• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

So I remember that you guys have done mass avatar bets before, right? Because we're trying to organize one over in the Smash thread, and I was just wondering how big a clusterfuck they usually are.

bjork

https://twitter.com/WWESheamus

How long has Sheamus' twitter account been like that?

Some other guys hacked his account. Drew and someone else, I think? They said they were going to hold his account hostage.

Anyway, as far as aiii's post about personalities, I agree that they're lacking, but they're also lacking in the wrong sense. I wouldn't have ever wanted to go hang out with Austin, or Rock, or whoever. But vignettes of them doing shit off-site, to get the character more developed, I want. Remember Million Dollar Man going to the jewelry store? Or Macho on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous? Or Kamala bowling? Fuck, it's all so simple and requires almost no money to make happen.

I didn't mind things like how they'd point out that D-Lo had a degree in accounting, because they just used it to show that he was smart as he was dodging an elbowdrop or something. That's not gonna make me want to go hang out and crunch numbers with him. But, if he somehow had stolen everyone's W2 and made them job out or else he'd get them audited, THAT could've been a storyline. They even have IRS to follow through in April, this shit writes itself, I tells ya.

But really, I think it's not so much a lack of skill in developing talent on the company's part as much as it is they're trying to force the next catchphrase as a way of getting guys over. Attitude era cemented that singalong shit with the audience, and "what" hasn't gone away over a decade after the fact. "Yes" is over, and it's just one thing a guy did. If everyone does that, maybe they think that's enough to turn people into fans of those talents? I don't think it works, but I don't run WWE, either.

Aiii

So not worth it
Anyone got a recent pic of Sting? I don't watch tna.

I want to be excited..
img_9831crsys.jpg

Kaladin

You can't go based on how he looks in TNA. If WWE gets hold of him, they can work magic on older performers when they want to. Look at what they did for Kevin Nash between appearing for TNA and WWE.

kevin-nash.jpg

Kevin-Nash-Returns-.JPG

strobogo

Banned
You can't go based on how he looks in TNA. If WWE gets hold of him, they can work magic on older performers when they want to. Look at what they did for Kevin Nash between appearing for TNA and WWE.

kevin-nash.jpg

Kevin-Nash-Returns-.JPG

Nash looked 100% better as the Silver Fox than the bushy goatee and hair dye shit they had him do.

Aiii

So not worth it
I watched Starrcade 97 on the 31st of December on German Sports Channel DSF.

14-year-old me could've used more friends I suppose
, but I actually stayed home for that show
. I also played Rise of the Triad that night, it was a defining moment in my development.

strobogo

Banned
I'm pretty sure that Starrcade 1997 was the first WCW PPV I got. I got a couple in 1998 and none in 1999-2001. I didn't get to order a ton of PPVs as a kid, even though we could afford it. My first one was WM9. Vividly remember getting WM12 and my cousin saying the finish to the iron man match would be a tie, then HBK winning in over time. This was days before the event and I couldn't figure out how he knew it. He wasn't even a big wrestling fan so I doubt he was trolling around on Netscape Navigator to find Observer dirt or anything. Got Mind Games, WM 14, Summerslam 98, and then I don't remember getting any shows in 1999 or 2000. A different cousin and a group of his friends got Rumble 2003 and WM19. I don't think I've ordered a PPV since then.

I did get a couple weekly TNA shows, though.

Ithil

Surely they will use Crow Sting's theme music for Sting, if he arrives? I assume that's included in the WCW rights they own.

So I remember that you guys have done mass avatar bets before, right? Because we're trying to organize one over in the Smash thread, and I was just wondering how big a clusterfuck they usually are.

I don't have an answer, but didn't want to see your question get buried like Zack Ryder

I will not lie I will cry tears of joy for The Man Called Sting. It would have been nice if he had joined WWE sooner, or even spent some time over in Japan. However, I guess the guy has a family and thought about what was best for them, which is admirable.

They tend to get pretty well to be honest, everyone takes it in good spirits and sees the funny side to the gamble. Hopefully you guys share that same sort of spirit and good luck!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
One more day to the Rumble. The Avatar Rumble. Chat box will be the commentary - I won't hop on the mic and ruin it.

Also OSW Review is receptive to my advertising request. We're gonna make it fellas!

But seriously, Sting is terrible. You've got your Hard Times, you've got your Cream of the Crop, you've got Austin 3:16, you've got the Pipe Bomb. Sting's most famous promo is introducing the Shockmaster.

Sting is the smark John Cena.

Striker

John Cena would drive a Dodge Viper for sure. Big Green and white Dodge Viper.

The catchphrase I totally agree with. It's all about whatever they can put on t-shirt rather than the wrestler building a character.
The Zigger stuff is purely from creative/Vince's end. Commentary also doesn't help. Bad Ass Billy Gunn was a guy who had it on his tights and in his theme song, but you didn't constantly hear JR and King talk about it on commentary. They just called the match and putting over whatever feud he and Road Dogg were in. But everything is such diluted and dull now - tons of exposition instead of actually pulling through and making it seem exciting by allowing fans to watch it unfold. They repeat it then week after week , as if one fan didn't hear the 20 times before.

But seriously, Sting is terrible. You've got your Hard Times, you've got your Cream of the Crop, you've got Austin 3:16, you've got the Pipe Bomb. Sting's most famous promo is introducing the Shockmaster.

Sting is the smark John Cena.

... Go away Matthew Gallant. Go away. Sting's best promo was not speaking for 14 months! Just pointing, and this is the season of pointing. You're out of your league.

Kaladin

You know what would be awesome? If WWE teased Sting using the same type of promo they used for Undertaker a few (couple?) years ago that everyone thought was Sting.

mrboo001

Banned

Another thing is that we don't force one single image on everyone. We have an agreed upon theme (e.g. Must be a wrestler) but everyone can pick an image that fits.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
What if Undertaker comes out for their match high on painkillers or something and Sting has to hold him down and pin him in 15 seconds like he did with Hardy? This ending the streak? That's what I want

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

The way the avatar rumble works is like this - you 'ante up' with your avatar. You're at risk, but you make a pick. Whoever wins, everyone who anted up has to change their avatar to one of the character who won. That gives people a LITTLE creativity.

UWF - DIRTY DUTCH MANTEL vs AKIRA MAEDA - 1984

ihaq7jBbCIdER.gif

old man Zeb used to be a pretty good brawler, let's see what he does against the asshole Maeda. nice cowboy hat and why is he eating the confetti or whatever the hell that thing is?

isBgTZNejpH5J.gif

they lock up and immediately start trading some stiff ass shots. these boys ain't playing around.

ib128V7X0RIEvi.gif

ooof, big dropkick from Maeda, followed by a hard scoop slam.

iEnE8FWOpnYgo.gif

great reversal from a wrist lock by Maeda, ending in a wrist lock of his own.

iYmevXNs9w9Wv.gif

holy shit, did Zeb knew he was signing up for this? stiff ass european uppercuts by Maeda, that had to hurt.

iMSkVE3Ov0B9r.gif

good hip toss into straight armbar from Maeda. Dutch got some offence here and there...

iFGjiWo83JDbi.gif

... like this hard forearm smash that drills Maeda in the head.

i2rrhB7BErcwI.gif

this finish, goddamn. Maeda clearly knocks the wind out of Zeb with the heel kick, which makes the german suplex pin just a formality.

https://legitshook.squarespace.com/straight-shooters-with-lambda-piscium

you know what would be good promotion for legitshook? someone tweet a link to this and ask Zeb if he really got knocked the fuck out by that kick, cause that shit hit him hard.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the other day I tweeted to Del Rio the ones of his you did. No response but it only takes one.

Aiii

So not worth it
In kayfabe world you can certainly see why Zeb Coulter would have recruited Cesaro when you look at this stuff, it's clearly right up his alley. Yeah, maybe your not american, but damn your European Uppercuts looks like they hurt and I WOULD KNOW!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
In kayfabe world you can certainly see why Zeb Coulter would have recruited Cesaro when you look at this stuff, it's clearly right up his alley. Yeah, maybe your not american, but damn your European Uppercuts looks like they hurt and I WOULD KNOW!

That's the beauty of the patriotic gimmick. You can cheer faces very obviously, but you can twist your ideals just right to let anyone in.

Las tnight I watched a Demolition vs Brain Busters match and the Brain Busters had jackets. Fuckin sweet.

Top Bottom