• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach

Chromecast is supported. They cost like $35 in the US and are great if you have Netflix, Hulu, etc. You should also be able to use the web browser on the smart TV unless it doesn't support flash.

Hmmm... web browser on the smart TV... I've honestly never even used the smart TV functionality, so maybe I'll look into it after work.

That's really cool a lot of you are getting into NJPW for the first time thanks to WK10. Super cool to have new fans to talk with :)

It's telling that if the results get spoiled for a WWE PPV, I'l probably not watch it, however I know the results for WK10 and it's made me even more excited for watching it when I get the chance later on.

imBask

Banned
Hmmm... web browser on the smart TV... I've honestly never even used the smart TV functionality, so maybe I'll look into it after work.

the Smart TVs i've tried ran like a Pentium II at best, i'd probably go for the Chromecast since it's so cheap

Fox318

Requirements for WWE main event career

• Be above 6'1"
  • Muscles (exceptions can be made if you are related to the rock or you are a McMahon)
  • Long hair
  • Willingness to wear blue eye contacts
  • Must sell to HHH and other McMahon's
  • must cower to Stephanie
  • Wife/female partner must be attractive but you can't be dating somebody more over than you.
  • must eat meat

Foffy

Banned

• Be above 6'1"
  • Muscles (exceptions can be made if you are related to the rock or you are a McMahon)
  • Long hair
  • Wife/female partner must be attractive but you can't be dating somebody more over than you.
  • must eat meat

Did you intentionally leave out wrestling skills...? ;)

Zach

the Smart TVs i've tried ran like a Pentium II at best, i'd probably go for the Chromecast since it's so cheap

Okay, so how does that work? Is there an app or something? I plug it in and download something or do I involve my iPhone 5 or crummy laptop?

imBask

Banned
Okay, so how does that work? Is there an app or something? I plug it in and download something or do I involve my iPhone 5 or crummy laptop?

it's fairly simple on a laptop, they'll show you how

I don't know if it works from an iPhone though, you know... google and apple

JavyOO7

• Be above 6'1"
  • Long hair
  • must eat meat

Bryan Alvarez can't help himself when he says that WWE would ruin McGregor/Rousey. They sell the most tickets now in UFC but WWE would probably squander that since they still hold more or less the philosophy you wrote above.

NAfN6bA.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Ricochet is just fine in the big leagues of Lucha Underground, no reason to downgrade to ROH or WWE.

Fox318

This one bothers me way more than it should.

"We like you roman but if you could wear these Blue Contacts and dye your hair blonde that would be great. I already told Rollins and he is going the extra step by dating an Aryan. Everyone knows that the Aryans can draw"

fkyGwzbl.jpg

• Be above 6'1"
  • Long hair
  • must eat meat
I don't eat meat nor am I 6'1.

Aiii

So not worth it
Maybe we can do Lucha Underground January, where everyone uses a Lucha Underground avatar to promote it's glorious return at the end of the month.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Going to post the Carnies up shortly, I'm doing a small writeup for the whole thing. Interesting results.

Fox318

It's fine, I'll just sue them. I'll state racial issues.

johnson-ahmed.JPG

DRYBwvG.jpg

Triple H wanted to be Ric Flair so fucking hard.

WWE had the best wrestler ever standing in a suit behind HHH because if he worked he would over shadow HHH.

God that match still pisses me off.

DRYBwvG.jpg

WWE had the best wrestler ever standing in a suit behind HHH because if he worked he would over shadow HHH.

Honestly I never watch that ppv in full just because of that stupid ass match. They instantly killed everything Booker had going for him with that loss.

I guess him he getting a victory over Hunter on Raw was good enough for the idiots in the back considering that was rare.

DRYBwvG.jpg

This is still probably the most disgusting feud the company's ever had. Impossible to not have a sour taste in your mouth talking about it even today

Striker

Honestly I never watch that ppv in full just because of that stupid ass match. They instantly killed everything Booker had going for him with that loss.

I guess him he getting a victory over Hunter on Raw was good enough for the idiots in the back considering that was rare.
Several Triple H feuds had that tone to them. Versus Randy Orton in the late 00's, Sheamus, Brock Lesnar. They taste defeat at the premier show of the year, but get the win back at Backlash/Extreme Rules or a Raw show. It's a pity filled response.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Welcome to the results of the 4th Annual Carnies, WrassleGAF's end of the year extravaganza! Complaints were made, but so were votes. So, here's the results.

Best New Gimmick
LCZYZTl.png

It appears the idea of looking like you came out of Mortal Kombat mixed with an affinity to snapping arms has really brought people toward Pentagon Jr's gimmick. I'm sad Dalton Castle placed last, but with so many even votes cast, it speaks to the strength of the gimmicks named. Macho Mandow fuckin' sucked though.

Comeback of the Year
h0Hczxk.png

Well, well, well, what a hotly contested category! Sting did his best, but I have to say his injury at the end of his two matches was a bummer and probably kept him from winning. Nobody expected the Dudleyz to be fun to watch together again, but they were. However, Undertaker ekes out a win in this category, and deservedly so. I voted for him, and that was obviously the tiebreaker, so you're welcome, Taker fans. Him returning to what felt like a full time schedule was really appreciated by many.

The Cesaro Award (Most Underutilized)
DYgqgge.png

Another year, another Cesaro win. I think we should change the name next year. I voted for Titus. He deserved it. Great guy.

The King Kong Bundy Wrestlemania 2 to 3 Fall From Grace Award
pPBfq30.png

Surprisingly, Hulk Hogan's racism didn't take the top spot. I think it's because we assumed he probably was a racist piece of trash. Rusev went from the highest high this year to being paired in a feud with Dolph Ziggler, which is almost as low as you can go. Bless you Rusev, you made it watchable.

Most Improved
hvijWMM.png

Naito gets his due! A lot of us were worried his trip to Mexico didn't do much, but he really turned shit up around the G1 and was incredibly compelling to watch. He's added another facet to his character and god dammit, it's a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Worst On-Screen Performer
Pfe41kp.png

Hmm, I wonder why Eva Marie won?

Best Angle
YVzjxUw.png

It's no real surprise, the John Cena Open Challenge for the summertime has been fantastic, resulting in a lot of surprise performances by Cena himself against an array of great opponents who stood to gain a heck of a lot from wrestling the man himself. From beginning to end, we loved it, and we were sad to see it go. Rest easy, John. You're a legend.

Best Face
CxXrSdt.png

Some people may get upset about this. "What? Bayley? Best face? Hell no! She's not the best face!" Well, you're wrong. She played it straight and everyone got invested, even the people who love to cheer for heels. Bayley's got that future face. The face of future.

Best Heel
JDdxIIF.png

Crazy how the more you see of yourself in someone, the more you hate them. Owens is the winner. And let's not just pin it down to an obvious thing like that, he's been a heck of a shitty dude to a lot of people, and that cements him as Cunt of the Year. I mean Heel.

Best WWE Show of 2015
uvUChgx.png

It was a great show, hands down the winner. Takeover: Brooklyn proves America's still on top.

Best Non-WWE Show of 2015
CgrAQph.png

Praise be, Wrestle Kingdom 9 is still the biggest event outside of Wrestlemania, and despite being one of the first (if not THE first) big event every year, it sticks in peoples' minds which is very hard for a show in January to do. Number 2 is Lucha Underground's Ultima Lucha, which was fucking FANTASTIC. If you still haven't seen LU, get to it. It's #2 for a reason.

Legit Shook Moment of the Year
BvNuVIr.png

This one I just don't get - I don't know why people were so surprised, unless they felt that John Cena was finally, somehow, getting shit on? I don't get it at all. You all have failed me. Anyone who feels like "fuck Cena!" needs to get their shit together. Cena gave Owens this gift. Foolishness. The real winner, to me, was the crowd booing Rock at the Rumble. That was definitely something I looked around next to me and went "Whoa, shit" - because whoa, shit.

Best Non-WWE Promotion
4Jv1LmF.png

Shoutout to the people who felt NXT was non-WWE and entered it as "other" - real good move, folks. Lucha Underground wins by a landslide, thanks to availability and actually being pretty goddamned good. I voted PROGRESS, along with some other good souls, but it fit my taste and was exciting every damn time I watched. LU deserves this, though, and came out of the gate aggressively and with good reason--they had a lot to prove and they proved it.

Best Non-WWE Tag Team
d7LC9AE.png

Inexplicably, the Young Bucks win this despite having 0 good matches this year. I voted for the Sumerian Death Squad, but they simply don't have the kind of exposure you need to be Tag Team of the Year. They're really great, and I encourage everyone who has never heard of them or never seen their work to give it a try. They're dope.

Best WWE Tag Team
gna728p.png

Congratulations to the New Day, just crushing the competition. I don't believe that people would have believed this possible a year ago, but look at how far things have come! What a great team, and it helps that their matches are really fucking fun, too.

Best Women's Wrestler
dtauEbn.png

It was sort of a down year for international women's wrestlers. While there was a lot of great stuff being done across the board, there was a certain amount of thunder taken away from it when you looked at WWE, promoting their women's division (in NXT mainly) as their next big thing, and it was. Sasha Banks destroyed all others, and is delightful to watch. She's the total package at this point.

WWE Men's Wrestler of the Year
VKsK93v.png

Well well well, keep talking bad about ol' Seth Rollins all you like, naysayers. He won. He fucking did it. One of the best MITB cash-ins of all time at a great spot. A hilariously terrible record that didn't actually matter. You proved em wrong, Seth!

Non-WWE Men's Wrestler of the Year
HcFlp5q.png

The bottom line here is that a lot of you need to broaden your horizons. Congratulations to Pentagon Jr. I voted for Will Ospreay! He's really fantastic, friends.

WWE Match of the Year
sJ6ymNu.png

Bayley vs Sasha Banks at Takeover: Brooklyn was pretty impressive. It had great pacing, and tons of fantastic work by both sides. I ended up voting for the Triple Threat at the Royal Rumble that was incredibly exciting. I loved it just a LITTLE bit more.

Non-WWE Match of the Year
2IvctYq.png

Kota Ibushi wins! Kota Ibushi wins! So does King Nakamura! Great match by these two at the start of the year, and it's really worth tracking down. Don't worry, Grave Consequences. You're still my favorite.

And that's it, those are your 2015 Carnies. Thanks to all that voted, even if FallingEdge tried to vote six times to give BOLA some votes as the event of the year.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Well, since it really shouldn't be shat out at the bottom of the page, I'm reposting:

Welcome to the results of the 4th Annual Carnies, WrassleGAF's end of the year extravaganza! Complaints were made, but so were votes. So, here's the results.

Best New Gimmick
LCZYZTl.png

It appears the idea of looking like you came out of Mortal Kombat mixed with an affinity for snapping arms has really brought people toward Pentagon Jr's gimmick. I'm sad Dalton Castle placed last, but with so many even votes cast, it speaks to the strength of the gimmicks named. Macho Mandow fuckin' sucked though.

Comeback of the Year
h0Hczxk.png

Well, well, well, what a hotly contested category! Sting did his best, but I have to say his injury at the end of his two matches was a bummer and probably kept him from winning. Nobody expected the Dudleyz to be fun to watch together again, but they were. However, Undertaker ekes out a win in this category, and deservedly so. I voted for him, and that was obviously the tiebreaker, so you're welcome, Taker fans. Him returning to what felt like a full time schedule was really appreciated by many.

The Cesaro Award (Most Underutilized)
DYgqgge.png

Another year, another Cesaro win. I think we should change the name next year. I voted for Titus. He deserved it. Great guy.

The King Kong Bundy Wrestlemania 2 to 3 Fall From Grace Award
pPBfq30.png

Surprisingly, Hulk Hogan's racism didn't take the top spot. I think it's because we assumed he probably was a racist piece of trash. Rusev went from the highest high this year to being paired in a feud with Dolph Ziggler, which is almost as low as you can go. Bless you Rusev, you made it watchable.

Most Improved
hvijWMM.png

Naito gets his due! A lot of us were worried his trip to Mexico didn't do much, but he really turned shit up around the G1 and was incredibly compelling to watch. He's added another facet to his character and god dammit, it's a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Worst On-Screen Performer
Pfe41kp.png

Hmm, I wonder why Eva Marie won?

Best Angle
YVzjxUw.png

It's no real surprise, the John Cena Open Challenge for the summertime has been fantastic, resulting in a lot of surprise performances by Cena himself against an array of great opponents who stood to gain a heck of a lot from wrestling the man himself. From beginning to end, we loved it, and we were sad to see it go. Rest easy, John. You're a legend.

Best Face
CxXrSdt.png

Some people may get upset about this. "What? Bayley? Best face? Hell no! She's not the best face!" Well, you're wrong. She played it straight and everyone got invested, even the people who love to cheer for heels. Bayley's got that future face. The face of future.

Best Heel
JDdxIIF.png

Crazy how the more you see of yourself in someone, the more you hate them. Owens is the winner. And let's not just pin it down to an obvious thing like that, he's been a heck of a shitty dude to a lot of people, and that cements him as Cunt of the Year. I mean Heel.

Best WWE Show of 2015
uvUChgx.png

It was a great show, hands down the winner. Takeover: Brooklyn proves America's still on top.

Best Non-WWE Show of 2015
CgrAQph.png

Praise be, Wrestle Kingdom 9 is still the biggest event outside of Wrestlemania, and despite being one of the first (if not THE first) big event every year, it sticks in peoples' minds which is very hard for a show in January to do. Number 2 is Lucha Underground's Ultima Lucha, which was fucking FANTASTIC. If you still haven't seen LU, get to it. It's #2 for a reason.

Legit Shook Moment of the Year
BvNuVIr.png

This one I just don't get - I don't know why people were so surprised, unless they felt that John Cena was finally, somehow, getting shit on? I don't get it at all. You all have failed me. Anyone who feels like "fuck Cena!" needs to get their shit together. Cena gave Owens this gift. Foolishness. The real winner, to me, was the crowd booing Rock at the Rumble. That was definitely something I looked around next to me and went "Whoa, shit" - because whoa, shit.

Best Non-WWE Promotion
4Jv1LmF.png

Shoutout to the people who felt NXT was non-WWE and entered it as "other" - real good move, folks. Lucha Underground wins by a landslide, thanks to availability and actually being pretty goddamned good. I voted PROGRESS, along with some other good souls, but it fit my taste and was exciting every damn time I watched. LU deserves this, though, and came out of the gate aggressively and with good reason--they had a lot to prove and they proved it.

Best Non-WWE Tag Team
d7LC9AE.png

Inexplicably, the Young Bucks win this despite having 0 good matches this year. I voted for the Sumerian Death Squad, but they simply don't have the kind of exposure you need to be Tag Team of the Year. They're really great, and I encourage everyone who has never heard of them or never seen their work to give it a try. They're dope.

Best WWE Tag Team
gna728p.png

Congratulations to the New Day, just crushing the competition. I don't believe that people would have believed this possible a year ago, but look at how far things have come! What a great team, and it helps that their matches are really fucking fun, too.

Best Women's Wrestler
dtauEbn.png

It was sort of a down year for international women's wrestlers. While there was a lot of great stuff being done across the board, there was a certain amount of thunder taken away from it when you looked at WWE, promoting their women's division (in NXT mainly) as their next big thing, and it was. Sasha Banks destroyed all others, and is delightful to watch. She's the total package at this point.

WWE Men's Wrestler of the Year
VKsK93v.png

Well well well, keep talking bad about ol' Seth Rollins all you like, naysayers. He won. He fucking did it. One of the best MITB cash-ins of all time at a great spot. A hilariously terrible record that didn't actually matter. You proved em wrong, Seth!

Non-WWE Men's Wrestler of the Year
HcFlp5q.png

The bottom line here is that a lot of you need to broaden your horizons. Congratulations to Pentagon Jr. I voted for Will Ospreay! He's really fantastic, friends.

WWE Match of the Year
sJ6ymNu.png

Bayley vs Sasha Banks at Takeover: Brooklyn was pretty impressive. It had great pacing, and tons of fantastic work by both sides. I ended up voting for the Triple Threat at the Royal Rumble that was incredibly exciting. I loved it just a LITTLE bit more.

Non-WWE Match of the Year
2IvctYq.png

Kota Ibushi wins! Kota Ibushi wins! So does King Nakamura! Great match by these two at the start of the year, and it's really worth tracking down. Don't worry, Grave Consequences. You're still my favorite.

And that's it, those are your 2015 Carnies. Thanks to all that voted, even if FallingEdge tried to vote six times to give BOLA some votes as the event of the year.

Fox318

This is still probably the most disgusting feud the company's ever had. Impossible to not have a sour taste in your mouth talking about it even today

The best part is they try to defend it by claiming that the bathroom beatdown after was revenge and they needed to get the belt on goldberg or some shit.

HHH kept that belt then followed up with a shitastic feud with Kevin Nash.

Friends, this is a 20 minute drive from where I live. If I go I don't want anyone to know, so I may wear a Kane mask (in 2016) to hide my identity.

s533492658851606480_p141_i7_w640.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom