• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahonay

Banned
I wish I was as cool as Meltzer.
Keep dreamin'
tsBjfAfH_400x400.png

Mahonay

Banned
I'm not crazy about Alvarez either, but listening to Dave completely no sell every one of his jokes is pretty great.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know, I always thought she was pretty shitty. She just had a great look and character. People would talk about her promos and I was kind of like, not seeing it. At all. Calling them promos seemed generous.

It was a strong gimmick with a decent worker and a great look to complement it, but I don't think playing the ice queen is some super difficult task.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've got to work in the morning, so I'll have to watch it sometime tomorrow.

Don't worry about spoilers. I know how it'll end.

Do we have a chat set up? Also we need a viewer headcount for the OT.

Edit: And just to make things clear, Boots is right, the pre-show starts in 5 hours, the rumble will probably start a little after that, show proper starts in 6.

Do we have a chat set up? Also we need a viewer headcount for the OT.

Edit: And just to make things clear, Boots is right, the pre-show starts in 5 hours, the rumble will probably start a little after that, show proper starts in 6.

Won't be watching. Monday is a 4:30am wake up for me. Going to try and watch it on my train ride.

Triple h really hates Google

The arrest of Vince McMahon's character on Raw last week for laying his hands on a detective from the New York City Police Department brought back memories of the time Stephanie McMahon was arrested on WWE's flagship show.

In spring 2014, Stephanie threatened to fire Brie Bella if her injured husband, Daniel Bryan, did not relinquish the WWE World Heavyweight Championship at the Payback pay-per-view. This led Brie to quit WWE at the event before slapping Stephanie in the face. Stephanie got her revenge by putting Brie's sister Nikki in several handicap matches in the ensuing weeks. Brie returned to WWE television the following month, appearing in the crowd on the July 21, 2014 episode of Raw to show her support for Nikki. She argued her way into a physical confrontation with Stephanie that saw her slapped and banned from ringside. Later in the show, plain-clothes detectives arrested Stephanie for aggravated battery at the urging of Brie.

While the arrest angles are quite similar, there is one major difference. WWE released a mug shot of Vince (through social media, and it was shown during Raw), but not of Stephanie. Kevin Eck, who was on WWE's creative team at the time, explains in his latest column why there was no mug shot of her.
While tossing around ideas for the angle in a creative meeting, Eck suggested that a mug shot-style photo be taken of Stephanie and shown on television. Triple H, however, hated the idea.

Eck wrote, "Vince loved it. In fact, I think I may have gotten one of his "that's good thinking" figurative pats on the back. However, when the creative team ran the angle by Triple H, he didn't care for any of it, and he especially hated the mug shot idea."

"His reasoning was that the faux mug shot of his wife would exist forever in cyberspace, and therefore if someone did a Google search on Stephanie and the photo popped up, people might think she had actually been arrested, which could be detrimental to her career as WWE's Chief Brand

Mahonay

Banned
Didn't Meltzer have a bad track record as of late?
What?

People have been annoyed lately with some of his "this might happen...and it might not happen" analysis, but considering his body of work over the past 45 years I think it's safe to trust the man. He pretty much always has inside sources to pull from.

Samus4145

Rumble will be a stare down between Strowman and Brock with Undertaker entering at number 30.

Nights will go out and he will appear in the ring and double chokeslam both of them. It will end with Brock going to F5 Strowman out of the ring and Taker pushes both of them over.

thefro

What?

People have been annoyed lately with some of his "this might happen...and it might not happen" analysis, but considering his body of work over the past 45 years I think it's safe to trust the man. He pretty much always has inside sources to pull from.

The business has changed and WWE doesn't have a traditional booking committee that plans things out in advance.

When you think about the kind of sources he had and the level of power they had (Ross, Cornette, Heyman, Austin, Rock, Bret, Foley, Flair, Jericho, etc), it's hard to imagine his sources are as good now.

I don't see Meltzer talking to Cena a lot, for instance.

The impression I've gotten since Meltzer went on the web is that he'll generally keep a lid on good angles and leak out bad ones (maybe to help his sources) so they get changed.

Mahonay

Banned
Rumble will be a stare down between Strowman and Brock with Undertaker entering at number 30.

Nights will go out and he will appear in the ring and double chokeslam both of them. It will end with Brock going to F5 Strowman out of the ring and Taker pushes both of them over.
kWYqia7.jpg

Mahonay

Banned
The business has changed and WWE doesn't have a traditional booking committee that plans things out in advance.

When you think about the kind of sources he had and the level of power they had (Ross, Cornette, Heyman, Austin, Rock, Bret, Foley, Flair, Jericho, etc), it's hard to imagine his sources are as good now.

I don't see Meltzer talking to Cena a lot, for instance.

The impression I've gotten since Meltzer went on the web is that he'll generally keep a lid on good angles and leak out bad ones (maybe to help his sources) so they get changed.
Valid points, no idea who he talks to now. The younger guys are way more aware of things like The Observer than talent of yesteryear, so I imagine there has to be someone that reaches out to him.

I don't see Cena talking to him either.

And yeah he does seem to tend to only leak out story/booking info for really bad shit.

Meltzer was the first to report about TNA loosing their TV deal. He still gets gold just not as much as 98

He also the best history guy in the biz, his obits/retrospectives are second to none.

I wish Meltzer dumped Alvarez. Good God WoR is basically unlisted able these days with him.

Don't be stupid. If it weren't for the merger with Bryan Alvarez, Meltzer would still be on a site that made Angelfire look state-of-the-art, and we'd all be waiting for our Observers to arrive in the mail. Alvarez is easily one of the hardest-working guy in wrestling podcasting. And he's sunk thousands of dollars making the weekly podcasts sound very professional.

Mahonay

Banned
Don't be stupid. If it weren't for the merger with Bryan Alvarez, Meltzer would still be on a site that made Angelfire look state-of-the-art, and we'd all be waiting for our Observers to arrive in the mail. Alvarez is easily one of the hardest-working guy in wrestling podcasting. And he's sunk thousands of dollars making the weekly podcasts sound very professional.
But I like Angelfire sites.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If that's the case, then you should check out Kinnikuman Muscle Grand Prix Max 2. It's the last "Wrestling" game AKI ever made.

Best arcade wrestling game ever.

Def Jam 1, if it had more robust modes would have beaten it, but it's super bare bones.

He's gret behind the scenes but I'd wish he'd stay there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom