• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bray is probably happy

BwJLsqrIAAAubBk.jpg

klonere

Banned
Oh no, two guys who have been underpaid when compared to their skills likely for their entire career will finally get paid well and might only have **** matches instead of ***** matches and might have to wrestle a guy who managed to have a **** match w/ The Big Show.

The horror!

Here's the truth - NXT is highly overrated. The fact that the women have largely been underwhelming is proof that when they don't have weeks to practice their "awesome" matches, they're really not all that great yet.

Hrm, lets think about this a second. Firstly, I could give a fuck about star ratings. I sure do love my puro style matches - there is no doubt about that. But what I care about most is characters and storylines I can get into. I have no doubt that AJ or Naka or Anderson could have great matches in the WWE. The question is will I give a fuck about the matches. While of course in NJPW there aren't long promos or massive produced backstage segments or tons of video packages, that is not what I expect out of NJPW and nor is it their intention to produce a product like that. You want to know what was so strong about the last 3 matches of WK10? The fact that they were all distinct. Shibata/Ishii was a total fucking violent brawl, Naka/Styles was not only a dream matchup (which are non-existent in WWE due to its structure) but an interesting melding of styles (heh) and Tana/Okada for all the flaws of that storyline was something that has been consistently building from 2012 and felt like a very very big deal. Again, due to the structure of the WWE this is generally not possible on a show.

In the WWE however these guys are going to be given characters, scripts and storylines. Recent history has borne out that to my particular tastes, the WWE is unable to deliver any good storylines for ANYONE on their roster. Hell you are lucky if you have a storyline. Over the last year of me being into wrestling, I have seen my interest in the talent WWE are presenting to me dwindle to near zero. Ambrose, Ziggler, Wyatt, Rusev, Sheamus, New Day, Sandow, Miz, Becky, every single women, Reigns, Del Rio...all of these people have tons of ability and talent to not only have great matches if booked right but also to be strong characters. The WWE is not capable of exploiting that talent in a way that garners my interest.

Now these performers going to be put into the WWE machine where freedom is much more tightly restricted. And so when they come after some big names in an alternative that I have financial (NJPW World) and emotional investment in, I look at the track record of the WWE why would I think anything else but "oh god there is no hope I nearly already don't give a fuck about these people". These are performers who are used to an environment where they had a large say in the creative process that they took part in.

As for what they are getting paid, well that is total conjecture and the consensus among people is that top dudes in NJPW are paid pretty damn well. Hell Gallows always jokes about how Anderson nearly made half a mill in 2014 on their podcast (RIP).

TL;DR Whatever about match quality, WWE will fuck up the characters of the NJPW imports if they come. The money will be better but not like they are lifting poverty stricken athletes out of the gutter.

As for the comment about the NXT women lol if you think that is the problem with the girls on the main roster.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I was excited about seeing Nakamura until I remembered Vince/Hayes will probably saddle him with a stereotypical gimmick like a Chinese restaurant delivery boy.

"See, these guys NEVER get over in America!"

This post

It's widely known that Becky, Sasha, Bayley, and all the rest of the women (and likely the guys in main events) practiced their big matches for Takeovers multiple times before the event.

That's not a bad thing - Hogan/Warrior, Savage/Steamboat and DDP did the same things. However, there is a noticable difference, even ignoring crowd heat between the matches for the NXT women between their matches on NXT and on the main roster - even the longer matches.

Which is fine. None of them are long term veterans. But, it also means they're not great workers yet. They have lots of potential.

As for what they are getting paid, well that is total conjecture and the consensus among people is that top dudes in NJPW are paid pretty damn well. Hell Gallows always jokes about how Anderson nearly made half a mill in 2014 on their podcast (RIP).

If you're getting paid less than Stevie Ray was during the dying days of WCW, you're not actually get paid like a top star.

Ithil

Hrm, lets think about this a second. Firstly, I could give a fuck about star ratings. I sure do love my puro style matches - there is no doubt about that. But what I care about most is characters and storylines I can get into. I have no doubt that AJ or Naka or Anderson could have great matches in the WWE. The question is will I give a fuck about the matches. While of course in NJPW there aren't long promos or massive produced backstage segments or tons of video packages, that is not what I expect out of NJPW and nor is it their intention to produce a product like that. You want to know what was so strong about the last 3 matches of WK10? The fact that they were all distinct. Shibata/Ishii was a total fucking violent brawl, Naka/Styles was not only a dream matchup (which are non-existent in WWE due to its structure) but an interesting melding of styles (heh) and Tana/Okada for all the flaws of that storyline was something that has been consistently building from 2012 and felt like a very very big deal. Again, due to the structure of the WWE this is generally not possible on a show.

In the WWE however these guys are going to be given characters, scripts and storylines. Recent history has borne out that to my particular tastes, the WWE is unable to deliver any good storylines for ANYONE on their roster. Hell you are lucky if you have a storyline. Over the last year of me being into wrestling, I have seen my interest in the talent WWE are presenting to me dwindle to near zero. Ambrose, Ziggler, Wyatt, Rusev, Sheamus, New Day, Sandow, Miz, Becky, every single women, Reigns, Del Rio...all of these people have tons of ability and talent to not only have great matches if booked right but also to be strong characters. The WWE is not capable of exploiting that talent in a way that garners my interest.

Now these performers going to be put into the WWE machine where freedom is much more tightly restricted. And so when they come after some big names in an alternative that I have financial (NJPW World) and emotional investment in, I look at the track record of the WWE why would I think anything else but "oh god there is no hope I nearly already don't give a fuck about these people". These are performers who are used to an environment where they had a large say in the creative process that they took part in.

TL;DR Whatever about match quality, WWE will fuck up the characters of the NJPW imports if they come. The money will be better but not like they are lifting poverty stricken athletes out of the gutter.

As for the comment about the NXT women lol if you think that is the problem with the girls on the main roster.

You give far too much attention to that guy. It's not worth it.

Ithil

And I break my own rule immediately because this is too silly not to respond to.

It's widely known that Becky, Sasha, Bayley, and all the rest of the women (and likely the guys in main events) practiced their big matches for Takeovers multiple times before the event.

That's not a bad thing - Hogan/Warrior, Savage/Steamboat and DDP did the same things. However, there is a noticable difference, even ignoring crowd heat between the matches for the NXT women between their matches on NXT and on the main roster - even the longer matches.

Which is fine. None of them are long term veterans. But, it also means they're not great workers yet. They have lots of potential.

Oh no! You mean like every single match in WWE is done on the weekly double house shows for the month leading up to the PPV? I'm aghast.
The only ones not done like that are the ones featuring part timers like Taker or Brock.

klonere

Banned

The Bayley/Nia Jax match was nothing special in terms of technicality. It was all story. It was all the emotion and reaction from the crowd and just how well Bayley is presented as a face everyone can get into. I'd say the Becky Lynch/Sasha Banks match from last weeks Raw, even with the botches was a better technical match. But the crowd. Didn't. Give. A. Fuck.

Like the fact they had highly practiced matches is definitely a flaw in the NXT system for being moved up to Raw but its near the bottom of the priority list in a division where they proclaimed to have a Revolution and nothing good changed. It's just the old Divas division but more of it.

And I break my own rule immediately because this is too silly not to respond to.

Oh no! You mean like every single match in WWE is done on the weekly double house shows for the month leading up to the PPV? I'm aghast.
The only ones not done like that are the ones featuring part timers like Taker or Brock.

There's a difference between house show matches in front of a crowd that you still have to wrestle and continually being able to practice a spot over and over again with an agent until you get it perfect.

I get it though. No criticism of NXT is alllowed. Sasha, Bayley, and Becky are all perfect wrestlers who have no flaws and obviously, the Bella's are terrible workers who should be immediately be fired.

Should I make a 'make Roman look strong' joke to really fit in?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Jerry Lawler & Byron Saxton?

Fuck smackdown then.

Both of them are horrible. Saxton is such a fucking wet blanket and a bitch on commentary.

He's a spineless twerp and the idea that he is supposed to be a face just shows how out of touch vince is.

He bounces off of Corey Graves a lot better than he does the main roster announce team.

The Bayley/Nia Jax match was nothing special in terms of technicality. It was all story. It was all the emotion and reaction from the crowd and just how well Bayley is presented as a face everyone can get into. I'd say the Becky Lynch/Sasha Banks match from last weeks Raw, even with the botches was a better technical match. But the crowd. Didn't. Give. A. Fuck.

Like the fact they had highly practiced matches is definitely a flaw in the NXT system for being moved up to Raw but its near the bottom of the priority list in a division where they proclaimed to have a Revolution and nothing good changed. It's just the old Divas division but more of it.

If you want to say the storylines suck, I'll heartily agree with you. But, to put all the blame on the difference in the work by the NXT girls all on the WWE instead of admitting they may still have work to do is silliness and typical posturing "the WWE is horrible and does everything wrong" stupidity.

Ithil

There's a difference between house show matches in front of a crowd that you still have to wrestle and continually being able to practice a spot over and over again with an agent until you get it perfect.

I get it though. No criticism of NXT is alllowed. Sasha, Bayley, and Becky are all perfect wrestlers who have no flaws and obviously, the Bella's are terrible workers who should be immediately be fired.

Should I make a 'make Roman look strong' joke to really fit in?

And we're immediately into tantrum territory as always. Back to ignore you go.

I was just in my Delorean and made a brief stop in late 2017. While I was in the future, I caught a snippet of a Stone Cold podcast with Vince McMahon. This is what was said:

SCSA: "Hell yeah Vince, I was just backstage at Raw with this cat Simon Macnamara. He's an incredible talent and always has amazing matches yet he keeps losing to Heath Slater and fans have been askin' me, "Steve, why won't WWE push Simon Macnamara?"

VM: "Well, Simon needs to learn a thing or two about the WWE style so we asked him to stop with the flying knees and to use a reverse STO finisher, as per the time honoured tradition of this business. Plus, he's also too Chinese"
It's funny that you make the reverse sto joke because they like to give everyone that shit.

Isn't it to fight claims that the company is racist?

Its why Booker T was on Raw then he was moved to smackdown.
Get rid of that trash Saxton and put him backstage. If they want a 3 man group do it with booker on raw.

Idk who that new guy is but King needs to fucking stop being a bitch and be The King.

There are also rumors now that Rocky Romero is leaving NJPW, possibly for NXT. Would be a good pickup for them. The talent level in NXT this year is going to be off the damn charts.

With the amount of money they most likely have to give Nakamura to get him, I doubt they'll treat him poorly. At worst he'll be treated like Del Rio, assuming his deal isn't just an NXT thing, and in that position he is talented and naturally charismatic enough to get over. I mean the last top NXT guy to get called up was Owens (sorry Breeze) and he's been treated pretty good after a rocky start losing to Cena. He's more protected than most.

If this is the same Rocky Romero i'm thinking of he's already wrestling in the states. He's been wrestling on Championship Wrestling from Hollywood.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Get rid of that trash Saxton and put him backstage. If they want a 3 man group do it with booker on raw.

Idk who that new guy is but King needs to fucking stop being a bitch and be The King.

Saxton's mostly just inoffensive vanilla paste. I'd much rather see Corey Graves replace JBL.

JBL has some kind of insane dirt on HHH or something though because dude's been a huge asshole for decades and has great job security.

Hrm, lets think about this a second. Firstly, I could give a fuck about star ratings. I sure do love my puro style matches - there is no doubt about that. But what I care about most is characters and storylines I can get into.

The fact that you even gave him that much time off your day is bad.
I was excited about seeing Nakamura until I remembered Vince/Hayes will probably saddle him with a stereotypical gimmick like a Chinese restaurant delivery boy.

"See, these guys NEVER get over in America!"
BWAHHHHHHAAAAAHAHA

Saxton's mostly just inoffensive vanilla paste. I'd much rather see Corey Graves replace JBL.

JBL has some kind of insane dirt on HHH or something though because dude's been a huge asshole for decades and has great job security.
Idk much about this Graves guy but I've heard good thing about him.

JBL like I said was great his first year, but after that Vince told him to tone of down and the rest is history. Just let your heel be a heel and not someone confused. Even Heel Cole got to have fun. Jbl seems like he's bored.

Awesome but lol fantasy booking.

Rome gets
and
Ambrose at #5
knocks him over the top ropes and crowd marks out!!

UberTag

WWE is probably going to make roster cuts soon. There is no way to fit all these guys in the main roster.

That or make NXT is own thing officially
The Social Outcasts could consider themselves lucky they got together in a faction just now then.
It probably says a ton about Sandow's long-term status that he can't even make the cut in a jobber faction or job to the likes of Titus O'Neil on RAW like two of his former tag partners.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I saw that Simon Macnamara post so I figured we should start guessing the new name for Shinsuke considering Finn Balor and Hideo Itami. So here's my guesses:

Li Hanzo
Oda Musashi
Kami Yoshihiro
Ishida Kenshin
Sanada Kotaro
Shibata Nobunaga

Sephzilla

I want to get excited for the Rumble because the whole title scenario opens up the door to a good deal of interesting possibilities. But then I remember that WWE will almost certainly not go with anything interesting.

Nakamura is WWE is going to be super depressing and anger inducing.

I do feel bad for anything coming in to the company right now but guess for guys like him and AJ this is probably their last shot so they might as well just do it and tick the "had a run in WWE" life box

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The '92 Rumble was for a vacant title, the '16 Rumble is basically a title defense. It makes the entire match about Roman now and makes the ending a lot more predictable (in a bad way).

I want to get excited for the Rumble because the whole title scenario opens up the door to a good deal of interesting possibilities. But then I remember that WWE will almost certainly not go with anything interesting.

Which is it? Is the ending predictable or are there interesting possibilities?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I saw that Simon Macnamara post so I figured we should start guessing the new name for Shinsuke considering Finn Balor and Hideo Itami. So here's my guesses:

Li Hanzo
Oda Musashi
Kami Yoshihiro
Ishida Kenshin
Sanada Kotaro
Shibata Nobunaga

I have the easy one, the real one.

Shin Suzuki

or

Nak America

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm beyond excited for the Royal Rumbo. Anyone could win it...even Roman Reigns...and they'd be CHAMPION. Zack Ryder, WWE Champion. Big Show, WWE Champion in 2016.

Calf Nakano.

UberTag

Jerry Lawler & Byron Saxton?

Fuck smackdown then.

Both of them are horrible. Saxton is such a fucking wet blanket and a bitch on commentary.

He's a spineless twerp and the idea that he is supposed to be a face just shows how out of touch vince is.
They want Saxton to be the next "Michael Cole-esque" brand shiller / play-by-play guy.
That's why they've had him on RAW for the past year and why they're now giving him exposure to another guy who excels at the job in Ranallo.

Consider this move them doubling down on Byron.

I think a large part of the reason he comes off poorly right now is that a three-man team doesn't work well with two PBP guys and one guy doing color commentary. It only works with two guys doing color. And Saxton is kind of defacto doing color during his internship and he's not great at it.

The only outcomes are Roman winning... or Triple H as a surprise entrant, eliminating Roman and then the obvious Roman wins the belt back at Mania Star angle.

There are no interesting possibilities. All last night did was eliminate Cena and Lesnar as potential Rumble winners.

Foffy

Banned
via VOW

Our source indicated that the four (Nak, AJ, Gallows, Anderson) gave notice the day of WK10, moments before the show.

Aren't contracts renewed during WK week? Of course, this is bad to have them then, as by New Japan having for of an international presence that they're the product to watch for pure wrestling, you'll have the company with the warchest to buy many of them out. Which may have exactly happened with those grabbed up.

What made all of them shine in New Japan was that it's an environment where they - the wrestler - get to call out the flow of the match. In WWE, you start getting more and more and more overhead. NXT may be an exception, but you quickly learn why: everyone involved in key roles was at one point an active wrestler.

How many yes men for Vince have come from the entertainment industry? Quite a few.

Sephzilla

I don't get what your point is here? My opinion never swayed. The Rumble is going to be predictable as fuck now that the whole Rumble is built around Roman trying to retain his title. If this was a different era or if this had a better build up (like in '92) I'd be way more interested in the various possibilities. But this Rumble is ultimately going to be a glorified WWE Title Gauntlet Match because nothing creative has done gives me any sort of inclination that they'd look down the road of other unexpected possibilities at the expense of Roman Reigns.

Gurrry

They want Saxton to be the next "Michael Cole-esque" brand shiller / play-by-play guy.
That's why they've had him on RAW for the past year and why they're now giving him exposure to another guy who excels at the job in Ranallo.

I think a large part of the reason he comes off poorly right now is that a three-man team doesn't work well with two PBP guys and one guy doing color commentary. It only works with two guys doing color. And Saxton is kind of defacto doing color during his internship and he's not great at it.

The only outcomes are Roman winning... or Triple H as a surprise entrant, eliminating Roman and then the obvious Roman wins the belt back at Mania Star angle.

There are no interesting possibilities. All last night did was eliminate Cena and Lesnar as potential Rumble winners.

Isnt ranallo going to be in the cole spot on smackdown?

Dont tell me saxton is the lead guy on commentary. Even though I never watch smackdown anyway, so it doesnt really matter I guess.

Angry Grimace

The hilarious part to me is that there isn't anyone for Reigns to plausibly fight other than Lesnar, and nobody actually wants to either see that match headline WM yet again, and nobody wants to see Reigns go over Lesnar.

Reigns is in a feud with a bunch of non-wrestlers and a midcarder that doesn't actually get to talk (or even have a representative) as part of the feud.

Fox318

at no point in my life did I ever want to look at something Cole was shilling.

With JR I ordered a hungryman dinner, I researched what stacker2 was and wondered what happened to stacker1, and I bought glover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom