• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahonay

Banned
Hearing Ranallo actually put Ambrose over on Smackdown is really refreshing.

WWE tries to present Ambrose as an upper-tier star, but then Maggle and JBL just spend every match describing him as some zany cartoon character that's kind of an idiot.

Only after HHH told him it was a good idea to low ball him/let his contract expire, saying he would fail in hollywood and come back for less money.

Couldn't be happier for how it worked out for The Rock.

The Gaaaammeuuuh, has incredible business sense-uuhh.

Fucking Triple H, trying to risk the biggest star in the company (and therefore the overall business of the company) just because he wants his spot.

Mahonay

Banned
And then their badass Summerslam entrance in Wembley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01lce1lh27o

fucking RIGHTEOUS
That's one of my earlier wrestling memories before I started watching wrestling regularly. They seemed like the most bad ass mother fuckers on the planet. By the time I got into watching on a weekly basis I was stuck with Legion of Doom AKA the ghost of The Road Warriors. Suffice to say I felt let down.

Been awesome going back and watching their AWA/NWA stuff. So good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's one of my earlier wrestling memories before I started watching wrestling regularly. They seemed like the most bad ass mother fuckers on the planet. By the time I got into watching regularly I was stuck with Legion of Doom AKA the ghost of The Road Warriors. Suffice to say I felt let down.

Been awesome going back and watching their AWA/NWA stuff. So good.

Rocko? Was the worst thing. Total mystique killer.

When I was a kid I will always remember the Road Warriors poking out Dusty's eye. That stuck with me forever.

We should probably show some old-school Road Warriors appreciation, or maybe even some newer (as in 90s) appreciation. So, here's two videos.

First is this dope-ass power lifting competition they did. So fucking swole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhP5Ak69aeM

And then their badass Summerslam entrance in Wembley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01lce1lh27o

fucking RIGHTEOUS

Was Ellering and Rocko part of the equation by Wembley? I can't remember and i'm not in a position to click on the links atm.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Was Ellering and Rocko part of the equation by Wembley? I can't remember and i'm not in a position to click on the links atm.

Sadly yes. Still, that crowd and them gold shoulder pads are so righteous.

The Gaaaammeuuuh, has incredible business sense-uuhh.

Fucking Triple H, trying to risk the biggest star in the company (and therefore the overall business of the company) just because he wants his spot.
No matter how many times he was in the spot, it didn't help those numbers at all.

Hilarious moment when Patterson was conducting numbers and he showed Vince that ever time Hunter was champ, the viewership dropped.

That lead to Pat walking out because he hated the direction things were going with Hunter always on top. And it's crazy to think, out of an hour show he took up on average 30 minutes a week or so.

No matter how many times he was in the spot, it didn't help those numbers at all.

Hilarious moment when Patterson was conducting numbers and he showed Vince that ever time Hunter was champ, the viewership dropped.

That lead to Pat walking out because he hated the direction things were going with Hunter always on top. And it's crazy to think, out of an hour show he took up on average 30 minutes a week or so.

Doesn't he take up more time now? And he only wrestles twice a year tops.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Money. He had a 8 month pregnant lady at home and he was just trying to protect himself. So he went with the money and less days on the road.

Half the days. Three times as much money, guaranteed (and since he was champ during the coldest period of the company its not like his merch+gate+ppv bonuses were that huge) and the ability to be paid more based on who else they brought in at the top of the card. You'd be an idiot not to take that deal.

Scottify

Do you think Ranallo will stay on Smackdown to try and give that show a different feel or will he eventually replace Cole on Raw? For me, I'd most likely watch whichever show he's doing announcing on.

Mahonay

Banned
Rocko? Was the worst thing. Total mystique killer.

When I was a kid I will always remember the Road Warriors poking out Dusty's eye. That stuck with me forever.
I don't really remember Rocco much from my time watching. By the time I got into it Ellering showed up as a throwback.

Then there was LOD 2000 with Sunny....

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sunny is super hot in that LOD getup though.

Rocko is also introduced around the period where Vince was souring on the LOD, plus drug testing was about to start and well...The LOD isn't going to survive any aspect of legitimate drug testing.

Mahonay

Banned
Do you think Ranallo will stay on Smackdown to try and give that show a different feel or will he eventually replace Cole on Raw? For me, I'd most likely watch whichever show he's doing announcing on.
Ranallo replacing someone on RAW would be the best thing to happen in a long time. Honestly at this point I'd rather him take JBL's spot. JBL actively ruins matches now.

Sadly, I don't see it happening any time soon.

My 12 year old self fucking LOVED Sunny in LOD 2000. The only part of that I enjoyed.

Half the days. Three times as much money, guaranteed (and since he was champ during the coldest period of the company its not like his merch+gate+ppv bonuses were that huge) and the ability to be paid more based on who else they brought in at the top of the card. You'd be an idiot not to take that deal.

My favorite part was when WCW was so worried about Nash and Hall jumping back to WWF because Ross announced the return of Diesel and Razor (the fake ones) that they were paid an extra 400,000 or so.

Doesn't he take up more time now? And he only wrestles twice a year tops.
Dude at the beginning of Seth's run through the middle, Raw featured almost 4 segments a night with Seth and then Authority. The opening which is usually 15-20. Then those segments would be about 3 minutes a pop. Then after Seth's match or between The authority is right back out there. Give me a break. We know what you look like. The anonymous gm is more welcomed than those two morons imo.

Damn right. Hall brought up a great point,

"I'm making all of this fucking money but I never have time to spend it. I'm always on the road. "

You started to feel sorry for him.
Ellering was a great manager. Almost as menacing as the Warriors themselves.
He could've easily been mistaken for Judas Priest's lead singer which made him even cooler.

Rocko is also introduced around the period where Vince was souring on the LOD, plus drug testing was about to start and well...The LOD isn't going to survive any aspect of legitimate drug testing.
Sonny wore it like a charm.

Ellering got the most badass bike of them all in that LOD entrance. Hawk and Animal are coming in some cruisers and Ellering's actually got legit ape hangers on his.

My favorite part was when WCW was so worried about Nash and Hall jumping back to WWF because Ross announced the return of Diesel and Razor (the fake ones) that they were paid an extra 400,000 or so.
Eric even held them in a room while Raw was on top make sure they definitely weren't leaving lol. What went on behind the wars were almost as entertaining as the product.

Mahonay

Banned
I'm gonna be honest, the road warriors always looked fucking lame.

BMCP9xl.gif

Get out.

Kaladin

One thing that always kind of bugged me about both The Road Warriors and Vader, and anyone else that did it, why would you wear your heavy armor to the battlefield, and then take it off when you go to battle?

One thing that always kind of bugged me about both The Road Warriors and Vader, and anyone else that did it, why would you wear your heavy armor to the battlefield, and then take it off when you go to battle?
It would weigh them down.

Notice how Piccolo takes off his armour when he knows it's time for a big battle.

As a kid, I was always wondering why don't the lod just stab them with their spikes and win.

Zach

Hawk got worked into a shoot by Meltzer. Was angry that he said Eddie and Art Barr were a better tag team.

Ended up punching Eddie

What the fuuuuuh.

And everyone's a better tag team than the Road Warriors. I mean, they were still awesome for a time in their own way, but they kind of sucked, too. I still like them like I do, say, Sid.

DMczaf

c'mon. Remember when I got banned? Remember that time when I did that thing to that turkey? Remember all my classic catchphrases? "TIME FOR A CHECKUP!" Haha, CLASSIC Me.

You could have been great, but your addiction to getting banned held you back.

In 5 years people will say "Frecklestein had all the tools, he just had too many inner demons battling inside"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom