• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good, I'm paying you good money to hold this place up.

Nah, they signed up for thia life, no matter what happens, sickness, weddings, holidays, birthdays, work, you post during raw.

I understand it's shitty but you can't ran from this life Bubba.

That's my life sadly

Fuck that, I'm taking every opportunity to be free from WWE. Wrestling-wise, there's every other company but TNA. Sports wise there's every other sport. Today and tomorrow wise there's marathoning of Bowie's whole discography to be done

These goys are going to break some arms

CYf00q5UoAE7MqQ.jpg

Part of the reason NXT and WWE are so different is because HHH wants to get rid of Dunn and company, and Dunn is holding on for dear life in terms of power. Once Vince goes; I think Steph goes full scale corporate job and HHH brings in his booking team (the NXT team) to move forward.

That's great and all but Vince won't let go of power (die) for at least another 20 years. Who knows if NXT would even last another 5 when all of their main talent don't even have that many years left in the tank for full time schedule.

The product is so sad right now. Every time they plug the network it makes me cringe.

Foffy

Banned
That's great and all but Vince won't let go of power (die) for at least another 20 years. Who knows if NXT would even last another 5 when all of their main talent don't even have that many years left in the tank for full time schedule.

The product is so sad right now. Every time they plug the network it makes me cringe.

Think of it this way: when they plug the WWE Network, they are literally telling you to watch NXT and not main roster garbage.

They're actually trying to get you to the goods. Bullshit people with a free Rumble where Roman overcomes the o d d s, and get WWE's best programming that is exclusive to them.

Mahonay

Banned
Surprisingly it sounds like there were a couple bright spots on RAW. Will have to skim through when I get the chance.

Just wish they could find a way to not make the other 75 percent of every RAW episode absolute dog shit.

Fucking dreadful show, cool to see Kalisto win with next to no heat behind it I guess, maybe they'll finally push them as they should have months ago. I guess Dean vs Sheamus was okay? The Becky/Charlotte angle has some how become the only interesting storyline in WWE, WTF?!

Why are they still trying to get Roman to do power moves when every time he does he barely manages it and it's always a struggle? Breeze weighs what? 200, 205 tops maybe? Roman looks like he's always on the verge of pulling/ripping something.

I need to just start watching the Youtube highlights, five minutes might just be enough.
I look forward to this thread when Nakamura gets 'USA' chants despite being a face when he faces off against an American heel in flyover country.

He'll get USA chants while working against someone else who also isn't from the USA because most WWE crowds are stupid and too many idiots get together in a group the collective intelligence of the group drops even further.

The thing she would be a great heel in the diva division since there she could her just dessert.

This is Stephanie we're talking about here, no one gets anything over on her except Vicky when she left. She's pretty much been untouchable for the last six or so years.

Think of it this way: when they plug the WWE Network, they are literally telling you to watch NXT and not main roster garbage.

They're actually trying to get you to the goods. Bullshit people with a free Rumble where Roman overcomes the o d d s, and get WWE's best programming that is exclusive to them.
And everytime you ignore it, you're only hurting yourself lol

Anth0ny

I look forward to this thread when Nakamura gets 'USA' chants despite being a face when he faces off against an American heel in flyover country.

I'm sure this will be the logic when he gets to the main roster, unfortunately. He's Japanese, he has to be a heel!

Please give him a nxt run. Pls.

KingBroly

Banned
Painfully obvious prediction here

Roman enters at Number 1 (It's his Rumble, he's defending the title)

Brock enters at Number 30 (They should try and escalate it to this point, where the more known/bigger players come out later, making it harder and harder for Reigns until BROCK.LESNAR)

Hunter comes out, screws Reigns over, Brock wins

Reigns v. Hunter at Fastlane. If Reigns wins, he gets his rematch at WM

Reigns v. Lesnar at WM. LOLReignsWins

I know people hate predictability in WWE, or at least PAINFULLY OBVIOUS predictability, but this is PAINFULLY OBVIOUS

Brock enters at Number 30 (They should try and escalate it to this point, where the more known/bigger players come out later, making it harder and harder for Reigns until BROCK.LESNAR)

I know people hate predictability in WWE, or at least PAINFULLY OBVIOUS predictability, but this is PAINFULLY OBVIOUS

With Roman Superman punching him out of the ring.

UberTag

If there's one thing the WWE loves to do it's to book PAINFULLY OBVIOUS outcomes with no long-term planning beyond those outcomes.

hamchan

Things I liked today:

Kalisto continues getting a big push.
Xavier's "WHYYYY" at the trombone getting destroyed

I forgot what else happened

If there's one thing the WWE loves to do it's to book PAINFULLY OBVIOUS outcomes with no long-term planning beyond those outcomes.

Thing is though... then what? If Reigns beats H and goes on to pin god king Lesnar, at Mania no less (where he ended the streak), who will be a credible threat? Nobody. There has to be a swerve here somewhere - Reigns turns heel to beat Lesnar at mania maybe? But then, that puts us back in Lesnar/HHH territory again and nobody wants that shit.

Striker

Why are they still trying to get Roman to do power moves when every time he does he barely manages it and it's always a struggle? Breeze weighs what? 200, 205 tops maybe? Roman looks like he's always on the verge of pulling/ripping something.
He should do the Jackhammer doe.

UberTag

Thing is though... then what? If Reigns beats H and goes on to pin god king Lesnar, at Mania no less (where he ended the streak), who will be a credible threat? Nobody. There has to be a swerve here somewhere - Reigns turns heel to beat Lesnar at mania maybe? But then, that puts us back in Lesnar/HHH territory again and nobody wants that shit.
Plenty of options to make Roman look strong post-Wrestlemania. Ambrose heel turn. Seth's return. The Balor Club. Those seem to be the logical follow-ups until they can build up someone else to challenge him like Owens or Strowman.

Well if they were smart they'd try to book at least 3 months at a time.

They can barely book beyond three weeks (and usually don't) in advance these days except for who they want facing who at WM and that's only the top two or three matches. It's

He should do the Jackhammer doe.

Well, he's already doing a spear... It looks like crap like it does for everyone not named Goldberg but he's doing it. Hell, Charlotte might have the best looking spear on the roster, granted a lot of that is thanks to how it gets sold.

Xater

New Japan is just stripping Nakamura of the title? Is there a story justification or did they just hit the panic button? I would have thought they do it in a match no matter how obvious.

Forkball

New Japan is just stripping Nakamura of the title? Is there a story justification or did they just hit the panic button? I would have thought they do it in a match no matter how obvious.
It allows NJPW to have a big tournament (you know how much they love those) and if Nakamura comes back, you immediately have your first angle.

lupin23rd

It allows NJPW to have a big tournament (you know how much they love those) and if Nakamura comes back, you immediately have your first angle.

It looks like they are already advertising Kenny Omega vs "X" for the title at New Beginning in Niigata unless my Japanese is wrong.

Kiyo

It looks like they are already advertising Kenny Omega vs "X" for the title at New Beginning in Niigata unless my Japanese is wrong.

Yep, Meltzer speculates that it's probably Tanahashi since they don't have another big name ready and in a position to challenge for that title.

KingBroly

Banned
They can barely book beyond three weeks (and usually don't) in advance these days except for who they want facing who at WM and that's only the top two or three matches. It's

Well, he's already doing a spear... It looks like crap like it does for everyone not named Goldberg but he's doing it. Hell, Charlotte might have the best looking spear on the roster, granted a lot of that is thanks to how it gets sold.

Sure, I know their booking is a mess. But the reason some shows are better than others, particularly the post-Mania Raws, is they know where their pieces will be for a while, or at least a very good idea. Brock losing the Title and being suspended because he was upset. Whether it was to Reigns or because of Rollins' thievery, it was always going to happen that way.

At least Orton-Rollins was a Title program. It could've been Reigns-Big Show for the Title. Fucking hell.

Yep, Meltzer speculates that it's probably Tanahashi since they don't have another big name ready and in a position to challenge for that title.

Man, as an outsider, New Japan booking constantly makes zero sense to me. You just bump Omega up to heavyweight as a new big challenger, and he's immediately going to lose to Tana?

Xater

Man, as an outsider, New Japan booking constantly makes zero sense to me. You just bump Omega up to heavyweight as a new big challenger, and he's immediately going to lose to Tana?

I am paying attention to it and the whole thing seems like a weird decision.

Kiyo

I guess they could have the Bullet Club/The Elite help Omega win, solidifying him as the strong new leader of the group. Or maybe they write off the leaving Bullet Club members in this match by having them cost Omega the title somehow.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just watched the US title match in YouTube form, some observations:
1. Crowd is dead, poor guy.
2. He wins the belt via surprise roll-up, after having Del Rio kick out of his finisher twice.

This company. It's like they're incapable of letting a guy get over

Just watched the US title match in YouTube form, some observations:
1. Crowd is dead, poor guy.
2. He wins the belt via surprise roll-up, after having Del Rio kick out of his finisher twice.

This company. It's like they're incapable of letting a guy get over

"THIS LITTLE GUY JUST WENT SPLAT MAGGLE"

klonere

Banned
Watching some youtube clips from Raw.

Dead crowd. Incredibly dead.

Also can't believe that Naka can't properly drop the belt. How could WWE/NJPW not come to an agreement over that? That's the second time a big star has just had to vacate the belt before heading to WWE.

Hex

Banned
Took the crowd out? Birk got a fucking massive pop

That is cute for Brock, but everyone including blind auntie Bessie who never has watched wrasslin a day in her life knew exactly how things were going to go so the crowd was sitting on their hands all night waiting for Brock.

Striker

Rhyno's spear is right after Goldberg, then no one else is really close.

He's not the type who can lift these huge dudes and do the full stall of the impact. Goldberg did that to everybody, even The Giant. I'm not sure what is beneficial to a guy who can't really do a lot of power moves that aren't running strikes. It's probably the best for him, even though having both a signature and finisher as running moves is goofy. If he knew how to do a legitimate spinebuster, that could work. Get Ron Simmons or Arn to work with him, but they can only do so much.

And Raw really needs to stop having these uber-competitive false finish matches. Finishers are completely dead if they're being kicked out of a consistent basis on a regular show.

Menome

Sandow on TV again!

...in the background, for about two minutes. Oh well, hopefully going by the comments at the start of RAW he's at least going to be part of the Rumble.

I look forward to Del Rio calling Kalisto's win "lucky" next week, Kalisto jobbing constantly, and winning all of his actual defenses via rollup.

I guess they're having Nakamura vacate the IC belt either because there's one show where they could potentially do the switch (1/30) and it's only a Korakuen Hall show. Also, Nakamura had apparently offered to stay beyond his contract to properly finish up, but New Japan declined and preferred him to vacate the title.

On the one hand, it's shitty that Nakamura doesn't put someone over on his way out and only highlights how idiotic it was to cut off Goto's legs like they did with his IC title run last year. But, on the other hand, Omega feuding with Tanahashi would definitely be something to look forward to - I can see them doing a redemption storyline for Tanahashi off the back of this. Loses at WK, loses the IC title to Omega and fails to win the NJC (or wins it then fails in his title shot), which will set him up for a good G1 run, maybe have him in the finals (vs Naito!!).

I guess they're having Nakamura vacate the IC belt either because there's one show where they could potentially do the switch (1/30) and it's only a Korakuen Hall show. Also, Nakamura had apparently offered to stay beyond his contract to properly finish up, but New Japan declined and preferred him to vacate the title.

On the one hand, it's shitty that Nakamura doesn't put someone over on his way out and only highlights how idiotic it was to cut off Goto's legs like they did with his IC title run last year. But, on the other hand, Omega feuding with Tanahashi would definitely be something to look forward to - I can see them doing a redemption storyline for Tanahashi off the back of this. Loses at WK, loses the IC title to Omega and fails to win the NJC (or wins it then fails in his title shot), which will set him up for a good G1 run, maybe have him in the finals (vs Naito!!).

That really sucks. One, it kills all the momentum he built up for the IC belt, since now nobody will be the one to defeat him for it. Two, it kills Omega's momentum dead, as he was going to be the one to do it.

I agree that Tanahashi should be the one Omega beats to win the title, as doing so instantly legitimizes the belt and Omega again - not as much as if he beat Nakamura, but it still helps. Then we get an NJC finals of Naito vs. Tanahashi, Naito wins, and boom, Naito is in the main event. They're going to have to build him up big now since he's the top heel with AJ gone.

Hex

Banned
I look forward to Del Rio calling Kalisto's win "lucky" next week, Kalisto jobbing constantly, and winning all of his actual defenses via rollup.

The underdog role works.
It worked with Rey, and it will get Kallisto over even more.
Not sure why people are being salty about it.
Do people expect Kallisto to dominate Del Rio or something? Seriously?
Someone that they can slot into the WWE title scene if they need to or anywhere else?

klonere

Banned
That really sucks. One, it kills all the momentum he built up for the IC belt, since now nobody will be the one to defeat him for it. Two, it kills Omega's momentum dead, as he was going to be the one to do it.

I agree that Tanahashi should be the one Omega beats to win the title, as doing so instantly legitimizes the belt and Omega again - not as much as if he beat Nakamura, but it still helps. Then we get an NJC finals of Naito vs. Tanahashi, Naito wins, and boom, Naito is in the main event. They're going to have to build him up big now since he's the top heel with AJ gone.

Tana losing in three consecutive big matches seems to be a pretty risky proposition right now. It'd be cool and good to build new stars but very risky. Can't completely drain Tana of his ability to put someone over by a clean win so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom