• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their only other options are to open up the pocketbook and get some old ass people in the ring like Goldberg, Austin.Tyson, HBK, get Kirk Angel and Jeff Hardy in. Probably wouldn't work this close off though.

Angle and the Hardys' deals are up at the end of the month, and they already confirmed they're gone

When's the last time we had a week as newsworthy as this? Last few days have been a fucking whirlwind.

Dave wasn't kidding when he said this would be a huge week

It was funny when he mentioned it at the same time as the Jericho return. Of course the least important stuff happens first

Only way it could get worse is Reigns or Brock getting hurt

Just stay away from backstage or garage!!
I am always cautious. My fiancée be like, let's cuddle at night. I push her off because that counts as a pin fall. I don't play that shit.
Wrong Bella.
Whayttt? I've been calling her the wrong name all along.
So how is Vince going to sell out that stadium for mania with Heath Slater. They better start prepping a time bomb match.
Rock, Brock, Taker, Hogan, and Bryan atr good enough to to sell out.

Teeth

They don't really have much of a choice, do they? What's the alternative? At least AJ/Nak/NXT main eventers have some kind of star power, which is severely lacking on the main roster thanks to all of these injuries.

The alternative? Now, keep in mind, this isn't what I want, it's just what I think they are going to do:

1) Focus on old part timers: Rock, Brock, Undertaker, Jericho, HHH, Vince. Pair each of them up with a standard dude from the roster, possibly pair a couple of them off. From what I've heard, Rock probably won't fight, but I'll bet a ton that they will drop scads of money to get him to. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Rock Undertaker, since they can do that fight super safe and still have big pops. Vince won't fight, but he'll be star power in someone's corner or possibly even HHH's tag team partner or something. Jericho will lay down for Ambrose or something. Brock will toss around Reigns. It could be Brock/Rock but I doubt Rock's insurance would allow that.

2) Bring in outside big faces: not sure who these days, but I don't follow sports.

3) Lots of legends make an appearance. You'll see the Kliq and Steve Autism in bits throughout the show. Daniel Bryan, Cena will promo/be in someone's corner. They'll advertise the hell out of these people being there without actually saying they are in matches. Maybe Angle and the Hardys here too. They might bump like Hall did last year, but they won't be in matches.

4) Toss everyone else on the show in angles that are poorly built to and barely have any payoff. Bring up one or two NXT grapplers to fill it out and satisfy the nerds. The wrestling itself will be decent-to-good. Just like last year.

Basically, stay the course. Like they have always done.

Heroman

Banned
I am always cautious. My fiancée be like, let's cuddle at night. I push her off because that counts as a pin fall. I don't play that shit.

Whayttt? I've been calling her the wrong name all along.

Rock, Brock, Taker, Hogan, and Bryan atr good enough to to sell out.
Rock aint wrestling, and Hogan aint getting near wwe anytime soon, basically all they got is Brock, taker, and maybe Bryan.

The alternative? Now, keep in mind, this isn't what I want, it's just what I think they are going to do:

1) Focus on old part timers: Rock, Brock, Undertaker, Jericho, HHH, Vince. Pair each of them up with a standard dude from the roster, possibly pair a couple of them off. From what I've heard, Rock probably won't fight, but I'll bet a ton that they will drop scads of money to get him to. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Rock Undertaker, since they can do that fight super safe and still have big pops. Vince won't fight, but he'll be star power in someone's corner or possibly even HHH's tag team partner or something. Jericho will lay down for Ambrose or something. Brock will toss around Reigns. It could be Brock/Rock but I doubt Rock's insurance would allow that.

FYI, the reason Rock would not be wrestling is not a money thing at all. It's that the insurance companies for the films he's on simply won't allow it. It's too big a risk for them, especially considering he got hurt in his last match. It's still not confirmed he's not wrestling so it's possible they'll allow it, but if they say no, no amount of money thrown at the situation would fix it.

Ithil

When's the last time we had a week as newsworthy as this? Last few days have been a fucking whirlwind.

