• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heroman

Banned
... and that's the problem with you new guys; you all think about yourself. You come in here and post your 240 character twitter one liners that don't connect with the crowd, don't push the angles with other posts and don't get anyone talking. You're all concerned about your own followers and likes, you can't spare a moment to help draw in new fans for WrassleGAF. You're all thinking about hashtags over views and replies. You'll be the death of this community.

I sit here today and think about the 'old men' who made WrassleGAF, the legends even before my time - Professor Beef, dream, heel, and friends - who were WrassleGAF before WrassleGAF was mainstream. The pioneers of our Sports Entertainment Community who helped propel us into the new age - Sunflower, bootaaay, Data West, jaekwon, tm24 and friends. They all knew one thing... how to make it interesting for all. A variety of posting styles and abilities that complimented each other, that worked together. None of this cookie cutter crap we're plagued with today. Guys could talk back then, all we get now is the same discussion over and over again that's only being listened to by the person talking.

You're all still rookies trying to live up to standards created by true legends.

What are you talking about?

Mahonay

Banned
Meltzer notoriously refuses to report anything that isn't at least confirmed by two completely different and credible sources. Which is why he will often tell his co-host that he won't confirm or deny something, but he will tell him off the air.

Most of the false rumors that go around come from WrestleZone, PWI or the copy/paste dirtsheets.
Tons of false Meltzer quotes getting posted at all those sites over the past couple of years. People use it as a reason to claim he's full of shit.

Recall

Meltzer notoriously refuses to report anything that isn't at least confirmed by two completely different and credible sources. Which is why he will often tell his co-host that he won't confirm or deny something, but he will tell him off the air.

Most of the false rumors that go around come from WrestleZone, PWI or the copy/paste dirtsheets.

And this is why you're the best, you know your shit, you say it straight and I get educated.

Ithil

Yes. Meltzer's business hinges on his credibility. His decades-old newsletter is predicated on reporting on stories that nobody else can tell. How do you not see the distinction?

Clearly one should believe everything a wrestler says instead. It's not as though they would ever be dishonest to a fan.

Xater

Tons of false Meltzer quotes getting posted at all those sites over the past couple of years. People use it as a reason to claim he's full of shit.

Or speculation on their end posted as fact. This recently has led to Alvarez always doing a huge disclaimer that the next thing he will say is speculation, so that he will not be misquoted.

For real, Dave has vetted himself decades ago, he's a legitimate reporter. Attacking him because he said something you don't like or predicted something that didn't happen just makes you salty. Why be salty?

dream

Clearly one should believe everything a wrestler says instead. It's not as though they would ever be dishonest to a fan.

That's what baffles me. The sheer cognitive dissonance it takes to believe someone whose entire existence is a lie is just beyond me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is there anyone else on the men's side who are ready to go from NXT? Sami, Enzo/Cass (& Carmella), Balor, and the NJPW guys are clearly all coming soon, but it feels like they need a lot more than that to shore up the roster issues.

This is why they need Sami Zayn yesterday: they have 2 faces on the roster that are considered credible threats to beat up even someone like Kevin Owens who got promoted 6 months ago.

Recall

I always liked it when Triple H applied the Indian Deathlock. I think he always saved it for PPV matches, it was too good to be wasted on a RAW.

Kaladin

Guys. Dave Meltzer and people like Mike Johnson over at PWINSIDER rely on back stage sources to bring stories from a company who more or less would prefer to not have these stories get out by other sources. Here is a shocker, they would prefer that you didn't know 75% of the things reported by the dirt sheets. So they rely on sources and third party information which may or may not be reliable. Even Scott Steiner would tell you they're gonna be wrong about 33% of the time.

Xater

This is why they need Sami Zayn yesterday: they have 2 faces on the roster that are considered credible threats to beat up even someone like Kevin Owens who got promoted 6 months ago.

Zayn should be called up to continue his already established storyline with Owens.

Recall

Guys. Dave Meltzer and people like Mike Johnson over at PWINSIDER rely on back stage sources to bring stories from a company who more or less would prefer to not have these stories get out by other sources. Here is a shocker, they would prefer that you didn't know 75% of the things reported by the dirt sheets. So they rely on sources and third party information which may or may not be reliable. Even Scott Steiner would tell you they're gonna be wrong about 33% of the time.

#WrestleMath

#Scrivens3.14

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
She hasn't hit her quota of 3 minute nothing matches. Get her back out there!

I think if Sasha was healthy she'd be out there. They've consistently protected Sasha as a wrestler even if she's not really doing anything and consistently thrown her out there to keep her mindshare.

The Divas division is Becky, Charlotte, Sasha and Nikki, Paige and about 5 or 6 jobbers (2 of which are allegedly hurt). There's nobody credible for Sasha to even fight (if that was happening) until and unless Nikki or Paige come back or Becky and Charlotte stop fighting (which I expect to run through WrestleMania)

Mahonay

Banned
Most of us are #teammeltz. Preaching to the choir at this point.

Hex

Banned
I think Meltzer hits more than misses.
I also think that the E goes out of their way to try and keep whatever they can from being confirmed if they can help it.
Nobody will bay .1000 though.

I should be clear that I never meant to suggest that Dave Meltzer was a terrible wrestling reporter. By all respects he is quite good at it.
Moreover I am suggesting that being a wrestling reporter or purveying the services of one is a terrible thing.

Mahonay

Banned
I should be clear that I never meant to suggest that Dave Meltzer was a terrible wrestling reporter. By all respects he is quite good at it.
Moreover I am suggesting that being a wrestling reporter or purveying the services of one is a terrible thing.
Being a wrestling fan in 2016 is a terrible thing too.

Mahonay

Banned
Oh yes, absolutely.
That's why I have always considered myself more of a wrestling observer.
bGVhZ.jpg

Somewhere out there, Meltzer is still swearing that the WM20 main event is going to be a Ladder Match.

I love Da Meltz, but someone really mislead him on that one, haha. Even in the last WON leading up to WM20, he was still swearing up and down it was going to be a Ladder Match and that "I guess they probably aren't going to announce it until the day of the show."

Still nowhere near as bad as Bob Ryder's post on 1Wrestling in June 2001 saying that Bret Hart was coming back to the WWF to lead the WCW Invasion.

When he originally posted it, the headline said "BRET HART RETURNING TO LEAD WCW INVASION". About an hour later, he added a ? to the end of it and pretty much changed the tone of the article from definitely to possibly maybe.

The whole thing was a circus and pretty much destroyed Ryder's credibility forever.

http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=005219

Angry Grimace

I don't even think they have a real choice but to promote Balor and keep him firmly face unless AJ Styles is booked like a mega-face or something.

You have to fill 8 or 9 matches for WrestleMania and they have 2 faces which credibly could be on the card, 3 if you assume Zayn makes it on the card.

I mean, right now I can think of like 6 matches that could even exist

Lesnar v. Roman 2: Roman Gets His Win Back
Ambrose v. ???
Owens fighting someone
Divas Match
A Wyatt Family match of some kind
The Undertaker fights someone

I think Meltzer hits more than misses.
I also think that the E goes out of their way to try and keep whatever they can from being confirmed if they can help it.
Nobody will bay .1000 though.

I'm pretty sure Seth Rollins was batting about that when he was the champ

Kaladin

Somewhere out there, Meltzer is still swearing that the WM20 main event is going to be a Ladder Match.

I love Da Meltz, but someone really mislead him on that one, haha. Even in the last WON leading up to WM20, he was still swearing up and down it was going to be a Ladder Match and that "I guess they probably aren't going to announce it until the day of the show."

Still nowhere near as bad as Bob Ryder's post on 1Wrestling in June 2001 saying that Bret Hart was coming back to the WWF to lead the WCW Invasion.

When he originally posted it, the headline said "BRET HART RETURNING TO LEAD WCW INVASION". About an hour later, he added a ? to the end of it and pretty much changed the tone of the article from definitely to possibly maybe.

The whole thing was a circus and pretty much destroyed Ryder's credibility forever.

http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=005219

I remember passing off Meltzer's ladder match prediction as him doing a bit of nostalgic fantasy booking on the WON at the time. "They've got to do a ladder match at 20 as the main event because 10 had the most amazing ladder match of all time!"

Angry Grimace

I forgot about New Day doing the job for the Usos on the pre-show, that's happening

thefro

Is there anyone else on the men's side who are ready to go from NXT? Sami, Enzo/Cass (& Carmella), Balor, and the NJPW guys are clearly all coming soon, but it feels like they need a lot more than that to shore up the roster issues.

- Samoa Joe, obviously

- Baron Corbin could probably use another 5-6 months in NXT, but if they called him up now he'd be fine.

- Tye Dillinger with the Perfect 10 gimmick could be a midcarder

- Most of the tag teams. I think the Vaudevillians' gimmick wouldn't get over on the main roster, but anyone else would if pushed.

Is it lonely when most of the people in the thread have you on ignore?
There's an ignore feature? I never use it.
... and that's the problem with you new guys; you all think about yourself. You come in here and post your 240 character twitter one liners that don't connect with the crowd, don't push the angles with other posts and don't get anyone talking. You're all concerned about your own followers and likes, you can't spare a moment to help draw in new fans for WrassleGAF. You're all thinking about hashtags over views and replies. You'll be the death of this community.

I sit here today and think about the 'old men' who made WrassleGAF, the legends even before my time - Professor Beef, dream, heel, and friends - who were WrassleGAF before WrassleGAF was mainstream. The pioneers of our Sports Entertainment Community who helped propel us into the new age - Sunflower, bootaaay, Data West, jaekwon, tm24 and friends. They all knew one thing... how to make it interesting for all. A variety of posting styles and abilities that complimented each other, that worked together. None of this cookie cutter crap we're plagued with today. Guys could talk back then, all we get now is the same discussion over and over again that's only being listened to by the person talking.

You're all still rookies trying to live up to standards created by true legends.
You typed too much Bubba. We're trying to lay ofg the body enhancements and be pure 100% men dude. And that begins with the Hip Broken Kid Bluekaveli. Ooooooh yeah!

Hex

Banned
I don't even think they have a real choice but to promote Balor and keep him firmly face unless AJ Styles is booked like a mega-face or something.

You have to fill 8 or 9 matches for WrestleMania and they have 2 faces which credibly could be on the card, 3 if you assume Zayn makes it on the card.

I mean, right now I can think of like 6 matches that could even exist

Lesnar v. Roman 2: Roman Gets His Win Back
Ambrose v. ???
Owens fighting someone
Divas Match
A Wyatt Family match of some kind
The Undertaker fights someone

I'm pretty sure Seth Rollins was batting about that when he was the champ

Well played

I love those dudes, but i know they're even more DOA on the main roster than Tyler Breeze if they use the current gimmick
Yeah the one cool thing about NXT is that they can be what they are. I saw their entrances and what not and I was actually in shock. Never seen them a day in my life but I loved them. The only thing they're missing is the big bulky guy with huge muscles and tge one strap similar to The Giat.

Kaladin

I love those dudes, but i know they're even more DOA on the main roster than Tyler Breeze if they use the current gimmick

I think the basic problem with NXT gimmick wrestlers is the gimmick isn't fully fleshed out. Sure, you have a great look, entrance and some characterizations but beyond that there is nothing for fans to latch on to. The NXT product lives and dies with what happens in the ring, and that's fine for the NXTZone, but outside of Orlando, it won't translate as well with larger crowds. It's why The Ascension failed.

Enzo and Cass on the other hand will be money when they go to the main roster because they have the crowd interaction that is such a hit with the audience in general.

Xater

I think the basic problem with NXT gimmick wrestlers is the gimmick isn't fully fleshed out. Sure, you have a great look, entrance and some characterizations but beyond that there is nothing for fans to latch on to. The NXT product lives and dies with what happens in the ring, and that's fine for the NXTZone, but outside of Orlando, it won't translate as well with larger crowds. It's why The Ascension failed.

Enzo and Cass on the other hand will be money when they go to the main roster because they have the crowd interaction that is such a hit with the audience in general.

The Ascension always sucked, both in-ring and outside of it. Bad example.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Where does that leave the 8% then huh, with Smoa' Joe?

Nekofrog

Banned

Didn't the Ascension fail because they were almost immediately derided by commentary as posers/imitators from the second they were on screen? Not to mention, they were jobbed left right and center, and beaten up by a gang of geriatrics.

If they let Jordan and Gable go up and just do their thing they would get over but I imagine they will have a long nxt title reign at some point first.

Crews needs something else (his old entrance music for one)

Samoa Joe will get over on being Samoa Joe

Corbin will come up if we like it or not

What is Ciampa's status? Is he signed? Can he have his talking heads theme please?

Kaladin

The Ascension always sucked, both in-ring and outside of it. Bad example.

You get my point though. I guess you could say the same for Neville on the main roster. On NXT he got over based on his ring work and was the man that gravity forgot, but on the main roster he's a flippy indie mid-card guy with a cape and none of the heel work he got to try on NXT has had a chance to translate over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom