• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

Nameless

The crowd begging for Bryan and shitting on the rest of the roster to do it , as great as it is, didn't work 2 years ago so I doubt it will work now. We all know wrestling is a strange business, where things like tradition, nepotism, ego, unwritten rules, etc.. factor into the product in very clear and tangible ways. Look at how much BS booking Punk had to endure before securing his spot(still not main eventing mania). Honestly I think it's as simple as Vince wanting 'his guys' to headline the 30th anniversary of his baby.

Xater

The crowd begging for Bryan and shitting on the rest of the roster to do it , as great as it is, didn't work 2 years ago so I doubt it will work now. We all know wrestling is a strange business, where things like tradition, nepotism, ego, unwritten rules, etc.. factor into the product in very clear and tangible ways. Look at how much BS booking Punk had to endure before securing his spot(still not main eventing mania). Honestly I think it's as simple as Vince wanting 'his guys' to headline the 30th anniversary of his baby.

Well then he better be ready to have "his baby" be hijacked by the fans, because that's totally going to happen.

Into

The biggest feud in pro wrestling the last 5 years has been WWE vs. fans. First (and still) with Cena hate/love, and now with Daniel Bryan.

Who knew that a company would end up feuding with its fans, who knew that a guy would start to get over by getting beat in 18 seconds at Wrestlemania.

I wonder if the fans will hijack another show at RAW, and who knows what happens at Wrestlemania at this point. What a weird time we live in

Hasney

Just saw this pop up on my Twitter. NoDQ wins the award for "No shit" news of the year:

- There was a lot of negative feedback coming from fans on their way out of the arena after last night's Royal Rumble in Pittsburgh.

Ithil

Someone on Observer Radio brought up an interesting matchup for WM, wherein Seth Rollins faces Big E for the IC title at EC, and wins the title, leading to a title unification match for the IC and US titles, which would be a triple threat match between Ambrose, Rollins and Reigns at WM.
Obviously Reigns would win that, which would be a good rub in the mid card.

WRESTLE-1 - BOB SAPP vs THE GREAT MUTA - 2002

ibk0GUL4cLn5qt.gif

bigger than Hogan, bigger than Austin, it's SAPP TIME. look at him, 100% charisma. what a star. goddamn, juice again Sapp and touch the face god like you once did.

iPFraCtHlAOq2.gif

Muta wearing a BDSM mask for some reason. ANOTHER MASK! such a heel move.

iUjimjXBQeAKQ.gif

Muta comes right in with low dropkicks to take the big man out of his feet. Dragon Screw!!

iEIWIsGxoekmK.gif

Muta goes for a takedown but Sapp just tosses him!! look at the air on that powerbomb.

i0KmeFGvmuy54.gif

Muta comes back with a ref assisted Shining Wizard! great spot.

ibq7XujhMtogDO.gif

they go outside the ring and do a few typical spots while Chono looks on. or sleeps, the shades hide his true emotions.

imcFNuWtwpu7K.gif

awesome Muta elbow drop

ibynSogmQ6Zpt1.gif

Sapp does a shoulder tackle that send Muta flying outside the ring. HOLY SHIT, PLANCHA FROM SAPP!!! WHAT?! FUCK YOUR LUCHADORES, THAT'S WHAT!!

i3Tfeo9CtjjoE.gif

match is inside the ring again. Sapp goes for a powerbomb. POISON MIST! what a counter manuever by Muta.

i0LDobc0iGGiE.gif

SHINING WIZARD! AND ANOTHER! but Muta can't keep the big man down.

ibdxDWZmOM4X4O.gif

Muta goes for the top rope Moonsault but only gets a 2 count. Sapp comes back with a Spinebuster. Sapp begs for Muta to get up. DROPKICK!! holy shit, Sapp, i'm in love.

ibp7XuhhalMN9e.gif

what?! WHAT?! Sapp is climbing the top rope, what's he gonna do? OH SHIT, top rope Diving Headbutt.!!! the big man gets the 3 count and is declared the winner via pinfall.
Sapp shits all over the current hosses on the WWE, it's not even close. what a talent, i miss this Sapp, please come back.

https://legitshook.squarespace.com/straight-shooters-with-lambda-piscium/

Xater

Someone on Observer Radio brought up an interesting matchup for WM, wherein Seth Rollins faces Big E for the IC title at EC, and wins the title, leading to a title unification match for the IC and US titles, which would be a triple threat match between Ambrose, Rollins and Reigns at WM.

Yeah that sounded good. They already made Big E look like a geek in this Rumble so why not?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight's preview for Raw:

* The aftermath of Batista winning the WWE Royal Rumble.
* WWE World Heavyweight champion Randy Orton's reaction to Batista's win.
* John Cena reacts to The Wyatt Family attack.
* What's next for Daniel Bryan?
* New Age Outlaws' first appearance as the WWE Tag Team champions.
* Latest between WWE Divas champion AJ Lee and Naomi.
* Latest between CM Punk and The Authority.
* The Shield responds to Roman Reigns throwing his partners out of the Rumble.

Cagey

Banned

I've been thinking that was the plan for awhile now -- either Rollins or Reigns grabs the IC belt from Langston, and the Shield implosion culminates at WM in a triple threat unification.

I think one way to do this -- and one way to elevate the IC belt -- is to give the IC belt its own Elimination Chamber. Stick Langston, the whole SHIELD, and two other guys who could use a match (Ziggler, Cesaro, Swagger, etc.) into the Chamber. All of the criticism of having two world titles making one of them "a glorified IC belt" are gone because now it's the actual IC belt, and having 6 guys fight each other in a cage gimmick match over the belt is one way to make it important again, since that's 6 guys who deem it important enough to go for it.

Hasney

That'd be nice. Best way for me would be Rollins V Big E at Elimination Chamber which Rollins wins due to Shield shenanigans, then Rollins V Ambrose in a match that was just booked by the authority, but going in they're all claiming to be buddies still. Rollins turns on Roman to give Ambrose the win and set up the Wrestlemania match.

Penguin

What was the last PPV in which the WWE sent fans happy.. or at least gave fans what they wanted.

I feel like we're going on nearly a year.

What was the last PPV in which the WWE sent fans happy.. or at least gave fans what they wanted.

I feel like we're going on nearly a year.

Might be wrestlemania 2 years ago when Rock beat Cena. At the time that was a bit of a nice shocker.

Since then most PPV's have been Cena over coming odds or when Punk became a cowardly heel for a few months.

The biggest feud in pro wrestling the last 5 years has been WWE vs. fans. First (and still) with Cena hate/love, and now with Daniel Bryan.

Who knew that a company would end up feuding with its fans, who knew that a guy would start to get over by getting beat in 18 seconds at Wrestlemania.

I wonder if the fans will hijack another show at RAW, and who knows what happens at Wrestlemania at this point. What a weird time we live in

They're the ones choosing to leave money on the table. They're the ones not giving the people what they want. They seriously don't have have their fingers on the pulse of what's hot unlike say back when Austin and Rock became phenomenons.

Hasney

I'm in the minority that actually still likes Rey Mysterio and even I would have booed the shit out of him coming out at #30.

Kaladin

The audience would have boo'd their own mothers if they had come out at #30 instead of Daniel Bryan.

Hell, I think they would have boo'd Stone Cold at #30.

jred2k

I'll be kind and say Payback from last year with Ryback/Cena 2 out of 3 falls match.

By saying kind, do you really mean delusional? The only bright side to that match was the Cena mouth gif and Sin Cara botching stumbling backwards.

The obvious ambulance roof spot immediately followed by those arms rocketing in to the air with that OK sign is such a perfect summary of everything I hate about Cena.

I got douche chills just typing that.

Batigol

Banned
The sad thing is how predictable this all was. Sheets were bang on the money

Don't want to see Sheamus and Bryan at WM for the 3rd time.

And the worst thing, the crowd shitting over it will do nothing

KissVibes

Banned
WWE better pray that Batista is a ratings draw like they think. I bet ratings are lower tonight than last week.

And how the fuck was WWE going to let DIRTSHEETS be right??

Why don't people buy our PPVs?!!?

MAYBE BECAUSE WE KNOW THE OUTCOME WEEKS OR MONTHS IN ADVANCE.

Carnby

Any post Rumble dirt sheet bullshit?

Meltzer have anything to say.

Is someone backstage at WWE thinking "hey... something isnt right with this direction"

Meltzer called into LAW last night and said (paraphrased) that WWE gave Bryan a chance when he main evented Raw for three weeks, and the ratings were bad. Yet when Batista came back his ratings were huge. If Bryan can't pull in ratings then he will remain a B+ player.

RAW is in some pretty dull sounding towns the next 2 weeks so it will be interesting if things spread to other crowds.

Meltzer called into LAW last night and said (paraphrased) that WWE gave Bryan a chance when he main evented Raw for three weeks, and the ratings were bad. Yet when Batista came back his ratings were huge. If Bryan can't pull in ratings then he will remain a B+ player.

Didnt the Cena / Randy build up to TLC has some shitty ratings as well?

I think the lowest rated raw last year was part of that build.

Ugh. I'm hungover as fuck at work.

In the interest of being positive: Bray looked like a god damn star last night, that was exactly the match that he needed. And Bryan doing the job clean didn't hurt his popularity one ounce, take a note Cena you fucking hack.

UberTag

If the ratings slide at all, they'll just blame D.Brine. Not anyone else.
And they've got stuff lined up to pop the rating in coming weeks.
Like Hogan.

In the interest of being positive: Bray looked like a god damn star last night, that was exactly the match that he needed. And Bryan doing the job clean didn't hurt his popularity one ounce, take a note Cena you fucking hack.
Never fear. Bray will look like shit again once Cena is through with him.

Tonight's preview for Raw:

* The aftermath of Batista winning the WWE Royal Rumble.
* WWE World Heavyweight champion Randy Orton's reaction to Batista's win.
* John Cena reacts to The Wyatt Family attack.
* What's next for Daniel Bryan?
* New Age Outlaws' first appearance as the WWE Tag Team champions.
* Latest between WWE Divas champion AJ Lee and Naomi.
* Latest between CM Punk and The Authority.
* The Shield responds to Roman Reigns throwing his partners out of the Rumble.

Where is it tonight because this sounds terrible. Hopefully it's somewhere like Philly so the crowd will be good.

Any chance of Taker showing up?

K-1 DYNAMITE - BOB SAPP vs KINNIKU MANTARO - 2008

iNP7Iggdx2Oi1.gif

i wish i was joking. Kinniku... Mantaro... what the fuck are you doing, Japan? who is this guy? why is he fighting Sapp? it's a dude in a cartoon mask and a FAT kid.

ibgKwIYV81jny.gif

here comes the Beast. never got tired of this entrance.

iKsglsErkoA6I.gif

the anime guy starts off well, get's a good single leg on Sapp.

ibkFX7WXmwDqJv.gif

they scramble on the ground and are eventually stood up. the much smaller masked guy trips Sapp into the ground once again. there's like a 150lb difference here.

iEnKJz0ZInNuU.gif

the weight difference comes into play as Sapp reverses position and starts hammering on the poor soul.

ibjAEANnCXX2b2.gif

the best part of any Sapp match. SAPP SMASHES!!!!

ibauv2GkfNY1K4.gif

what better way to celebrate breaking your opponent's face than doing the robot? HAHAHA, glorious.

https://legitshook.squarespace.com/straight-shooters-with-lambda-piscium/

Ithil

WWE better pray that Batista is a ratings draw like they think. I bet ratings are lower tonight than last week.

And how the fuck was WWE going to let DIRTSHEETS be right??

Why don't people buy our PPVs?!!?

MAYBE BECAUSE WE KNOW THE OUTCOME WEEKS OR MONTHS IN ADVANCE.

The day after the Rumble is normally one of their biggest nights ratings wise. It's NEXT week that's the problem.
If they think Batista is going to be bumping ratings like his hyped up return going forward, they're fools. Even Rock failed to bump ratings much eventually, and Batista is no Rock.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Friend Lambda, I'm putting together Sapp-A-Mania at my home this weekend and I need all the Bob Sapp fit to consume. Where should I go to find it? Is Dailymotion the best pick, or have his bouts been excised from their library?

Top Bottom