• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
These clips of Sunday Night Heat from '98 are great. I loved the energy of the show when the WWE actually tried to prop it up as a proper 2nd show before Smackdown came along.

Wasn't Heat originally intended a pre-show to the PPV then it spun off into it's own? I remember watch Heat's and then flipping to the channel with the PPV.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wasn't Heat originally intended a pre-show to the PPV then it spun off into it's own? I remember watch Heat's and then flipping to the channel with the PPV.

Basically as soon as the Austin era begins the WWF turns everything that's not RAW into clip shows, so as 1998 goes along they decide to make Heat a secondary show with the upside of it airing right before the monthly PPV as well, allowing it to function as a preshow.

Menome

#Snitch town

Professor Beef's in snitch town

He can't post no more

Was a fight about the guy who plays Thor#

Menome

Anyone else who wants an 80s song dedicated in their honour needs to get got by Monday as this appears to now be this week's gimmick.

To be fair though, nothing's going to beat #Broooonx-Man#

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm not going to spoil tag it because it's not like anyone here will watch it.

Kamaitachi losing his hair is a big bummer because he had a great look. He had a great look with the mask as well so that really hurts for him. That said, if I was in Kamaitachi's position, there's no one I'd want more to feud with than Maximo. As a young, upcoming heel, Maximo is pretty much the perfect partner you could get. He'll get you over, he'll bump for you, and he can work a decent match without burying you and his super charisma will make all of your matches far more valuable than any of your matches prior because the crowd's so invested in him.

Watched Hart of Gold and it's amazing the length Brett & Owen went to with that feud. Not even communicating during family dinners? That's so great.

I think the way media works now makes it hard for wrestlers to go that extra mile and over sell any story line.

Watched Hart of Gold and it's amazing the length Brett & Owen went to with that feud. Not even communicating during family dinners? That's so great.

I think the way media works now makes it hard for wrestlers to go that extra mile and over sell any story line.

Everyone travels with each other, they're buddy buddy, and all of that shit.

The one cool thing about the shield is that travelled with each other, ate with other, and were quiet in public.

Owen hated his brother so much he didn't even go to WcW with him lol.

Touchdown

Banned
Just paying my respects to king Beef. He was a good guy.

latest

I know a few people say that pre-attitude Era was terrible, but watching that reminded me there was a brief period between cartoony WWE and Reality Show WWE that wasn't that awful. I guess it was 96-98ish?

I know a few people say that pre-attitude Era was terrible, but watching that reminded me there was a brief period between cartoony WWE and Reality Show WWE that wasn't that awful. I guess it was 96-98ish?

Dec 95-Dec 97.

That's when they suck fuck what the heads were bitching about and went edgier.

Of course there were still somethings to be ironed out but once Vince knew he was losing Nash and Hall he decided to up yhe ante. It still wouldn't be quite enough though. That's when the Attitude went full force.

Dec 95-Dec 97.

That's when they suck fuck what the heads were bitching about and went edgier.

Of course there were still somethings to be ironed out but once Vince knew he was losing Nash and Hall he decided to up yhe ante. It still wouldn't be quite enough though. That's when the Attitude went full force.

Yea that sounds about right. You still had some goofy gimmicks, but they weren't things like Comet Kid or Crush or Atom Bomb. Goldust was just getting going then IIRC and it was definitely trippy as hell for WWE then.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Honestly? The wrestling is way, way better at the end of the New Generation (until roughly the end of 1997 when Austin's neck is broke, Bret leaves, Shawn is messed up on drugs) than it is until 2000, aka the bread and salt of the Attitude era. Add that to the even better wrestling in the low card in WCW from 1996 on and 1996 and 1997 are simply two of the best years of wrestling ever. 2000-2003 are very good as well but only on the WWF side.

1998 and 1999 are two of the most watched years of television but outside of still good effort from the low card in WCW and some of the Austin main events (and in late 1999 the WWF tag teams) the wrestling sucks and its all based on crash tv Russo isms and the amazing personalities of some of the performers.

Your average low card match on Superstars has more wrestling in it then most PPV matches from 1998 and 1999, at a higher standard too. But that stuff also had better build, hotter crowds, and generally better energy.

One of the secrets I've found by watching all of RAW/PPVs in order from 1993-1997 is that even in the ultra lean years 1993-1995 the story telling had a much better focus than it does today. Stars not fighting stars making PPVs feel special, everyone having one running storyline that might go months without the two opponents squaring off. Year long feuds, six month feuds. Logical builds to new feuds. People coming and going. Bret and Owen start their feud at Survivor Series 1993...but don't have a match until WM X! Their in ring rivalry for the belt ends at Summer Slam 1994...but then Owen sides with Bob Backlund at Survivor Series, throwing in the towel. He then teams with Yokozuna (the one who originally beat Bret for the title) and wins the gold with him on the first night. This continues without a single match until 1997!

Yea that sounds about right. You still had some goofy gimmicks, but they weren't things like Comet Kid or Crush or Atom Bomb. Goldust was just getting going then IIRC and it was definitely trippy as hell for WWE then.
The goofiest thing they had was a damn plumber, a fucking hockey player, and the mini wrestlers(because I had no interest in it.).

I believe now we need more stuff like that because no one on the roster has a personality except Kane, Taker, New Day, Wyatts, and Lucha Dragons.

I think what I dislike the most from the Russo/Attitude era was the damn hardcore title. So man shit matches and dumb stuff like "let's roll around the walk way for 20 minutes hitting each other plastic bowls".

I think what I dislike the most from the Russo/Attitude era was the damn hardcore title. So man shit matches and dumb stuff like "let's roll around the walk way for 20 minutes hitting each other plastic bowls".
The earlier stages with the hc title were good. Around the end of 99 is when it got stupid.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The goofiest thing they had was a damn plumber, a fucking hockey player, and the mini wrestlers(because I had no interest in it.).

I believe now we need more stuff like that because no one on the roster has a personality except Kane, Taker, New Day, Wyatts, and Lucha Dragons.

Meh, all of those were basically Superstars time fillers. They weren't even standard RAW jobbers.

Meh, all of those were basically Superstars time fillers. They weren't even standard RAW jobbers.
But the fact you had good quality guys in a time when they were desperate for talent doing dumb shit like that, you have to wonder wtf. But that's how Patterson and Vince got their laughs in.

The Goon and Duke the Dumpster Drosey 4 lyfe

But seriously watching these shit WCW 2000 ppv are making the current WWE stuff seem good. What a bunch of hokey bs

Man God

Non-Canon Member
But the fact you had good quality guys in a time when they were desperate for talent doing dumb shit like that, you have to wonder wtf. But that's how Patterson and Vince got their laughs in.

Eh, by the time the goon and tl hopper show up the roster is actually pretty thin, seeing how that is 1996 and all. Very midcard heavy but very little else.

EDIT: Haven't posted this in awhile but here is my favorite five sneaky good wrestler with a profession jobbers from the NG era

Flash Funk
Duke the Dumpster Drosse
Sparky Plug/Bob Sparkplug Holly
Henry O Godwin
Doink the Clown

All of these guys are phenomenal wrestlers.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The worst thing about that is you had an amazing guy in Booker T getting his title reign during garbage time.

He's basically their last choice as well, which is sad in a way. I feel it kinda helped him when he came over to the WWF though as despite how devalued he was he still won the big gold belt 5 times. 5 times.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The premiere will probably the be the highest number TNA does on the network. It was for DA after all.

Hex

Banned
Wtf did he do? How'd he get banned that quick? Holy shit

Rbh, the worst thing about the network is the lack of SNH.
I miss that theme song

There are some topics and subjects you just don't give your opinion on.
It is a mine field and it is not worth it.

Didn't heat have alot of the early cruiser weight matches? Esse Rios, Taka, Christian stuff?

I'm not going to spoil tag it because it's not like anyone here will watch it.

Kamaitachi losing his hair is a big bummer because he had a great look. He had a great look with the mask as well so that really hurts for him. That said, if I was in Kamaitachi's position, there's no one I'd want more to feud with than Maximo. As a young, upcoming heel, Maximo is pretty much the perfect partner you could get. He'll get you over, he'll bump for you, and he can work a decent match without burying you and his super charisma will make all of your matches far more valuable than any of your matches prior because the crowd's so invested in him.

That is, unless the rumors are true and he's heading back to NJPW, likely joining Los Ingobernables de Japon.

He's basically their last choice as well, which is sad in a way. I feel it kinda helped him when he came over to the WWF though as despite how devalued he was he still won the big gold belt 5 times. 5 times.
Steiner, Booker and Jarrett. Only two of them deserved it. Then again Scott had become very limited by that time.
There are some topics and subjects you just don't give your opinion on.
It is a mine field and it is not worth it.

Didn't heat have alot of the early cruiser weight matches? Esse Rios, Taka, Christian stuff?
Yeah Heat had some dank ass shit going on. It was well connected with Raw as well. Which is why I hated going through my attitude era run without it on the network.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Steiner, Booker and Jarrett. Only two of them deserved it. Then again Scott had become very limited by that time.

Yeah Heat had some dank ass shit going on. It was well connected with Raw as well. Which is why I hated going through my attitude era run without it on the network.

All three deserved it considering who and what were left. Two are heels, one of which works perfect as the chosen one from the new authority, the other the ultimate bad ass rebel who was going to shut the place down by killing all of the faces.

The real problem by then was the constant flip flopping before then of giving the belt to Nash/Flair/Vacant/Nash/etc.

All three deserved it considering who and what were left. Two are heels, one of which works perfect as the chosen one from the new authority, the other the ultimate bad ass rebel who was going to shut the place down by killing all of the faces.

The real problem by then was the constant flip flopping before then of giving the belt to Nash/Flair/Vacant/Nash/etc.
I still stand by my, Jarrett isn't main event worthy. But it's fitting that he finally wins the big one in a dying company.
He's too forced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom