• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I'm ready to shoot"

swPMda1.jpg

"No, I'm ready to shoot"

aYeodbx.jpg

"No I'm ready to shoot"
3dTAcRCl.jpg

It's time for the GFW-WWE storyline you'e been waiting for.

JJ_display_image.png

Foffy

Banned
It would be awesome if he's on the mania card, or even the NXT card mania weekend.

but I get the feeling they're waiting for raw after mania to debut him.

It'd be the best audience, too. The Raw after 'Mania is usually a crowd full of wrestling enthusiasts. Many more of them would probably know about New Japan and Nakamura than the casual fans, which would help get him over.

UberTag

¡HarlequinPanic!;191508810 said:
We really need some sort of pee wee herman word of the day emote to flash the first time 'look strong' shows up in any given day.
I am forever grateful to CM Punk for gracing us with "look strong" as his parting gift from the world of wrestling.

Source: PWInsider

In an update on AJ Styles, IWGP Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura, Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows possibly signing with WWE, PWInsider reports that the two sides have not officially spoken and due to some of their contract status, there is major concern within WWE about what might be considered contract tampering.
However, Nakamura reportedly reached out to WWE about a possible deal a year ago. WWE didn't respond until last year's WrestleKingdom show and Nakamura had already signed a one-year deal with New Japan Pro Wrestling.
As of today, none of the four have signed deals yet and the only two that are legally able to do so right now are Styles and Gallows, but they still have to take and pass WWE's medical & physical exams.
It's believed there has been communication between at least Gallows, Styles and WWE. With the exception of a few tweets and the WWE website story on the rumors, all sides involved are keeping things quiet. It was reportedly Triple H's call to do the website article with the idea that WWE shouldn't let other websites get traffic and attention from a story they can also benefit from.
PWInsider also confirmed the reports that WWE is also in talks with NJPW star Rocky Romero but they couldn't confirm whether or not he's being looked at as a performer or a coach.

From: http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/0107/606438/when-did-shinsuke-nakamura-first-contact-wwe/

In an update on AJ Styles, IWGP Intercontinental Champion Shinsuke Nakamura, Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows possibly signing with WWE, PWInsider reports that the two sides have not officially spoken and due to some of their contract status, there is major concern within WWE about what might be considered contract tampering.
However, Nakamura reportedly reached out to WWE about a possible deal a year ago. WWE didn't respond until last year's WrestleKingdom show and Nakamura had already signed a one-year deal with New Japan Pro Wrestling.
As of today, none of the four have signed deals yet and the only two that are legally able to do so right now are Styles and Gallows, but they still have to take and pass WWE's medical & physical exams.
It's believed there has been communication between at least Gallows, Styles and WWE. With the exception of a few tweets and the WWE website story on the rumors, all sides involved are keeping things quiet. It was reportedly Triple H's call to do the website article with the idea that WWE shouldn't let other websites get traffic and attention from a story they can also benefit from.
PWInsider also confirmed the reports that WWE is also in talks with NJPW star Rocky Romero but they couldn't confirm whether or not he's being looked at as a performer or a coach.

From: http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/0107/606438/when-did-shinsuke-nakamura-first-contact-wwe/
Haha pw insider is such a joke.

Is this some way to serve off everyone?

I like how they're doing the whole statues thing for this ppv. It fits in with the old roman empire build of the rr back in the early 90s.

Also I think we're going to get a Goldberg Ryborg match this year.

thefro

It'd be the best audience, too. The Raw after 'Mania is usually a crowd full of wrestling enthusiasts. Many more of them would probably know about New Japan and Nakamura than the casual fans, which would help get him over.

Nakamura could really use some vignettes or packages before he debuts with folks talking about how he is one of the top wrestlers in the world, top free agent, took Brock Lesnar to the limit, etc.

I think you'd be making a mistake rolling him out there as a "surprise debut" on the main roster. It'd work on NXT, definitely.

Foffy

Banned
Nakamura could really use some vignettes or packages before he debuts with folks talking about how he is one of the top wrestlers in the world, top free agent, took Brock Lesnar to the limit, etc.

I think you'd be making a mistake rolling him out there as a "surprise debut" on the main roster. It'd work on NXT, definitely.

Considering how averse WWE is even at mentioning Lesnar wrestled elsewhere, I can actually imagine Vince getting furious at even the notion of citing the fact Nakamura beat Lesnar in New Japan.

Honestly, losing both Karl & Rocky would be a huge blow for New Japan, as those two have been responsible for recommending and booking a lot of the gaijin talent - without them, I'd expect NJPW to rely more heavily on ROH and the NWA.

That Raw during the Invasion where ECW gets involved for the first time, still so good. I remember being hyped after that.

Then not even an hour later they merged ECW and WCW together and involved Stephanie. Even watching it live I remember thinking "...oh".

Honestly, losing both Karl & Rocky would be a huge blow for New Japan, as those two have been responsible for recommending and booking a lot of the gaijin talent - without them, I'd expect NJPW to rely more heavily on ROH and the NWA.

#BIGMIKE TAKES ON JAX DANE FOR THE NWA CHAMPIONSHIP FOREVER

Mahonay

Banned
I pretty much completely blocked out the WCW invasion angle in my mind. Like even when I go back and watch stuff from that storyline now it doesn't jog my mind.

Fox318

That Raw during the Invasion where ECW gets involved for the first time, still so good. I remember being hyped after that.

Then not even an hour later they merged ECW and WCW together and involved Stephanie. Even watching it live I remember thinking "...oh".

They couldn't see past their own egos.

NWA did the same thing at the 87 starcade.

This is the problem with a family business. Everything is personal to them.

Its how shit like this gets on tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzz2n9xC8ps

Fox318

Bauer must be the bane of WWE. NEarly every leak has stemmed from him.

I mean Meltzer knew about mauro ranallo ahead of time but had to keep it secret as it was the only way to find out.

Sephzilla

I'm surprised nobody has caught onto the fact that the Royal Rumble statues thing is pretty directly ripping off the Age of Ultron end credits

Perception_MOE_Full.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
Bauer must be the bane of WWE. NEarly every leak has stemmed from him.

I mean Meltzer new about mauro ranallo ahead of time but had to keep it secret as it was the only way to find out.

Meltzer actually reported the New Japan stuff on a podcast reporting before the news broke, but the podcast wasn't uploaded until after, if I understood them correctly. Poor guy was robbed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised nobody has caught onto the fact that the Royal Rumble statues thing is pretty directly ripping off the Age of Ultron end credits

Perception_MOE_Full.jpg
It's not a new concept, marbles ripped it off elsewheres

Sephzilla

It's not a new concept, marbles ripped it off elsewheres

You're right. However considering both the Royal Rumble and the Age of Ultron end credits both use the whole "marble statues in a big fight" concept, and Age of Ultron came out only 9 months ago, I think it's really obvious where they got the idea from.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh, is he?

This is what wwe.com said:

I guess he's not due back until just before or just after Mania.
After that happened they determined he has neck damage also.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You're right. However considering both the Royal Rumble and the Age of Ultron end credits both use the whole "marble statues in a big fight" concept, and Age of Ultron came out only 9 months ago, I think it's really obvious where they got the idea from.
You're really gonna stand here

and talk to me

and say you think Vince has seen a single Marvel movie?

I dunno... It's such a reach. Unless an intern suggested it and Vince didn't know.

Sephzilla

You're really gonna stand here

and talk to me

and say you think Vince has seen a single Marvel movie?

I dunno... It's such a reach. Unless an intern suggested it and Vince didn't know.

I'm pretty sure it went down something like this. Random marketing person saw Avengers Age of Ultron (because it was a fairly hyped release), said person saw the end credits, said person either proposed the idea to their department, who then went with the idea.

I highly doubt Vince had any real say in the idea, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom