• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephzilla

The Ascension was never good and anyone with functional eyes saw that they would be dead on arrival on the main roster. But, they were still never given a chance on the main roster at all.

kiguel182

Real talk: this whole thing is 100% on JBL (with maybe some help from Vince and Kevin Dunn). Obviously they took one look at these guys that Triple H brought in from NXT and they went: "lol, look at these mark ass fuckers pretending to be The Road Warriors, we'll bury the fuck out of them and have a good laugh at their expense."

That said: The Ascension was never good, who are you guys kidding?

The Ascension might not have been great but they weren't even given a change. From the moment they debuted they were made fun of by JBL and company.

The Ascension was never good and anyone with functional eyes saw that they would be dead on arrival on the main roster. But, they were still never given a chance on the main roster at all.

prolly cause their 80s Power and Paint gimmick sucks with two guys that look dumpy like they do.

UberTag

The only person who doesn't get 50/50 booking is Reigns, although I'm expecting Owens is gonna lose the feud with Ambrose.
Does it really matter anyhow? All of their matches end in no contests... including last week's Smackdown main event, each of their two matches on RAW this week and this week's Smackdown main event. As far as I'm concerned those two aren't even feuding because they sure as fuck aren't cutting promos or running angles or telling a story or doing any of that shit that the WWE used to do and every other competent wrestling company on the planet does.

The likely outcome of this is that Ambrose will wind up in some multi-man match for the IC belt at Mania (just like last year) and Owens is just filling time until they pull the trigger on his Mania program and they're trying to keep him semi-protected just like they did with Bray last year before 'Taker humbled him like a fool. And after Owens loses at Mania... well, surprise, he'll be Roman's new title feud. Because why the fuck not. Who doesn't want to see more after that riveting headlock-fest on RAW this past Monday? And, like all of Cena's many feuds, Owens will win the first match and lose the next dozen.

As for those Mexicans on Smackdown, look forward to them wrestling one another and trading wins for the next year. That'll get both of them over, right?

Xater

As for those Mexicans on Smackdown, look forward to them wrestling one another and trading wins for the next year. That'll get both of them over, right?

I hope they will also trade the belt every month or so. That will make the title real important.

The Vaudevillains is honestly a decent gimmick but it's something that would only work on indie circuits and NXT, at most.

It's at least interesting, but not good. Something you really can#t say about whatever the Ascension did, no matter what Sunny seems to think.

Sephzilla

It's at least interesting, but not good. Something you really can#t say about whatever the Ascension did, no matter what Sunny seems to think.

The Ascension's theme was more over than the actual wrestlers. The only crowd they ever got to react to them was Full Sail, and it was an ironic reaction because the crowd was making fun of how shit they were.

Mahonay

Banned
Honestly the Ascension needed to look way more pumped up and ripped for that gimmick to work. It's hard to buy it when it's two dudes with kind of average builds.

I had a (deadly) premonition last night that NJPW might get desperate enough to bring Jeff Jarrett back for Wrestle Kingdom 11 and feature him prominently.

Xater

The Ascension's theme was more over than the actual wrestlers. The only crowd they ever got to react to them was Full Sail, and it was an ironic reaction because the crowd was making fun of how shit they were.

Oh yeah, they were booing them at first. Once they noticed they couldn't get rid of them it became super ironic with the chants and stuff.

UberTag

I keep saying but they have KEVIN OWENS and DEAN AMBROSE in a feud and there has not be a great face to face promo segment with them. It's just been real quick backstage interviews (if that) and matches on matches on matches none of which get any real heat because the only reason they are fighting is Owens wants the belt back, a belt that means next to nothing so NO ONE CARES.
I don't even believe that Owens wants that belt. He sure didn't seem to care about it when he had it. Now the NXT title? That I believe he would want. Because he needed that thing to feed his family. IC title might as well have been prop jewelry.

klonere

Banned
There's a really cool story you could do with ADR and Kalisto where ADR just cannot beat the guy so he runs out of shots at the title. Then he starts constantly harassing Kalisto backstage, in the ring, everywhere. ADR is all like "you can't be a champion, you can't represent la nación, it is my destiny, my right, all that crazy Juanito talk about opportunity is a lie. Look around, do you think this is the land of opportunity" etc

Kalisto is pretty easy to write for from there, there's lots of things you can do with him.

MC Safety

The Ascension might not have been great but they weren't even given a change. From the moment they debuted they were made fun of by JBL and company.

They had an entire year as NXT champions. They did nothing with that time.

I think they were promoted solely out of fatigue.

Sephzilla

I don't even believe that Owens wants that belt. He sure didn't seem to care about it when he had it. Now the NXT title? That I believe he would want. Because he needed that thing to feed his family. IC title might as well have been prop jewelry.

In the hierarchy of WWE championships I'd say the NXT title right now is more valuable than the IC title, so I could buy Owens wanting that one more.

Xater

In the hierarchy of WWE championships I'd say the NXT title right now is more valuable than the IC title, so I could buy Owens wanting that one more.

The NXT Women's title is more important than the IC one.

Edit: Unless I hear that Bryan stuff from the Meltz I don't believe it.

UberTag

Darren Young should honestly be released. The dude gets hurt so much he makes Wade Barrett look like a bastion of health by comparison.
It makes perfect sense that Bizarro Cena would have brittle bones. But he's impervious to the two things that make the real John Cena break down. Divorce settlements and deep-voiced little boys.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm willing to entertain the idea that WWE's repeated attempts to retire Daniel Bryan led to him asking for his release so he can go kill himself in Japan or ROH.

Sephzilla

It makes perfect sense that Bizarro Cena would have brittle bones. But he's impervious to the two things that make the real John Cena break down. Divorce settlements and deep-voiced little boys.

Shocked-gif5.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm willing to entertain the idea that WWE's repeated attempts to retire Daniel Bryan let to him asking for his release so he can go kill himself in Japan or ROH.

I'm sure he's been asking for it. I just hope, fuck, I dunno. I just know other promotions don't give a fuck about his health. And he might be good out there for a year. But it'll eventually get him. :(

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm sure he's been asking for it. I just hope, fuck, I dunno. I just know other promotions don't give a fuck about his health. And he might be good out there for a year. But it'll eventually get him. :(

I'm conflicted. He says doctors say his brain is in better shape than normal for his age, but I'm not sure if there's some sort of cliff a brain dives off after 20 concussions or something.

Besides that, his whole arm and neck thing last year is worrying, too.

Then again, I'd love to see Bryan in the ring again.

After Punk and ADR its pretty clear that WWE's contracts are unenforceable so if Bryan wants out he can leave without too much trouble. He seems happy collecting his downside and not getting brain damage.

Mahonay

Banned
Still don't think D Bry is on the verge of death anymore than other workers that have a ton of miles under their belt. It's just hidden and not dissected like with Bryan.

Although I am glad he's been forced to rest at least.

Xater

Everyone is running with that DB rumour. For once I can say since Dave hasn't chimmed in, I don't believe there's much to it.

It's probably the case of one site "reporting" it and everyone else just copying it. Meanwhile Meltzer is trying to get sources.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dave has chimed in, actually:

ibCbgLz.png

A nice little non-answer.

UberTag

Damn so this was 10 hours ago? I guess we can carry on
WWE likes to deny stuff that winds up being true. Just like they denied D.Brine having a concussion last year - which he inevitably broke the news on himself some time after the IC title was stripped from him.

Could be true. Could not be true. We'll know next week. That said, releasing Bryan as soon as the ink is dry on Nakamura's contract seems like the sort of dick move the WWE would do. Hell, signing Nak in the first place just so they could release D.Brine and spite him would be entirely believable to me.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
WWE likes to deny stuff that winds up being true. Just like they denied D.Brine having a concussion last year - which he inevitably broke the news on himself some time after the IC title was stripped from him.

Could be true. Could not be true. We'll know next week. That said, releasing Bryan as soon as the ink is dry on Nakamura's contract seems like the sort of dick move the WWE would do. Hell, signing Nak in the first place just so they could release D.Brine and spite him would be entirely believable to me.

WWE has signed Nakamura?

What's worse more so would be releasing him when they need another top baby face to back up Roman in case he gets hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom