• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

Ithil

He has final say over everything brah. You can't simply unfuck what's already been fucked. Not even Vince can do that. But hey, prove me wrong.

They probably didn't expect the reaction Seattle would entail. Was it booked before or after the Slammys?

Booked after the Slammies. They only finalized the PPV locations the other week.

kirblar

Usually, this is the case, but with Bryan, its not like this is anything new. Going back to even WM 28, fans were already behind Bryan. WWE just kept turning a blind eye to it as long as they could, but had no choice to to address it after the RR debacle.

If the titles were split, guaranteed he'd be quickly asserted into a WHC match, then he would have the belt hot-shot off him.
I think their experience with Ziggler (fans like him...but they don't love him, and he's really never been over enough to carry the brand) helped cause them to get the wrong idea about Bryan. On the surface they look similar, but it's two radically different circumstances.

Pavaloo

Maybe Daniel Bryan doesn't want to be champion just yet and is focusing on his wedding coming up in April. Coincidentally around WrestleMania..

Then again, I heard Vince McMahon was trying to poison Daniel's vegan shakes after RAW, but Brie caught him in the act.

G-Fex

Leaked L4D3 and someone tried to dox him or something.

oh so that's what that pic I saw on reddit was.

sometimes I'm conflicted into thinking maybe it's really wrong to do that sort of thing and leak out those pictures.

I never liked that little spy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
how the fuck does Vince get caught off guard by the reaction to Daniel Bryan?

has he been in suspended animation for the last three years? Did they just thaw his ass out of carbonite last week? what the FUCK

It's not that far-fetched.

Batista coming back was weird - you don't know how the crowd will receive someone coming back like that until it happens. When he came back on the Raw before the rumble, it was...well, weird. Wasn't sure how people were going to feel at the event itself, and that's the big issue. Didn't help that plans were to have this a legit surprise before a radio station leaked it, so WWE had to scramble to announce it - and I think that worked in their favor, Batista drew numbers for Raw.

I believe the WWE felt that Bryan got a good match (nay, a great match really) earlier and was done, and thought people would then focus on the Rumble - but didn't count on the crowd just dying to see him come out late. It was a good Rumble, in general - worked real well, and it was one of the better Rumbles they've had - but people wanted Bryan at 30, and that's why Rey got a steaming turd thrown onto his head when he came out.

I can see how it CAN catch WWE off-guard, but I don't think they should have. They should have been paying more attention and realized the "risk" like this. Shades of Misawa going over, but it didn't happen.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What does "doc him" mean?

get all his dox, all his files, find out who that fool is and make him. expose him. all skeletons. open it up bobby!~

MAGGLE WE GOT DOXED

UberTag

how the fuck does Vince get caught off guard by the reaction to Daniel Bryan?

has he been in suspended animation for the last three years? Did they just thaw his ass out of carbonite last week? what the FUCK

edit: the first time Daniel Bryan chants completely took over a show was two Wrestlemanias ago. Has his hearing aid been on the wrong setting this entire time?
Clearly he's been surrounded by "yes men" who either told him the fans were chanting for someone else that he booked to be over himself or who placated him incorrectly by saying that the chants would die down and that it was just a phase they were going through (or the 'ole Bizarro Land argument that used to plague wrestling audiences in Toronto and elsewhere).

somedevil

WWE Viewership for 1/28:

hour 1: 4.849
hour 2: 4.837
hour 3: 4.470

Avg: 4.719

The usual 3rd hour drop not as bad as last week but with Raw 3 hours is too long to keep viewers attached on the 3rd hour. They leave and then come back for the closing angle.

kirblar

3 hours is just way too much. No one wants mid-card guys going 15 minutes every week except for the kind of internet smarks you really don't want to listen to.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
3 hour Raws can be fine if they structure it right. Make the first hour something different, then at the 1hr mark, switch to full-time Raw and make that shit special.

Problem is, that won't be the case if he's properly built right. But the problem is this is current WWE, who can't build right.

Plus I doubt most people can build it right with only 1 ppv in the way. The turkey can't be cooked before Mania, guys!

and it's fucking stupid, because then what? Worthless.

it's crazy cause it's a cycle. Bryan becomes champion, becomes one of the 2 type of face champions WWE can book:

- Cena style: no-sell, overcome the odds, boring and obnoxious pandering promos (this last one Bryan already does)

or

- Rey style: made to look like shit, job every week

either way people will get tired of their toy, 50/50 audiences, "man, someone else should get the title, tired of seeing Bryan slap the lock out of nowhere" complaining, Bryan gets demoted and Vince goes "see, i was right all along".

UberTag

can we just talk our next real champion?

I mean Batista
Big Dave looks like shit. And, unlike a good number of you, I've been down on his return since it was first announced.

Looks like the WWE has decided to take a page from Matt Stone & Trey Parker and book one of their biggest matches of the year at the absolute last minute...

Backstage News on WWE Royal Rumble Match Changes, Head Agent of the Match

The head agent of the match is Jamie Noble, who may be taking some blame for the lack of interesting spots. Other than Kofi Kingston, who always seems to have a big highlight in the match, backstage officials are saying that there was nothing memorable. A major reason to potentially look at is that WWE officials did not start mapping out the plan for the match until 6pm, which was only a few hours before the show went live from Pittsburgh.

3 hours is just way too much. No one wants mid-card guys going 15 minutes every week except for the kind of internet smarks you really don't want to listen to.
It's not even JUST that. It's that they book these 10-15 minute matches and they don't lead to feuds getting built. Nobody gets pushed. It's just a filler match with uninvested commentators who act like they could give a shit about the product and that they're just sitting there to goof off and call a nothing match with no story until the next fucking commercial airs.

RAW is intolerable garbage.

kirblar

Bryan needs a Bret Hart style title reign. Just being that champion who has long great matches but ends up winning in the end.
HHH repeatedly got guys over as Champ by barely squeaking out clean title wins before Foley elevated him. Bryan could easily do that as a face (heck, look what that match on Sunday did for Bray.)

If Punk had disappeared forever after July 17th, 2011 it would be remembered as one of the best wrestling storylines ever.

The problem with wrestling is that the story has to continue past the climax because we've got another show tomorrow night in Cleveland.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If Punk had disappeared forever after July 17th, 2011 it would be remembered as one of the best wrestling storylines ever.

The problem with wrestling is that the story has to continue past the climax because we've got another show tomorrow night in Cleveland.

Yeah. It can't lay still for long. What they've been doing with Lesnar is nothing short of a miracle. The machine NEVER stops.

Rapstah

If they can't show highlights from the Rumble match because the crowd was furiously booing it when all of the things that were probably planned as highlights hit near the end, then it's hardly the fault of the road agent.

kirblar

If they can't show highlights from the Rumble match because the crowd was furiously booing it when all of the things that were probably planned as highlights hit near the end, then it's hardly the fault of the road agent.
The Rumble this year had a LOT of downtime where too many guys were in the ring clogging it up.

G-Fex

Big Dave looks like shit. And, unlike a good number of you, I've been down on his return since it was first announced.

Looks like the WWE has decided to take a page from Matt Stone & Trey Parker and book one of their biggest matches of the year at the absolute last minute...

Backstage News on WWE Royal Rumble Match Changes, Head Agent of the Match

It's not even JUST that. It's that they book these 10-15 minute matches and they don't lead to feuds getting built. Nobody gets pushed. It's just a filler match with uninvested commentators who act like they could give a shit about the product and that they're just sitting there to goof off and call a nothing match with no story until the next fucking commercial airs.

RAW is intolerable garbage.

THE ANIMAL BATISTA

*cough cough wheeze* H-hold on...give me a minute.

Rapstah

The Rumble this year had a LOT of downtime where too many guys were in the ring clogging it up.

Sure, I felt there was like five minutes between the last guy entering and anything happening, but highlights would obviously cut out those parts. I feel like there were probably three or four highlights they could have shown. Kofi, Goldust eliminating Cody, Reigns eliminating his partners, Kofi II, Batista doing something I guess?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only person here who thinks Lillian Garcia is smoking hot?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
you like horses brah?

guess I do

orSS6El.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it

No, because that storyline fucking sucks if the guy doesn't return for the big payoff match against the new champion. Just ask Dixie lol. They ruined the angle by rushing the aftermath and inserting Nash and Hunter into it, but that has nothing to do with him not actually leaving.

Son Of D

If Orton vs Batista does happen for Mania I wonder what they'll do to try and create excitement for the match. Austin as Special Referee?

Regardless, the crowd's going to shit on it. Probably not Lesnar vs Goldberg levels but it will be shat on.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
how much raiders fanfiction have you written?

"The Raiders and Indiana Jones Chase for the Lost Ark" - Lovingly Crafted by Sokantish. 700pages. Rated MA for hardcore fucking and docking scenes.

Top Bottom