2016 in only six days has

Wrestle Kingdom 10 with the end of the Tanahashi era of NJPW
Pillar of NJPW Shinsuke Nakamura giving his notice and heading to WWE
Styles, Anderson and Gallows departing for WWE also, leaving Kenny Omega to take AJ's spot
Cena injured badly, going to be out for 6+ months and miss WM32
Also Jericho is back for the 50th return I guess, not really news

And we aren't even a week into the year.

2016 in only six days has

Wrestle Kingdom 10 with the end of the Tanahashi era of NJPW
Pillar of NJPW Shinsuke Nakamura giving his notice and heading to WWE
Styles, Anderson and Gallows departing for WWE also, leaving Kenny Omega to take AJ's spot
Cena injured badly, going to be out for 6+ months and miss WM32
Also Jericho is back for the 50th return I guess, not really news

And we aren't even a week into the year.
Just wait until SummerSlam, Vince is buying out Punk's contract.

Teeth

FYI, the reason Rock would not be wrestling is not a money thing at all. It's that the insurance companies for the films he's on simply won't allow it. It's too big a risk for them, especially considering he got hurt in his last match. It's still not confirmed he's not wrestling so it's possible they'll allow it, but if they say no, no amount of money thrown at the situation would fix it.

Yeah, I mentioned that at the end. But also: money solves everything in these cases. That's all insurance is, a windfall against losses of the star. With enough payout, the insurance becomes meaningless.

Not that I'm totally convinced he'll actually wrestle.

Yeah, I mentioned that at the end. But also: money solves everything in these cases. That's all insurance is, a windfall against losses of the star. Without enough payout, the insurance becomes meaningless.

Not that I'm totally convinced he'll actually wrestle.

Yeah but in that scenario they'd need to pay not only insurance companies on the projects he is currently actively working on, but also anything he is scheduled to work on at anytime in the future. At some point it just becomes stupidly unrealistic. I think if the insurance companies gave him the okay, he'd absolutely be up for it though.

Anth0ny

Their only other options are to open up the pocketbook and get some old ass people in the ring like Goldberg, Austin.Tyson, HBK, get Kirk Angel and Jeff Hardy in. Probably wouldn't work this close off though.

Austin

Tyson

Michaels

they seem to be having a harder time this year than any other year getting part timers considering they're either doing movies, are old as fuck or injured as fuck. we'll see if they can bring in any big names to work an actual match besides taker, brock and maybe rock. it seems doubtful at the moment.

2) Bring in outside big faces: not sure who these days, but I don't follow sports.

3) Lots of legends make an appearance. You'll see the Kliq and Steve Autism in bits throughout the show. Daniel Bryan, Cena will promo/be in someone's corner. They'll advertise the hell out of these people being there without actually saying they are in matches. Maybe Angle and the Hardys here too. They might bump like Hall did last year, but they won't be in matches.

4) Toss everyone else on the show in angles that are poorly built to and barely have any payoff. Bring up one or two NXT grapplers to fill it out and satisfy the nerds. The wrestling itself will be decent-to-good. Just like last year.

Basically, stay the course. Like they have always done.

you're probably right, it's just depressing. reigns/hhh match, taker/??? match, brock/rock match, and then a bunch of tags/battle royals.

VinceYells_crop_north.png

Get Shawn Michaels and Batista on the phone damnit!!!

Given the way his last run went and how his movie career is going, Batista is laughing all the way to the bank right now. They'd probably have to give him a hell of a deal to get him back.

Teeth

One thing I've wondered:

All of these wrestlers are "independent contractors"...do they get paid while they are injured? Do they get partial payment for lost income? Anything?

From watching the NXT stuff, it seems like they get salaried wages even while injured, but maybe not. I would imagine someone like Cena has clauses built in, but again, maybe not.

I guess why I'm asking is - with all these injured stars, have the WWE balance sheets become flush with cash? Does this open them up for big payouts to part timers or is it a scramble to come up with budget because they are paying on the backend for all these non-working performers?

HHH vs Reigns
Bryan vs Lesnar
Taker vs Rock

That's their best option right now imo.

No way for Bryan Lesnar. If Bryan comes, it'll be Bryan HHH in an ultra safe match.

I have no doubt they are going to feed Lesnar to Reigns again.

In the unlikely event that Bryan is in the card, he's fighting Sheamus.

You think so? Their last fight was brutal. Sheamus was doing those dead drops on Bryan over and over. It looked kinda sloppy and dangerous. Then 2 weeks later, he was gone again. Haven't seen Sheamus do the dead drop since.

Maybe Bryan can come back in the Rumble and get thrown out by Big Show. That would be great. Company just treated this dude like shit last time he came back from injury.

Ithil

And I somehow forgot a pretty notable one

-Wrestle Kingdom 10 with the end of the Tanahashi era of NJPW
-Pillar of NJPW Shinsuke Nakamura giving his notice and heading to WWE
-Styles, Anderson and Gallows departing for WWE also, leaving Kenny Omega to take AJ's spot
-Cena injured badly, going to be out for 6+ months and miss WM32
-Royal Rumble will be for the WWE title and not a WM title shot
-Also Jericho is back for the 50th return I guess, not really news

If Bryan and Rock are out of the picture for big matches, then you're basically forced to go in a different, new direction.

HHH vs Reigns
Lesnar vs Owens
Taker vs Balor
Ambrose vs Styles

Bigger risk, but what other option do they have if Bryan and Rock are no-go's?

Maybe Bryan can come back in the Rumble and get thrown out by Big Show. That would be great. Company just treated this dude like shit last time he came back from injury.
My fucking stomach is in pain. The reaction to that would be grand.
Sting will never wrestle again.
So sad.
VinceYells_crop_north.png

Get Shawn Michaels and Batista on the phone damnit!!!
Shawn doesn't have the passion to do it anymore.

IF Bryan can come back and they feel confident in his health at all, Lesnar is the way to go. You could have Lesnar come out and start killing guys in the Rumble, then he gets hit with some finishers (including a Superman Punch because I mean Roman has to be involved somehow), but Bryan's knee is what sends him over the top. He's pissed, so he comes back in and eliminates Bryan. Instant heat. Instant feud. Also allows you to get Bryan out of the Rumble while also setting up something satisfying for the fans that would likely react negatively to his elimination.

IF Bryan can come back and they feel confident in his health at all, Lesnar is the way to go. You could have Lesnar come out and start killing guys in the Rumble, then he gets hit with some finishers (including a Superman Punch because I mean Roman has to be involved somehow), but Bryan's knee is what sends him over the top. He's pissed, so he comes back in and eliminates Bryan. Instant heat. Instant feud. Also allows you to get Bryan out of the Rumble while also setting up something satisfying for the fans that would likely react negatively to his elimination.

Come on this is WWE. They won't do anything good. Last year was the perfect storm for Lesnar vs Bryan and they told the fans to go fuck themselves.

Come on this is WWE. They won't do anything good. Last year was the perfect storm for Lesnar vs Bryan and they told the fans to go fuck themselves.

Well they are starting to run out of options. Even if they don't see Bryan as "top guy" material, they are aware that he has star power and they desperately need that right now.

Anth0ny

If Bryan and Rock are out of the picture for big matches, then you're basically forced to go in a different, new direction.

HHH vs Reigns
Lesnar vs Owens
Taker vs Balor
Ambrose vs Styles

Bigger risk, but what other option do they have if Bryan and Rock are no-go's?

Lesnar/Owens sounds good to me and would be a great match, only problem is Owens is a prime "mid card battle royale for the IC title" kind of guy. I don't think they see him as a legit opponent for Brock. Though, again, they don't have much of a choice at this point.

The opponent for Taker is a lot tougher. If they can somehow debut Balor, along with the other New Japan newcomers, as a major heel faction, then a matchup against Taker might make sense and him losing to Taker... would be alright. I guess.

in that case, they'll almost certainly try to get the Hardys, right

I thought Jeff was hurt? If he's healthy by now, there's now doubt they'll at least try to get him. They were interested even before they started having guys drop like flies. He's definitely got the star power they need.

I thought Jeff was hurt? If he's healthy by now, there's now doubt they'll at least try to get him. They were interested even before they started having guys drop like flies. He's definitely got the star power they need.

He announced he was cleared to wrestle at today's Impact tapings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom