• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

LOOK AT the STIRATIONS

tumblr_n0278hBuzq1rkzyp8o1_1280.jpg

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Guys, this is WWE.

Either way, I'm going to watch, but I'm not going to enjoy myself or will enjoy myself when things I like happen or don't happen how I want it to happen and oh no where are my NJPW tapes.

Hashtag guysthisiswwe.

(honestly though, I've always been optimistic and will like watching whatever happens. Plus, WWE's not the only thing around.)

Rumble was fun for the most part, barring JBL's waste of a spot and Punk's elimination. Greatly enjoyed the crowd turning on it when they realised Bryan wasn't appearing - they'll just have to content themselves with having seen a kick-ass singles match that was easily match of the night and where Bryan helped Bray look like a million bucks. Also, El Torito!

Anywho, went to see PROGRESS Chapter 11 yesterday afternoon and, as per usual, it was a pretty awesome show from top to bottom - they kicked off with Screw Indy Wrestling vs Stixx & Mastiff, which was a good opener the crowd were well into (until Haskins & Cruz won), followed by the first of the 2014 Natural Progression Series with two debuting wrestlers; Flash Morgan Webster & Josh Bodom. This was an excellent singles match that really surprised me, they got a standing ovation afterwards and Flash picked up the with with a 450. Next, we got the 3rd meeting between Noam Dar & El Ligero, another great match that saw the ever-popular Noam come out on top. Great return to PROGRESS from both men. After intermission there was the final PROGRESS Tag Team Championship Tournament match with Eddie Dennis & Mark Andrews vs The Swords of Essex - just 10 minutes or so of some real crazy tag wrestling. The Swords are easily one of my favourite tag teams in the UK today, both are very talented high flyers, but Will Ospreay's springboard SSP to the floor right in front of me stole the match, even if the Swords came up short in the end. The first tag champions will be crowned at Chapter 12 with Dennis & Andrews vs Haskins & Cruz vs Project Ego.

Next, we got Rampage Brown vs Tommy End, a fairly hard-hitting affair, as you'd expect if you're at all familiar with either. Brown picked up the win. The final match was for the PROGRESS Nazi Staff, the dastardly Jimmy Havoc defending against Zack Sabre Jr. As Havoc attacked the referee at the last show, they announced a special guest ref, Zack's tag partner 'Party' Marty Scurll. Jimmy tried to weasel out of it, but Zack quickly got the match started. Excellent back and forth contest between the two, until one of the security guards revealed himself to be in Havoc's employ, placing the eagle on top of the Nazi Staff under Sabre's head as Jimmy hit a piledriver. Jimmy KO'd Marty with a DVD and then forced PROGRESS owner Jim Smallman to declare him the winner, or he'd choke Zack to death. So, yeah, Jimmy won again, the cunt. Great to see Zack again, as he's over in Japan a whole lot more these days, and a good end to another awesome show. Really looking forward to Chapter 12, which is at a bigger venue to celebrate PROGRESS's 2nd anniversary.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Rumble was fun for the most part, barring JBL's waste of a spot and Punk's elimination. Greatly enjoyed the crowd turning on it when they realised Bryan wasn't appearing - they'll just have to content themselves with having seen a kick-ass singles match that was easily match of the night and where Bryan helped Bray look like a million bucks. Also, El Torito!

Anywho, went to see PROGRESS Chapter 11 yesterday afternoon and, as per usual, it was a pretty awesome show from top to bottom - they kicked off with Screw Indy Wrestling vs Stixx & Mastiff, which was a good opener the crowd were well into (until Haskins & Cruz won), followed by the first of the 2014 Natural Progression Series with two debuting wrestlers; Flash Morgan Webster & Josh Bodom. This was an excellent singles match that really surprised me, they got a standing ovation afterwards and Flash picked up the with with a 450. Next, we got the 3rd meeting between Noam Dar & El Ligero, another great match that saw the ever-popular Noam come out on top. Great return to PROGRESS from both men. After intermission there was the final PROGRESS Tag Team Championship Tournament match with Eddie Dennis & Mark Andrews vs The Swords of Essex - just 10 minutes or so of some real crazy tag wrestling. The Swords are easily one of my favourite tag teams in the UK today, both are very talented high flyers, but Will Ospreay's springboard SSP to the floor right in front of me stole the match, even if the Swords came up short in the end. The first tag champions will be crowned at Chapter 12 with Dennis & Andrews vs Haskins & Cruz vs Project Ego.

Next, we got Rampage Brown vs Tommy End, a fairly hard-hitting affair, as you'd expect if you're at all familiar with either. Brown picked up the win. The final match was for the PROGRESS Nazi Staff, the dastardly Jimmy Havoc defending against Zack Sabre Jr. As Havoc attacked the referee at the last show, they announced a special guest ref, Zack's tag partner 'Party' Marty Scurll. Jimmy tried to weasel out of it, but Zack quickly got the match started. Excellent back and forth contest between the two, until one of the security guards revealed himself to be in Havoc's employ, placing the eagle on top of the Nazi Staff under Sabre's head as Jimmy hit a piledriver. Jimmy KO'd Marty with a DVD and then forced PROGRESS owner Jim Smallman to declare him the winner, or he'd choke Zack to death. So, yeah, Jimmy won again, the cunt. Great to see Zack again, as he's over in Japan a whole lot more these days, and a good end to another awesome show. Really looking forward to Chapter 12, which is at a bigger venue to celebrate PROGRESS's 2nd anniversary.

El Torito was a comedy entrant that was appreciated and fun. Look on the bright side folks, here's a few people that didn't make it in:

Brodus Clay
Xavier Woods (already DOA)
Zack Ryder (poor dude was in tears no doubt)

This Is Progress sounds like fun but my god I can't enjoy that piece of shit Noam Dar. That little runt. I have to get my hate out somehow, and what with me turning a corner on Devitto, well...someone's gotta be the focal point. It's Noam Chomskydar.

strobogo

Banned
They're going to bring up the Ascension. Cause that's what Vince thinks we all want. More muscular big men.

Everything in NXT is HHH. Vince is completely hands off on the booking and hiring of the show. The Ascension and Rusev are all HHH. And CJ Parker. On the other hand, so are Big E, Tyler Breeze, PAC, Generico, Enzo and Big Cass, and Aiden English.

Stealing the guts of this post from somewhere else.

The truth is, legit heat is the business model since people are hip to kayfabe. Nobody is pissed because a heel cheats. But, they do get pissed if somebody is getting 'buried.' However, Aa long as Bryan is on the roster, no big number of fans will just up and stop watching in protest because they'll be cutting Bryan's throat.

He is the Tommy Dreamer of the fed. Chasing the title is all part of the plan. As long as he is almost but not quite and continues to have five star epics, fans will still watch. Hell, he even has the 'hotter girlfriend/wife that you'd expect' gimmick.

The thing you guys should be considering is that the catch is never as good as the hunt. So what happens when DB wins the belt and WWE cannot come up with the proper Rogues Gallery of Special Guest Villains to throw at him to make his title run meaningful? Or worse, if the belt just withers around his waist like it did when He Who Cannot Be Named was champ because non-title feuds got pushed to the main event while the title was relegated to the mid-card?

In rather see the main event playa than JBL in for 5 second. Got to wonder how any people said no for JBL to have to be picked .

Nash wasn't passing a chance to. Collect another check

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Stealing the guts of this post from somewhere else.

The truth is, legit heat is the business model since people are hip to kayfabe. Nobody is pissed because a heel cheats. But, they do get pissed if somebody is getting 'buried.' However, Aa long as Bryan is on the roster, no big number of fans will just up and stop watching in protest because they'll be cutting Bryan's throat.

He is the Tommy Dreamer of the fed. Chasing the title is all part of the plan. As long as he is almost but not quite and continues to have five star epics, fans will still watch. Hell, he even has the 'hotter girlfriend/wife that you'd expect' gimmick.

The thing you guys should be considering is that the catch is never as good as the hunt. So what happens when DB wins the belt and WWE cannot come up with the proper Rogues Gallery of Special Guest Villains to throw at him to make his title run meaningful? Or worse, if the belt just withers around his waist like it did when He Who Cannot Be Named was champ because non-title feuds got pushed to the main event while the title was relegated to the mid-card?

I can agree with a lot of that. Kayfabe's changed - and moments like this, whether it's a work or not, is getting the fans legit upset. Some people will say "Yeah but it's not a good kind of heat when people don't want to come back or spend more money!" but you do, we do, we all do. We're puppets!

Also HHH has hits more than he has misses with his dudes.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Friend Dream posted this in MMA-GAF - from the other week's Observer, on Daniel Bryan's popularity:

Bryan was on WGRD radio in Grand Rapids to promote Smackdown, and said that WWE has never seen any money in him, and was outspoken about the WWE’s direction of his character. He said to this day, even with the loud fan reactions, he still doesn’t think the company sees money in him, and he said this is very frustrating for him. He said this isn’t an objective business like football. He noted that the company thinks he’s getting a great crowd reaction but don’t think he’s selling tickets or getting people buying PPVs, and he said that’s really about what it’s about? He said sometimes it is frustrating dealing with the politics because he’s not a political person. He said he’s easy going, and as far as being successful in WWE, that’s his biggest doubtful. He said he doesn’t know why he connects with the crowd at the level it is, he said there are guys as good as him who don’t connect, he couldn’t teach it and he can’t explain it. He said he got popular without what guys like Hogan and Austin got, where they almost never lost. He said the day after WrestleMania he lost to Langston in three minutes, and before he main evented SummerSlam he lost to Sandow in four minutes on TV. He noted he’s never been the guy who the company has ever wanted to be the guy, and he said you can get crowd reactions like that for only so long but it won’t endure if you aren’t protected in booking. He compared himself to Clay Guida, who he said at one time was everyones’s favorite UFC fighter, and at one point everyone was rooting for him, but he kept losing, people still like him, even love him but nobody buys PPV to see him. He said for long-term success as a main event star like Hogan, Austin or Cena, you have to be proteced in booking and that’s never happened with him. He said he doesn’t get frustrated easily and sometimes the crowd forces the company’s hands to do things they really don’t want to do. Bryan did say the company has gotten behind an idea from the Bella Twins that will be marketed called “The Yes Movement.” He talked about being in Seattle and how the fans hijacked the main event segment, and he thought it was awesome because it was for him.

This Is Progress sounds like fun but my god I can't enjoy that piece of shit Noam Dar. That little runt. I have to get my hate out somehow, and what with me turning a corner on Devitto, well...someone's gotta be the focal point. It's Noam Chomskydar.

Lol, he's undeniably a little prick, but that's all part of his charm. I'm sure he'll win you over yet, Vince. I'd change my avatar to this if I could;

FgO6XKM.png

Stupid Archibald.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, he's undeniably a little prick, but that's all part of his charm. I'm sure he'll win you over yet, Vince. I'd change my avatar to this if I could;
Stupid Archibald.

Horrible logo. It's like that time I had a close British friend who said that "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is probably my favourite movie" so I "humoured" him and watched it, and found it to be the cheesiest, weirdest, most awkward shit (but visually striking.)

Long story short Noam Dar is a toxic person because I can't read his twitter without fixing his pidgin english.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Last night was fun in nerd chat talking to about half of y'all. That weird Wolfpac/Hollywood split was actually good, a chat with over 150 people would have been too much, way too much.

Stro was routinely making me larf larf larf. MAGGLE!

RBH

Last night was fun in nerd chat talking to about half of y'all. That weird Wolfpac/Hollywood split was actually good, a chat with over 150 people would have been too much, way too much.

Stro was routinely making me larf larf larf. MAGGLE!
Which chat group was considered the nWo B Team?

I was too drunk to chat and watch the PPV at the same time. Surprised I managed to make a handful of gifs before passing out (seriously, that fucking Orton vs Cena finisher-fest was THE WORST - you guys can shit all over indie wrestling all you fucking like, but I'd gladly watch the most indie-rific indie wrestling any day of the week over THAT SHIT).

Jeff Albertson said:
Dar is a massive cock on twitter

Seems most indie guys are proper up their own ass though

Travis strikes me as a bit of a prick and there seems to be a lot of wrestlers who are proper marks for themselves on the UK indies, judging by the shit they spout on twitter.

Vince McMahon said:
Long story short Noam Dar is a toxic person because I can't read his twitter without fixing his pidgin english.

Lol, I don't know why scots have to type how they speak. Super annoying.

Downhome

To me this is a no brainer now. After last night I'd have HHH and Steph come out to the ring maybe after a bit of Orton bitching in a segment or two, call Orton out then call Batista out, and say they are having the title match at the EC PPV to decide which of the two is the true, ugh, "face of WWE". Start hinting at Orton turning face, start heavy hints of Batista turning heel. In the match, yeah, maybe have HHH as the ref, I don't care. Long story short, HHH and Steph blatantly gives the match to a super heel Batista. Next night on RAW have them come out to celebrate, then throw it in Orton's face how the crowd responded to him at the Rumble, how they can't have the face of their company viewed like that. Maybe even have Batista destroy Orton to cement the face/heel turn.

Also at EC, have Bryan win the EC match for the WM title shot.

Essentially have Batista take over Orton's spot as HHH and Steph's guy and run with it. I certainly wouldn't do it, but if they must toss some sort of WWE crap in maybe have Orton return at WM to distract Batista leading to Bryan getting the pin/submission then use that to build an actual Batista/Orton non-title feud. Let Bryan run with the title for a while, maybe even in a feud with Punk even if it's face vs. face or something.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Which chat group was considered the nWo B Team?

Probably Hollywood, but we have more personality.

I was too drunk to chat and watch the PPV at the same time. Surprised I managed to make a handful of gifs before passing out (seriously, that fucking Orton vs Cena finisher-fest was THE WORST - you guys can shit all over indie wrestling all you fucking like, but I'd gladly watch the most indie-rific indie wrestling any day of the week over THAT SHIT).

I enjoyed seeing Randy's STF. Other than that I didn't enjoy anything.

I wonder if you replaced the crowd's unhappiness with a hot Attitude Era crowd if the match would be more palatable. No doubt the crowd swung things how they wanted to, and I got to enjoy Rey being booed out of the building.

I mean, if ha ye rey to boo, then right ass ha ne on ye mum

That's my best Noam Dar impression.

strobogo

Banned

Travis strikes me as a bit of a prick and there seems to be a lot of wrestlers who are proper marks for themselves on the UK indies, judging by the shit they spout on twitter.

I also got really drunk. I stopped playing the drinking game and came up with my own: Drink everytime someone touches someone. And then I had more after the show.

BFIB

Well, looking at the posts, its clear we all have the same mindset. WTF is WWE doing!?

I get that some wrestlers want to return around this time due to the big payday, but this shit is getting old fast. They are never going to properly build new talent if they just allow the old talent to come in and wipe the floor with them. How awesome would it had been if Reigns eliminated Batista?

Batista doesn't need that win. But for Reigns it would have been huge. So you tease a Shield breakup for what? 5 minutes later the guy gets eliminated anyway?

And looking at all of the Bryan posts and viewpoints, there really isn't anything more that can be said. Its a fucking shame because this is the most over guy I've seen since Rock/Austin.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Reigns should not have won the rumble. They did the right thing. No sense in dragging Reigns up to the main event before he's ready. You can all say he's ready but I doubt it - he's been doing tag and handicap matches. Not nearly enough singles work. He's not ready, and I bet he'd agree as well.

BFIB

Reigns should not have won the rumble. They did the right thing. No sense in dragging Reigns up to the main event before he's ready. You can all say he's ready but I doubt it - he's been doing tag and handicap matches. Not nearly enough singles work. He's not ready, and I bet he'd agree as well.

Even if he won, there's still another PPV inbetween. So you could have a singles match with Batista/Reigns, and have Batista go over Reigns there. Or something. Anything would be better than what we got last night. Sorry Vinnie Mac, I know you really like Bats.

Xater

That is totally true. I think next up will probably be taking that US title away from Ambrose.

strobogo

Banned

Agreed. It was better for him to look impressive and get super over. He can go into EC/WM with the Shield break up angle and then can get the title around Summerslam, after he's had months to work solo.

bjork

I can agree with a lot of that. Kayfabe's changed - and moments like this, whether it's a work or not, is getting the fans legit upset. Some people will say "Yeah but it's not a good kind of heat when people don't want to come back or spend more money!" but you do, we do, we all do. We're puppets!

Also HHH has hits more than he has misses with his dudes.

I follow through dirtsheet TV reports and maybe YT a few clips from unofficial channels, 95% of the time. If that counts as coming back, I guess so. But they've been done getting money from me for quite awhile.

BFIB

Agreed. It was better for him to look impressive and get super over. He can go into EC/WM with the Shield break up angle and then can get the title around Summerslam, after he's had months to work solo.

You guys are making it sound like building Reigns in a long, planned out storyline is something current WWE would do.

Hasney

The more I think about it, the more I think bringing Batista back was a panic move.

They don't think Bryan can headline a Wrestlemania and they haven't built anyone else Justin Credible apart from CM Punk, especially with no second tier to go after. Should have just had Lesnar enter and win it.

Xater

It tells a lot when the best bits of the PPV all involved mid-card guys.

