• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

CM Punk's potential opponent

WfyMAvy.png

1-0 professionally and 2-0 as an amateur

Mickey Gall

Sephzilla

Honestly, most "top guys" historically have pretty limited move sets. Hogan had a very basic moveset (unless he was in Japan), same with Ultimate Warrior, Rock for most of his career, Austin's moveset got fairly limited after his injury, Undertaker has never had a very deep move set, Cena's moveset didn't have much depth to it until he started fighting people like Punk and Owens.

Shit, this makes me pine for late 90s / early 00s WWF main event booking. HHH, Austin, Rock, Angle, B****, Taker, Kane, Foley, Jericho - all completely interchangeable at a moment's notice.

I'm really confused by statements like this (not direct attack on you fyi). People complain that the WWE is bad with story telling and needs to push their main talent. Then there are people who make above statements and get hyped when these older guys come back. I know guys like Taker and Rock can still sell, but should we all be moved on from them by this point? What value does bringing any of these guys back do for the brand other than ratings and ticket sales?

Zayn should be on the main roster, they already had him debut, that's dumb in itself.

Owens should be WWE champion. There's not a person on the roster with a better defined character and better promo ability right now, legit. This is a guy that can carry a program into Mania that people will care about. I'd want to see someone shut him up and take his title from him. I'd pay to see that. I give no shits about Reigns winning his title back over Triple H.

I just watched the Beast of the East event and it made me realize that Kevin Owens is that legit heel they need. The guy who can say and work the crowd well, be a force in the ring and possibly get that Austin esque angle. I feel like they're afraid because he's too plain and not enough character.

I also really dig Balor's demon persona part of his character. I think it's the right amount of gimmick without going into the full blown WWE stylization of gimmicks. I know he might not be able to put seats in the arena right up front, but I definitely think he could carry the WWE if they just let him do his thing.

I know guys like Ambrose, Sheamus, Del Rio and so forth kind of have this feel but they just feel too schlocky and cartoony. Even Ambrose, this guy who is supposed to be CRAZY and WILD now just looks like a guy who is goofing it up with every sell.

rrc1594

Superman punch is fucking horrible I mean fucking horrible. His whole look fucking sucks, stop giving these shitty one liner jokes for promos, make him a more silent type. Change his gear and his music all that shit.

Sephzilla

I'm really confused by statements like this (not direct attack on you fyi). People complain that the WWE is bad with story telling and needs to push their main talent. Then there are people who make above statements and get hyped when these older guys come back. I know guys like Taker and Rock can still sell, but should we all be moved on from them by this point? What value does bringing any of these guys back do for the brand other than ratings and ticket sales?

Right now, entertainment.

The reason we haven't moved on from those guys yet is because basically nobody in the era that succeeded them managed to get even remotely as over as people like Austin or Rock or prime HHH. And when anyone starts to get any kind of real momentum that could vault them to the next level (Punk, Bryan, Sandow, or even Zack Ryder or Ziggler a few years ago) WWE kills all of their momentum.

Superman punch is fucking horrible I mean fucking horrible. His whole look fucking sucks, stop giving these shitty one liner jokes for promos, make him a more silent type. Change his gear and his music all that shit.

I honestly don't mind Roman's look or the Superman Punch (when he's not spamming it). Roman's entire problem lies in the fact that creative doesn't write him consistently and he's getting Cena booking.

miserable

I disagree. He has a limited moveset, but also often surprises by suddenly pulling out a new move.

yea, remember when he pulled out that reverse springboard stunner, how cool it was?

And while he purposely has a lack of selling, he doesn't have a lack of charisma. He's great on the mic and he's extremely quickwitted, as evidenced by any TV interview he's ever done and his ability to quickly reacted to a crowd and turn their reactions in the direction he wants to.

Say what you will about Cena, but he's one charismatic guy.

that's why i said the bolded part. reading is hard

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I just watched the Beast of the East event and it made me realize that Kevin Owens is that legit heel they need. The guy who can say and work the crowd well, be a force in the ring and possibly get that Austin esque angle. I feel like they're afraid because he's too plain and not enough character.

I also really dig Balor's demon persona part of his character. I think it's the right amount of gimmick without going into the full blown WWE stylization of gimmicks. I know he might not be able to put seats in the arena right up front, but I definitely think he could carry the WWE if they just let him do his thing.

I know guys like Ambrose, Sheamus, Del Rio and so forth kind of have this feel but they just feel too schlocky and cartoony. Even Ambrose, this guy who is supposed to be CRAZY and WILD now just looks like a guy who is goofing it up with every sell.

Nobody gets pushed other than Roman

Browny

Banned

I don't want any of the above to come back - it's more the depth of main event talent that existed that I was referring to. A good half dozen or more guys who could be in the main event picture.

Menome

I'd like to think that a completely damp-squib fucked-up Wrestlemania without big draws would be a kick up the backside for WWE to build up a strong entire roster in case this year of injuries happens again in future.

Then I remember this is WWE and my probably well-justified cynicism kicks in.

Right now, entertainment.

The reason we haven't moved on from those guys yet is because basically nobody in the era that succeeded them managed to get even remotely as over as people like Austin or Rock or prime HHH. And when anyone starts to get any kind of real momentum that could vault them to the next level (Punk, Bryan, Sandow, or even Zack Ryder or Ziggler a few years ago) WWE kills all of their momentum.

Is it really entertaining though? It's just on my mind because I recently watched a 2000 WCW PPV and it was just awful to watch some of those older guys wrestle.

Sephzilla

Is it really entertaining though? It's just on my mind because I recently watched a 2000 WCW PPV and it was just awful to watch some of those older guys wrestle.

Match quality would likely take a hit but most of the older guys cut exponentially better promos than most of the current roster. Even Cena, who's usually a solid promo, was completely out matched by Rock most of the time. Austin's totally-not-a-promo to Lesnar during one of those podcasts was one of the most talked about promos of the WWE year.

Xater

Any variation of a punch as a finisher is lame. They should give Roman a suplex or something. Actually he looks like the kind of guy who could use a piledriver, but WWE being idiots won't allow that.

Sephzilla

Any variation of a punch as a finisher is lame. They should give Roman a suplex or something. Actually he looks like the kind of guy who could use a piledriver, but WWE being idiots won't allow that.

Honestly, I think Roman would look good using the Jackhammer

KingBroly

Banned
Considering the Rumble's for the Title, I'd probably want it to be a 40-man Rumble instead of 30.

Reigns is going to have to enter at Number 1 I'd think.

Striker

Why do people care so much about a person's moveset? Just don't make moves look totally outlandish like the apron dropkick and its convoluted setup. Or if so, make it a very rare occurrence, like Shane or RVD doing the Van Terminator. Shawn Michaels had a running forearm, inverted atomic drop, top rope elbow drop, and a scoop slam. But none of that matters.

Cena's always tried to add more to his arsenal, all in while looking goofy as hell doing so. See him trying to apply an abdominal stretch or his fisherman suplex.

This. His moveset didn't get better till like early 2000s with the DDT and Spine buster etc....
He was doing these in 1997.

Kaladin

I like the spear as Roman's finisher better, at least you can perceive that move as a finisher.

If we were going to change it though, give him a sit-out powerbomb variation.

Xater

Honestly, I think Roman would look good using the Jackhammer

I like the spear as Roman's finisher better, at least you can perceive that move as a finisher.

If we were going to change it though, give him a sit-out powerbomb variation.

Also good options.

The spear to me is a fun thing to do quickly, but if you want to setup the big finish I don't like it that much for that.

Mahonay

Banned
I like it when it's a surprise. Looks like a concussion waiting to happen though
The only time it's ever been a surprise to me is the first time he did it. Every time they do the spot now it's a painfully obvious setup. Same reason the 619 made me roll my eyes. Rey was usually much quicker to follow through though. When Roman does the drive-by the guy is just chilling there with his head over the apron for ages.

The only time it's ever been a surprise to me is the first time he did it. Every time they do the spot now it's a painfully obvious setup. Same reason the 619 made me roll my eyes. Rey was usually much quicker to follow through though. When Roman does the drive-by the guy is just chilling there with his head over the apron for ages.

I feel like this is par for the course with the roster.

Cagey

Banned
Why do people care so much about a person's moveset? Just don't make moves look totally outlandish like the apron dropkick and its convoluted setup. Or if so, make it a very rare occurrence, like Shane or RVD doing the Van Terminator. Shawn Michaels had a running forearm, inverted atomic drop, top rope elbow drop, and a scoop slam. But none of that matters.

Cena's always tried to add more to his arsenal, all in while looking goofy as hell doing so. See him trying to apply an abdominal stretch or his fisherman suplex.

He was doing these in 1997.

Moveset is typically shorthand for "I don't like the moves that wrestler does" or "I don't like that wrestler."

Because professional wrestling is scripted entertainment, it's about characters. A limited moveset that works for the character is more effective than an expansive moveset that contradicts what the character is trying to achieve. A huge wrestler doing top-rope moves should happen rarely and occupy one of two extremes, fail miserably or be downright devastating, because it adds the "pulling out all the stops to win" story hook. A smaller wrestler doing power moves (Seth Rollins and his various powerbombs) should happen rarely, not every damn match, and have the same extreme of outcomes, because it's either a rare feat of strength or a guy trying more than he's capable of.

Beyond that, a million moves is nice when it fits the character's style of a technician who beats his opponents that way. No one needs brawlers or brutes or giants or acrobats doing the moss covered, three handled family grudunzle. Let the Cesaros and Big Es toss people around in creative ways. Let the Seth Rollins out-athlete people. Let the Ambroses out-brawl people due to borderline psychopathy. Let someone with a Malenko/Hart/Benoit/Angle "amazing at professional wrestling" gimmick have the wider array of moves.

Striker

Really don't remember it that much, was he using the sharpshooter then too?
A random match in 1997 (vs. Dude Love, coincidentally his first "Rock" showcase), he was doing the DDT, spinebuster, and the People's Elbow, although it was a mockery move at that point. Still in the Nation and has IC gold.

He was sort of like Cena in the early days. Both doing dropkicks, crossbody, Rocky's finisher being a shoulder breaker, more of an amateur style.

jmdajr

Wrestlers are just like fighting game characters. Each needs to be unique, and not everyone needs a billion fucking moves.

It's ok for some to be Paul Phoenix. Keep it simple.

Mahonay

Banned
Wrestlers are just like fighting game characters. Each needs to be unique, and not everyone needs a billion fucking moves.

It's ok for some to be Paul Phoenix. Keep it simple.
It comes down to how you work a match and how it's booked. Vince doesn't believe in wrestling though.

Sephzilla

All of the WM31 champs are out with injury.

Nikki Bella = Out.
Cesaro/Kidd = Both out.
John Cena = Out.
Daniel Bryan = Stretcher.gif
Seth Rollins = Out.

This really has been a terrible year for injuries in the WWE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom