• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance of Styles winning the rumble? Don't really want to resub to the network if it's just going to be a reigns/hhh snoozefest

It's a problem when you're doing it it primarily for brand awareness. By inducting Connor into the HoF, as honorable as it may be, WWE is basically saying "Hey, look at us, we're not just about violence! We're about giving back!" It's the same reason WWE is so involved in Make A Wish and Susan G. Komen. Yes, they are great causes, nobody is denying that. But the primary reason companies get involved with them is probably 75% how the company looks doing it and 25% actually caring.

Actually I have heard it said that Susan G. Komen is not a great cause. Something about not much of the money actually helping people? Never really looked into it though

Any chance of Styles winning the rumble? Don't really want to resub to the network if it's just going to be a reigns/hhh snoozefest

no-chance-in-hell-o-s.gif

Menome

Friends, I had a dream that I was in the Royal Rumble. Except the Royal Rumble was like a massive version of laser tag with real lasers set on a space station. I was in at No.8 and it was my job to job to Reigns to make him look strong.

Instead, I went into business for myself and went into hiding, taking out the other contestants one-by-one. It was getting to the point where I had to eventually give up and let Roman go over, then I stumbled upon a room where two female contestants were about to get it on with each other AND THEN I WOKE UP.

Why brain, why!?

Ithil

Actually I have heard it said that Susan G. Komen is not a great cause. Something about not much of the money actually helping people? Never really looked into it though

SGK is controversial for many reasons, the biggest one being that they market themselves as a cancer research charity ("Buy our pink shirt to cure cancer!") whereas what they actually do is cancer awareness, with very little of their money going to actual research. Awareness is important, but it's a major misrepresentation in their marketing.
Then there's the fact that their owners are very well paid indeed, and that they have tended to sue smaller charities for using any kind of slogan with "cure" in it (which again, is a misrepresentation in the first place), as though they want a monopoly on breast cancer charities. Look up pinkwashing for more.

So WWE goes "Buy the pink Cena shirt to cure cancer", when they pocket 90% of the money paid for the shirt, and maybe 1% of the 10% given to SGK actually goes to cancer research. Making that tidy profit off the backs of "We're so charitable, shareholders" is distasteful.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This might be the best thing Justin Labar has ever wrote, even though we've said this :

No offense to the writer, but suggesting that Lemmy Kilmister be inducted to the WWE HoF is the most ludicrous thing I have read in a while. Absolutely ridiculous.

That would mean the rumble is surprising, so most likely no.
Nope. If that happens anyone here can choose my forum avatar.

:/

SGK is controversial for many reasons, the biggest one being that they market themselves as a cancer research charity ("Buy our pink shirt to cure cancer!") whereas what they actually do is cancer awareness, with very little of their money going to actual research. Awareness is important, but it's a major misrepresentation in their marketing.
Then there's the fact that their owners are very well paid indeed, and that they have tended to sue smaller charities for using any kind of slogan with "cure" in it (which again, is a misrepresentation in the first place), as though they want a monopoly on breast cancer charities. Look up pinkwashing for more.

So WWE goes "Buy the pink Cena shirt to cure cancer", when they pocket 90% of the money paid for the shirt, and maybe 1% of the 10% given to SGK actually goes to cancer research. Making that tidy profit off the backs of "We're so charitable, shareholders" is distasteful.

Gross as hell. Thanks for the info.

Why did it have to be her. We almost had Shane.

Shane was too good for the wwf

klonere

Banned
What do we suppose WWE has in store for us on this MLK holiday? Surely they wouldn't do anything insensitive, right?

Big E interrupts main event segment, cuts a firey yet hugely entertaining promo about how he's gonna be the next WHC
and your daddy AND your uncle

A man can dream.

Guzim

No offense to the writer, but suggesting that Lemmy Kilmister be inducted to the WWE HoF is the most ludicrous thing I have read in a while. Absolutely ridiculous.
He'll be inducted this year in the celebrity portion.
Why did it have to be her. We almost had Shane.
Why does everyone think Shane should have been in charge of the company? The Internet's fascination with him being the head of WWE has always confused me. Was it because he took bumps?

Mahonay

Banned
Meltz is predicting AJ debuting the RAW after the PPV, instead of appearing as an entrant in the Royal Rumble. Makes more sense to me.

AJ did already strongly suggest he was going to be in the Rumble at a recent indie show, but wrestlers constantly say things that never get booked.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Why does everyone think Shane should have been in charge of the company? The Internet's fascination with him being the head of WWE has always confused me. Was it because he took bumps?

That, and they want a male in charge.

Zach

It's probably that he a) seems like a better human being and/or b) likes what wrasslin' fans like.

That's just the impression I get. I don't really know. Except that he's a better person than Vince and Stephanie. That doesn't seem hard to pull off...

He was forward thinking

Wanted to buy the UFC in 2001
Wanted to launch ECW As a online show only(basically what next is)

Guy seems to have good business sense

Mahonay

Banned

His ideas for WWE online and a division devoted to it was very similar to NXT. The guy knew where the fuck this stuff was going. And honestly, yeah, doing insane shit, taking huge bumps, is part of what makes Vince the promoter he is. "I wouldn't ask anyone to do anything I wouldn't".

I mean the reality is his ideas and vision was not carney enough for Vince and co., so none of that really matters.
Really man?

I don't fucking care what sex Steph is, on an ideological level she is horrible. She took the parts of her dad I dislike the most and amplified them.

Hope you're kidding because I kind of resent you for flippantly suggesting that I'm sexist.

He had interesting ideas for ECW, was apparently very well liked backstage, as opposed to steph, who was apparently uber jealous of how well heyman was running smackdown.

This is all supposition of course, since all we get is scuttlebutt.

Stay winning sunny

Fox318

Shane had a ton of visionary ideas that were shot down by his father plus from what little we know of his departure HHH forced him out because Shane wanted to take control.

From Shane's perspective I don't see why he would want to get involved with the company again. Too much drama and bullshit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Really man?

I don't fucking care what sex Steph is, on an ideological level she is horrible. She took the parts of her dad I dislike the most and amplified them.

Hope you're kidding because I kind of resent you for flippantly suggesting that I'm sexist.

Wasn't referring to you, but the internet at large. I guess that's the bad part of when I paint with broad strokes, it also catches people who don't feel that way.

I'd say your standard WRASSLIN FAN who goes "MAN WHY IS IT STEPHANIE IT SHOULDA BEEN SHANE, DID YOU SEE HIS CRAZY BUMP OFF THE TITANTRON" type feels that way. We're different!

Mahonay

Banned
Wasn't referring to you, but the internet at large. I guess that's the bad part of when I paint with broad strokes, it also catches people who don't feel that way.

I'd say your standard WRASSLIN FAN who goes "MAN WHY IS IT STEPHANIE IT SHOULDA BEEN SHANE, DID YOU SEE HIS CRAZY BUMP OFF THE TITANTRON" type feels that way. We're different!
Well I mean the internet at large is uninformed and dumb as fuck,

Mahonay

Banned
I check my Facebook once a month at best. Even the left-wing posts that I agree with are obnoxious. >_>
People just take a random controversial picture, with a completely made up fact in white text thrown over it, and share it with everyone "Disgusting, I can't believe this!"

It makes me sad so many people are that gullible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom