• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

You know the grapple fuck style that's Evolve's calling card these days? Imagine that spirit, but executed 100 times better. That's Japanese shoot style. Volk Han and Yoshiaki Fujiwara are your standard bearers, but Kohsaka, Yamamoto, and Tamura are right behind them.

Please accept this Volk Han vs. Kiyoshi Tamura match from RINGS as a sample.

The matches don't really seem to be archived, so you're stuck with accepting any matches from RINGS or BattlArts that you can find unless you get into tape trading.

It's not a style you can watch a lot of in any one sitting, and it demands attention because the quality is in the grappling details.

There's a Daisuke Ikeda vs. Yuki Ishikawa BattlArts from 4/24/05 that's supposed to be really good, but I haven't been able to track it down.

So despite it's name it is still a work just even more focused on grappling than European wrestling?

I will give this match a watch later.

What if you're trying to work a worked shoot worked version of a shoot hold?

I think you just gave a me a brain aneurism.

I like Data West even tho he has terrible taste in wrestling.

You know the grapple fuck style that's Evolve's calling card these days? Imagine that spirit, but executed 100 times better. That's Japanese shoot style. Volk Han and Yoshiaki Fujiwara are your standard bearers, but Kohsaka, Yamamoto, and Tamura are right behind them.

Please accept this Volk Han vs. Kiyoshi Tamura match from RINGS as a sample.

The matches don't really seem to be archived, so you're stuck with accepting any matches from RINGS or BattlArts that you can find unless you get into tape trading.

It's not a style you can watch a lot of in any one sitting, and it demands attention because the quality is in the grappling details.

There's a Daisuke Ikeda vs. Yuki Ishikawa BattlArts from 4/24/05 that's supposed to be really good, but I haven't been able to track it down.

This Akira Maeda vs. Nobuhiko Takada match in UWF from November 10, 1988 was voted the #1 match on DVDVR's 1980s Other Japan set, so it's worth watching. The Masakatsu Funaki vs. Bob Backlund match in UWFi from May 21, 1989 is also interesting because Backlund approaches it as a work, get stiffed, gets pissed, and then they stiff the fuck out of each other. It's a side of Backlund you probably haven't seen.

im aware of shoot wrestling just don't know about any of it during the 80s and 90s

ty for the matches!

So despite it's name it is still a work just even more focused on grappling than European wrestling?

The matches have predetermined outcomes, yes. This was when PRIDE was a big deal, so it's tapping into the same taste for grappling and striking. It's a bunch of Japanese feds taking pro wrestling back to its American roots in a distinct way.

If you like Timothy Thatcher, Tommy End, Drew Gulak, Biff Busick, or Tommaso Ciampa, you might like some of this shoot style stuff.

Remember The Shooter Owen Hart?

severnnwa.gif
Owen was so versatile. Could fit in anywhere he wanted
It's happening.
Dope.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Data West is one of my favorite posters. He's in my Fave Five WrassleGAF Opinion Posters.

Xater

The matches have predetermined outcomes, yes. This was when PRIDE was a big deal, so it's tapping into the same taste for grappling and striking. It's a bunch of Japanese feds taking pro wrestling back to its American roots in a distinct way.

If you like Timothy Thatcher, Tommy End, Drew Gulak, Biff Busick, or Tommaso Ciampa, you might like some of this shoot style stuff.

Tommy End is basically a local guy because of wXw and I know he was also part of the Ambition shows.I like him a lot.

Tommy End is basically a local guy because of wXw and I know he was also part of the Ambition shows.I like him a lot.

I'm sure you heard Meltzer compare the Tommy End vs. Timothy Thatcher match from Evolve 40 to UWFi matches during the WrestleMania weekend shows. I saw that match live, and it was one of my favorite matches from that weekend.

Xater

I'm sure you heard Meltzer compare the Tommy End vs. Timothy Thatcher match from Evolve 40 to UWFi matches during the WrestleMania weekend shows. I saw that match live, and it was one of my favorite matches from that weekend.

Alright then. I'll give the matches you posted a shot and maybe check out some of the Ambition stuff from wXw.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't like his fake British gimmick though.

That's really dumb and makes his gimmick come off like some shitty euroboo fanboy

Hearing coworkers talk about juicing is the thing these days, and all I can think of is steroids or blood.
My fiancée's father taljed about looking into deer antler, I was like woah. That's too much sir.
A good blade job is a great way to go home early without getting penalized for it.
Really? I might make a slit in my beard so I can go home early tomorrow. I'm exhausted already and I've not even got to work yet.

I don't like his fake British gimmick though.

That's really dumb and makes his gimmick come off like some shitty euroboo fanboy

Eh. I don't care if he's shoot British or not. Maybe he has family there. Maybe he was born there and has lost his accent through the years. Maybe he really liked the Bulldogs.

So if you go on TM, they state that WM 32 tickets are almost sold out. I wonder if they put that there to increase sells(making people buy right now or miss out) or are they really almost gone?

Anth0ny

So if you go on TM, they state that WM 32 tickets are almost sold out. I wonder if they put that there to increase sells(making people buy right now or miss out) or are they really almost gone?

these days I tend to believe 50% of tickets or more are all purchased via bots for scalpers before the general public even gets a chance at them, and resold at 2x value or more on resale websites

there is no chance in hell they fill that stadium, even if they come out and gimmick the attendance number like they always do

these days I tend to believe 50% of tickets or more are all purchased via bots for scalpers before the general public even gets a chance at them, and resold at 2x value or more on resale websites

there is no chance in hell they fill that stadium, even if they come out and gimmick the attendance number like they always do
That would be a nice investigative journalism story. I always assumed that tickets usually drop like 2 weeks before the event of they're really desperate just so it can somewhat look like the number they are projecting on the screen. To live in the towns that host these things it has to be cool since radio stations will hold contests the entire weekend to give away tickets. Also colleges do it as well.

Also a lot of tickets are sold to corporations in bulk. The amount of tickets sold to the public are so small

imBask

Banned
look at these guys trying to find a reason to discredit WWE from pretty much selling out WM32 already

People wanna see Roman, it's over friends, we don't mean shit and never will

NastyBook

Darren Young should honestly be released. The dude gets hurt so much he makes Wade Barrett look like a bastion of health by comparison.
With the ridiculous bumps he takes, I'm not surprised. I like him, though. He and Titus had some good matches against TND before they got shelved again.

Aiii

So not worth it
look at these guys trying to find a reason to discredit WWE from pretty much selling out WM32 already

Uhu
As noted, Monday's RAW drew 3.323 million viewers, down from last week's 3.575 million viewers. The final rating for the show was a 2.36, down from last week's 2.49.

Raw64life

Darren Young should honestly be released. The dude gets hurt so much he makes Wade Barrett look like a bastion of health by comparison.

He sucks in the ring, isn't over and gets injured constantly. Coming out is the best career move he could have possibly made.

I think if the women are ever going to really get over, then the Rumble is the moment for it. They've had a really smartly booked feud that has heat with the fans and given the nature of the show, they'll probably get a lot of time to put on a great match. Excited to see what those two can do.

notworksafe

I've checked a couple times on tickets just to see if I can find anything better than I have currently. You can find a couple expensive single seats, very few pairs, and nothing with 3 or more seats together.

Ithil

They didn't sell out a smaller stadium last year, which had Reigns headlining.

Sephzilla

it was down to 3M not so long ago, so it did go back up with Roman as a champ

SxWT5mo.gif

Ratings always go up a little bit after the holiday season is over. That has nothing to do with Roman as champ. Since we're getting close to WWE's 2 biggest shows of the year, plus the end of the NFL season, ratings are going to steadily increase.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ratings talk in here is just like NPD on Gaming side. That's what fuels people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom