• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

Which WWE Superstar would you be the least surprised owned a Vita?

wIubmSW.gif

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Is the double double e still shitty and will AJ Styles and japanese guy I keep hearing about make it better?

Also did they fire the miz

Ithil

So some NJPW guys are coming to the WWE, a couple of who are some of my favorite performers. Does this mean I have to actually should watch Raw again instead of just reading what happened?

Hope they go to NXT and have a nice run and stay far, far away from RAW.

Foffy

Banned
Wrestle-1 had a better angle in 2015 than anything NJPW did to me. Hideku Suzuki's reign was smartly booked and was something unique and different, especially in Japan.

I'd argue AJ Styles is the best wrestler of the last 2 years, so that's a huge blow. Nakamura's body has been wearing down and it really shows in 2015 post-Ibushi. I don't think Nakamura hurts that bad. They've not booked him as the main focus in years. He's more of a Taker role.

AJ was the only guy they built up to be close to Okada and Tanahashi's booking. They squandered Shibata and Naito and now it might be too late

That's true with AJ. He was their great pick. I actually thought AJ would ride his career out in Japan because the schedule is light enough, and he can be left in the top scene so he's not exactly being left behind. He seemed to really enjoy New Japan as well, but I guess that WWE itch, whether or not they use him well, is strong in the dreams of many who get involved in this vocation.

I can only hope New Japan's ace in the sleeve is their interest in collaborating with even more companies than they do now. Not only will everyone involved get more exposure, it can fill in the void here. I can't even think of a guy to challenge Okada now that is in the same league as Tanahashi. This person either has to be shot to the moon in New Japan - I would have said Naito, but that was before Wrestle Kingdom... - or potentially an invader. The closest they have would be someone from NOAH, potentially someone from Suzuki-gun.

Some of the rumors have AJ debuting at the Rumble and Meltzer seemed to hint at that as well, as he said WWE wanted to keep these signings secret to "have some surprises at the Rumble". Because they won't have Nakamura immediately, I could see them giving AJ a lot of shine in the Rumble and a relatively high WM spot to try and gather Network subs in Japan. Probably would hype his NJPW accomplishments similar to what they do with Lesnar.

Is the double double e still shitty and will AJ Styles and japanese guy I keep hearing about make it better?

Also did they fire the miz

Simon "Nak America" Macnamara will have to wrestle differently and perfect the reverse STO, so the jury is out on him. Styles has a great chance, but i'm going to miss both of their NJPW performances. G1 is going to be a strange one this year.

Somehow The Miz is still employed, but spends more time making Christmas movies and interviewing people as far as I can tell (I haven't watched Raw since Mania so I could be completely wrong).

Hex

Banned

Still holding out that Nak gets a fat counter offer from NJPW and stays.
I mean, just that theme. His theme is godlike.
Can you imagine the garbage that he would be stuck with by the E?
The rest can work in WWE and more power to them.
I do hope AJ takes some downtime though if rumors of his back issues were true.

Meltzer said that AJ and Nakamura were absolutely not signed for NXT. They could show up there possibly, but those two, especially Nakamura, are getting paid way, way more than anyone in NXT, Balor included. Some rumors have AJ debuting on the main roster as soon as the Rumble.

Foffy

Banned
Some of the rumors have AJ debuting at the Rumble and Meltzer seemed to hint at that as well, as he said WWE wanted to keep these signings secret to "have some surprises at the Rumble". Because they won't have Nakamura immediately, I could see them giving AJ a lot of shine in the Rumble and a relatively high WM spot to try and gather Network subs in Japan. Probably would hype his NJPW accomplishments similar to what they do with Lesnar.

WWE tries to actively ignore the fact Lesnar even went to New Japan. Listen to most accounts of his record; only JBL will cite the IWGP reign, and he stopped doing that.

WWE tries to actively ignore the fact Lesnar even went to New Japan. Listen to most accounts of his record; only JBL will cite the IWGP reign, and he stopped doing that.

Yeah, but they need to sell the Network in Japan. The fact that they grabbed these four guys right before they launched the Network there is no coincidence. They'll probably hype their Japan accomplishments, even if they don't mention New Japan or IWGP by name.

Ithil

Meltzer said that AJ and Nakamura were absolutely not signed for NXT. They could show up there possibly, but those two, especially Nakamura, are getting paid way, way more than anyone in NXT, Balor included. Some rumors have AJ debuting on the main roster as soon as the Rumble.

Hence why I said hope. They have no good will left for the main roster, they used it all up. As soon as you get Cole going "Oh my!" you know it's gonna suck.

shaowebb

Imagine a Swagsuke Wrestlemania sized entrance?

jesus...

They would have him in fake buck teeth, bottle glasses, or carrying around anime and love pillows before they'd let him have a legit pop and get over. Vince doesn't push asians. He BURIES them to make the world look at his guys squashing the overseas top draws hoping they buy his men as better by crushing the careers of top talent from rival promotions. Do you think he'd actually legit let folks get into Shinsuke's strong style? He'd tell boredom houses like Big Show to no sell it, look large and toss him around forever and order the man to job to the giants with no skill or personality.

Still holding out that Nak gets a fat counter offer from NJPW and stays.
I mean, just that theme. His theme is godlike.
Can you imagine the garbage that he would be stuck with by the E?
The rest can work in WWE and more power to them.
I do hope AJ takes some downtime though if rumors of his back issues were true.

Yeah, the theme is boss. It's been in my head all day. It even gets clap-alongs from the "traditionally subdued japanese crowd" as either Striker or Kelly called them yesterday.

I wonder what CFCK$ will come up with for him.

That's true with AJ. He was their great pick. I actually thought AJ would ride his career out in Japan because the schedule is light enough, and he can be left in the top scene so he's not exactly being left behind. He seemed to really enjoy New Japan as well, but I guess that WWE itch, whether or not they use him well, is strong in the dreams of many who get involved in this vocation.

I can only hope New Japan's ace in the sleeve is their interest in collaborating with even more companies than they do now. Not only will everyone involved get more exposure, it can fill in the void here. I can't even think of a guy to challenge Okada now that is in the same league as Tanahashi. This person either has to be shot to the moon in New Japan - I would have said Naito, but that was before Wrestle Kingdom... - or potentially an invader. The closest they have would be someone from NOAH, potentially someone from Suzuki-gun.

Kenny Omega seems to be loyal and happy in Japan and I don't see him leaving for WWE given their history.

They need to have Naito and Shibata to step up. Continue to build up Ibushi.

They're in the right direction with their new NXT styled Young Lion fed.

Ithil

Owens has been treated mostly fine, and he's the last top NXT/Independent guy to debut. He's more protected than most, that's for sure.

But then you see Itami going Big Show'd and "WELCOME TO THE BIG LEAGUES HYUCK HYUCK". The one potential saving grace for Nakamura might be that he's 6'2, it has a chance of saving him.

But then you see Itami going Big Show'd and "WELCOME TO THE BIG LEAGUES HYUCK HYUCK". The one potential saving grace for Nakamura might be that he's 6'2, it has a chance of saving him.

I think the fact that Nakamura will be making more than 95% of the roster will probably help him out.

Ithil

AJ also was coming apart physically doing those harsh New Japan main event matches, even if he was clearly having the time of his life doing them. When he was on WOR around the G1 time he more or less said he was expecting to be wrestling for another 3-4 years before retiring.
The possibility of one big money run in WWE this late in his career is inevitably tempting, even if it might all go wrong. WWE is that big gamble, take the heavy risk that you will be wasted against the slim possibility you'll be a megastar.

I'm not saying brand split; but maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised and the new acquisitions will go toward trying to make Smackdown a more distinct product from Raw?

Just can't see the people they brought in mixing it up with Roman Reigns or something.

Either way, I'm excited about it.

Ithil

I think the fact that Nakamura will be making more than 95% of the roster will probably help him out.

So is Del Rio, and he's just another guy on the roster anyway. Though I guess Del Rio's current spot would still be the highest spot a Japanese guy has ever had in WWE.

fauxtrot

Banned
What do y'all make of AJ Styles potentially getting signed to WWE after having pretty serious back injuries over the last few months? I find it pretty strange that they would sign him if his back was anywhere close to as bad as it sounded like it was prior to Final Battle and WK10.

It just seems really strange to me, seeing that he seems to be the guy everyone is speculating will show up in the Rumble and will likely be in WWE full-time after that. I could see if he was going to NXT where his schedule would be much lighter than the grueling WWE circuit, and maybe he'll be there for a bit post-Rumble, but will he have recovered well enough by then to jump into the WWE schedule a month or two from now? I really hope he doesn't push it to the point where he would need surgery not long after the call-up.

It just seems... strange. Very strange.

(Sorry if this has already been talked about.)

Foffy

Banned
Kenny Omega seems to be loyal and happy in Japan and I don't see him leaving for WWE given their history.

They need to have Naito and Shibata to step up. Continue to build up Ibushi.

They're in the right direction with their new NXT styled Young Lion fed.

Omega seems like a guy who genuinely wanted to get into wrestling to do it in Japan. He really is that kind of cheesy anime nerd at heart. The only one who got away with that in WWE is Xavier Woods.

I don't think Omega would particularly abandon that entire lifestyle for a WWE run. He seems more passioned by the culture and life he can live by wrestling in Japan than just getting the most out of wrestling. Unless he was injured and needed the money, but I'm sure he's fine enough in Japan.

Need a breather from New Japan #NXTGate?

The get your ears around the new impact theme, which sounds to me like Billy Corgan failing to remind me what I ever enjoyed about Smashing Pumpkins in the mid 90's...

p4k.co/WFtJV

Why Billy. Why did you turn out to be such a tit.

klonere

Banned
¡HarlequinPanic!;191334534 said:
I'm not saying brand split; but maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised and the new acquisitions will go toward trying to make Smackdown a more distinct product from Raw?

Just can't see the people they brought in mixing it up with Roman Reigns or something.

Either way, I'm excited about it.

I genuinely hope a soft brand split occurs. A 2 hour Smackdown revolving around Owens, Ambrose, AJ, Nak, Joe and Balor would be pretty sick. Like the old plan to make Smackdown the Bryan with IC title show.

This is all of course caveated by the need to let the performers have more creative control~

Carnby

Ricochet has the hottest ass. I just want to grab it so bad. His entrance focuses too little on his cute butt. There's a side shot and you get to see it but I need more. What a complete hottie. Besides Jason Jordan he's totally my wrestling crush and he's the hottest guy in wrestling today.

Imagine if one us wrote a post about grabbing a Diva's ass.

Ithil

Omega is a puro for lifer now. He lives in Japan, speaks fluent Japanese, wrestled for the most Japanese of Japanese comedy promotions forever, and is highly disparaging any time someone brings up his WWE developmental stint.

I genuinely hope a soft brand split occurs. A 2 hour Smackdown revolving around Owens, Ambrose, AJ, Nak, Joe and Balor would be pretty sick. Like the old plan to make Smackdown the Bryan with IC title show.

This is all of course caveated by the need to let the performers have more creative control~

Okay but the RAW is down to Reigns, the League of Nations guys, part-time Cena, New Day and then your Zigglers and Neville types. Thats not nearly enough for a three hour show.

Need a breather from New Japan #NXTGate?

The get your ears around the new impact theme, which sounds to me like Billy Corgan failing to remind me what I ever enjoyed about Smashing Pumpkins in the mid 90's...

p4k.co/WFtJV

Why Billy. Why did you turn out to be such a tit.

as a pumpkins fan who has suffered through the very worst of billy corgan (ie that last album), it's not half bad. Just not very exciting.

kind of sounds like some piddly backing track he made while working on his solo album :p

DMczaf

What do y'all make of AJ Styles potentially getting signed to WWE after having pretty serious back injuries over the last few months? I find it pretty strange that they would sign him if his back was anywhere close to as bad as it sounded like it was prior to Final Battle and WK10.

He was working you marks.

Having Okada immediately drop the belt after defeating his biggest adversary to Goto and not get back for a year+ doesn't seem like the best way to make a new "ace".

It did happen to Tanahashi on a couple of occasions though, which built him up to be the ace more. He lost the title to Nakanishi, won it right back, had to vacate it, and didn't win the title again until WK5. He was without the title for a year+, but still was considered the ace.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Here's the good side-

I bet NJPW brings in Go to help their main roster out and Go gets away from Mr Vice President Marufuji

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom