• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

Wade Barrett confirmed he won't be in the Royal Rumble on Twitter. The Godfather or Papa Shango is taking his place in some sort of tie to the joke Barrett made on Twitter about how he wouldn't have done his Old School Raw segment if Papa Shango had been there, while the Godfather was on stage.

That or there's someone else with a voodoo connection or it's the Ultimate Warrior.

This is pretty close to the longest running thing Rumble history RE: Barrett claiming The Godfather/Papa Sango is taking his place :p

Ryu751

Banned
I don't know how you fight but even if that was true his job isn't to be a good fighter. It's to be a good wrestler and entertaining to watch. He is both.

When he was champion he had some of the best matches of the year and that's his job.

Punk always says it on his doc, he isn't an natural athlete but he has plenty of other qualities as a wrestler and worked to overcome his shortcomings on that aspect.

He is a good performer no doubt. Just a terrible athlete. I know wrestling is fake and shit, but that dude looks like he can't even throw a football much less beat athletes like Brock or Angle.

kiguel182

Angle vs Roode was the only thing of interest on Impact. Cool match, even if not very original.

The ending was the same as last week, I was actually expecting a lengthy match between the two but I guess not.

The rest was very bland, that's the best word to describe Impact these days. Bland.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
To be fair though stro this is the third face leaving the company booked like superman in a row. It took the entire heel roster to beat Sting/AJ/Jeff Hardy.

Nameless

Say what you want, but he's a big guy who can work, and he has a very distinctive look. It's just his character that needs adjustment.

I've definitely seen worse, buf he just doesn't do it for me. Ring work us boring, Mic work is boring fella, the guy is just a drag.

Give me Jesus Reigns any day.

kiguel182

He is a good performer no doubt. Just a terrible athlete. I know wrestling is fake and shit, but that dude looks like he can't even throw a football much less beat athletes like Brock or Angle.

I never felt he was out of place against Brock and he is a freak of nature. He isn't booked like an equal to those big guys, it's as believable as wrestling is.

But I do agree, he isn't very athletic but his storytelling is top notch and easily compensates for that.

But, if WWE wanted to be believable, Big Show wouldn't lose since he can throw KO punches like nothing. Tons of stuff aren't realistic, him not being very athletic isn't a big issue for me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sheamus is ten times the wrestler Roman Reigns is.
And when they turn Roman face, guess what? He's going to be doing the same shtick Sheamus did.

strobogo

Banned
Angle vs Roode was the only thing of interest on Impact. Cool match, even if not very original.

The ending was the same as last week, I was actually expecting a lengthy match between the two but I guess not.

The rest was very bland, that's the best word to describe Impact these days. Bland.

Angle hasn't had an interesting match in years to me. The Angle/Anderson cage match from a few years ago, but only because Kurt didn't just do his formula.

To be fair though stro this is the third face leaving the company booked like superman in a row. It took the entire heel roster to beat Sting/AJ/Jeff Hardy.

The thing was, Sting wasn't really booked like Superman in it. Most of the run ins were on Joe. Sting really didn't get attacked much during all those run ins. And he stayed down from Magnus' finish for probably 2 minutes. I wouldn't say Sting was booked to go down like Superman. Despite all the run ins, the actual finish was fairly clean. Which was nice considering how Hogan went out. Shows the difference in egos between Sting and Hogan.

EC3 is far and away the best thing in TNA. Bromans is terrible and I enjoy Robbie E quite a bit. Abyss is back. I can't take serious Joe's push seriously. It will last 2 months at the most. And then his contract will be up and they'll offer him half as much. Same thing with Daniels.

Ryu751

Banned
I never felt he was out of place against Brock and he is a freak of nature. He isn't booked like an equal to those big guys, it's as believable as wrestling is.

But I do agree, he isn't very athletic but his storytelling is top notch and easily compensates for that.

But, if WWE wanted to be believable, Big Show wouldn't lose since he can throw KO punches like nothing. Tons of stuff aren't realistic, him not being very athletic isn't a big issue for me.

But its real to me. He is good at everything else a good wrestle needs to be good at by working hard. Good for him. I like wrestling for the athleticism. Punks matches always looked extra scripted and phony, because he had zero natural athleticism.

Mr. Sam

Punk's been in some of the - if not the - greatest matches in recent WWE history; against Cena, against Undertaker, against Lesnar. I think that speaks for itself.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
With everyone gone, Daniels supposedly now has one of the largest contracts in the company. The reports are his deal expires in April.

It's either him or Angle. They got a huge bargain on Hardy whereas they were the only ones super hot on Daniels and gave him a big deal.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Punk's been in some of the - if not the greatest matches - in recent WWE history; against Cena, against Undertaker, against Lesnar. I think that speaks for itself.

I agree. But he's been lousy since Summerslam. They've had him feuding with the likes of Curtis Axel and Ryback and he clearly checked out at some point. Can't say I blame him but some time off would do him and honestly the WWE some good at this point. It's either that or just have him win the Rumble.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
More seasoned, less green? Sure. But Reigns has oodles more charisma , athleticism, and natural ability.

Charisma's hard to define, but how do you figure on the later two?
I've seen Sheamus go for 30 minutes with great matches. I've seen Sheamus have great matches with Big Show. The only guy I've seen Sheamus have a BAD match with is Orton. I've seen him have a great match with Cesaro while letting Cesaro hurl him around instead of 'worrying about looking weak.' That dude busts his ass every time they give him a big match.

All I've seen Roman Reigns do is a spear and a superman punch and SCREAMING A LOT

kiguel182

Angle hasn't had an interesting match in years to me. The Angle/Anderson cage match from a few years ago, but only because Kurt didn't just do his formula.

It was formulaic but I still enjoyed it.

Angle going through the motions it's better than most guys trying hard, but he is a shadow of his former self, that's for sure.

Roode it's also very fun to watch, that guy could be huge in a good company. He is being wasted in TNA.

Rapstah

Don't ask me why I was pretending to be a school child between the ages of 4 and 18 to get into the WrestleMania Reading Challenge web page, but figuring that the Bella Twins and the Miz were involved I had to see how bad this was.

Depending on your age you get a video or a written presentation of the wrestler(s) you pick. This is the written presentation on the Bella twins for someone born in 2006.

bellatwinsymulk.png

(Why are they the same choice if they picked different answers to both of the questions they got to answer?)

Regardless, if you pick above a certain age you get video presentations instead. That's kind of backwards. Even more backwards is that you get to see the videos before you pick one as your pen pal... which makes it obvious they're all reading from the same script. The script contains the line "[...] but outside of the ring I'm an avid reader who loves going to the library to pick up new books". AJ Lee, Alberto Del Rio, Mark Henry, as well as Big Show all read this same script.

The top 2 prizes are a visit from a WWE Superstar (not specified who as in there's literally a space after "WWE Superstar" where they didn't put in someone's name) approximated at a retail value of 0$:
A: 2 Grand Prizes: The Grand Prize Winner from each Age Group will receive a visit to their school from WWE Superstar , on a date agreed to by WWE and the Grand Prize Winner’s school. Approximate retail value (“ARV”) of Grand Prize: $0.

Basically this is a decent idea that WWE put somewhere slightly below the minimum effort into.

Nameless

Charisma's hard to define, but how do you figure on the later two?
I've seen Sheamus go for 30 minutes with great matches. I've seen Sheamus have great matches with Big Show. The only guy I've seen Sheamus have a BAD match with is Orton. I've seen him have a great match with Cesaro while letting Cesaro hurl him around instead of 'worrying about looking weak.' That dude busts his ass every time they give him a big match.

All I've seen Roman Reigns do is a spear and a superman punch and SCREAMING A LOT

Is it really a stretch to call Reigns more athletically gifted? That seems pretty obvious from watching the two work.

And yeah, look where Sheamus was a year in and look where Reigns is. His match was Punk >>>>>> anything I saw from Shame at that stage in his career, and that's not even mentioning the countless phenomenal tag team matches he's had. You hear about Jesus Reigns being groomed for the main event and that makes all the sense in the world. When the same was said about Sheamus the consensus was his push was a product of being Trips' work out buddy and Vince's man crush of the moment.

Reigns has wen protected well by being teamed up with 2 great workers . Guy has the presence now jus needs to work on singles matches. Give him the Goldberg 3 minute squashes and work up from their.

Boom instant star

kiguel182

Sheamus is awesome in the ring. Fuckers can't separate the character from the ring work.

His match with Bryan at Extreme Rules was one of the best matches that year.

His bouts with Big Show were also surprisingly good.

The ring work isn't the problem, the character on the other hand... Unbearable.

Verendus

Banned
My name is Sheamus fella. I'm from the land of leprechauns fella. My younger brother goes by the name of Hornswoggle fella.

Until Sheamus sorts out his persona, he is dead to me.

strobogo

Banned
Guys in here talking about that Sheamus is some unathletic oaf who only got pushed because HHH liked him, completely discounting that he was one of the best workers in the company in 2012. Fucking marks taking 18 seconds personally.

Verendus

Banned
18 seconds is the best thing Sheamus ever did.

The only thing better would be him eliminating Bryan from the rumble match within 10 seconds of entering the ring.

Edit:

But Sheamus still sucks.

Nameless

Reigns has wen protected well by being teamed up with 2 great workers . Guy has the presence now jus needs to work on singles matches. Give him the Goldberg 3 minute squashes and work up from their.

Boom instant star

You're right, he was teamed up with two all around studs, which makes his rising, at the very least, to their level even more impressive.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Guys in here talking about that Sheamus is some unathletic oaf who only got pushed because HHH liked him, completely discounting that he was one of the best workers in the company in 2012. Fucking marks taking 18 seconds personally.

More or less.

DMczaf

It doesn't help that he's had one of the most unlikable characters ever since he arrived. Heel or face, nothing about him is charming or likable. He actually got worse when he was the face champion. Dear lord...

Which is weird because in his shoot interviews he's a likable guy.

Who? I think everyone in here recognizes sheamus as a great worker white a shit character!

His matches with sandow wee great and elevated sandow . Cena just buried sandow instead

Pavaloo

Sheamus is great. Never bored with him when he's in the ring. His character could be fine if the booking was better.

"Im Irish and I like to FIGHT" is perfectly fine with me

G-Fex

Face it stro, he's the fucking Rellik of the WWE.

He's slow, not fun to watch.

Only amusing thing he did was bury daniel bryan at WM

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Listened to Ambrose on Art of Wrestling. Skipped the ads.

Ambrose is a weird fucker. I've known a few people with that strange, detached treatment of life. It was good. Dude's weird.

Sheamus gimmick should be Irish brawler. Just beat the piss out of people

Also heyman should manage reigns. His pronunciation would be godlike

RO-MAN

REI-IGNS

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You guys are insane.

Sheamus is great in the ring. I like him just being a simple I'm IRISH and I like to FIGHT guy but that shit really only works when you're a heel. Him being on the mic as a face was legit painful to listen to.

Vylash

Sheamus is seriously a very good worker, obviously he needs either a heel turn or some character shift, but he consistently puts on some of the best matches, also he even made Big Show look good

Top Bottom