• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

03.jpg

G-Fex

I don't understand why Southern is in its own aisle to begin with, though. The same things in the aisle under that banner are found everywhere else in the store. The Southern aisle has things like...mashed potatoes and flour. This is Indiana. Soul food is pretty popular and common all over the state. And most of soul food is common and popular all over the country, which makes no sense to me as to why it is labeled under its own section with legitimate foreign food items and brands not as commonly found or used in America.

Eastern European has foods with the Star of David on them. Everything under that label has a Star of David on it.

LOL i've seen that before. I used to stock the ethnic aisle.

I too love jalapenos like laserfrog, but like you I hate beans. They get too cold way too fast and they're bland as hell anyway. barf.

Kaladin

That NXT taping sounds amazing. Live NXT show on February 27th with
Neville vs Dallas Ladder Match and Cesaro vs Zayn
? NXT is going to be the best original programming on the network.

Alucard

Banned
Seeing that Natalya AJ match again, that was clearly Nat's botch. Let the hold go too soon. Dumbass.

Yep. She should have held on until she heard the ref.

Orton/Show was pretty bad...I remember thinking the same thing when watching it live. Awful main event for Survivor Series.

Eva Marie really should have been near the top, though. Her inability to stay down was fucking infuriating.

Anth0ny

something really fucked up I just noticed

on the 50th anniversary blu ray they have the punk/cena match from Raw in 2013. that shit cut to commercials a bunch of times... and they didn't even include the full match on the blu ray. It fades to black part way through the match, then fades back in. Sloppy much?

I get that they really want people to download the app but jesus fuck

strobogo

Banned
LOL i've seen that before. I used to stock the ethnic aisle.

I too love jalapenos like laserfrog, but like you I hate beans. They get too cold way too fast and they're bland as hell anyway. barf.

I like some beans. I enjoy garbanzos, red kidney, and white beans. I don't like refried or black beans. Everything I bought was from the ethnic/World Foods aisle. Most of it was of Mexican origin, but a few Asian spices, some creole spices, and the whiskey I bought was Canadian, which is considered an ethnic group in America. I'm doing Tapatio for the first time with my salsa. Kind of nervous as it tastes fine, but the smell is not that great. I will report on the whiskey in a bit.

He now works for the Nevada State Athletic Commission under the assumed name "Keith Kizer"

That explains the recent emergence of Shayna "The Queen of Spades" Baszler, "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey, Jessamyn "The Gun" Duke, and Marina "The Supernova From Moldova" Shafir as The 4 Horsewomen of Women's MMA:

iOFiT9R7Xy5XZ.jpg

ib0rWePy1b3j7V.jpg

ib1Nkv1qJYIM9P.jpg

Shayna Baszler's got some moves too:

ib1TsnnueNSN1q.gif

She calls this one the Spadebomb
ibgCswqg5M7L0x.gif

...and the Spade-agree
ilv26kvJRJsl9.gif

...and the Spade Slam
ibiHMSiN0EDrmM.gif

And all these moves are totally legit. (She keeps kayfabe better than 90% of the roster)
iKfhCh0P1HurO.jpg

Heel

Crazy that Ronda is smarter to "this business" and less of a mark for her own gimmick than a ton of wrasslers. She knows it's all about the butts in seats and making that dollar.

All these women need to buy Lincoln Towncars.

MMA is a mark crowd and she has them in the palm of her hands. Just look at the UFC 168 thread, she has them fuming over a refused handshake and throwing a pair of socks. I'm smitten brehs.

strobogo

Banned
Update on the new brand of Canadian whiskey: It's Canadian Superior and is very similar to Crown/Canadian Hunter. Pretty solid.

lmao, Miz on commentary. "I think every tag team can be tag team champion, as long as they have the right push-uh, well, maybe push isn't the right word, uh... y'know..."

"must most watched sh-show"

i've really been noticing Miz tripping over his words on commentary on this ep of Main Event. I don't know if he's normally like this, but he's bad at basically everything so i'll just assume so. he's better than A-Ri, though!

edit: I guess Xavier normally interferes in matches like a fuckin heel, because Fandango interrupted here and it was totally justified
edit edit: When the shit did Justin Gabriel get a ponytail, pants, and dubstep theme

"must most watched sh-show"

i've really been noticing Miz tripping over his words on commentary on this ep of Main Event. I don't know if he's normally like this, but he's bad at basically everything so i'll just assume so. he's better than A-Ri, though!

edit: I guess Xavier normally interferes in matches like a fuckin heel, because Fandango interrupted here and it was totally justified
edit edit: When the shit did Justin Gabriel get a ponytail, pants, and dubstep theme

Fandango's backstage interview is the best part of this week's Main Event.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

Best of Memphis in the 80s Part 12

Randy Savage vs. Jerry Oski (5/7/85)

Oski would go on to do some job work in WWF and WCW, but is otherwise unknown to most people. The match starts clipped, even though it was introduced as a 31 minute all time classic. But when it starts, Savage is already bleeding and worn down. Oski works the arm. Savage is able to throw Oski over the top rope. Oski's manager tries to get the ref to disqualify him for it. Or maybe that's actually Savage's manager. I'm not sure. Savage won't let Oski back in the ring and keeps attacking. I guess he's the heel. Savage finally brings it back to the ring and drops an ax handle and falling lariatoo. He drops one to the floor as well. Oski briefly fires up until running into the ring post and falling to the floor. He comes back in with a sunset flip. And another. Oski kicks out of the elbow. Savage tries a pin with his feet on the ropes. The ref caught it. Oski then rolls Savage up. New champion! I don't know what the fuck Randy Hale was talking about, this was boring as fuck. Piledriver to Oski after the match.

Lanny Poffo vs. Jerry Oski (5/18/85)

Oski is jacked, which wasn't as apparent in the last match due to the dark image quality. Lanny himself has put on quite a bit of muscle over the last year. Mat wrasslin. Oski gets a spinning toe hold and turns it into a half crab. Just boring and awkward mat wrestling. Lanny is knocked to the floor. This is not interesting in the least. Considering Oski just had a boring match with Randy Savage, I'm going to assume he is at fault here. Randy Savage came out to attack Oski, causing a DQ.

Jerry Lawler v. Bruiser Brody (5/20/85)

The ref is on the floor and only there to count pinfalls. Lawler runs into a big boot in the corner. A back elbow knocks Brody down. Leap frog and drop kick from Brody. Big body slam, but Brody misses the knee drop. King misses an elbow drop. Lawler is then stomped and thrown around ringside. King is bleeding. Lots of boots to the head. King starts firing up and the strap is down. The ref stops King from doing a piledriver, so King throws the ref out of the ring. He goes back to it and some giant black dude hits the ring to cause a DQ. Spike piledriver to King. Brody walked off with King's crown.

iRHUEN5BYj4eK.gif

Jerry Lawler vs. Randy Savage Loser Leaves Town Match (6/3/85)

Macho bails and stalls right from the start. Lots and lots of stalling. King spits at Savage, which finally gets him into the match. This must be no DQ as the ref is on the floor and low blows are legal. So much stalling. After a commercial, we have a mid ring collision. King goes into the ring post. He then gets knocked from the apron to the announce table. Ax handle. King is bleeding. Savage does whatever he can to bust him open more. Savage is declared the winner by ref stoppage. King must leave Memphis! King gets on the mic and says he didn't quit and wasn't pinned, so the match should continue. The match continues. King is now all fired up. He hits a series of punches, 2 flying fist drops, and a piledriver to seen Savage out of the territory and onto greener pastures of the WWF. I believe he'd make his WWF by the end of the month.

iXmSAl9l7UJgI.gif

iFgxGChW0VpWz.gif

Fabulous Ones vs. The Sheepherders (6/22/85)

This is a different configuration of the Sheepherders, featuring neither Luke nor Butch. Before the match, there was an America love it or leave it style promo. Morgan and Stan start out. Stan quickly tags out. Stan was clearly on the juice at this time. He was huge and his giant puffy face made it pretty obvious. The Fabs and Sheepherders (all versions) had feuds all over the country from 1982-1986 or so. It was probably the biggest feud for the Fabs. Skinner falls to the floor and is jabbed in the head with a flag pole. I believe he's busted open. He plays the FIP for quite a while. He was able to make a pin, which the ref of course didn't see. Boyd then hits him with a Homey the Clown sock to win the match and titles. Stan was barely in the match at all. Eddie Marlin and another promoter took the belts and refused to allow the Sheepherders to keep the titles. A manager came out and said some shit. He somehow talked his way into the Sheepherders getting to keep the belts.

Jerry Lawler/Austin Idol vs. Michael Hayes/Terry Gordy (8/5/85)

Fucking Michael Hayes. I hate Michael Hayes. I also have a hard time believing that a guy with Austin Idol's haircut is really considered a universal hearth throb. The Birds are cleared from the ring early on. King accidentally threw a fire ball at Hayes (as you do), starting a feud between them. Gordy hits a second rope fist drop on King. He goes up again and gets slammed. Second rope punch from Idol. Idol grabs a fans cane and uses it to hook the eggs of both Birds. I'm not sure I'd want that cane back, what with all the ball sweat all over it now. Snap suplex from Gordy. Hayes is such a cunt. I would like to see the promo with King and him, but fuck him in the ring or at any point past 1986. King hits the fist drop on Gordy as Idol hits a knee to the balls seconds later. Hayes distracts the ref as Gordy does a kind of brain buster on the floor. Bulldog from Hayes. Gordy lariatooooo. Great piledriver from him as well. King got out of the second attempt. He hits a double clothesline on the Birds and makes a hot tag to Idol. King tries to throw a fireball at Hayes and accidentally gets the ref. You'd think a guy who threw as many fireballs as King would have better aim. The match is thrown out. Hayes gets a belt and starts whipping and punching with it. Gordy throws Randy Hales and steals his shoe. King and Idol fought back to end the segment.

iNxhsBklaYEKg.gif

iPasUB3IravB6.gif

ibvvdv1tfFyluw.gif

Fabulous Ones vs. The Sheepherders Steel Cage Match (8/6/85)

This looks like a fan cam. Born in the USA is blaring in the background. I don't think the Fabs understood the meaning of that song. Most of it takes place outside of the cage. The cage itself is barely taller than the top rope and one side is ripped apart right away. Just a pretty short and boring brawl. The ref was thrown and then the match was thrown out.

BONUS: This Is Your Life, Jerry Lawler

This is done by Eddie Gilbert. It's done sarcastically. Eddie asks King to come out. Eddie plays a tape of Jim White, King's first partner, sounding quite drunk. Eddie insinuates that the drunkenness was due to King casting White off and leaving him behind. He also has some footage of Sam Bass, who King also left behind. Holy fuck, Eddie is blaming King for Sam's death in an automobile accident because King insisted on flying and Sam had to drive. And one night Sam died in a car wreck while driving to a show that King flew to. Another audio clip is played, this time of Tommy Gilbert, Eddie's father. King won the title off of him by using a chain.

Next, he brings out Playboy/Plowboy Fraizer, who claims King made up a fake hometown for to make money off of him. The next clip is of King crushing Andy Kaufman (which will be covered in detail by me later). Andy also couldn't be there because he died. Brought on by King's piledrivers that probably caused Andy's cancer. The next person is Jimmy Hart (who I believe was in the WWF by this point). Eddie says the fans are ready to see the King fall and Eddie is going to be the man to do it. King says that Eddie reminds him of himself at a younger age, but he's not ready to step down any time soon (an understatement if I've ever heard one since he is still the king of Memphis 30 years later and Eddie is dead).

ibbFL2VUsFTqGn.gif

Not a very interesting disc. Of the nearly 4 hours of matches on it, I think there was all of 1 clean finish. I know DQs and non-finishes were much more common in the 80s, but this was ridiculous.

Coming up:
More Freebirds, Russians, Rick Martel, a JCP cross over, the return of Ric Flair, and the re-ignition of the Dundee/Lawler feud.

Top Bottom