• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

strobogo

Banned
Melter said Austin never drew as much after he went heel. Things looking up for
d-bry!

Neither did anyone else since the whole industry dropped off after WM17. And despite how much the Invasion PPV drew, the over all disappointment of the angle was a main focus during Austin's heel run and he'd only have about a year left as a competitor anyway. So saying "he never drew as much once he turned heel" doesn't mean a whole lot when you consider everything going on after he turned heel that were beyond his control.

So WrassleGAF..

Thanks to Qatar Airways coming to Philly, they're doing huge introductory rates on flights.

So Singapore or Japan.

HELPMEPICKGO

Carnby

Yes, it is. While people continue to debate it, attitude era was WM 13- WM 17. 1997 was the best year WWE ever had.

I respectfully disagree. The Attitude Era either started on December 15th 1997 or at Wrestlemania 14. Definitely not at WM 13.

Edit: I did some research. The WWF Attitude logo was used November 1997 to May 2002.

somedevil

Guess who is joining TNA:

TNA officials have been in talks with
"The American Wolves" Eddie Edwards and Davey Richards for several weeks now, likely since the duo got word that WWE wouldn't be signing them

It's expected they will be debuting for TNA soon as they have canceled some upcoming independent wrestling dates. It's possible they could appear on Thursday's live Impact Wrestling from Huntsville, Alabama.

Anth0ny

Speaking of DX, I expect this promo to be uncensored on the Network.

How did that clip even get out? I remember downloading it on Kazaa in 2000.

Yes, it is. While people continue to debate it, attitude era was WM 13- WM 17. 1997 was the best year WWE ever had.

Lots of possible launch points:

1. Austin 3:16 promo at KOTR 1996 ("Birth" of the Stone Cold Steve Austin character)
2. Wrestlemania 13 (Greatest match of all time, double turn, Austin is now over as fuck and the fan favorite)
3. Montreal Screwjob (Mr. McMahon character is born, Bret is gone, opening the main event spot for Austin)
4. Vince speech on Raw December 1997
5. Wrestlamania 14 (Austin wins the title, is now officially "the guy", Austin vs. McMahon feud begins on Raw shortly after)

Hard to say, but I think the KOTR 1996 is too early (Raw overall was still cartoonish in 1996). If I had to choose a single point, I'd probably say Screwjob, or a couple of months earlier. The change of direction Vince talked about in that video above was clearly in place during Summer 1997 with Austin's character, DX, Bret loses his shit/Canada vs. USA angle, etc.

It definitely ended with Mania 17 and the... Invasion.

Melter said Austin never drew as much after he went heel. Things looking up for
d-bry!

People clearly didn't want to see him as a heel back in 2001, just like Bryan today. At least, from what I understand, it was Austin who wanted to turn heel because he felt his character was getting stale. I find it hard to believe Bryan is vying for a spot with the fucking mid-card wyatt family.

Kaladin

Figured something like that would happen after Davey never showed up in Evolve again this weekend. TNA is their last option at this point,and it may do them some good. Get some experience at that level and jump to the E if they become interested again.

You could also go to a real arcade and play real arcade games.

There's that too. And basically stealing Giant Bomb's THE RAID idea of just rolling down Shibuya and buying everything

Singapore though, I can get to a bunch of other places for very cheap there. And tons to see.

I'll likely make an OT thread later because reasons

Heel

Jim Ross is rumored to be signing with Fox Sports . Would be a welcome addition to UFC broadcast.

Him and chael commentary would be awesome

I love this. They should let him float around as he pleases. FOX Sports Live guest, UFC Tonight, college sports commentary. The possibilities are endless.

Jim Ross + Brian Stann should be the UFC's B team. Perfect combo.

bjork

So WrassleGAF..

Thanks to Qatar Airways coming to Philly, they're doing huge introductory rates on flights.

So Singapore or Japan.

HELPMEPICKGO

Hm. Tom Waits did a song called Singapore, and he did one called Big in Japan.

But Shonen Knife did a song called Ah Singapore, and they're FROM Japan.

coin toss, heads is singapore, tails is japan

DMczaf

This might be a fun gif for future edits

iOvyApfUOW3ay.gif

Hm. Tom Waits did a song called Singapore, and he did one called Big in Japan.

But Shonen Knife did a song called Ah Singapore, and they're FROM Japan.

coin toss, heads is singapore, tails is japan

BUT I HATE TOM WAITS!

Solution. I'm going to... *rolls dice*

... YEMEN?!

Kaladin

BUT I HATE TOM WAITS!

Solution. I'm going to... *rolls dice*

... YEMEN?!

Bronson Lee....I have a question that you might know the answer to. What is the artist - name for Chuck Taylor's current Kentucky Gentlemen theme song. I haven't been able to find that anywhere. All I see listed are his older stuff.

NOTHING IN YOUR COUNTRY MADE SENSE.

My car had weird low numbers and all the speed limits were low too.
Pretty much every speedometer has Kilometer markings, usually inside MPH and in a lighter color. Unless it's digital, then there should be a button to switch.

Thank you for not bashing our shitty road conditions.

Your drinks come in Oz's instead of L's.
We have 2 liter bottles of soda.

I have yet to know exactly how long a foot is and every time wrestlers heights are mentioned I have no clue what their actual height is.
A foot is the size of a ruler, consult your metric ruler, flip it to inches and look for the 12 inch mark. It's also the size of a footlong Subway sandwich.

6 feet is average height for a man. anything below that is short, above is tall.

You're temperature system has weird high numbers that make every temperature seem super hot.
Your country is the size of Stone Cold Steve Austin's ranch. You have the same temperature everywhere, so I can see how using a scale in which only about 20 degrees is actually used can be convenient.

We have many different climate zones from hot and arid desert, to freezing cold tundras. Zero degrees is cold, 100 is hot. I think the equivalent in celsius is 40 to 42 degrees.

Your weights are super high too compared to regular kg's.
It's better than Stone.

Your dates are the wrong way around, making everything super confusing and you even manage to have every time of the day twice! It's either 6:00 or 18:00, not 6 AM or 6 PM. There's 24 hours in a day, not 12 hours twice.

US, you suck at all of this!
You only have one timezone and weird holidays (which doesn't mean vacation) so just disregard that stuff.

Figure out whether you want to be called Holland or The Netherlands, why you're called Dutch when that word is completely unrelated to the aforementioned names, and why Operation Market Garden missions in WWII video games is your country's biggest claim to fame.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm a "Attitude Era started the night after Wrestlemania XIV" guy myself.

Granted, a lot of that has to do with me coming back to wrestling that very night but having caught up on 1997 years later I stand by it. 1997 represents an upswing in WWF and it's not really the new generation anymore, but it's not really the attitude era.

It's a lot like the period between the invasion and the brand split.

Aiii

So not worth it
Your country is the size of Stone Cold Steve Austin's ranch. You have the same temperature everywhere, so I can see how using a scale in which only about 20 degrees is actually used can be convenient.
Actually this is not true, because one side of the country is at the coast there's actually quite a bit of difference in both the summer and winter between one end and another. Oddly enough.

Figure out whether you want to be called Holland or The Netherlands, why you're called Dutch when that word is completely unrelated to the aforementioned names, and why Operation Market Garden missions in WWII video games is your country's biggest claim to fame.

It's The Netherlands, Holland is just two out of twelve provinces and just plain old wrong. I am not from Holland, Holland fucking sucks, I'm a Limburger, not a Hollander (This is where you post a Biker Mice From Mars pic).

Dutch is a mistranslation from you English speaking folk. I don't really know why, but somehow you mixed up Deutsch (=German in actual German) and Nederlands (Dutch).

Our biggest claim to fame is in fact not WW2, but rather our colonization of the world. Holland was on the forefront and have in fact, played quite a big part in building your country, something to think about. Better respect your elders, son!

Downhome

You are all wrong. The Attitude Era started in 1994...

UY3J4dm.png

The era died with, and this is not a tasteless joke, I'm being serious, Chris Benoit. Sure, technically it started to fade with the rise of babyface Cena, or maybe before, but it certainly went beyond when they bought WCW. I'd say it was born during the Austin/Bret WM match and it grew up during the Montreal screwjob.

Kaladin

I have one wrestling related bucket list item left.

To see a pro wrestling event live in Japan. Whether it's New Japan, Dragon Gate, All Japan, Big Japan....whatever. I'm going to a wrasslin show in Japan before I die.

G-Fex

Hogan was just looking out for that little Hulkamaniac that Vader broke the back of. It's called karma, brother jack!
Hogan is justice!
You have to remember Hulk Hogan followed the three demandments of Hulkamania, chief among them the prayers, the training, and the vitamins and was, thus, impervious to harm and moral decay.

Indeed, I go by these hulkamania demandments, saying my vitamins and eating my prayers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8q71z_hulk-no-sales-a-vaderbomb_fun

Even though no one was watching WCW, it seems everyone tuned into this one episode by chance.

goddamnit Hogan

somedevil

Samoa Joe finally talks about the kidnapping angle:

You want me to break the silence on that? I don't like getting verbal spats with people who I don't think are worth my time or my effort and a dude in particular is Vince Russo. This cat, I don't have a problem with Vince Russo. When he left i just told him, It is what it is. He always had 22 million reasons for making the decisions that he made. But when Hogan and Bischoff came in they said 'Oh we have this great idea. We are going to do this thing and take you off of TV and re-brand you. Do all this other stuff. We do this kidnapping thing and you come back as a psychopath.' I was cool with it.

I sat at home for 3 months on a bitching ass vacation. I had one of the best vacations in the history of vacations. Paid vacation. Getting ready so i call them back Week after Week 'What do you guys need me to do'. They would say 'We are still coming up with something'. Vince Russo with his infinite ridiculousness just said, we are short on babyfaces and so i get a call saying 'Joe we need to bring you back to TV'.

So I asked him, So how is it that you are going to bring me back. He said, I don't know how just yet but we need to bring you in. So the dude couldn't write his way out of a kidnapping. The only reason why I bring this up is because he has the audacity to blame all of his silliness on other people. And by the way wrestlers, Pro wrestlers all over the world and people in the business. Stop whoring yourself out to shoot interviews. This man couldn't write his way out of a kidnapping. That's how much respect he had for the product, how much respect he had for the fans and that is indicative of his style of what he did. He was the head writer at the time and this is the way he felt that was admissible. Now i know this little bitch is going to go back on a shoot and talk all of this shit.

The man should be angry at Russo. He was close to becoming a star in TNA and then
Russo came back basically ruined it all for him.

I have one wrestling related bucket list item left.

To see a pro wrestling event live in Japan. Whether it's New Japan, Dragon Gate, All Japan, Big Japan....whatever. I'm going to a wrasslin show in Japan before I die.
So you've already crossed "spooning with Sunny" off the list?

Bronson Lee....I have a question that you might know the answer to. What is the artist - name for Chuck Taylor's current Kentucky Gentlemen theme song. I haven't been able to find that anywhere. All I see listed are his older stuff.

The one he started using as WrestleCon?

I can ask him. Maybe the normal DGUSA music guy has it too.

Why would you hate Tom Waits?

Because that pothead Sudeikis does!

You're dead to me. We're going to drag your coffin around bossman style.

WEEEELLLLL

There's Invasion Attack on April 6th at Tokyo's Sumo Hall, should be a pretty big show.

Oh fuck.

Well now that they are dumping all the dead weight they can't afford like Hogan, Bischoff, and probably soon Sting and Angle, they are going to have to try to kiss the ass of the IWC again by bringing in the good talent from the indies. I expect a renewed interest in the X division as well any time now.

Sanjuro

Looks like a sellout tonight. Been debating snagging a ticket prior, but haven't seen them dip enough. Haven't been to RAW in a very long time.

Top Bottom