• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

Jerry Lawler v. Bruiser Brody (5/20/85)

The ref is on the floor and only there to count pinfalls. Lawler runs into a big boot in the corner. A back elbow knocks Brody down. Leap frog and drop kick from Brody. Big body slam, but Brody misses the knee drop. King misses an elbow drop. Lawler is then stomped and thrown around ringside. King is bleeding. Lots of boots to the head. King starts firing up and the strap is down. The ref stops King from doing a piledriver, so King throws the ref out of the ring. He goes back to it and some giant black dude hits the ring to cause a DQ. Spike piledriver to King. Brody walked off with King's crown.
Why does his race need to be identified, racist?

http://i.minus.com/iRHUEN5BYj4eK.gif[IMG]

[B][I]Jerry Lawler/Austin Idol vs. Michael Hayes/Terry Gordy (8/5/85) [/I][/B]

Fucking Michael Hayes. I hate Michael Hayes. I also have a hard time believing that a guy with Austin Idol's haircut is really considered a universal hearth throb. The Birds are cleared from the ring early on. King accidentally threw a fire ball at Hayes (as you do), starting a feud between them. Gordy hits a second rope fist drop on King. He goes up again and gets slammed. Second rope punch from Idol. [B]Idol grabs a fans cane and uses it to hook the eggs of both Birds.[/B] I'm not sure I'd want that cane back, what with all the ball sweat all over it now. Snap suplex from Gordy. Hayes is such a cunt. I would like to see the promo with King and him, but fuck him in the ring or at any point past 1986. King hits the fist drop on Gordy as Idol hits a knee to the balls seconds later. Hayes distracts the ref as Gordy does a kind of brain buster on the floor. Bulldog from Hayes. Gordy lariatooooo. Great piledriver from him as well. King got out of the second attempt. He hits a double clothesline on the Birds and makes a hot tag to Idol. King tries to throw a fireball at Hayes and accidentally gets the ref. You'd think a guy who threw as many fireballs as King would have better aim. The match is thrown out. Hayes gets a belt and starts whipping and punching with it. Gordy throws Randy Hales and steals his shoe. King and Idol fought back to end the segment. [/quote]
Eggs, birds, I get it. Good one, Lawler.

[quote]
Fabulous Ones vs. The Sheepherders Steel Cage Match (8/6/85)[/I][/B]

This looks like a fan cam. [B]Born in the USA is blaring in the background. I don't think the Fabs understood the meaning of that song.[/B] Most of it takes place outside of the cage. The cage itself is barely taller than the top rope and one side is ripped apart right away. Just a pretty short and boring brawl. The ref was thrown and then the match was thrown out. [/quote]
It's about a Vietnam War vet that can't find a job after coming home. I can't think of a more appropriate song for a wrestler to use.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This match is super slow paced with a rookie Jumbo taking on THE GREATEST TECHNICAL WRESTLER of that era, Jack Brisco.
Jack already had 1 fall over Jumbo and then Jumbo just says 'fuck it, I gotta get a pin' and basically channels fighting spirit before it existed.
jumbohnf11.gif

and then Jack finally says, 'I've had it with this damn Jumbo kid reversing my techn-i-cool submissions, so i'm just gonna fucking punch him and show him how to do a suplex
jack2jns3f.gif

Then the finish was really fun and pretty fancy for the time. Jumbo just seconds ago hit him with a dropkick and Jack decided, I ain't falling for that shit twice.
ajkcaj9uc2.gif

WILEY VETERAN MOVE

In some ways, old wrestling is so completely basic, but I think the 70s is like golden era in a lot of ways. More advanced than what came before it where you could tell it was a wrestling match and not just two dudes having a fight, but it wasn't as choreographed as the 80s, and ESPECIALLY not as the 90s and today. You watch this stuff and go 'yeah, I can see how someone might think that's real' because a lot of it is awkward but it's awkwardness adds to the tension. Makes you think that it's just two dudes fighting.

strobogo

Banned
Why does his race need to be identified, racist?

Eggs, birds, I get it. Good one, Lawler.

It's about a Vietnam War vet that can't find a job after coming home. I can't think of a more appropriate song for a wrestler to use.

Giant black dude was this guy's gimmick. He was a nearly Mabel sized black dude and that was his gimmick.

Main Event was pretty decent, actually. all the matches leveled around good, and Kaitlyn's last match was alright. shame the last thing she ever did in WWE was getting superkicked, but what can ya do

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Every company should have archives as high quality as AJPW.

Guess that's the only good thing that company has left tho
tumblr_msrm1cc6CI1s0zdtdo1_1280.png

Vylash

Main Event was pretty decent, actually. all the matches leveled around good, and Kaitlyn's last match was alright. shame the last thing she ever did in WWE was getting superkicked, but what can ya do

My main issue with that match was the terrible transition into the front guillotine

Some of my least favorite beans are black, if that's what you're implying.
Just treat all people equally from now on.
I can't wait for her shoot interview.
Bean Breath, what would you say if I told you that I'm part-mexican and I think that Konnan is a worse wrestler than the Great Khali?
Well Professor Beef, I'd tell you that I'm officially shortening your name to "Probe" cause you can stick it, brother.

Edgeward

The finish to Main Event was sloppy, I rather they just end it with a shining wizard and end it cleanly since she isn't coming back.

strobogo

Banned
Ric Martel recaps?

Eatspopcorn.gif

Pre-Model Martel. I assume it was during or shortly after his AWA Championship run. I haven't seen a ton of pre-WWF Martel. Considering it is a one of star comes in to face Lawler match, I can pretty well assume how that match is going to go.

Pre-Model Martel. I assume it was during or shortly after his AWA Championship run. I haven't seen a ton of pre-WWF Martel. Considering it is a one of star comes in to face Lawler match, I can pretty well assume how that match is going to go.
Well hopefully a Martel recap mentions the other Martel. And the good one too

Kota Ibushi vs Hikaru Sato - (DDT 07/20/08)

This is under Hard Hit rules, so if you want to see Kota Ibushi in a shootstyle match, here you go. Seems to be a UWF-like points system, with points lost for rope breaks and whatever the ref determines to be a 'down', but KO, submission or pinfall can end the match at any moment. Interesting story, with Sato dominating the points system, but Ibushi ignoring it completely and bringing his pro-wrestling flashiness into the mix.

good stuff, Boots.

Two of the NJPW/CMLL FantasticaMania cards will be shown on iPPV;

NJPW/CMLL, "FANTASTICAMANIA", 2014.01.14
Osaka BODYMAKER Colosseum #2

Japanese Commentary | Spanish Commentary - ¥1,500 / $15

18:30 JST | 10:30 CET | 09:30 GMT | 04:30 EST | 01:30 PST

1. Titan & BUSHIROAD vs. TAKA Michinoku & Taichi
2. Stuka Jr, Fuego & Rey Cometa vs. OKUMURA, Vangelis & Niebla Roja
3. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & Maximo vs. Jado & Gedo
4. Tetsuya Naito & Volador Jr. vs. Máscara Dorada & KUSHIDA
5. La Sombra & Rush vs. Shinsuke Nakamura & Ultimo Guerrero
6. Special Six Man Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Mistico II & El Desperado vs. Kazuchika Okada, Mephisto & Rey Escorpión

NJPW/CMLL, "FANTASTICAMANIA", 2014.01.18
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

Japanese Commentary | Spanish Commentary - ¥1,500 / $15

18:30 JST | 10:30 CET | 09:30 GMT | 04:30 EST | 01:30 PST

1. 3 Way Match: Maximo vs. Jado vs. Taichi
2. Stuka Jr. & Rey Cometa vs. Yujiro Takahashi & OKUMURA
3. Tiger Mask, Titan, KUSHIDA & Fuego vs. Rey Escorpión, YOSHI-HASHI, Niebla Roja & Vangelis
4. Volador Jr. & BUSHIROAD vs. Máscara Dorada & El Desperado
5. Special Singles Match: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Rush
6. Special Six Man Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito & La Sombra vs. Kazuchika Okada, Ultimo Guerrero & Tomohiro Ishii
7. Mexican National Light Heavyweight Title: Mephisto (c) vs. Mistico II

Striker

maybe she LEGIT hates AJ and Punk

my only thing was that it looked like any move Kaitlyn did could shoot break AJ in half, but the finish was believable enough
Probably close to what Ivory said. It's all politics and not how hard you may or may not work. They'll push who they want to (Total Diva's and AJ).

strobogo

Banned
I'm reading through the Benoit thread. So weird. Especially the dude who got attacked for saying something like "Maybe they shouldn't run a tribute show until they're 100% sure he didn't kill his family". The reaction was basically "You monster, how dare you suggest a thing like that" even though at the time it was known that it wasn't uncommon for their relationship to get violent and most cases of a whole family ending up dead in their homes involves a murder/sucide at the hands of the man. I get not wanting to believe your favorite wrestler could do what Benoit did, but people were so quick to blame Nancy right away, or come up with any kind of reason that didn't involve Benoit.

There were even a few unironic references to Kevin Sullivan being involved.

DiscoJon

Banned
I'm reading through the Benoit thread. So weird. Especially the dude who got attacked for saying something like "Maybe they shouldn't run a tribute show until they're 100% sure he didn't kill his family". The reaction was basically "You monster, how dare you suggest a thing like that" even though at the time it was known that it wasn't uncommon for their relationship to get violent and most cases of a whole family ending up dead in their homes involves a murder/sucide at the hands of the man. I get not wanting to believe your favorite wrestler could do what Benoit did, but people were so quick to blame Nancy right away, or come up with any kind of reason that didn't involve Benoit.

There were even a few unironic references to Kevin Sullivan being involved.

Do you have a link to the thread? I was teaching a marching band camp the weekend that happened and completely missed everything. I still haven't watched the Benoit Tribute show to this day.

Striker

From what I remember Mr. Perfect was suppose to win in '90 but Hogan talked Vince into letting him get the Rumble win - basically to hype up his WM match with Warrior.

Hogan and Warrior did a staredown in the ring during the middle of the contest and the crowd went nuts.

Aiii

So not worth it
Mysterio makes sense in that he's popular and considering how long he's been around.

Sheamus sort of makes sense in that he has potential as a monster heel and they figured a Rumble win would push him to main event level (lol).

But Del Rio I just can't excuse.

Toki767

Just watched tonight's Impact.

I just had to laugh at Magnus possibly injuring himself going outside the ring.

I also think this just shows once again that any time TNA tries to copy WWE, they end up looking second rate. That match was more of an angle than a match. At least when WWE did it, they tried to make it seem like a big deal. Not that it was.

G-Fex

Mysterio makes sense in that he's popular and considering how long he's been around.

Sheamus sort of makes sense in that he has potential as a monster heel and they figured a Rumble win would push him to main event level (lol).

But Del Rio I just can't excuse.

I suppose I agree!

Hacksaw always sucked. Just like Brutus Beefcake and Surfer Sting.

immP8Kap1bqkq.gif

Think it over creep

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Thank you for proving my point. That's Robocop 2 Robocop. Robocop 1 Robocop wouldn't be caught dead teaming with that spray tan freak.

Kota Ibushi vs Hikaru Sato - (DDT 07/20/08)

This is under Hard Hit rules, so if you want to see Kota Ibushi in a shootstyle match, here you go. Seems to be a UWF-like points system, with points lost for rope breaks and whatever the ref determines to be a 'down', but KO, submission or pinfall can end the match at any moment. Interesting story, with Sato dominating the points system, but Ibushi ignoring it completely and bringing his pro-wrestling flashiness into the mix.
So good.

Top Bottom