• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O24gtZgpWXs
giphy.gif

You know those aren't audio headphones on the baby, right?

Mahonay

Banned
A year ago I never would have thought Alexa Bliss would look like a potentially perfect heel opponent for Bayley.

Elias Samson's pants are stupid as hell.

Silent_Z

Becky Vs Brie was really quick at least, but they really need to stop with putting her against the likes of Becky/Sasha/Charlotte. She effectively makes them look worse, since in every match against them Brie HAS to get her shit in, and they all have to sell for her insanely awful looking offense with her twig-like arms.

Main roster women are down pretty massively due to injuries:
Paige
Nikki
Sasha

all out until who knows when. Natalya's freshly back from injury. Leaves us with...
Brie
Alicia
Tamina
Naomi
as possible fodder for Becky and Charlotte. Makes the constant Brie matches make a little more sense.

Mahonay

Banned
Main roster women are down pretty massively due to injuries:
Paige
Nikki
Sasha

all out until who knows when. Natalya's freshly back from injury. Leaves us with...
Brie
Alicia
Tamina
Naomi
as possible fodder for Becky and Charlotte. Makes the constant Brie matches make a little more sense.
Except Brie isn't booked as fodder like she should be.

Also Alicia is the strongest wrestler out of those potential jobbers yet they never put her in matches. If Brie won't do squashes let Alicia step in that spot.

I'd say she's nowhere close. In fact, I'd say the only reason she gets any kind of credit is because of the constant callbacks to Flair for people like liquidsnake who can't get over praising nearly everything related to Flair.

I'd say Nikki improved based on her own merits not on her partner's

Its a gift not a curse, and both you and I would use it if we could.

Especially because she can actually go. She is still young experience wise, and you have to be impressed with the hard work and dedication she has shown. One day she will be able to carry someone to a great match. it takes time.

Charlotte has the chance to make her own legacy. but for now, its ok to have the dirtiest player show her her how to have an identity as a heel.

Mahonay

Banned
Fuck me NXT booking is so much better than the main roster. Yet again they've found the absolute optimal way to make use of Eva in that Battle Royal. Crowd popped way more for Carmella with that set up.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
notworksafe was right: the Stone Cold Podcast with Flair was fantastic. Great Flair interview.

Aiii

So not worth it
Eva is in developmental and making an effort to improve, if not for anything else, give her credit for that fact.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why WWE decided to make the little jimmy thing an invisible child. That R Truth heel character was actually really good. Then they just turned him crazy and oh wait little jimmy is an invisible child now! That crazy R Truth! Why?

Because he could make it work, and he did

Marinate on this - Little Jimmy did not exist and was more over than half the roster. THAT is talented!

Mahonay

Banned
Eva is in developmental and making an effort to improve, if not for anything else, give her credit for that fact.
She's doing a near perfect job with the booking they've assigned to her. That's how booking in wrestling is supposed to work. Put your talent in situations that best suits their abilities and set them up to succeed.

Vince's obsession with hanging talent out to dry and watching them flounder has seriously damaged the main roster for years now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
See, I'm all in on the premise as laid out. I saw her a lot in the ring when she debuted. This is an angle I've been waiting for.

This is where NXT truly shines far above most other promotions. Sensible, logical, step by step, week to week progression. Matches are planned out most of the time one to three weeks in advance. People who whinge to the commissioner first get nothing or at most a tune up match. Rematches are not a guarantee and only usually happen in the case of fuckery.

Above the high end indie talent though they're a really deep company when it comes to Tag Team wrestling. Even the jobber teams are good and have been the entire time of the network era. Hell the worst team they've ever put on the damn show were...the longest reigning tag team champions.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
She's doing a near perfect job with the booking they've assigned to her. That's how booking in wrestling is supposed to work. Put your talent in situations that best suits their abilities and set them up to succeed.

Vince's obsession with hanging talent out to dry and watching them flounder has seriously damaged the main roster for years now.

How is she doing a perfect job...? Like I legit don't understand it. Her acting is horrible and her wrestling is horrible. Those are like, the only two requirements for being good at professional wrestling.

I mean, she fumbles all of her wrestling to the point she's so bad at that aspect they didn't even let her beat up the jobbers in the Battle Royal.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
How is she doing a perfect job...? Like I legit don't understand it. Her acting is horrible and her wrestling is horrible. Those are like, the only two requirements for being good at professional wrestling.

I mean, she fumbles all of her wrestling to the point she's so bad at that aspect they didn't even let her beat up the jobbers in the Battle Royal.

She isn't coming out to X-Pac heat, she's coming out to legitimate heat.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
How is she doing a perfect job...? Like I legit don't understand it. She walks out to X-Pac Heat and then very poorly acts her way through claiming she doesn't care (which is literally every heel ever).

Not to mention she fumbles all of her wrestling to the point she's so bad at that aspect they didn't even let her beat up the jobbers in the Battle Royal.

Her acting is horrible and her wrestling is horrible. Those are like, the only two requirements for being good at professional wrestling.

Pfft, there are plenty of wrestlers who had neither and got by on RAW CHARISMA.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
X-Pac Heat is the wrestling equivalent of the Friend Zone Myth, by the way. Heat is heat, it's just how the person uses it/is booked. The real problem with X to the P-A-C was that he was drug addled, injured, and never changed up his moveset to evolve with the times. What was revolutionary in 1993 was dated in 2000.

Mahonay

Banned
How is she doing a perfect job...? Like I legit don't understand it. She walks out to X-Pac Heat and then very poorly acts her way through claiming she doesn't care (which is literally every heel ever).

Not to mention she fumbles all of her wrestling to the point she's so bad at that aspect they didn't even let her beat up the jobbers in the Battle Royal.

Her acting is horrible and her wrestling is horrible. Those are like, the only two requirements for being good at professional wrestling.
They're booking her where she barely wrestles now and highlight her diva superstar/anti-NXT personality. It works. The Attitude Era and original ECW did a lot of this.

When they were putting her in long matches it failed because she's not a fully competent worker yet. They've adjusted the booking properly. Crowd had a huge reaction to her entrance and elimantion at the Battle Royal. It's not her job to do the heavy lifting and ring work. It's ok to hate her as a worker (I do as well) but most things on RAW are far worse than Eva in NXT.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
X-Pac Heat is the wrestling equivalent of the Friend Zone Myth, by the way. Heat is heat, it's just how the person uses it/is booked. The real problem with X to the P-A-C was that he was drug addled, injured, and never changed up his moveset to evolve with the times. What was revolutionary in 1993 was dated in 2000.

If Eva Marie ran out to the ring to save Bayley from a dastardly heel attack, do you think she would have been cheered?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If Eva Marie ran out to the ring to save Bayley from a dastardly heel attack, do you think she would have been cheered?

Of course that would work because Bayley is the ultimate face.

It would give her ultra heat if she was the one who orchestrated the dastardly attack though.

Mahonay

Banned
I wish we could have had this again at Mania this year.
http://gfycat.com/SlightSourAsianlion

if done right absolutely.

it would need to be a slow burn and Bayley needs to have a match/moment where you go "Damn I can respect her"
Lol I don't think I would go that far. I know I wouldn't buy that in a million years and I don't think many others would either with people's current exposure to Eva.

Edit: I'd actually say the assertion that people would get behind Eva going against the greatest face in recent time is INSANE.

Angry Grimace

if done right absolutely.

it would need to be a slow burn and Bayley needs to have a match/moment where you go "Damn I can respect her"
It sounds a lot like the answer is "no," unless Eva Marie magically sprouted the wrestling and acting ability for the audience to respect her and Bayley to credibly give her a rub.

Hex

Banned
Finally caught up on NXT, I agree with those who say that Joe has come a long way on the mic.
It still strikes me as crazy how much NXT is such a better product all around

Mahonay

Banned
Finally caught up on NXT, I agree with those who say that Joe has come a long way on the mic.
It still strikes me as crazy how much NXT is such a better product all around
He just gives a shit now, TNA has a certain effect on people.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It sounds a lot like the answer is "no," unless Eva Marie magically sprouted the wrestling and acting ability for the audience to respect her and Bayley to credibly give her a rub.

Not necessary. Virgil couldn't wrestle any better than the Red Queen and he got mega over by turning on the Million Dollar Man. Anyone heinous enough to beat down the ultra mega baby face Bayley in a serious manner is on that level, and turning on them to help even out the odds would get her over with those marks at Full Sail in a nanosecond. People love face turns.

Mahonay

Banned
Not necessary. Virgil couldn't wrestle any better than the Red Queen and he got mega over by turning on the Million Dollar Man. Anyone heinous enough to beat down the ultra mega baby face Bayley in a serious manner is on that level, and turning on them to help even out the odds would get her over with those marks at Full Sail in a nanosecond. People love face turns.
It's a different world in so many ways. That does not work today.

People weren't fully cognizant to Virgil sucking shit as a talent.

Angry Grimace

That was like a 4 year burn between his debut and the face turn and Virgil basically didn't do anything the entire time other than rarely jobbed to DiBiase's opponents so nobody even knew if he could wrestle or act and it was 25 years ago

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's a different world in so many ways. That does not work today.

People weren't fully cognizant to Virigil sucking shit as a talent.

A-Ry then, in the much worse booked WWE a few years ago briefly became the hottest face in the company by turning on the Miz. Eva is at least really, REALLY good looking while A-Ry has nothing except ultra creepy gifs and douche chills. He couldn't wrestle either.

When you have someone as powerful as heel champ Miz or Ultra face Bayley the crowd will eat it up when the tables flip one way or another. This is fundamental and hasn't changed. People love it when the worm done turned.

Mahonay

Banned
Bayley's mic level is just a notch above Eva's, The Red Queen is coming.
Lol nope.

Bayley stumbles over her words but it works as part of her character and comes off as sincere.

Eva on the mic sounds like stilted lines being read word for word from a script while not being sure what she should be conveying. It's entertaining to me in a different way.
A-Ry then, in the much worse booked WWE a few years ago briefly became the hottest face in the company by turning on the Miz. Eva is at least really, REALLY good looking while A-Ry has nothing except ultra creepy gifs and douche chills. He couldn't wrestle either.

When you have someone as powerful as heel champ Miz or Ultra face Bayley the crowd will eat it up when the tables flip one way or another. This is fundamental and hasn't changed. People love it when the worm done turned.
How long did that last? What happened when he tried to work as a face on his own in NXT?

Also he was a heel aligned with heel Miz so it's a completely different scenario. It's not a very good comparison.

Shadow780

Lol nope.

Bayley stumbles over her words but it works as part of her character and comes off as sincere.

Eva on the mic sounds like stilted lines being read word for word from a script while not being sure what she should be conveying. It's entertaining to me in a different way.

Her software is still glitchy, you'll see the improvements after the next stability update.

Fox318

Setup.

Eva Marie participates with Bayley and Alexa Bliss in the first ever Women's ladder match. The story line is about how Eva used her "corporate" connections to get herself in the match but she makes statements to a Authority figure that she wants to earn the belt.

In the match Eva takes a huge bump (doesn't need to be a dangerous bump but one you wouldn't normally see and Alexa plays dirty to attempt to win the belt but Bayley wins.

Later a scene with a sad Eva in the back as she knew she lost the match. WHen she asks a manager he told her she doesn't care if she won or lost because she drew money as a sex object. She leaves looking miffed but Bayley who overhears the conversation tells Eva she earned her spot as a competitor and that she shouldn't take garbage talk like that.

Later more, Bayley comes out in wrapped in bandages and ice to say thank you to the fans that helped her then Alexa comes from behind and hits her with a chair. Fans are shocked by the chair hit on a woman when suddenly Eva comes down for the save.

Crowd worked
Face Eva reign begins

Mahonay

Banned
Setup.

Eva Marie participates with Bayley and Alexa Bliss in the first ever Women's ladder match. The story line is about how Eva used her "corporate" connections to get herself in the match but she makes statements to a Authority figure that she wants to earn the belt.

In the match Eva takes a huge bump (doesn't need to be a dangerous bump but one you wouldn't normally see and Alexa plays dirty to attempt to win the belt but Bayley wins.

Later a scene with a sad Eva in the back as she knew she lost the match. WHen she asks a manager he told her she doesn't care if she won or lost because she drew money as a sex object. She leaves looking miffed but Bayley who overhears the conversation tells Eva she earned her spot as a competitor and that she shouldn't take garbage talk like that.

Later more, Bayley comes out in wrapped in bandages and ice to say thank you to the fans that helped her then Alexa comes from behind and hits her with a chair. Fans are shocked by the chair hit on a woman when suddenly Eva comes down for the save.

Crowd worked
Face Eva reigns begins
Best Wrestling Fan Fiction of the Year?

Eva works because she's abjectly terrible at everything. She can't wrestle, her promos are some of the worst I've ever heard and her mannerisms/gestures/movements are all so stilted that she's utterly devoid of charisma. She's the best at being the worst who just so happens to be attractive (which is the only thing WWE management gives a shit about) and they're doing a great job booking her as such.

I think Nia Jax deserves her place on the roster far less than Eva. Her promos/attitude utterly kill her character and render her nowhere near as entertaining to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom