• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jred2k

Speaking of Total Divas, this girl I'm going to go out on a date with mentioned she watches that show as a guilty pleasure. I'm trying to play it #safe and not make it obvious that I know about that show via wrestling.

"Huh? Wrestling's still around" I watched that stuff a bit when I was younger, but had no idea people still watched it."

imBask

Banned
Jericho fans are the biggest hipsters, they're so far down post-irony that they think he's still relevant and think everyone else hates him just to look cool

HEY GUYS HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT FOOOOZZYYYYY

Jericho fans are the biggest hipsters, they're so far down post-irony that they think he's still relevant and think everyone else hates him just to look cool

HEY GUYS HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT FOOOOZZYYYYY

lq9zex8.gif

first 3 fozzy albums are good, haven't listened to any past that.

As noted, actor Stephen Amell and Stardust have resumed their feud on Twitter, stemming from Stardust stealing Amell’s Slammy Award which Amell won for his match at SummerSlam back in August of last year.

According to PWInsider.com, WWE plans to shoot footage of both Stardust and Amell at the Heroes & Villains convention in Secaucus, NJ, this Saturday afternoon.

It appears as if WWE plans to build to an eventual singles match between Amell and Stardust, however there is no word on when that match might take place.

Oh god please don't let this be at Mania

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
pwinsider's reporting that Daniel Bryan is going to meet Joseph Maroon some time this week, leading them to believe that the issue is going to get resolved one way or another very very soon.

It will be resolved by Bryan entering the Rumble at No. 30 and being eliminated by Roman Reigns breaking Santino Marella's record. Reigns then looks at the camera, gives a "geewhillikers aw shucks" grin and mouths "balee dat"

Bryan never appears again

Caderfix

It will be resolved by Bryan entering the Rumble at No. 30 and being eliminated by Roman Reigns breaking Santino Marella's record. Reigns then looks at the camera, gives a "geewhillikers aw shucks" grin and mouths "balee dat"

Bryan never appears again

Yes, that will definitely get Roman over for real this time for sure

oddjobs

It will. They need anything they can get at this point.

Also, if word gets out that they cleared Bryan and he doesn't appear in the Rumble... ayyyyyy

That's what I was thinking too. That said, they do have some better options after Rumble now (compared to last year) with Styles / Nakamura coming in, they'll just have to be really smart about how they handle it.

Foffy

Banned
That's what I was thinking too. That said, they do have some better options after Rumble now (compared to last year) with Styles / Nakamura coming in, they'll just have to be really smart about how they handle it.

Must we be reminded what company, and in particular what man and his yes cronies, are in charge here?

You can give Vince the WWE, New Japan, Dragon Gate, Ring of Honor, and Lucha Underground rosters and they'd still find a way to make the show boring as fuck.

oddjobs

Must we be reminded what company, and in particular what man and his yes cronies, are in charge here?

You can give Vince the WWE, New Japan, Dragon Gate, Ring of Honor, and Lucha Underground rosters and they'd still find a way to make the show boring as fuck.

I was speaking more from the perspective that they must by now realize what mishandling Bryan (e.g. getting Kane and Show to dump him from the Rumble) means for the product itself by the way of fans shitting on everything, and thus must just avoid pressing the big red FUCK YOU-self-destruct-button

Recall

Bret Hart did his part to make sure Austin kept his momentum so Austin could fully enter the main event scene. Bret wasn't threatened by someone taking his spot but enjoyed being the guy to help make room so another main event talent could thrive. I like Bret.

1997 was a wild year.

My top 5 Wrestlemania matches are:

1. Bret Hart vs Steve Austin - WM13
2. Macho Man vs Ricky Steamboat - WM3
3. HHH vs Benoit vs HBK - WM20
4. Bret Hart vs Owen Hart - WM10
5. Steve Austin vs The Rock - WM17

klonere

Banned
Seth's title run shoulda just been a copy-pasted version of Shingo Takagi's in Dragon Gate. Up and comer with proven big match chops breaks away from beloved face unit to get his while the getting is good. His new heel stable dominates most of the divisions and belts. He gets big wins over big veteran names in the company, especially one over the companies ace/face CEN- er CIMA. Lots of cheating on the outside, lots of fuckery but no question that the dude is actual a legit threat.

In DG right now whenever Shingo does get beaten for the belt it will be a cathartic moment for the whole company. Not only did they beat a scourge on the entire promotion but also a very scary performer who had put away real names before. They can probably spin the storyline out even longer with the babyface putting together a team to get rid of Shingo's unit altogether.

If you want me I'll be over here in my armchair.

Foffy

Banned
I was speaking more from the perspective that they must by now realize what mishandling Bryan (e.g. getting Kane and Show to dump him from the Rumble) means for the product itself by the way of fans shitting on everything, and thus must just avoid pressing the big red FUCK YOU-self-destruct-button

If you've been around for Rumble bullshit last year and the year prior, their plans were already bad.

People only got mad at Bryan being nixed because of who he was being nixed for: Poochie the Dog last year, and Batista the year earlier. And Batista at least had the balls of calling the whole arrangement bullshit and unfair. The fact he'd like to come back and only do house shows is remarkable at how bad creative was for him. I think we see their effect on the whole product, with lots of bad choices everywhere.

Whether or not Bryan's even in the one this year is kinda irrelevant, because the way it looks to be booked is another episode of the Roman Reigns Story. Never before have I seen a company with so many people on its roster literally surround itself on one guy at the expense of the rest. I guess to make a company man, you make the company around one man? Burn bridges to make a fort?

Fox318

Bret Hart did his part to make sure Austin kept his momentum so Austin could fully enter the main event scene. Bret wasn't threatened by someone taking his spot but enjoyed being the guy to help make room so another main event talent could thrive. I like Bret.

1997 was a wild year.

Austin Rock was the birth of the kickout era and had a bullshit finish that may have been the cause of the decline of wrestling's popularity.

Recall

Bryan had nothing to do with why the rumbles were shit.

No one knows how to actually work the rumble match, both 2014 and 2015 were giant clusterfucks.

Sephzilla

1997 was a wild year.

FAVE FIVE WRESTLEMANIA MATCHES?!
2. Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels - WM25
3. Macho Man vs Ricky Steamboat - WM3
5. Daniel Bryan vs Triple H - WM30

Honorable Mentions:
-Steve Austin vs The Rock - WM17 (bumped this out of my top 5 mostly due the Austin heel turn at the end)
-Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels - WM12

Kuroyume

Banned
They need to have Stardust do cool vignettes:

https://youtu.be/b9u6Wpj5UWM?t=2m4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwCbfjK0MJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1hK-oxxiE8

Fuck Goldust was so good. Kinda sucks now tho... Needs to get rid of that Darth Maul knock-off

Even Seven was good in a EVEN MORE FUCKED UP way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWtXAtGJ4JQ

Stardust needs to do weird shit otherwise he's just some idiot in make up. Just randomly dumping him into a match with Titus O'neil? Who cares? Give the guy something to work with. He needs to be a messed up heel, not a comedic character.

Sephzilla

Austin Rock was the birth of the kickout era and had a bullshit finish that may have been the cause of the decline of wrestling's popularity.

Despite loving the match, I think Undertaker vs HBK at WM25 is what kicked off the modern kickout era. I do agree with you on the ending to WM17, the finish and heel turn in retrospect does seem like it was the initial jumping off point for a decent chunk of people. Austin should have never sided with McMahon, even Austin agrees with that now.

They need to have Stardust do cool vignettes:

https://youtu.be/b9u6Wpj5UWM?t=2m4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwCbfjK0MJM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1hK-oxxiE8

Fuck Goldust was so good. Kinda sucks now tho... Needs to get rid of that Darth Maul knock-off

Even Seven was good in a EVEN MORE FUCKED UP way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWtXAtGJ4JQ

Stardust needs to do weird shit otherwise he's just some idiot in make up. Just randomly dumping him into a match with Titus O'neil? Who cares? Give the guy something to work with. He needs to be a messed up heel, not a comedic character.
If they were able to make Goldust the old heel, I'd die. He was so great.

Cody needs to be Cody.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Oh god please don't let this be at Mania

Hey, it'll get Cody on the show, I'm all for it. I think Goldust vs Cody is when Goldust decides to retire.

Stardust is great.

Indeed. I'm excited for the Seattle RAW in Feb - because there's a good chance if they are doing something with Amell, they'll have another showdown in Seattle (the first feud started when they were in the PNW as well). Amell's crazy athletic - so they could have a pretty decent match.

Also remember that Amell and Sheamus are in a movie together (TMNT 2) - probably going to do some cross promoting for that.

Striker

klonere

Banned

lmao the fact people started kicking out of finishers is not an attributable factor the "decline of wrestling". The Austin heel turn probably is more of a factor and that comes down to a writing issue which seems to be at the core of all of WWE's problems right now.

I don't really think Austin/Rock's can be blamed for thinking "you know this is the decisive end to a feud that defined the hottest period of wrestling in the modern era, I think we should do some really special stuff". It the fact that wrestlers and agents after that got into their head that they could equate progressively smaller and less heated feuds to the main event of X7, or any of the other Rock/Austin classics. I mean you have fucking agents for a reason and its to tell wrestlers when laying out a match "maybe you shouldn't do this spot that would be grounds for an injury angle as a transitional spot" or "maybe you shouldn't kick out of his finish in this guys first match on the main roster John Cena".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom