• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They eat from the same trough. We don't have non-partisan news here in America with any real foothold. That's a fucking killer.

There is a non partisan news source, NPR. Unfortunately by being what it is its unfairly labeled as...a partisan news source. So if one side treats it that way then it is that way.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah I've seen that a lot and from a distance, it always seems like "Well that's just some insane nutjob. They won't make any REAL impact." but we're also living our lives over here with blinders on, and not looking at what impact does happen. Have there been some recent major setbacks by elected folks over in Europe where things very clearly go backwards in a terrible, Trump-like way?

Not quite yet, there has been a shift to the right, but nothing where the extreme rights take over, yet. The whole migrant crisis isn't helping, so these next few years will be interesting.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Not quite yet, there has been a shift to the right, but nothing where the extreme rights take over, yet. The whole migrant crisis isn't helping, so these next few years will be interesting.

If by not helping, you mean more or less the sole reason behind the shift to the right for every country that's not the UK, then yes.

UK shifted right because, well, they do that from time to time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
There is a non partisan news source, NPR. Unfortunately by being what it is its unfairly labeled as...a partisan news source. So if one side treats it that way then it is that way.

This is a good point. Many, MANY people believe they aren't considered an actual news outlet without any slant. Its penetration is probably best out of all non partisan sources in America, but it's still so far away from the kind of traction that CNN or FOX has. Some of that probably being the "radio" part.

klonere

Banned
Watching a random 96 Nitro.

Lex Luger is over brother. He is CRAZY over. He walks out, squashes a jobber and everyone loses their shit. The narrative I've heard is that after his initial hot run in WCW he never really got that popular again seeing as the WWF crowd rejected him. But this Nitro he's easily the guy that gets the biggest reaction!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Data, have you seen how Rush is going around calling Caristico Mil Nombres? Rush is the best

It's a shame we didn't get the Rush/Park feud if just for the shoot promos
dsadsasal0oci.gif

Mascara is growing on me

Tonight's NJPW on AXS features the first round matches from the 2015 New Japan Cup.

Tonight's ROH show in Indianapolis features:

The Briscoes & War Machine vs. Young Bucks & All Night Express
ROH TV Championship match: Roderick Strong (c) vs. ?
Alex Shelley vs. Adam Cole
Frankie Kazarian & Chris Sabin vs. reDRagon
Moose vs. Silas Young
Will Ferrara vs. Dalton Castle w/The Boys

Mahonay

Banned
Watching a random 96 Nitro.

Lex Luger is over brother. He is CRAZY over. He walks out, squashes a jobber and everyone loses their shit. The narrative I've heard is that after his initial hot run in WCW he never really got that popular again seeing as the WWF crowd rejected him. But this Nitro he's easily the guy that gets the biggest reaction!
He was over with his initial NWA/WCW run too in the late 80's.

As much as Luger was lacking in areas the guy got shafted several times when he should have been a top star. At least he got paid.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The WWF and WCW both made the same mistake with Lex by giving him the reputation as the hot hand who always failed at the big shot for the belt. His first WCW title reign is an oh shit, we no longer have the NWA title, let's make Luger Champion two years or so after blueballing him a bunch. WWF skips the step of ever giving him the belt, rightly or wrongly.

Him and Flair were helped IMMENSELY by going back to WCW. They got new fans from the different exposure the WWF brought them and they were seen not as turncoats chasing the money but as returning heroes unfairly forced out by the powers that were.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Another real interesting thing about Luger's return to WCW was that Hogan never perceived the Lexorcist as a threat to his position at all and didn't really mind losing to him. Him and Piper.

Aiii

So not worth it
If by not helping, you mean more or less the sole reason behind the shift to the right for every country that's not the UK, then yes.

UK shifted right because, well, they do that from time to time.

Nah, NL has been shifting since the late 90s, two populists (Pim Fortuyn and Theo van Gogh) got murdered because of their gaining popularity and perceived threat. Same shift has been happening within Belgium, France, Switzerland and more. It has been brewing for a while.

By all accounts, 5 Star Wrestling seem to have pulled a decent crowd out their arse for the last night of the tour.

CYyOJO_WcAUnxLP.jpg:large

So far:

5* Championship match
Champion, John Morrison def. P.J. Black

GFW Global Champion, Nick Aldis was scheduled to face Zack Gibson, but has refused the match and named Big Damo as his replacement!

Big Damo def. Zack Gibson

Colt Cabana def. Timm Wylie

Six Man Tag Team match
Zack Sabre Jr, Will Ospreay & Rey Myterio def. GFW Global Champion, Nick Aldis, Jimmy Havoc & Marty Scurll

Following the match, Sabre Jr & Ospreay turned on Rey and everyone celebrated over his beaten body!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nah, NL has been shifting since the late 90s, two populists (Pim Fortuyn and Theo van Gogh) got murdered because of their gaining popularity and perceived threat. Same shift has been happening within Belgium, France, Switzerland and more. It has been brewing for a while.

Right, that's the same issue. Migration. It's just been turned up a notch and coupled with a slight economic bounce downwards.

It's a case where they like even more hiding the successes of AWA/NWA/WCW. They were jabroni feds that failed because southern wrasslin was no match for Vince's brand of entertainment.
You're definitely right on that, I never even thought of that in Lex's case. My only complaint on that is.... In 2K16 they have him in as wCw Lex instead of Lex Express. Which honestly pissed me off.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Fave Five Lex Luger Gimmicks.

5. Wolfpac Lex. I mean, okay. Let's have Sting join the NWO. Might as well get Lex while we're at it. Only DDP, Flair and Goldberg can be over without joining an NWO.
4. Narcissist/Narcissis. Dope intro. Loaded forearm is a great heel gimmick. Dude loves himself. Has hot babes carrying around mirrors, drinks milk, gets the Brain to shill for him.
3. Sting's Idiot Friend, aka his default WCW gimmick - Hell yeah we'll do this Chicago Streetfight! Turns to Sting, What's a Chicago Streetfight? Heel or Face, doesn't matter, they're buddies even when Lex turns on the Stinger. Except that one time he forgot to check that Sting was in Japan and got beaten up in the pouring rain by a dude that sounded like Sting in facepaint. Yep, Sting. The guy who never turned on anybody. The guy who gets screwed by Lex or the Horseman approximately twice a year.
2. The Total Package - Lex is dead. I mean, so is WCW at this time but sssssh. Leads to his best Tag Team, Totally Buff.
1. Made in the USA - This shit is rad. Shameless Hogan ripoff, playing off of real racial tension, but the streamers, the bus+driver, the song, oh god the song, the streamers.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sid has higher highs and lower lows than Lex. He's a real fucking wild card. If something's not working, then its just not working.

Lex at his worst is still a notch above Sid's worst. Lex at his best is maybe six notches below Sid's best, because Sid's best is some Nirvana enlightenment stuff.

Zach

Sid was so much more entertaining than Luger, though. Luger still had some fun moments (showing up on the first Nitro, first guy to dethrone Hollywood Hogan, etc.), but had nothing on Sid's general presence/look.

Kaladin

My favorite part of that gimmick is when Heenan introduced him and was basically repeatedly cumming in his pants just looking at him. You could hear Vince's exact words through Heenan and it's fucking amazing.

Yeah, Heenan doing the sell job for the Narcissist is easily what makes it. Without Heenan, he might as well have been doing the Master Lock Challenge.

Mahonay

Banned
Sid was so much more entertaining than Luger, though. Luger still had some fun moments (showing up on the first Nitro, first guy to dethrone Hollywood Hogan, etc.), but had nothing on Sid's general presence/look.
I was a huge mark for Sid as a kid.

My favorite part of that gimmick is when Heenan introduced him and was basically repeatedly cumming in his pants just looking at him. You could hear Vince's exact words through Heenan and it's fucking amazing.

Lmfao, and I thought I was the only one to see this. I may go back and watch 93 again just to see his debut.

Sid was more entertaining than a lot of people. He was just so immobile that it hurt him at times. But I'm glad that he was able to win the big one and be involved in huge angles. Very good guy.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This! I wish he had more time to florish. I would've definitely had him join Team Money over Tatanka(even though it was entertaining to see Tatanka take the evil money if you know the Native history).

Mahonay, check your pm.

Lex and Tatanka have two major PPV matches, both are terrible. The first one is a meaningless, boring, and utterly sleep inducing time limit draw at KOTR 1993 that took me three weeks of nighttime viewing to finish.

The second one? An awful match with that dope ass gimmick. But that's clearly Made in the USA Lex Luger. This shows how even awful matches can turn out pretty well with dope ass storylines. Let's look at the evidence.

1. Luger was a heel.
2. Tatanka was a beloved face who once got massive pops and is still doing well.
3. Million Dollar Man keeps bumping into Lex in weird places with large stacks of cash.
4. Luger is the only one who thinks Tatanka the third man in the million dollar corporation, and he was a bad guy once upon a time.
5. The people know that Lex is the guy! They voted for it!

Lex and Tatanka have two major PPV matches, both are terrible. The first one is a meaningless, boring, and utterly sleep inducing time limit draw at KOTR 1993 that took me three weeks of nighttime viewing to finish.

The second one? An awful match with that dope ass gimmick. But that's clearly Made in the USA Lex Luger. This shows how even awful matches can turn out pretty well with dope ass storylines. Let's look at the evidence.

1. Luger was a heel.
2. Tatanka was a beloved face who once got massive pops and is still doing well.
3. Million Dollar Man keeps bumping into Lex in weird places with large stacks of cash.
4. Luger is the only one who thinks Tatanka the third man in the million dollar corporation, and he was a bad guy once upon a time.
5. The people know that Lex is the guy! They voted for it!
As you said, that's what made the 90s so good. The storyline's were so thought out that you don't really care about the matches. They made up for it later.

And I felt bad for Tatanka because not many people could get a good match from Luger and he had to stink it up with him on many occasions.

I never understood the love for Sami.

Im not sure what he does well.

He gives great, passionate, believable babyface promos, is an amazing wrestler with some of the best selling and psychology in North America today, and somehow manages to be a slightly dickish "WWE face" without becoming unlikeable or boring. If you can watch Sami vs. Neville and not see what it is he does well, your critical barometer is miscalibrated, even if you don't "like" him on a subjective level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom