• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oddjobs

I think NXT is just about done as a "pure" developmental system and is repositioning itself into WWE's niche product aimed at the fans who watch ROH / NJPW / etc.

NXT's going to start touring more this year so they'll need more talent who can draw audiences. Also it gives WWE a less "risky" way to try out different stars for shorter stints. If shit works, they can try to move it to the main product, if not they can either stick making some money on NXT or move elsewhere. At the same they'll train the next crop of "inhouse talent" in the performance center and also by getting them to work with experienced talent - from both inside and outside of the company.

It'll also open the opportunity for WWE to do "dream matches" - some of the midcard talent on the main roster will end up working frequently on NXT as well - maybe someone like Cesaro will spend 3 months on the main roster, then go for a couple in NXT, then back to main etc.

In many ways it's WWE's way of moving back to the more traditional way of how the wrestling biz has worked in the past, instead of working 100% with the ultra-controlled system they have been doing more or less since WCW/ECW went away.

Kiyo

Some notes from the post-raw Wresting Observer Radio:

• None of the 4 have officially signed with WWE. They just gave notice to NJPW.
  • WWE wanted to keep this secret until the Rumble for some surprises. Now that the word's out, they may change plans.
  • The money that they're going to be signing AJ and Nakamura for would be big enough that they wouldn't hang around in NXT for long, or even go to NXT at all.
  • AJ's been pulled from all future indy/ROH dates.
  • He speculates that they might end up doing a Balor Club stable with Anderson/Gallows, but not sure if it'd be in NXT or the main product.
  • There's still time for NJPW to make a counter-offer to Nakamura, and that very well may happen.

AJ just got written out of NJPW.

After Omega beat Nakamura in a tag match, Omega attacked him, as well as the rest of the BC. Omega is the new leader, and challenged Nakamura for the IC belt. AJ bowed to the fans in respect.

Xater

If you want to do this shit the stable has to show up and fucking dominate. Own multiple titles dominate is what we are talking about. No 50/50 bullshit booking and that's what I can't see happening.

After Omega beat Nakamura in a tag match, Omega attacked him, as well as the rest of the BC. Omega is the new leader, and challenged Nakamura for the IC belt. AJ bowed to the fans in respect.

Well at least they are giving Omega his due. I'll watch this show later today.

miserable

and when was the last time WWE was able to keep something big a secret? everything leaks these days. the last time i was truly surprised by an appearance was when Cena returned at Rumble in 08. That was when i learned the true power of HGH

Foffy

Banned
and when was the last time WWE was able to keep something big a secret? everything leaks these days. the last time i was truly surprised by an appearance was when Cena returned at Rumble in 08. That was when i learned the true power of HGH

Rock at a house show was a secret.

The Omega/Styles moment was so obvious to get him off of New Japan and plan his WWE debut. He even had a "goodbye" moment with the crowd.

klonere

Banned
That was a monster angle on NJPW right now holy shit.

I kinda wish it was setting up an AJ redemption story rather than writing him out of NJPW :(

If you want to do this shit the stable has to show up and fucking dominate. Own multiple titles dominate is what we are talking about. No 50/50 bullshit booking and that's what I can't see happening.

Well at least they are giving Omega his due. I'll watch this show later today.

At least Omega is moving on to better things. Sounds like he'll be relieving Nak of the strap as well, and he's my second choice to do so (behind Naito).

WWE's roster is going to be absolutely stacked from top to bottom with talent, all of it eventually going to waste because Vince has a boner for Roman.

Xater

I kinda wish it was setting up an AJ redemption story rather than writing him out of NJPW :(

Well the same thing happened with Devitt.

At least Omega is moving on to better things. Sounds like he'll be relieving Nak of the strap as well, and he's my second choice to do so (behind Naito).

WWE's roster is going to be absolutely stacked from top to bottom with talent, all of it eventually going to waste because Vince has a boner for Roman.

They are unable to book a show that isn't built around making one guy look good.

Haven't you heard the WWE roster is thin! Paper thin, depth issues everywhere.
Make Roman Look Strong

Aiii

So not worth it
*Crowd chants: ERUGIN ERUGIN ERUGIN
Matt Striker: Yoshi, what are they chanting?
Yoshitatsu: I don't know, Elgin?

Classic exchange.

Foffy

Banned

I do wonder how Karl and Doc will get written off. Maybe they'll suffer the same fate if/when they lose to Honma and Makabe.

Browny

Banned
If all that is rumoured comes to fruition, then NXT will become the premiere show for WWE. And the only way to really watch it is via the Network - which means more subscribers (which is what they're aiming for, long term), and thus more money for them.

Let's say they get an extra 100,000 subs - that's a million dollars per month to fund the new signings and up the touring schedule a little. Seems good to me.

Aiii

So not worth it
The idea is to have a bunch of NXT top card guys that help train the younger guys, that pull in eyeballs to the Network and help NXT become a full touring brand. They've been setting this up for a year now. That's why guys like Joe and James Storm are around, they're never going to be called up.

The paycheck's still better than TNA, and I guess New Japan, esp. once they start touring and selling merchandise. I can see why guys would want that.

I guess at some point NXT is going to 90 minutes a week, which is okay as long as they don't go longer than that.

UberTag

I was pretty much done with the New Day's unicorn fad but now they've seemed to double down on it ugh.
If there's one thing the WWE knows how to do better than anyone outside of Donald Trump, it's doubling down on an idea and running it into the ground.

Xater

The idea is to have a bunch of NXT top card guys that help train the younger guys, that pull in eyeballs to the Network and help NXT become a full touring brand. They've been setting this up for a year now. That's why guys like Joe and James Storm are around, they're never going to be called up.

The paycheck's still better than TNA, and I guess New Japan, esp. once they start touring and selling merchandise. I can see why guys would want that.

I guess at some point NXT is going to 90 minutes a week, which is okay as long as they don't go longer than that.

James Storm is back with TNA. lol

Kiyo

Del Rio's return? That's actually what Meltzer compared this to. After they had success keeping Del Rio's return a secret, they figured they'd be able to do it again for the Rumble. Apart from Del Rio's return though, it is pretty rare for WWE to be able to keep a secret.

Foffy

Banned
Del Rio's return? That's actually what Meltzer compared this to. After they had success keeping Del Rio's return a secret, they figured they'd be able to do it again for the Rumble. Apart from Del Rio's return though, it is pretty rare for WWE to be able to keep a secret.

Del Rio was a genuine surprise because he was a major champion in AAA at the time he came back to WWE.

Hard to do that with AJ, and now Nakamura, considering how Wrestle Kingdom and New Year Dash have played out. If AJ wasn't coming, he would have won.

dont forget the dudley boys return last year.

Hex

Banned

No way to watch these shows right?
This was a tv thing and they do not put these on World?

klonere

Banned
That was a super fun show and I missed a lot of it. The only thing is I feel the ROH guys shoulda debuted tonight instead of yesterday - they got a way better reaction in K-Hall for obvious reasons.

Hex

Banned
It streamed on World, with English commentary to boot.

I will dig it up when I get out of work, still finding my way around World.
Kenny Omega taking the Dictator role has to make him happy
I am still hoping Nak gets a good counter offer from NJPW.
Sorry, I do not want to see him in Vince's hands and more and more it looks like it would not be an NXT stay.

Well, everything is coming up true.

AJ probably definitely is true.

Omega will probably beat Nakamura.

Gallows/Anderson I guess will also be killed off via losing to GBH again.

Omega becomes the new leader of Bullet Club.

I don't even know anymore.

Foffy

Banned
That was a super fun show and I missed a lot of it. The only thing is I feel the ROH guys shoulda debuted tonight instead of yesterday - they got a way better reaction in K-Hall for obvious reasons.

Is K-Hall like places in the States where they're "smart" fans and like good wrestlers for being wrestlers?

kiguel182

Raw was okay. The usual pretty much.

Owens vs Ambrose is the only feud I'm kinda invested. I like it. New Day are still entertaining but I feel they are losing some steam.

The main event scene is still a bore, I just don't care about it. The Royal Rumble being for the title kinda ruins it for me since it will be focused on Reigns the entire time. Hopefully Brock will be there to help it.

Oh, and I like the job squad. If they give them some promo time they might have a chance. but they probably won't work with just matches. They need to show us the group dynamics and all of that. Can be good but I'm not holding my breath.

I was just in my Delorean and made a brief stop in late 2017. While I was in the future, I caught a snippet of a Stone Cold podcast with Vince McMahon. This is what was said:

SCSA: "Hell yeah Vince, I was just backstage at Raw with this cat Simon Macnamara. He's an incredible talent and always has amazing matches yet he keeps losing to Heath Slater and fans have been askin' me, "Steve, why won't WWE push Simon Macnamara?"

VM: "Well, Simon needs to learn a thing or two about the WWE style so we asked him to stop with the flying knees and to use a reverse STO finisher, as per the time honoured tradition of this business. Plus, he's also too Chinese"

klonere

Banned
Is K-Hall like places in the States where they're "smart" fans and like good wrestlers for being wrestlers?

Yeah they are like a smart US crowd minus most of the negatives that usually entails. They generally will give people a chance and know who they are before they come in. Elgin owes the K-Hall crowd a lot for getting him over in NJPW.

HOLY SHIT, they made the Rumble for the title?

What the fuck is wrong with this company?

Its all so Triple H can get his 14th world title and put reigns over at mania by having him beat HHH for the title. HHH will do for reigns what he did for Cena at mania help establish reigns as the man.

Foffy

Banned
I think it's a lose/lose situation for everyone with AJ and Nakamura leaving NJPW.

They win for they get more money.

Everyone else loses because their style can very easily be neutered in the WWE, and then there's the fact Vince and his yes men can find a way to make anything terrible. Unless Vince personally wants it, it seldom happens.

Anything good in WWE of the last five years has not gone through Vince's original intentions.

HOLY SHIT, they made the Rumble for the title?

What the fuck is wrong with this company?

Wait... what??

I guess Trips can only contain his ego for so long before his desires for championship spotlight starts splooging everywhere.

Watch him tie Cena so they can have a feud over who ties Flair.

So is the Rumble for the title, or is it Reigns can be pinned or subbed in the Rumble for the title?

I'm having flashbacks to the hardcore titles 24/7 rule (shudders)

Unless AJ walks out as champ and becomes a legit overnight headliner it's a terrible idea.

So is the Rumble for the title, or is it Reigns can be pinned or subbed in the Rumble for the title?

Whoever wins the Rumble wins the title, meaning it's not for the Mania title shot.

That said, I would assume somebody wins the Rumble (Brock) which gives Reigns the Mania shot, and since Reigns wasn't pinned, he still looks strong.

Aiii

So not worth it
Honestly, the 24/7 rule would make the product so much more exciting.

With the Network? It would be amazing. Just randomly have the regular schedule interupted during the day with pin attempts and title wins? Fucking awesome.

25k paid, yeah - it was surprising as the building looked packed and the crowd seemed more hyped that last year, but I guess they papered it well. It being the first Monday back to work after the holidays can't have helped matters, but it's a disappointing number whichever way you look at it.

Do they really need to stick to that January 4th date?

Do they really need to stick to that January 4th date?

That's sort of an ongoing internal argument within the promotion, it seems - the Bushiroad execs want it changed to the first Sunday of January, whereas I presume the old guard want to keep the January 4th date because of the prestige it holds. I wouldn't be surprised to see them change it next year - there won't be another January 4th that falls on the weekend until 2020.

Hex

Banned
Whoever wins the Rumble wins the title, meaning it's not for the Mania title shot.

That said, I would assume somebody wins the Rumble (Brock) which gives Reigns the Mania shot, and since Reigns wasn't pinned, he still looks strong.

I think at this point they have decided on Reigns vs Hunter at Mania and are building to it.
Whether the title will be in the picture or not is the only variable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom