• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
#Pray4Data

tumblr_nme7gaEE6z1sbzhteo1_400.gif

somedevil

Man Okada is not doing a great job promoting his match with Goto by saying stuff like this:

About Goto's challenge
Okada "I felt the same way the Korakuen fans did. All 'Whaaat?'

Okada "I said before I never wanted to embarrass myself again, but Goto...he's the living embodiment of embarrassment."

While im sure this is a big deal for some of the bigger wrestling fans, I have a hard time believing that they are gonna illicit any sort of giant reactions from the main roster crowds.

NXT crowds on the other hand....

Would have said the same about the SHIELD guys. It's all about how they debut and how they are treated in the weeks and months after. That's why it makes sense to debut a guy like AJ at the Rumble. That crowd will be full of people who know who he is, and he'll get a great reaction.

Gurrry

Would have said the same about the SHIELD guys. It's all about how they debut and how they are treated in the weeks and months after. That's why it makes sense to debut a guy like AJ at the Rumble. That crowd will be full of people who know who he is, and he'll get a great reaction.

Good point. That would be a perfect place to debut.

Which is exactly why it wont happen.

Good point. That would be a perfect place to debut.

Which is exactly why it wont happen.

Actually the rumor right now is that the Rumble will be the debut for AJ.

If you put him out there and he gets a great reaction, then you have him get to the final five or six with the rest of your top guys, he'll gain a ton of credibility with the casual audience.

thefro

So when you have Styles and the others potentially come over how do you start them off, do you start them off separately, or put them together as a stable because League of Nations can fuck off and suck so bad, maybe a new stable would be better with them being heels (Aj and the others I mean)

AJ and Balor would be both be fine starting off as singles. AJ's probably the most known guy out there who hasn't been in WWE (outside of a couple squash matches he lost) and will be over at a midcard level.

Nakamura would need to be booked right and you'd need to let him do his thing, hype him up as a champion and the "best wrestler in Japan". Unless he starts in NXT it'd be easier to just stick him in the "Balor Club" group for the main run of the stable.

Anderson/Gallows would be backup and the muscle. They shouldn't appear until the stable gets formed.

Think you need at least one other big hoss guy (Corbin?) and another potential upper-midcarder type (Joe? Turn someone from the main roster?) on top of those five to make a group that would be a threat to the Cenas and Reigns of the world given how they've been booked.

Penguin

So reading Twitter/sites, am I to believe that TNA literally spent 3 months on a title tourney... to get back to the same exact match that started this entire thing?

Fantasticamania cards sound INCREDIBLE. Virus vs. Dragon Lee, Dorada vs. BUSHI, Cavernario vs. Titan, Jay White/Dragon Lee vs. Virus/Hechicero, VIRUS VS. LIGER

Fox318

FUCKING LOL

CYAA-FiWMAAxbw1.jpg
I honestly can't think of a dumber move.

This fucker was over in NXT and he said her feather work TNA and high school gyms with Scott Steiner and a comatose Brutus The Barber beefcake.

Even if the pay was less you at least still get to live in Florida and who knows what happens.

I bet you he left when Billy Gunn got busted with HHHs steroid stash.

Gurrry

Actually the rumor right now is that the Rumble will be the debut for AJ.

If you put him out there and he gets a great reaction, then you have him get to the final five or six with the rest of your top guys, he'll gain a ton of credibility with the casual audience.

Well ill be damned. This would be pretty awesome. I dont know shit about any of these guys, but ive heard all of their names from people here on GAF as well as on LAW radio.

I just hope they can bring those same qualities that make them so likeable to the main roster in WWE.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

This fucker was over in NXT and he said her feather work TNA and high school gyms with Scott Steiner and a comatose Brutus The Barber beefcake.

Even if the pay was less you at least still get to live in Florida and who knows what happens.

James Storm isn't even the dumbest part of that segment. They rehired BRAM.

Well ill be damned. This would be pretty awesome. I dont know shit about any of these guys, but ive heard all of their names from people here on GAF as well as on LAW radio.

I just hope they can bring those same qualities that make them so likeable to the main roster in WWE.

Do yourself a favor and track down Nakamura vs. Styles from a few days ago. It's not hard to find. And you'll know all you need to about why everyone is excited when you're done watching it.

It's sounding less that he walked and more like he had to come crawling back. Expected a lot more money than WWE was ever realistically offering him, regardless if he was going to the main roster ever

DMczaf

DAVE MELTZER TO RECEIVE HONOR FROM NATIONAL WRESTLING HALL OF FAME

Wrestling Observer Newsletter founder Dave Meltzer will receive the Jim Melby Award from the National Wrestling Hall of Fame's Dan Gable Museum later this year in Waterloo, IA.

On the induction weekend of July 14-16, Dave will be recognized during the George Tragos/Lou Thesz Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame induction weekend. The Jim Melby Award recognizes excellence in professional journalism, named in honor of Jim Melby, a professional wrestling historian and journalist. Tickets are available for the entire weekend by emailing the museum or by calling (319) 233-0745.

Also set to be inducted during the weekend: former UFC fighter and MMA personality Chael Sonnen. Four more inductees will be announced later this year.

From the press release:

"I am very proud to receive this honor because of what it entails and because of my great respect for Jim Melby and the connection with Lou Thesz,” said Meltzer. “In 1971, I sent a newsletter to Melby, and he praised it in his fan club column in Wrestling Monthly Magazine. I started getting subscribers based on his recommendation. The truth is, there is not a chance in the world my life would have taken the turn it did without Melby, and he was so gracious with me when I was in my preteen and teenager years."

Besides his work being read here on our site, Dave can also be read on MMA Fighting.com where he contributes as an MMA Senior Writer. He's published, edited, and written the Observer newsletter since 1983 and has worked for The National Sports Daily and Yahoo Sports in his long career.

dave-meltzer-ny-times.jpg

UberTag

I was going to go to this show, but the idea of putting money in Dixie Carter's bank account sickens me.
I think the WWE has the right idea by not acknowledging TNA while acknowledging every other wrestling organization on the planet.

So I just got to the J.O.B squad 2.0

When does Ryder, Mizdow, Fandango, and R Truth form the counter stable?
R Truth gets on TV too much to be in that group.
R-Truth makes Vince laugh. Ryder is safely in NXT.
I think Sandow and Fandango's days in WWE are numbered.

James Storm isn't even the dumbest part of that segment. They rehired BRAM.

Bram is Charlotte's ex-husband that was arrested for domestic violence, right?

And someone please get Matt Hardy's baby a haircut. That baby had Shawn Michaels' current hairline.

I fins it strange that people are saying "NJPW will be fine! They are great at building new guys!" and use examples like Shibata (age 36), Ishii (40), and Goto (also 36). The only young guy they've actually built at all the last few years is Ibushi, and even he is already 33. Meltzer has specifically pointed out over the past year how bad NJPW is at actually cultivating new talent, and how they are especially bad compared to WWE, with the PC and NXT.

I think the Young Lion promotion stuff is a prime example of the fact that it's a problem and they know it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also, looks like both young lions are going to CMLL.

NJPW didn't build shit with Ibushi. Ibushi was built before he came. It's the reason they got him.

Who the hell is this lady O_O?

Evie. She did the job for Nia Jax's debut, and looked better than Jax in the match. She's one of my favorite women out there right now. Her strikes are great.

NJPW didn't build shit with Ibushi. Ibushi was built before he came. It's the reason they got him.

I was trying to be generous, but yeah. The only thing they really did was push him into the heavyweight scene, and that was more because he was so over already than in an attempt to get him over.

Hell you will be getting AJ and Nakamura chants every single RAW from now on

Think about that, would it have been better if this really was kept in the hush hush, or would you rather softly get the word out there and generate interest for the Rumble for the possibility of an AJ Styles debut? Granted a small audience would even know about the news but hey it's something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom