• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

klonere

Banned
Naito going after and totally destroying Tana would be a great storyline. Rising top heel taking apart beloved ex ace who in kayfabe and reality is breaking down?

Oi book it

035.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My biggest hopes out of this is that Naito comes out and talks about the only time he'll get a title is when NJPW has no one left. You've pushed all your stars. And now it's stuck.

With me.

Oh, I am so going to be laughing when Goto wins it next month :)

I won't rule it out, I'll just be very surprised if it does happen - doesn't seem the right time for it in terms of Okada's storyline. Personally, this year I'd have Goto frustrated that he can't win the heavyweight or intercontinental title, then become jealous of Shibata holding the NEVER belt and turn on him instead.

Ricochet has the hottest ass. I just want to grab it so bad. His entrance focuses too little on his cute butt. There's a side shot and you get to see it but I need more. What a complete hottie. Besides Jason Jordan he's totally my wrestling crush and he's the hottest guy in wrestling today.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so the NJPW raid rumours were true then?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ricochet has the hottest ass. I just want to grab it so bad. His entrance focuses too little on his cute butt. There's a side shot and you get to see it but I need more. What a complete hottie. Besides Jason Jordan he's totally my wrestling crush and he's the hottest guy in wrestling today.
#assbiz

I won't rule it out, I'll just be very surprised if it does happen - doesn't seem the right time for it in terms of Okada's storyline. Personally, this year I'd have Goto frustrated that he can't win the heavyweight or intercontinental title, then become jealous of Shibata holding the NEVER belt and turn on him instead.

The problem is that NJPW has made it so turning heel = joining a faction (or creating one, in Naito's case), which doesn't make sense for Goto and his samurai honor thing. Plus, the guy has had eight shots at the title....EIGHT! I know Hase probably had more without winning, but good lord. Dude has been a loyal hand for 10+ years.

If I was booking it, I give Goto the win at New Beginning, and then have Naito win the NJC. Naito challenges Goto for the title at Invasion Attack and wins there, then successfully defends against Okada at Dominion. Then, Okada wins the G1 (yes, it would be his third, but whatever), Naito retains against somebody (Goto again?) at King of Pro Wrestling, and we get Okada/Naito at WK11.

NOTE: Originally, I was going to have Nakamura win the G1 and Okada wins the title back at King of Pro-Wrestling, giving us Okada/Nakamura at WK11, but cest' la vie, as it were.

The problem is that NJPW has made it so turning heel = joining a faction (or creating one, in Naito's case), which doesn't make sense for Goto and his samurai honor thing. Plus, the guy has had eight shots at the title....EIGHT! I know Hase probably had more without winning, but good lord. Dude has been a loyal hand for 10+ years.

If I was booking it, I give Goto the win at New Beginning, and then have Naito win the NJC. Naito challenges Goto for the title at Invasion Attack and wins there, then successfully defends against Okada at Dominion. Then, Okada wins the G1 (yes, it would be his third, but whatever), Naito retains against somebody (Goto again?) at King of Pro Wrestling, and we get Okada/Naito at WK11.

NOTE: Originally, I was going to have Nakamura win the G1 and Okada wins the title back at King of Pro-Wrestling, giving us Okada/Nakamura at WK11, but cest' la vie, as it were.

:'[

klonere

Banned

Having Okada immediately drop the belt after defeating his biggest adversary to Goto and not get back for a year+ doesn't seem like the best way to make a new "ace".

Foffy

Banned
Styles, Gallows, Anderson, and Nakamura (eventually) confirmed, with Tama Tonga, Rocky Romero, and Bad Luck Fale also in talks

Jesus, they're taking the original Bullet Club dudes?

I guess that explains why Omega referred to him ruling Bullet Club as "The Elite" now...probably their new name.

I'm convinced this was their plan too, until the notice letter got handed over. It's the obvious next step.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Having Okada immediately drop the belt after defeating his biggest adversary to Goto and not get back for a year+ doesn't seem like the best way to make a new "ace".

neither does having your most popular upcoming heel jobbing to goto in a nothing title match so you can keep pushing the old dated gaijin faction that's been stale for ofver a year
gedo.jpg

Styles, Gallows, Anderson, and Nakamura (eventually) confirmed, with Tama Tonga, Rocky Romero, and Bad Luck Fale also in talks

In hindsight this was a) an obvious WWE choice and b) the one I would be happiest to see leave NJPW. He'll become Youmanga 2.0, he even does the spike.

I wouldn't have him turn fully heel as such, just turn on Shibata (usual tag team disagreement stuff) and feud for the NEVER belt. Also, I am all for a Goto 'thanks for your long service' title run a'la Taue or Nakanishi, I just really can't see it happening right after Okada has finally vanquished Tanahashi.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm starting to get the vague impression you don't dig this NJPW shit, Data.

They have the best heavyweight roster in the world period. Or did. But their long-term booking is stale and one-note, and their faction warfare is complete shit.

I think their cards are so good because they have some of the best wrestlers on the planet working for them. Not because of their booking.

They have the best heavyweight roster in the world period. Or did. But their long-term booking is stale and one-note, and their faction warfare is complete shit.

I think their cards are so good because they have some of the best wrestlers on the planet working for them. Not because of their booking.

That's a fair point. The in-ring is so strong (style) that they get away with it. But I much prefer their in-ring first approach over Vince's sports entertainment.

How long until LU is back, by the way? I hope that show finally gets the exposure it deserves.
Then we'll all whimper when Ricochet, Muertes, Fenix and our true god Pentagon end up in NXT as a result

Foffy

Banned

Did? They lost a few dudes. I think a lot of their native talent is rather lucky they don't know English. It keeps them there.

I can't imagine Ishii in WWE unless he's murdering dudes.

That's a fair point. The in-ring is so strong (style) that they get away with it. But I much prefer their in-ring first approach over Vince's sports entertainment.

How long until LU is back, by the way? I hope that show finally gets the exposure it deserves.
Then we'll all whimper when Ricochet, Muertes, Fenix and our true god Pentagon end up in NXT as a result

And then think about what makes all those guys you listed cool, and ask yourself if that would stick around after they go to the 'E.

(Except Ricochet, Prince Puma is his weakest incarnation)

There's also chatter the Tonga/Fale stuff is just them angling for better deals in New Japan.

Did you watch the Devitt documentary that followed him as he finished up with New Japan? Bullet Club all seemed very close - especially Devitt, Anderson, Gallows and Fale. I'd be very surprised if they hadn't all been planning to join him down the road since he made the jump.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wrestle-1 had a better angle in 2015 than anything NJPW did to me. Hideku Suzuki's reign was smartly booked and was something unique and different, especially in Japan.
Did? They lost a few dudes. I think a lot of their native talent is rather lucky they don't know English. It keeps them there.

I can't imagine Ishii in WWE unless he's murdering dudes.
I'd argue AJ Styles is the best wrestler of the last 2 years, so that's a huge blow. Nakamura's body has been wearing down and it really shows in 2015 post-Ibushi. I don't think Nakamura hurts that bad. They've not booked him as the main focus in years. He's more of a Taker role.

AJ was the only guy they built up to be close to Okada and Tanahashi's booking. They squandered Shibata and Naito and now it might be too late

Ithil

Did you watch the Devitt documentary that followed him as he finished up with New Japan? Bullet Club all seemed very close - especially Devitt, Anderson, Gallows and Fale. I'd be very surprised if they hadn't all been planning to join him down the road since he made the jump.

Sure, but with a bunch of guys leaving they could easily angle themselves into better spots in the company. Tonga has basically never done anything but job, for instance.
Look at Omega getting slotted into AJ's spot, it's a big promotion (obviously he's a better talent than either of them but still).

And then think about what makes all those guys you listed cool, and ask yourself if that would stick around after they go to the 'E.

(Except Ricochet, Prince Puma is his weakest incarnation)

Ricochet's not going to WWE. He's held a grudge against them for years and denied multiple offers since that time he tried out and they basically said if he was physically bigger they'd actually consider him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Fantasma/Cuerno is the only LU guy right now I could see end up in WWE. Maybe Texano. Fenix is a matter of time.

and AAA REALLY Doesn't need that right now.

Wrestle-1 had a better angle in 2015 than anything NJPW did to me. Hideku Suzuki's reign was smartly booked and was something unique and different, especially in Japan.

I'd argue AJ Styles is the best wrestler of the last 2 years, so that's a huge blow. Nakamura's body has been wearing down and it really shows in 2015 post-Ibushi. I don't think Nakamura hurts that bad. They've not booked him as the main focus in years. He's more of a Taker role.

AJ was the only guy they built up to be close to Okada and Tanahashi's booking. They squandered Shibata and Naito and now it might be too late

By all accounts Nakamura's the biggest merch sell. (Less certain about ticket draws, think he and Okada are basically neck and neck) Either way, it definitely hurts to lose that

Sure, but with a bunch of guys leaving they could easily angle themselves into better spots in the company. Tonga has basically never done anything but job, for instance.
Look at Omega getting slotted into AJ's spot, it's a big promotion (obviously he's a better talent than either of them but still).

Hopefully they'll all step up. I presume Omega will make the G1 this year then? Tonga has the most potential out of him, Fale and that cunt Yujiro for sure.

I'm surprised NXT didn't grab Cody Hall, given that they have a permanent erection for second and third gen wrestlers, and how WWE peddles the narrative that the Kliq was somehow a really good thing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Cody can go to NXT whenever he wants.

He's specifically doing the NJPW thing because he's not some millenial relative shithead who wants to get in just because of who he's related to
Usos2_2217848a.jpg

clQd4kvW.jpg

f2f65d177d2557e1a511b8bb1f68b583.jpg

LionPride

Banned
So some NJPW guys are coming to the WWE, a couple of who are some of my favorite performers. Does this mean I have to actually should watch Raw again instead of just reading what happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom