• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jericho has never been actively bad as far as I'm concerned. At his worst, the Wyatt stuff was OK. I'm convinced his podcast ruined him for people, that's when the Jericho backlash started (and the podcast is fine once you learn to skip the intro). People who think Jericho is terrible now are the worst kind of hipsters.

Come
at
me

C3iIXVI.gif
All that matters is that he can put on a good match and he does just that.

Fox318

Because Bray is one of the most comfortable guys on the mic they have and that is a hundred times more valuable than being good at indie wrestling spots
Comfortable?

In a live crowd he gets the what chant up the wazoo and the rest of his stuff is backstage saying nonsense.

Hex

Banned
Totally. Bray isn't nearly credible enough to be facing Brock. The last feud he won was... vs Ambrose over a year ago? He spent the last year losing to Taker, losing to Reigns and only with the help of his whole stable did he go over the Dudleys.

He isn't, but throw in the family involved at Fastlane and a kidnap Heyman throwback and we should be able to build up to a cage at Mania pretty effectvely.
WWE could go HUGE and do what many have called for and have Taker be higher powering this now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
amazing that kevin owens will likely be involved in a nothing midcard battle royale at mania while bray fucking wyatt gets yet another major singles match on the show

nothing makes sense

You're high if you think Kevin Owens is being relegated to the jobber rumble. Like, I can sort of buy that people think Wyatt loses too much to be a credible threat to anyone, but Owens hasn't been presented as a midcard jobber in any way.

Kornflayx

Jericho has never been actively bad as far as I'm concerned. At his worst, the Wyatt stuff was OK. I'm convinced his podcast ruined him for people, that's when the Jericho backlash started (and the podcast is fine once you learn to skip the intro). People who think Jericho is terrible now are the worst kind of hipsters.

Come
at
me

C3iIXVI.gif

I'm with you friend.

Guys, I glanced through the recent selection of Raw vids on WWE's timesaving youtube channel and figured that the only thing worth checking out was the highlight reel (if only because the screenshot had Lesnar in Sister Abigail position which seemed like an elaborate hoax).
Am I right to assume everything else is dreck and that the shocking number 1 entry into the rumble was Roman Reigns?

Hex

Banned
That crowd last night lol. Y2J got 0 pop.

I actually liked when Steph called him out on his tired gimmicks.
It would be fantastic to see Jericho try to actually pull off something new, and see a character who actually is self aware of the whole way that older wrestlers always use the same catch phrases over and over again.
A washed up type gimmick.

It would help if more than a couple people did.

sure, there's a reason I haven't watched Raw in over a year.

There's no reason that person can't be Jericho, but that's not how he's being booked, it's nothing to do with whether or not Jericho is still good or not

It would be fantastic to see Jericho try to actually pull off something new, and see a character who actually is self aware of the whole way that older wrestlers always use the same catch phrases over and over again.
Credit to Review-a-Raw for pointing it out, but I think that is the gimmick.

His best period was his Nick Bockwinkle impression when he was last champion. But that doesn't work as a nostalgia act, which is what he is now.

Barrage

Guys, I glanced through the recent selection of Raw vids on WWE's timesaving youtube channel and figured that the only thing worth checking out was the highlight reel (if only because the screenshot had Lesnar in Sister Abigail position which seemed like an elaborate hoax).
Am I right to assume everything else is dreck and that the shocking number 1 entry into the rumble was Roman Reigns?

New Day had a great promo. Followed by a very solid Big E/Jey Uso match.

..But that doesnt let people bitch as incessantly as Roman's angle, so its being ignoree(/most people crying about the show didnt watch it so they cant actually have an opinion on it)

..But that doesnt let people bitch as incessantly as Roman's angle, so its being ignoree(/most people crying about the show didnt watch it so they cant actually have an opinion on it)

Roman was the least of their problems last night.

Fox318

I would be too, if it wasn't coming from Steph.

I'm tired as fuck of her character NEVER getting any retribution.

They are probably saving her for Rhonda.

Then when she comes in and does her thing she will get her heat back on all of the roster.

Sephzilla

Come
at
me

C3iIXVI.gif

The Jericho backlash started happening when "Surprise! Chris Jericho is back!" became a thing that happens at least twice a year, and each time Jericho becomes more and more a retread of his older characters. The last time Jericho came back and was actually entertaining was when he was in his goofy troll mode.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Didn't she get beat up by Ronda Rousey at WrestleMania for no real reason

like there was no actual reason for either the Rock or Ronda to confront HHH/Steph but then they just did because reasons

Fox318

like there was no actual reason for either the Rock or Ronda to confront HHH/Steph but then they just did because reasons

That was so Rock could plug is movie and leave and HHH could justify him not jobbing at mania.

"No see I had to set up the next angle, Sting had to lose just like how WCW lost"

Angry Grimace

The Jericho backlash started happening when "Surprise! Chris Jericho is back!" became a thing that happens at least twice a year, and each time Jericho becomes more and more a retread of his older characters. The last time Jericho came back and was actually entertaining was when he was in his goofy troll mode.

He always seems like he's just on the cusp of another heel turn whenever I see him and then I realize he's just being Dad Rock Jericho so he's a face but he sounds like a cranky old guy who constantly waxes nostalgic about when Rock 'N Roll was "legit."

That was so Rock could plug is movie and leave and HHH could justify him not jobbing at mania.

"No see I had to set up the next angle, Sting had to lose just like how WCW lost"

Those are the shoot reasons why that happened along with "let's leech off of Ronda Rousey." There's no kayfabe reason why that happened other than I guess the Rock is supposed to be a face. Rousey doesn't even have a character so I have no idea why she beat up Steph.

UberTag

They were "telling a story" and padding their WrestleMania card with a 30-minute promo segment.

I'm sure you'll get another one of these featuring the Authority interacting with nostalgia era acts this year.

Hex

Banned

This I agree with.
It has been far too long since the McMahons/Authority got knocked down.
The whole Authority removed thing lasted a week? Two?
The whole fighting against management thing is really tedious.
Fighting against a major heel is one thing, management who just keeps gimmicking up everything is just really old.
Back in the day Stone Cold or DX or someone else would at least take McMahon out of play for a while, or the GM at the time.
Would be nice if Mania could get us Authority free for the rest of the year at least.

Oh sod off with that. WWE is not UFC and no matter what Ronda lost one fight and to most non UFC smarks out there she is still just as popular.

Angry Grimace

The "Authority" don't really interact with the part of the roster that could fight Stephanie without it being in super poor taste (and yes, I am aware that in the past they had Steph get beat up by both her father and husband on camera).

I can't imagine them running an angle where Becky beats her up or something either. Whatever you might say about the "Divas Revolution," Sasha/Becky/Charlotte are presented as far more legitimate wrestlers than Brie Bella was when she got squashed by Steph a couple years back.

They were "telling a story" and padding their WrestleMania card with a 30-minute promo segment.

I'm sure you'll get another one of these featuring the Authority interacting with nostalgia era acts this year.

They were buying the Undertaker time so the sun could set and not destroy his entrance in a meaningless match against Bray Wyatt.

Caderfix

Oh sod off with that. WWE is not UFC and no matter what Ronda lost one fight and to most non UFC smarks out there she is still just as popular.

Just accept Steph as the superior athlete already.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, I'm just having fun

EDIT: I disagree with the highlighted part, as usually she's defended by UFC fans and made fun of by casuals and Mayweather fans. Her image took a big hit for the general public, at least that's the perception I get from forums and regular conversations.

Speaking of troll mode Jericho, when he finally spoke he said something about it being the end of the world as we know it.
I finally understand....
The end of a world where people look forward to Jericho returns.

Hmmm, I can't actually have an opinion on it.
I did take the time to witness a funeral service for a trombone.

Recall

Why did no one tell me the lapsed fan podcasts are 3-6 hours long? I love long podcasts!

Wish the podcast app on iPhone was better with displaying the full name of each episode without automatically starting to stream the episode though.

Angry Grimace

It made me laugh that they had a typical Total Divas-promoting 2 minute nothing match, which we haven't actually seen in a while so it came off as random (especially with Paige being a face again for no reason)

oddjobs

pwinsider's reporting that Daniel Bryan is going to meet Joseph Maroon some time this week, leading them to believe that the issue is going to get resolved one way or another very very soon.

Hex

Banned
Just accept Steph as the superior athlete already.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, I'm just having fun

EDIT: I disagree with the highlighted part, as usually she's defended by UFC fans and made fun of by casuals and Mayweather fans. Her image took a big hit for the general public, at least that's the perception I get from forums and regular conversations.

Ah weird I thought it was the other way around.
Have kind of ducked out of the UFC scene a while back.
It will be interesting to see if Dana changed his stance on her appearing at least.

Sephzilla

Speaking of Total Divas, this girl I'm going to go out on a date with mentioned she watches that show as a guilty pleasure. I'm trying to play it #safe and not make it obvious that I know about that show via wrestling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom