than The Young Bucks!
- They couldn't identify the YBs at this stage and called the "blonde one" Shannon Buck.
- Typical DG main event stuff with their trademark stable warfare stuff. Not explained.
- Ric Flair promos being the best part of a show (TNA).

Plus ca change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom