• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

"Why wait leave now Bret!"

Day/Month/Year makes so much more sense because it's in order of size. Also, I say "13th of January" because I speak English properly.

Don't argue with them Herr Bootaaay, they'll just starting shouting louder to the point they start sounding like chainsaws until everyone becomes bored.

bjork

Sorry, but every aspect of DX sucked outside of a couple NAO matches. Coked out Shawn was a huge turd that I would take corny Cena or god booking Hogan over because, man, if you thought Cena buried people? Drugged out Shawn was on another level. And all the DX promos were so fucking terrible. It was never offensive. It was like stuff your hillbilly cousin would do, and you'd just roll your eyes and wait for Stone Cold to come out. Even CANADIAN HERO MODE tweener Bret had more 'attitude' than those shmucks.

Fuck DX. Absolute worst part of Attitude Era. Ghetto, shitty NWO.

HBK/HHH European Title match was better than anything the nWo did ever, with the possibly exceptions of Nash tossing Rey like a dart and Scott Hall whipping Macho with a slim jim.

I agree with "Fuck DX", after WM14. The stuff that was actually considered edgy, they never go back to in flashbacks. Just HHH in that dumbass jeep.

Sorry, but every aspect of DX sucked outside of a couple NAO matches. Coked out Shawn was a huge turd that I would take corny Cena or god booking Hogan over because, man, if you thought Cena buried people? Drugged out Shawn was on another level. And all the DX promos were so fucking terrible. It was never offensive. It was like stuff your hillbilly cousin would do, and you'd just roll your eyes and wait for Stone Cold to come out. Even CANADIAN HERO MODE tweener Bret had more 'attitude' than those shmucks.

Old DX with Chyna and Rude is best DX. Fuck dat watered down 2007 DX

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Nash was probably the only guy who called Shawn out on shit, so once he was in WCW, Shawn just flew completely off the deep end. Triple H was too busy sucking up to him to stop him.

Best day of that era was when Stone Cold won the title from him, and HBK threw a fit. And all I could do was laugh because, even prior to seeing the footage, I knew HBK was butthurt. And he was legit shook levels of butthurt.

strobogo

Banned

I tend to agree with you. Shawn's rambling promos were the worst. Every bit as bad as Hogan's rambling promos during the same time frame. Both guys already have voices that you can't listen to for more than a few minutes, but then they'd go on and on and on until they were hoarse (like hanging out with Lillian), then they'd keep going. None of that stuff holds up very well. Austin, Bret, and Vince hold up. DX and pretty much anything after the first 6 months of the NWO doesn't.

Aiii

So not worth it
"Why wait leave now Bret!"

Don't argue with them Herr Bootaaay, they'll just starting shouting louder to the point they start sounding like chainsaws until everyone becomes bored.

NOTHING IN YOUR COUNTRY MADE SENSE.

My car had weird low numbers and all the speed limits were low too. Your drinks come in Oz's instead of L's. I have yet to know exactly how long a foot is and every time wrestlers heights are mentioned I have no clue what their actual height is. You're temperature system has weird high numbers that make every temperature seem super hot. Your weights are super high too compared to regular kg's. Your dates are the wrong way around, making everything super confusing and you even manage to have every time of the day twice! It's either 6:00 or 18:00, not 6 AM or 6 PM. There's 24 hours in a day, not 12 hours twice.

US, you suck at all of this!

bjork

"SID IS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF LUGAGGE IN THIS COMPANY"

God damn it, I forgot about this. Hahahaha. I gotta go watch that match now.

From a review on some site I've never seen before today:

Former WWF Champion Shawn Michaels joins the broadcast booth for no reason other than to be a dickhead. Shawn calls Sid the biggest piece of luggage in the WWF, then takes a cheap shot at the Hitman, and this is just during ring introductions.

^ see, I loved stuff like this. JR even got one in on Vince with Vince sitting right next to him. So great.

I'm not saying NWO was any good or anything. Just that it was a way more effective marketing tool than DX was.

That late 97 stuff set the stage for all the Attitude stuff that won the war in the end, though. Not just DX, but Austin's rise as well. More of a team effort.

My car had weird low numbers and all the speed limits were low too. Your drinks come in Oz's instead of L's. I have yet to know exactly how long a foot is and every time wrestlers heights are mentioned I have no clue what their actual height is. You're temperature system has weird high numbers that make every temperature seem super hot. Your weights are super high too compared to regular kg's. Your dates are the wrong way around, making everything super confusing and you even manage to have every time of the day twice! It's either 6:00 or 18:00, not 6 AM or 6 PM. There's 24 hours in a day, not 12 hours twice.

AIII IS SHOOTIN

HE'S WRONG ON ALL ACCOUNTS, BUT HE'S SHOOTIN

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
HBK was so terrible on commentary. Even with The Brain, Bobby just couldn't work with him at all. And Bobby can work with everyone.

Not like Owen who was perfect at commentary.
tumblr_mxrxseWYdg1r89qoso1_250.gif
tumblr_mxrxseWYdg1r89qoso2_250.gif

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Unfortunately, I have a ticket to Smackdown next week. The website said that
Punk will be in a 3/1 match against the Shield...again ;(
If I don't see big Dave, I will jump the barricade with my pink polo and sunglasses and pretend that I am big Dave.

bjork

HBK was so terrible on commentary. Even with The Brain, Bobby just couldn't work with him at all. And Bobby can work with everyone.

Not like Owen who was perfect at commentary.
tumblr_mxrxseWYdg1r89qoso1_250.gif
tumblr_mxrxseWYdg1r89qoso2_250.gif

Bold I can agree with. I'll make an admission here that you guys can dig up in years and throw at me or whatever, and I'll agree with it because it's true: wrestling died for me the day Owen died. It has never been the same and won't be ever.

I can't think of many wrestlers that do the in-ring ad-libs with the crowd while they're wrestling like Owen Hart used to. It was great, it needs to come back.

Quick, slightly random, question WrassleGAF: best wrestling game featuring Ric Flair as a playable character that I will likely be able to emulate on a 2007 MacBook?

WCW/NWO Revenge (N64)

or
WWF Royal Rumble (SNES) see below!

David Otunga's show should be like a Judge Judy sort of thing.

They should also do 'The APA Presents; WWE Superstar Celebrity Poker' - JBL and Ron Simmons to host, with random superstars and celebrities joining in each episode.

Trish plus APA poker twice in a lifetime im there

strobogo

Banned

A foot is 12 inches. 12 inches = 30(.48, but don't worry about it) centimeters. Someone billed at 6 feet tall would be 182.88 centimeters.

WHAT IF CM Punk actually stands for CentiMeter? His next heel turn should totally be based on how knowing the metric system makes him better than you.

bjork

I can't think of many wrestlers that do the in-ring ad-libs with the crowd while they're wrestling like Owen Hart used to. It was great, it needs to come back.

WCW/NWO Revenge (N64)

or
WWF Royal Rumble (SNES) see below!

He's not on the roster by default, in Revenge.

Thanks for the responses all. I'll check out Royal Rumble

In all seriousness, what's the latest gen you can emulate on an 07 MacBook? N64? PS1?

Haven't done much emulation recently, but when I did, three or so years back, PS1 worked okay, from memory. It would probably struggle with N64, but I will give it a go as I'd love to play WCW/NWO Revenge.

Edit - or not, as Flair's not in it. World Tour, then

Carnby

Technically, everything you complained about wasn't in the Attitude Era.

DMczaf

I want to live in the universe where Owen lived, retired gracefully years later and became the greatest color commentator of all time.

Nash was probably the only guy who called Shawn out on shit, so once he was in WCW, Shawn just flew completely off the deep end. Triple H was too busy sucking up to him to stop him.

Best day of that era was when Stone Cold won the title from him, and HBK threw a fit. And all I could do was laugh because, even prior to seeing the footage, I knew HBK was butthurt. And he was legit shook levels of butthurt.

Didn't Undertaker threaten to beat his ass if he tried anything funny in the match?

jmdajr

Had not realized this. I can actually listen to the Wrestlemnia commentary on my phone through WWE NETWORK while at the live event.

strobogo

Banned
Yes, it is. While people continue to debate it, attitude era was WM 13- WM 17. 1997 was the best year WWE ever had.

I'm not sure I agree on 1997 being the best year, but I agree that the Attitude Era started at WM 13 at the latest. I would argue it started sometime in the Summer-Fall of 1996 and didn't really end until the Brand Split. But even then, the first few years of the brand split did a lot of stuff more outrageous and offensive in 2002-2005 than 1999.

bjork

Man, I have vivid memories of playing as Ric Flair. I'm going insane.

He was in World Tour for sure, and that was like one year earlier, I think? So possible mental overlap, plus that editor was pretty robust for the era. Maybe you made one of the other dudes into Flair?

I'm not sure I agree on 1997 being the best year, but I agree that the Attitude Era started at WM 13 at the latest. I would argue it started sometime in the Summer-Fall of 1996 and didn't really end until the Brand Split. But even then, the first few years of the brand split did a lot of stuff more outrageous and offensive in 2002-2005 than 1999.

I feel like the possible earliest you could say it started was the night after Montreal. They were still trying to tow the line up to that point, and then a couple weeks later, Vince cut that one promo about changing their focus up, which basically introduced Attitude era. The seeds were there earlier, Austin at KOTR 96 probably being the absolute earliest. But Vince is the boss, so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HznErMk97B4

SoulPlaya

more money than God
The attitude era wasn't really about being offensive, which is unfortunately how it's been presented. It was about the monday night wars, the wrestlers showcased, and the quality. WM 17 was the marking point of the end of the Monday night wars, Austin went heel, and Rock left for hollywood.

jmdajr

The attitude era wasn't really about being offensive, which is unfortunately how it's been presented. It was about the monday night wars, the wrestlers showcased, and the quality. WM 17 was the marking point of the end of the Monday night wars, Austin went heel, and Rock left for hollywood.

Pretty interesting on Austin interview by Chris Jericho. Turning HEEL was 100% Stone Cold's idea.

He regrets it.

Still, would have never had Kumbay without it.

lol

Top Bottom