• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

G-Fex

Guys, if you're ever going to an indie show and can't find streamers to throw at the wrestlers, please....for the love of god....don't buy yarn.

ya8Exzn.jpg

This just about sums up indie wrestling in one photo. All we need now are two guys super kicking each other at the same time.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
One of the things I remember from the older Evolve shows was that they didn't even play the wrestlers themes. They'd all come out to some generic electonica stuff. Funniest thing was seeing El Generico come out to that and people chanting "OLE OLE OLE OLEEEEEE"

Kaladin

Things indie wrestling needs to stop doing in 2014:

Wrestler gets in the ring at the 9 (or 19) count to narrowly avoid a countout loss after a power move that would kill someone in WWE.

XenoRaven

The Young Bucks aren't indie anymore. They're big time! They've been taken under the wing of the rrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaal rock n rolla, Prince Devitt.

strobogo

Banned
About 50-75 of those thin bamboo skewers that use at Sushi/Yakitori restaurants.

Because he's Masada.

Do you try to "get" a tornado, or an earthquake, or the pyroclastic flow of a volcano sweeping over a defenseless village at hundreds of miles an hour?

I understand tornadoes intimately. My grandfather was a tornado.

Kaladin

Bootaaay, when you gif this show, I need a gif of Lancelot Bravado sliding down the railing of the staircase into a Nick Jackson (I think) superkick.

Kaladin

They were supposed to have singles matches between The Bravado Brothers vs The Young Bucks, but the first one turned into an unsanctioned brawl between the two teams that has been awesome so far.

Kaladin

Hot damn, these two teams have been brawling all over this building for about 20 minutes, freaking awesome.

I wish I had gone to this show now.

Kaladin

Some concern for The Bravado Brothers. Gabe Sapolsky was out with the crew checking on them after the brawl ended. You could hear Gabe tell someone to go to intermission before they went into intermission. Hope they're ok....Harlem Bravado took a brutal spike tombstone piledriver on the outside on top of some chairs.

I understand tornadoes intimately. My grandfather was a tornado.

Man, it must've been kinda rough to be a tornado back in those days. Because you couldn't just be a tornado...oh no...you had to be labeled. It was always "oh shit, look at White Tornado over there," or "you better watch out for Black Tornado..."

Then again, if you ever got sick of the labels and insensitivity, I suppose you could fling the person talking crap 1,000 yrds away along with his home and cattle.

Still, it's much easier to be a post-racial tornado, I'm sure. My great uncle wanted to be a tsunami, but got turned down because he had polio as a child.

strobogo

Banned
Man, it must've been kinda rough to be a tornado back in those days. Because you couldn't just be a tornado...oh no...you had to be labeled. It was always "oh shit, look at White Tornado over there," or "you better watch out for Black Tornado..."

Then again, if you ever got sick of the labels and insensitivity, I suppose you could fling the person talking crap 1,000 yrds away along with his home and cattle.

Still, it's much easier to be a post-racial tornado, I'm sure. My great uncle wanted to be a tsunami, but got turned down because he had polio as a child.

Yeah. He had it pretty rough. Not too many people are willing to be nice to a tornado.

I CAN SLAP A TORNADO

My grandpa would slap the shit out of you, pretty boy.

Kaladin

I like that Lenny Leonard has taken to using Zandig's "Jeeesus" as a substitute for "Oh My God" at amazing moments in matches.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

Best of Memphis in the 80s Part 16

Jeff Jarrett/Tracy Smothers/Billy Travis vs. Badd Company/King Carl Fergie (8/29/87)

Before the match, there were a series of promos from a large group of heels, each who have a gimmick match or will be bringing various weapons into War Games. The faces came out to Peter Gabriel, which is pretty boss. King Carl and Double J start the match. The Rookie J hips tosses the heels all around the ring. Travis comes in and takes things to the mat. In comes Tanaka. The heels get Smothers back into their corner and go to town on him. The heels win the first fall with outside interference from the manager. Diamond and Smothers start the second fall. Tanaka and Travis are in momentarily before Double J is back in. Sunset flip. Big punch. Smothers does a monkey flip, head scissors, and dropkick to send the King to the floor. The faces won in a non-remarkable match.

Jerry Lawler vs. Eddie Gilbert No DQ (3/28/88)

Short pre match promos featured King with a beard. King was hit with a nasty fireball and promises to get his revenge on Eddie. He also hopes Missy Hyatt gets involved so he can punch her lights out.

King teases a fireball right from the start. Eddie bails out. Eddie gets punches and grabs a mic to tell the ref to check Lawler. He almost gets counted out. More punches back in the ring. Eddie bails again when King teases the fire. Eddie gets a rope and chokes King with it. After being unable to get the pin, he wraps the rope around King's neck and ties it to the corner. BAH GAWD HE'S GONNA KILL HIM! Eddie throws punches, but breaks the rope. King fires up and the strap is down. Right hands everywhere. Piledriver. Diving fist drop. King misses! Missy tries to use her shoe. King's second stops her. Eddie gets hit with the fireball. Doug Gilbert comes out to check on his brother. King wins via count out.

iblmoKEgeImHDc.gif

Eddie Marlin vs. Tommy Gilbert Cowboy Boot Match (4/4/88)

I can't imagine this will be any good since both had been retired for years. Tommy is Eddie's father. Eddie is the father in law of Jerry Jarrett and was the on screen authority figure for the CWA for all of the 80s. I think the rules are both men are wearing cowboy boots and can use them as weapons. I think you need to take both boots from your opponent and use them to win. These guys were tag partners very long ago. Marlin gets a hold of the first boot and uses it. This is terrible. Two old fat guys half naked slowly hitting each other and bleeding. It's like the Hogan/Flair Austrailia tour. Except they are fighting over shoes. Eddie Marlin wins. Gilbert attacked after the match. Double J made the save for his grandpappy.

Jerry Lawler vs. Curt Hennig Title vs. Retirement (5/9/88)

Hennig would redebut to the WWF a few months later. A lot of introductions, from ring announcers to photographers. Over 10 minutes worth. Looks like Jackie Fargo is the special ref. King wins the opening exchange. Home town crowd is solidly behind him. Two big punches in the corner. Curt flips him around and starts throwing punches. King doesn't stand for this and knocks Curt out of the ring. Perfect goes on the offense. King throws punches. Curt's manager trips King. It looks like Fargo fell on him, too. Fargo pulls the manager in the ring and beat him up before sending him to the back. Fargo seems a little biased to me. Curt had a headlock and used the hair once, so Fargo kept making him break the hold and trying to 5 count him for it. However, King does the same thing and King gets the same treatment. Curt outwrestles King. King finally gets out of a hold with a back suplex. He misses a guillotine leg drop. Perfect locks on a Boston crab. Rope break. Curt then applies a camel clutch. They roll to the floor and King is sent into the ring post. As he tries to get back into the ring, Curt knocks him off the apron and into the railing. I'll assume King is busted open as Curt keeps punching him in the head. King starts fighting back and gets kicked off the apron. Snake eyes on the guard rail. King is finally back in the ring and Hennig tries to punch his head off. Fargo wouldn't count a pin because of a close fist. King is sent into Fargo. Perfect uses the opportunity to hit a piledriver. King kicks out. Curt goes up top and gets caught. King starts throwing punches. They both connect and both go down. Fargo again won't make a pin because Hennig pulled hair. Float over suplex gets a 2 count. Looked a little slow to me. Fargo breaks a sleeper due to a hair pull. Even the face announcer says he didn't see anything. Lance says he did, but the other announcer didn't see such a thing and thought it was a questionable call. King drives Hennig into the corner to break it. Hennig is trying to get the match called on a blood stoppage. King throws one big punch and does a slingshot. He's slow to make the cover, but he gets the win. King finally wins the big one. After 14 years of AWA and NWA Champions coming to town, King finally wins the AWA Championship and the fans go bananas. Faces hit the ring to celebrate with him. Lance gets a word with King in the locker room after the show.

ibvp7TmJNzGSSY.gif

ivGcZWBxEx8MM.gif

iwf3YAgE0w8sT.gif

Before the match happened, a retirement party was scheduled for afterwards. But since King won, he got to come to the party as the champ and not retire.

BONUS: Don Bass Sings!

The first week, Don Bass returned after a long absence and told Lance he was a singer. Lance didn't believe him and refused to sing on the spot. Instead, the next week he sent in a tape of him lip synching from his couch. And playing a guitar like he's clearly never touched one in his life. Bass then showed up in the studio and Lance confronted him. Bass again refuses to sing in the studio as he has a concert tonight and needs to protect his voice.

iSZ4c7zASReLD.gif

He sent another tape the next week. This is so ridiculous. Studio versions of actual well known country songs play as he strums his guitar while barely even touching the neck and lip synching, claiming it is all him. Lance cuts it off again and confronts Bass one more time. Lance is hilarious.

ite6kJnQwPLEI.gif

Another week, another video. Lance cuts it 30 seconds in saying it was TERRIBLE and confronts Bass again.

BONUS: Don Bass vs. Jerry Lawler Feud

Nothing of note as Bass looks to be a terrible wrestler.

BONUS: Evansville Dressing Room Brawl

Exactly what it sounds like.

ibkeaVrLbZPUck.gif

Pretty boring disc, especially compared to the last one. Memphis is starting to hit some HARD TIMES. Their best talent went to the WWF or NWA/WCW. By the end of 1988, the renewed relationship with the AWA was on the rocks and would end in 1989. The AWA itself was on its last legs. CWA continued their relationship with WCCW and the companies would eventually combined to form the USWA, which would end up being exclusively in Memphis pretty shortly after. The next disc is the last to be mostly matches, as both the decade and CWA as an individual company came to an end.

Coming up: Kerry Von Erich, Robert Fuller and Jimmy Golden (Bunkhouse Buck), a very young Scott Steiner, a very young Undertaker, an Orchestra match, and Freddy Krueger.

Cagey

Banned
Things indie wrestling needs to stop doing in 2014:

Wrestler gets in the ring at the 9 (or 19) count to narrowly avoid a countout loss after a power move that would kill someone in WWE.

How about every indie wrestler stops being Cartman and giving themselves the power to have all powers? Oh, look, you use the Rock Bottom, the Cutter/RKO, the Angle Slam, a sit out Powerbomb, and a Sharpshooter in one match? And the opponent is still doing fine?

Top Bottom