The Zeb signs also were an highlight. Great stuff.

Oh yeah i forgot to mention those signy in my rundown. Those were fun.

Also another disappointment of the show was that Cesaro didn't swing El Torito. I agree with Alvarez that it is something that should have happened.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are making it sound like building Reigns in a long, planned out storyline is something current WWE would do.

But that's what they've been doing! I expected the solid break LONG ago and I can't help but think we won't see it again for almost a month.

The more I think about it, the more I think bringing Batista back was a panic move.

They don't think Bryan can headline a Wrestlemania and they haven't built anyone else Justin Credible apart from CM Punk, especially with no second tier to go after. Should have just had Lesnar enter and win it.

You wanna talk panic moves? Dumping Bryan from the Wyatts angle. Which is why I feel they may change how things go tonight.

It tells a lot when the best bits of the PPV all involved mid-card guys.

The Zeb signs also were an highlight. Great stuff.

I enjoyed his signs for what they're worth. Midcard is usually more entertaining through years and years of wrestling though - the midcard was my favorite part of the WWF's golden years, through WCW's ascension, and even now, midcard is still the best. These are wrasslers who are hungry and bust their ass.

bjork

F5 someone over the top rope to end it, yes.

In the wake of the rumbles shenanigans I feel like it's time we voiced our support of the man who truly deserved better last night, and that man of course is Kane.
Using his newly regained muscular prowess he should have gone on a tear during the rumble and then clash with the opposing superman that was Roman Reigns where they could have battled it out for the rumble record and of course Kane does what he always does and puts the new guy over. Kane's glorious self was wasted being booted in the head by Punk and eliminated in like 1 minute but hey at least he finally reached the HBK record through dubious means, i'm surprised they just didn't count that shit to protect Mr Rumble Mania. My favourite part of the rumble was catching a glimpse of Kane skulking around ringside when JBL entered before vanishing like a Big Red Ninja, totally telegraphing Punk's eventual elimination.
Hopefully next month I can actually watch Kane wrestle a match again, look at that mass! Punk's gonna look sloppy (or sloppier) and out of shape compared to Good Guy Glenn.

Speaking of guys I like who never get to wrestle anymore I can't believe my Wade Barrett talks bad news about rumble entrants idea never came to fruition.

Hasney

You wanna talk panic moves? Dumping Bryan from the Wyatts angle. Which is why I feel they may change how things go tonight.

True, they may even find a way to insert Bryan into the main event, see if he can pull a decent match in a triple threat.

To be honest, the way Batista is looking, he needs all the protection from actually wrestling that he can get and a triple threat may accomplish that.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Please no. At least let Bryan be done with the Wyatts.

It wouldn't surprise me though...Bryan/Cena vs Wyatts IS advertised on the house show circuit.

EDIT: From the Rumble thread, this has me ROLLING
GCvVul.gif

Any post Rumble dirt sheet bullshit?

Meltzer have anything to say.

Is someone backstage at WWE thinking "hey... something isnt right with this direction"

Agreed. His match with Punk wasn't too great, even though he had some awesome moves. I don't mind seeing him and Rollins continuing their tag matches because they seem to work well together.

Is Rusev on the main roster now or is he still in nxt?

Xater

Is someone backstage at WWE thinking "hey... something isnt right with this direction"

Nope, nothing juicy. Just the usual that they don#t believe Bryan can be a main event guy. Clearly bullshit, especially because they haven't even tried.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed. His match with Punk wasn't too great, even though he had some awesome moves. I don't mind seeing him and Rollins continuing their tag matches because they seem to work well together.

Is Rusev on the main roster now or is he still in nxt?

Dunno. We'll see - remember Bo Dallas' excursion.

UberTag

Why would they think such a thing? Didn't you see the rating Big Dave popped for RAW last week?

Until the fans start holding their protests OUTSIDE of arenas and encouraging their peers to tear up their tickets and/or not subscribe to the network, this isn't going to amount to much. They can crap all over the shows once they're in the arena - it's not like Vince & Triple H care as they already have their money by that point.

Nope, nothing juicy. Just the usual that they don#t believe Bryan can be a main event guy. Clearly bullshit, especially because they haven't even tried.
The WWE brass have rationalized to themselves that they DID "try" by virtue of the run D.Brine got post-Summerslam.
You know, the one where he kept getting screwed over and nobody bought the PPVs because they'd been conditioned to expect D.Brine getting screwed over.

Top Bottom