• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZszUb5-bA_U

kurt-sharmell-rape.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Instead of watching wrestling directly, I watched Tales of Masked Men and highly recommend it.

I also watched the hip hop documentary 'What is Beef' but that doesn't have much to do with wrestling. Other than all the feuds being works, brother.

Roman Rumble |OT|: Roman numeral I, Conquer and Spear the Beast. Belee Dat

E: Freckle, Trips won't be a rebel and grow the Lemmy look. He's too soft now by doing what he's told to do now.

Verendus

Banned
Roman Rumble 2016 |OT| Deos fortioribus adesse.

Roman Rumble 2016 |OT| Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis.

Roman Rumble 2016 |OT| Veni, vidi, vici.

Balee dat baby girls.

This might be the best thing Justin Labar has ever wrote, even though we've said this :

It's time WWE commits to expanding its Hall of Fame class to more than just on-air performers.

I'm not the first to think of this. In fact, it was a question I fielded every year from fans when the Hall of Fame ceremony announcements would come around. I rejected the thought of behind-the-scenes people being included simply on the principle that the majority of fans wouldn't know who they were.

But I've changed my mind and feel it could be for the best for the WWE Hall of Fame, which has been growing and evolving.

The company already has a celebrity wing featuring those from Hollywood or sports who had involvement inside the wrestling ring, people such as Pete Rose, Mike Tyson and Donald Trump. WWE also broke new ground when inducting Pittsburgh's Connor Michalek. The late Michalek was an enthusiastic WWE fan who lost his battle with brain cancer. The Connor's Cure foundation was started by WWE, and Michalek got the inaugural “Warrior Award” and was inducted last year.

It seems like now is the time for further expansion of the Hall of Fame. Jim Johnston would be a great person to start with in honoring the behind-the-scenes efforts it takes for WWE to be the entertainment juggernaut it is.

Johnston has been WWE's in-house musical composer for nearly 30 years. It starts with music. It's the first thing we hear and connect to a wrestler as he comes out the curtain. So much of the music and entrance sculpts the rest of the wrestler's performance. Johnston's brilliance has been documented via behind-the-scenes segments in how he created some memorable themes. He also was a guest on an episode of Stone Cold Steve Austin's podcast.

Without Johnston, things would be different in WWE, and I don't think for the better over the past three decades. “You don't know what you have until it's gone” is a phrase that applies to Johnston's talents. Luckily in my lifetime, I haven't experienced a WWE without his musical soundtrack.

After Johnston, someone else who contributed musically to WWE was Lemmy Kilmister. The Motorhead lead singer just passed away and is so closely linked to Triple H that he wrote three iconic entrance theme songs for him in the past 15 years.

How about Adam Pennucci? His name might not ring a bell, but he's captured your attention, educated you on a storyline, made you smile or cry. Since 1994, he's been responsible for putting together so many video packages that tell the epic stories in WWE and its characters. Pennucci has been the leader in capturing the heartbreak, triumph, tension or celebration and making it come alive in a few minutes of a video reel. In today's world of smart phones and YouTube, everybody is an amateur video editor ­— the understanding and respect of Pennucci's talents would be greater now than ever.

Tony Chimel is not only a longtime ring announcer for WWE, he has led the ring crew in his lengthy tenure. Talk about sweat and work not seen that is necessary for the show to go on. And the list can go on.

WWE and Vince McMahon love to be accepted by the mainstream. McMahon is a Steven Spielberg in his unique world of live entertainment. The Oscars and other mainstream award shows all acknowledge the technical side of the business in a variety of categories for music and special effects. WWE has evolved from professional wrestling to an entertainment brand on many platforms. As the company has evolved, it makes sense for those people to be recognized.

Timing also comes into play as there's been continued talk in recent years of WWE building a physical Hall of Fame location, perhaps in the Orlando/Universal Studios area where so much tourism takes place. If this happens, interactive features for music and video has a place to live or there can be a display of famous props.

These names comes to mind and more can be added to the list as time goes on. The WWE has some special people in its family. It's time they get their day to be honored while the WWE universe gets to show its appreciation.

UberTag

Royal Rumble |OT| Let's Watch Triple H Book Himself to Go Over So He Can Make Roman Look Strong at Mania

Too on the nose?

Is Johnston still active or is WWE moving over completely to CFO$ because he retired or something?

Dude will get in the HOF one day but I see it being something they do when he retires.

UberTag

Yup, that's exactly what Warrior was talking about that then WWE changed up to create the award they wanted.
Instead of recognizing their unsung behind the scenes contributors, the Warrior award will now stick around so the WWE can have an annual publicity stunt they can boast about on shareholder calls.

Is Johnston still active or is WWE moving over completely to CFO$ because he retired or something?

Dude will get in the HOF one day but I see it being something they do when he retires.

He's scaling back. He still does the big projects but CFO$ handles the NXT stuff and lower-level people.

Jamie OD

Instead of recognizing their unsung behind the scenes contributors, the Warrior award will now stick around so the WWE can have an annual publicity stunt they can boast about on shareholder calls.

Do-Gooders-Dont-Need-to-Brag-Is-Brand-Philanthropy-Sincere-Or-Just-Another-Marketing-Strategy.jpg

Reminder she tweeted this hours before they inducted a dead kid into their hall of fame.

Haven't watched this so assume it's terrible, but I was surprised to learn this match exists.

Jessika Havok vs Luna Vachon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5OdnnmcROg&list=WL&index=107
Wow, didn't realize Jessika Havok was around back then, she looks a little different.
Do-Gooders-Dont-Need-to-Brag-Is-Brand-Philanthropy-Sincere-Or-Just-Another-Marketing-Strategy.jpg

Reminder she tweeted this hours before they inducted a dead kid into their hall of fame.
She was quoting but ugh, yeah... Plus even without that WWE is so fucking blatantly obvious with it.

Hex

Banned
Royal Rumble |OT| Let's Watch Triple H Book Himself to Go Over So He Can Make Roman Look Strong at Mania

Too on the nose?

It is where my money is at.
If not Trips himself, he will have a very very personal and public hand in making sure that Reigns loses but I still think Trips will be #30.

Looking forward to this one.
CZAOXVsUoAE6yto.jpg
CYG1i0BUAAA0-cD.jpg

Also Sebastian has withdrawn from PROGRESS's Natural Progression series for "personal reasons". Something seems to have gone down with the GZRS and PROGRESS at some point, I can't say I wasn't half expecting this.

EDIT: They've also both just been announced for ICW's Square Go this weekend, same day as the PROGRESS chapter.

klonere

Banned
Looking forward to this one.

Also Sebastian has withdrawn from PROGRESS's Natural Progression series for "personal reasons". Something seems to have gone down with the GZRS and PROGRESS at some point, I can't say I wasn't half expecting this.

EDIT: They've also both just been announced for ICW's Square Go this weekend, same day as the PROGRESS chapter.

Ohhh inter-promotional drama, the best kind! It is pretty exciting for the British scene that there are two big thriving companies that are competing with each other. Hopefully the wrestlers will do better out of it.

Xater

Dear god that TNA Battle Royal. Next to that the WK10 one looked great.

Poor Mia Yim. She probably deserves better.

imBask

Banned
Putting yourself over as a heel in order to setup a bigger payoff is apparently a bad thing now?

will you just bow down to the king already, quit living in the past

Philanthropy benefits everyone. Not seeing a problem.

It's a problem when you're doing it it primarily for brand awareness. By inducting Connor into the HoF, as honorable as it may be, WWE is basically saying "Hey, look at us, we're not just about violence! We're about giving back!" It's the same reason WWE is so involved in Make A Wish and Susan G. Komen. Yes, they are great causes, nobody is denying that. But the primary reason companies get involved with them is probably 75% how the company looks doing it and 25% actually caring.

Hex

Banned
a well deserved world title*

a well deserved world title that he'll keep for a month or two, just to put a youngster over*

Aaaaaaand if it happens to get him one title win up and closer to a tie with Cena....that is just bonus

klonere

Banned
It's a problem when you're doing it it primarily for brand awareness. By inducting Connor into the HoF, as honorable as it may be, WWE is basically saying "Hey, look at us, we're not just about violence! We're about giving back!" It's the same reason WWE is so involved in Make A Wish and Susan G. Komen. Yes, they are great causes, nobody is denying that. But the primary reason companies get involved with them is probably 75% how the company looks doing it and 25% actually caring.

Well, yes that is the main reason a lot of companies do philanthropy. The thing is not to surface that reason via a poor judged tweet from one of your public faces of the company. It's poor PR.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

So who is getting hurt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom