• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Elias Samson is such a mess. Take that bumpkin gimmick back to the Godwinns.

klonere

Banned
Like, do they have anyone doing semi-long term booking outside of the storyline for Roman Reigns? The rest of the roster doesn't even feel like it's being booked by a human being. Some kind of machine that just spits out entirely 50/50 scenarios.

Becky and Charlotte is the only other storyline that gets significant time to do anything and actually progresses each week.

So 1 full storyline per gender seems to be the current limits of the creative team.

I keep saying but they have KEVIN OWENS and DEAN AMBROSE in a feud and there has not be a great face to face promo segment with them. It's just been real quick backstage interviews (if that) and matches on matches on matches none of which get any real heat because the only reason they are fighting is Owens wants the belt back, a belt that means next to nothing so NO ONE CARES.

Mahonay

Banned
I've seen much worse. It needs time and a lot of work. That's what NXT is for.

One of the only gimmicks in NXT where I was just like "fuck off with this" was the Solomon Crowe goth troll doll that could magically hack all the video equipment. Total fucking abortion.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Becky and Charlotte
Dean Ambrose and Kevin Owens
The New Day and the Usos have a random sort of feud which is pretty dumb
Roman Reigns is basically the rest of the show

They're going to have to invent shit for the rest of the card unless they expand the rumble again

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've seen much worse. It needs time and a lot of work. That's what NXT is over.

One of the only gimmicks in NXT where I was just like "fuck off with this" was the Solomon Crowe goth troll doll that could magically hack all the video equipment. Total fucking abortion.

Crazy how they couldn't salvage him, either.

kiguel182

Solomon Crowe had a bad gimmick, a bad look and wasn't particularly interesting in the ring. Not much that could be done there apart from a total repackaging.

Elias Samson is a disaster too. I have no idea what they were thinking with that one.

Sephzilla

Solomon Crowe wasn't salvageable because he had issues that stemmed beyond having a truly awful gimmick. He couldn't carry a decent promo. He didn't have much ring presence. His move set wasn't really that good either.

Smackdown Spoiler:

The curse of the 50/50 booking strikes again:

Why? The final match will likely be at the Rumble but there way betters ways to book this then
playing hot potato with the title.

It's like I'm watching 2000 WCW all over again. WWE actively finds ways to ruin anything good it does.

Sephzilla

Darren Young should honestly be released. The dude gets hurt so much he makes Wade Barrett look like a bastion of health by comparison.

Hex

Banned
Solomon Crowe wasn't salvageable because he had issues that stemmed beyond having a truly awful gimmick. He couldn't carry a decent promo. He didn't have much ring presence. His move set wasn't really that good either.

It's like I'm watching 2000 WCW all over again. WWE actively finds ways to ruin anything good it does.

They should have booked him as Goku

Aiii

So not worth it
And good news, everyone. Tammy Sytch's WWE HOF ring is for sale.

You know that somewhere in Stamford, Vince McMahon is tearing through Titan Tower on a rampage.

I mean, the only other time I can remember of a wrestler giving "away" a ring was when Flair put one on his kid as he was getting buried.

Hex

Banned
Well, they don't really have any other face teams for them to fight. They already beat the Dudleys, no Prime Time Players because Darren Young is out, no Brass Ring Club.

Have Usos and New Day at Rumble and have Balor, Styles, Anderson, and Gallows...hell bring Joe along. come out and take them all out and announce their arrival.

You know that somewhere in Stamford, Vince McMahon is tearing through Titan Tower on a rampage.

I mean, the only other time I can remember of a wrestler giving "away" a ring was when Flair put one on his kid as he was getting buried.

I think Abdullah the Butcher sold his.

Mahonay

Banned
Well, they don't really have any other face teams for them to fight. They already beat the Dudleys, no Prime Time Players because Darren Young is out, no Brass Ring Club.
They used to throw together upper-mid carders together for tag teams when things got thin in the division, but I guess a lot of the roster right now is too busy to wrestle while they are totally not injured we swear, Meltzer is a mark don't listen to him everything is fine.

The Acension huh

I'm sure the Full Sail crowd treated them well. But what better test for Dash and Dawson than to see if they can pull off a decent match against Konnor and Viktor, assuming this isn't a story match that gets interrupted by Cass and Enzo.

I've seen much worse. It needs time and a lot of work. That's what NXT is for.

The worst part is that you can see the Samson gimmick falling apart, but they have to give it oxygen in order to see if they can make it work.

I'd say the same for Crowe, but Crowe basically disappeared from TV after a few matches. His burnt baked potato x troll doll look didn't help him, but you never got a sense of what his character was.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think Abdullah the Butcher sold his.

Abdullah-and-Bearer-HOF-rings-660x336.png

HOF rings sure have depricated in value over the past year...
sunny-diva-ring-auction-ebay-photos-01-480w.jpg

Stardust and Titus are feuding, but I thought they could have teamed. But hey, there is The Ascension.

Is Big Show currently a face or a heel? Maybe he can team with Sandow or Swagger or something.

Rutti

So Raw actually makes me little exited about something and SD then instantly crushes it. Well now I know better (again).

On a another note, tonight I'm watching PROGRESS chapter 13 and I'm pretty exited at Dewitt vs ZSJ. I haven't seen Balor outside of NXT before.

Hex

Banned
Stardust and Titus are feuding, but I thought they could have teamed. But hey, there is The Ascension.

Is Big Show currently a face or a heel? Maybe he can team with Sandow or Swagger or something.

For some reason I see Titus/Stardust's feud leading to a Titus/Cody tag-team.
Or probably I am just wishing.

Mahonay

Banned
So Raw actually makes me little exited about something and SD then instantly crushes it. Well now I know better (again).

On a another note, tonight I'm watching PROGRESS chapter 13 and I'm pretty exited at Dewitt vs ZSJ. I haven't seen Balor outside of NXT before.
Devitt was a lot more exciting in the ring pre-Balor. Definitely worth going back and watching that stuff.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
For some reason I see Titus/Stardust's feud leading to a Titus/Cody tag-team.
Or probably I am just wishing.

I mean, I wouldn't hate it. But I don't know if they're going to bring Cody back soon. I thought that's what his feud with Goldust was for, eventually making him take the paint off. But here we, like a year later, still Stardust. It's a real waste.

Xater

Wednesday night wrestling features NXT's return.

NXT
Tommaso Ciampa vs. Danny Burch
Scott Dawson and Dash Wilder vs. The Ascension
"The Drifter" Elias Samson vs. Corey Hollis
Women's #1 Contender's Battle Royal

Ciampa is back again? He will get signed one of these days right?

The Ascension back in NXT? Man these guys are a lost cause. Just release them.

Ciampa is back again? He will get signed one of these days right?

The Ascension back in NXT? Man these guys are a lost cause. Just release them.

They're big, God damn it, and you can't teach big.

And there's one who is slightly less bad than the other. I think that's Viktor?

Xater

They're big, God damn it, and you can't teach big.

And there's one who is slightly less bad than the other. I think that's Viktor?

Who the fuck knows? I have seen almost all their NXT stuff and I couldn't tell you who is who. That's how uninteresting they are.

klonere

Banned
The original Ascension gimmick had approximately 100% more potential than whatever they are doing now. Seriously, a lot of cool stuff could be done with ambiguous Illuminati extraordinarily wealthy blue eyed maybe vampires (drop the vampires bit) tag team. Much more than "they are jobber versions of a gimmick that was out of date in 1999".

JavyOO7

Konnor and Viktor have good chemistry together. I miss them in NXT. They could be having great matches with all the teams that are there now. They still come by there every now and then, but...

edit - Konnor is the more muscular of the two. The guy that yells "YAH!" when he pummels people in the corner. And Viktor is the more slim one who is actually pretty decent in the ring. Konnor used to be pretty slim too but then he decided to work out quite a bit.

Aiii

So not worth it
The original Ascension gimmick had approximately 100% more potential than whatever they are doing now. Seriously, a lot of cool stuff could be done with ambiguous Illuminati extraordinarily wealthy blue eyed maybe vampires (drop the vampires bit) tag team. Much more than "they are jobber versions of a gimmick that was out of date in 1999".

Real talk: this whole thing is 100% on JBL (with maybe some help from Vince and Kevin Dunn). Obviously they took one look at these guys that Triple H brought in from NXT and they went: "lol, look at these mark ass fuckers pretending to be The Road Warriors, we'll bury the fuck out of them and have a good laugh at their expense."

That said: The Ascension was never good, who are you guys kidding?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Real talk: this whole thing is 100% on JBL (with maybe some help from Vince and Kevin Dunn). Obviously they took one look at these guys that Triple H brought in from NXT and they went: "lol, look at these mark ass fuckers pretending to be The Road Warriors, we'll bury the fuck out of them and have a good laugh at their expense."

That said: The Ascension was never good, who are you guys kidding?

You don't have to be good in the ring to be interesting, their original gimmick was fascinating. And keep em as vampires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom