• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"All the people I like win all the time and all the people I don't like get fired or disappear!"

Also, belts changing hands on free TV started the downfall of the business. A belt changing hands with the people watching it paying for it is worthless and only devalues the belt.

I don't see this logic. If a belt has a chance to change hands during RAW or Smackdown then people will tune in again.

oo7

TNA just don't get it do they? They have an opportunity to change it up for a potential new audience and what do we get? Dixie fuckin Carter opening up the show yapping. Change your ugly ass logo. Change the impact wrestling font. Change your color scheme. Everything about the product looks cheap, and has for 15 years. You have a title called the King of the Mountain title????? Get the fuck out of here jesus christ. I could vent all day on this company but why bother.

Look at WCW from mid 96 to early 98 formula and copy it verbatim. Boom, you instantly have a watchable product.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TNA just don't get it do they? They have an opportunity to change it up for a potential new audience and what do we get? Dixie fuckin Carter opening up the show yapping. Change your ugly ass logo. Change the impact wrestling font. Change your color scheme. Everything about the product looks cheap, and has for 15 years. You have a title called the King of the Mountain title????? Get the fuck out of here jesus christ. I could vent all day on this company but why bother.

Look at WCW from mid 96 to early 98 formula and copy it verbatim. Boom, you instantly have a watchable product.

So the way to have a watchable product is a 220 man roster, a 25 million dollar budget and the support of the largest cable network. Glad to know.

Everything about the product looks cheap, and has for 15 years. You have a title called the King of the Mountain title?????

The best part is the King of the Mountain title? Literally the Legends title Booker/Nash/Styles had. And the Global title Eric Young came up with. And the TV title Hogan said would be defended weekly, and wasn't defended more than 2 months before they gave up again.

Seriously

After watching WK10, I hope the transition from NJPW to WWE can be pulled off. The feel and dynamic of that PPV was so different and fresh (for me as a newcomer to NJPW) compared to WWE. Similar to how I appreciate and enjoy LU going full tilt on gimmicks, production and story it's nice to have NJPW kind of be the opposite. WWE feels like a cartoon show by comparison.

oo7

So the way to have a watchable product is a 220 man roster, a 25 million dollar budget and the support of the largest cable network. Glad to know.

Yes because that's what made it an exciting product to watch when the bell rang...

Ithil

Lucha Underground makes the most of a small budget, and more importantly looks completely different from WWE instead of a cheaper version.

I don't how you guys haven't learned by now. TNA will never change. They will always be who they are. No matter what network, no matter what roster. Tonight's show was a chance to do something new, and they opened it with all the bad shit that brought their product down to where it is. Bad authority figures, run-ins on top of run-ins, and chaos for the sake of chaos. Also Josh Matthews and the Pope are fucking garbage announcers and the fact that they didn't change them out tells you all you need to know.

I love how that's pretty much their go-to defining characteristic for every face they're trying to push.
Then, they go on to talk about their collegiate career and shit they did for a living before wrestling... like play football. As if anyone cares.

Since when do people not care about people having legit athletic backgrounds?

I don't how you guys haven't learned by now. TNA will never change. They will always be who they are. No matter what network, no matter what roster. Tonight's show was a chance to do something new, and they opened it with all the bad shit that brought their product down to where it is. Bad authority figures, run-ins on top of run-ins, and chaos for the sake of chaos. Also Josh Matthews and the Pope are fucking garbage announcers and the fact that they didn't change them out tells you all you need to know.

Exactly. I gave up on them like 3 years ago after multiple chances for them to fix things.

Also, James Storm is a dumbass.

FUCKING LOL

CYAA-FiWMAAxbw1.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yes because that's what made it an exciting product to watch when the bell rang...

How do you think they hired the best roster known to man for both exciting matches in the undercard and named talents from the early 80's and 90's to sell tickets? A gigantic budget. One-Three hours on one of the best nights for television. Another program when things were going really well. A merchandise line. A successful touring brand.

Takes money to make money.

You're not wrong though, they had the budget to do this in the Spike years.

How do you think they hired the best roster known to man for both exciting matches in the undercard and named talents from the early 80's and 90's to sell tickets? A gigantic budget. One-Three hours on one of the best nights for television. Another program when things were going really well. A merchandise line. A successful touring brand.

Takes money to make money.

You're not wrong though, they had the budget to do this in the Spike years.

Didn't Bischoff convince Turner to give him a blank check to fix things?

jred2k

I know this is the least remarkable comment ever made, but Kurt Angle really looks bad. I haven't watch TNAnything in a while and can't believe how rough he looks.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
So when you have Styles and the others potentially come over how do you start them off, do you start them off separately, or put them together as a stable because League of Nations can fuck off and suck so bad, maybe a new stable would be better with them being heels (Aj and the others I mean)

So when you have Styles and the others potentially come over how do you start them off, do you start them off separately, or put them together as a stable because League of Nations can fuck off and suck so bad, maybe a new stable would be better with them being heels (Aj and the others I mean)

They've done it before with the Nexus, I think they could do this again with Balor/Bullet Club. They just need to not have it be so god damn hokey. Have it have a slight edge to it ala NWO or Shield.

I know this is the least remarkable comment ever made, but Kurt Angle really looks bad. I haven't watch TNAnything in a while and can't believe how rough he looks.

Here's what you missed in the last year:
Recovered from a torn MCL
Won the world title again (DA thought literal ex-Marine Bobby Lashley wasn't patriotic enough to hold the belt in their first few televised title defenses, so they asked for Angle to have the belt)
Lost it 6 months later
Took a couple weeks off and had surgery to get rid of a tumor he had in his neck for over a year (kept wrestling until it started to press on a nerve, at which point they booked him to drop the belt)
Announced January would be his last match in TNA
Is expected to have at least one fight in Bellator after leaving, either against Ken Shamrock or Tito Ortiz

jred2k

Here's what you missed in the last year:
Recovered from a torn MCL
Won the world title again (DA thought literal ex-Marine Bobby Lashley wasn't patriotic enough to hold the belt in their first few televised title defenses, so they asked for Angle to have the belt)
Lost it 6 months later
Took a couple weeks off and had surgery to get rid of a tumor he had in his neck for over a year (kept wrestling until it started to press on a nerve, at which point they booked him to drop the belt)
Announced January would be his last match in TNA
Is expected to have at least one fight in Bellator after leaving, either against Ken Shamrock or Tito Ortiz

Didn't he also have to interact with his ex-wife and her new husband regularly for a couple weeks? His face shows psychological scars and not just physcial.

TheStruggler

They've done it before with the Nexus, I think they could do this again with Balor/Bullet Club. They just need to not have it be so god damn hokey. Have it have a slight edge to it ala NWO or Shield.

Def thinking a NWO type of thing, have them be heels but razor sharp and have an edge, I know wrestling is more directed towards adolescence now but with the right guys coming in they could definitely make the product a little edgier, just hope vince and creative dont fuck it up.

They could also literally bring them in as Vince's New World Order.

I think they need to just be on their own. I worry if a larger name, HHH hypothetically, is involved it will become more about HHH than them. This is the same thing that happened with nwo once Hogan and Bischoff came in. It started to be the Bischoff show or the Hogan show and less about the nwo being the nwo.

TheStruggler

They could also literally bring them in as Vince's New World Order.

I think they need to be their own thing, they need to be heels but stand against the authority, would it make them faces maybe, but give them an NWO where they are their own bosses do as they please and fuck up the show on purpose when they want

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom