• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

UZyxA25.jpg

bean, I'd wear Stingified-Plywood if you wear Stingified-Aiii.

You also forgot to Stingify Lambda's avatar.

Striker

Mysterio makes sense in that he's popular and considering how long he's been around.

Sheamus sort of makes sense in that he has potential as a monster heel and they figured a Rumble win would push him to main event level (lol).

But Del Rio I just can't excuse.
Mysterio made sense because he was popular in that time and because of, well, Eddie. Del Rio and Sheamus I'm sure they had plans for - at the time. It's simply, especially for ADR, they've done nothing with them since in terms of smart booking. There's no direction.

Vylash

Sheamus was fine, awful character aside he puts on great matches, is over, and they can get some mileage out of him

Del Rio is the same except for the being over part

Striker

Sheamus was fine, awful character aside he puts on great matches, is over, and they can get some mileage out of him

Del Rio is the same except for the being over part
You look back a winners like Lesnar and Batista winning. You knew they were getting pushed and heading somewhere. For surprise-type winners like ADR and Sheamus they needed to have bigger impact, and Vince, Stephanie or whoever failed to deliver. It's still the Orton and Cena show.

Vylash

You look back a winners like Lesnar and Batista winning. You knew they were getting pushed and heading somewhere. For surprise-type winners like ADR and Sheamus they needed to have bigger impact, and Vince, Stephanie or whoever failed to deliver. It's still the Orton and Cena show.

Absolutely, they completly dropped the ball on future booking as usual, but their choices at least made sense at the time

Roderick Strong's off the EVOLVE shows;

Roderick Strong suffered a graphic neck injury last weekend. We had constant communication with Strong since the injury and monitored his progress. We were all the under the impression he would be able to perform this weekend at EVOLVE. However, today he felt discomfort in his neck when he worked out. After a conference call today, it was decided that for Roderick's future it was best he rest as a precaution. Roderick will still be at Friday's EVOLVE 25 card to sign autographs and meet you. We will welcome him in the DGUSA/EVOLVE ring when he is ready.

now, now, i only know one Cung Lee and that ain't him.

Whoops, that was meant to be Chung Lee :p

Kaladin

Roderick Strong's off the EVOLVE shows;

I'm actually glad I opted to not go at this point. His match would have been a highlight of either show I had chosen to attend.

Instead, I'm all set to watch all three events on iPPV this weekend. Hoping Evolve delivers with their new equipment.

It's going to be a wrasslin heavy weekend. I also plan on catching up with ROH Final Battle and New Japan's Wrestle Kingdom.

gurudyne

That Royal Rumble picture is wrong--Big Show won in 2000. HHH reversed the refs' decision when Show found video of the Rock's feet touching the floor first.

Mysterio makes sense in that he's popular and considering how long he's been around.

Sheamus sort of makes sense in that he has potential as a monster heel and they figured a Rumble win would push him to main event level (lol).

But Del Rio I just can't excuse.

Sheamus is main event level. He was one of the most over people in the company. If the IWC like his character or not (Which I expect is the case for some of the hate he gets) is entirely irrelevant.

Kaladin

Gabe Sapolsky said:
Everyone is talking about the WWE Network, and rightfully so. It is an out-of-the-box, game changer. WWE is basically sacrificing it's DVD and PPV revenue in an effort to gain leverage to negotiate sky high TV rights. They believe their future business model will depend on TV right fees and not the traditional DVD/PPV market. They might be right, this might backfire on them, but either way this is the gutsiest thing they have done since the late 90s and the biggest game changer since Vince McMahon wiped out the territories and went national in the 80s.

So where does this leave independent wrestling?

Promotions like Dragon Gate USA, EVOLVE, SHINE and Full Impact Pro are as mom-and-pop as it gets. WWE is Walmart. The WWNLive Family are the neighborhood grocery store that prides itself on delivering the highest quality and more personal service while adding to the community.

We are dependent on your DVD, iPPV and ticket sales. There will never be a huge TV deal in our future. You can see what happens when networks get involved. Then we wouldn't be who we are. So we are not in a position to take the gamble WWE is sucking us all into with the WWE Network.

Just like Walmart did to the mom-and-pop, WWE is giving you a product at a price that the small guy can't compete with. WWE's goal is to use all this content for $10 a month to bump up the subscribers and then leverage that into more TV fees. In the process, they are lowering the price expectations consumers have for DVDs, PPV and iPPV, similar to what Walmart did for a loaf of bread.

Now we can whine and cry, beg for your business cause we "deserve" it because we bring you good wrestling, or we can do something about it. We can get fired up and figure out ways to produce a more interesting, exciting and creative product to you. This is our attitude going into EVOLVE tonight, tomorrow and Sunday nights.

Whether we like it or not, WWE just aggressively changed the game. They are taking a major risk and doing it balls-to-the-wall. We must adapt to keep your support and interest.

Evolve or die.

This is the wake up call.

The latest email from Gabe Sapolsky has a bit on his reaction to the WWE Network. I edited out the plugs for this weekend's Evolve events.

Downhome

Concerning the WWE Network, do you guys believe they have created a situation where they can't go back again? Lets say they do this and it does just "ok" for the first year, time goes by, does just ok, but there is no growth like they require. Lets say it gets to the point where they start to consider ditching the entire thing and desire to go back to the way things were before it. After giving so much, at such a low price, could they ever do a reversal and succesfully charge people $50+ for a three hour PPV again?

Aiii

So not worth it
With more and more people cutting the cable and moving to the internet, PPV is a dying business anyways. WWE are smart to be on the forefront of this and not wait until it's dead to move on to a new business model.

somedevil

Direct TV Response written by a Teenager:

Satellite television company DirecTV is threatening to eliminate WWE pay-per-views now that WWE is making them available to WWE Network subscribers as part of a $9.99 per month (with a six month commitment) membership fee. DirecTV issued the following press release to the L.A. Times. "Clearly we need to quickly re-evaluate the economics and viability of their business with us, as it now appears the WWE feels they do not need their PPV distributors, has been steadily declining, and this new low-cost competitive offering will only accelerate this trend."

Man, what salt from them as this is a major company releasing a statement like this.

Also Vince turned this idea down:

Vince McMahon stated in an interview with the Los Angeles Times that he rejected plans for a commercial cable network and a pay channel model similar to HBO. In fact, WWE had deals on the table with major distributors that would have generated fees of 20 cents per month, per subscriber. "I said, much tot he chagrin of my staff, I'm not going to sign it," Vince McMahon said. He added that the terms pay-television distributors wanted as "too restrictive." Read more at LAtimes.com.

Kaladin

Concerning the WWE Network, do you guys believe they have created a situation where they can't go back again? Lets say they do this and it does just "ok" for the first year, time goes by, does just ok, but there is no growth like they require. Lets say it gets to the point where they start to consider ditching the entire thing and desire to go back to the way things were before it. After giving so much, at such a low price, could they ever do a reversal and succesfully charge people $50+ for a three hour PPV again?

I doubt it. This sets a precedent for price and the difference is so steep I doubt they could go back without extreme backlash. It's like when iTunes set the standard for music at .99 per song or 9.99 per album. It changed the whole CD buying industry because stores could charge up to $20 per album at varying prices before that. They still try to charge more, but people don't buy as often as they do at that sweet spot of .99/9.99.

Downhome

This is from PWI, wow, lol...

http://pwinsider.com/article/82754/top-returning-name-already-getting-heat-within-wwe.html?p=1

Although he hasn't even officially made his return to WWE TV, former WWE World champion Batista is already making waves within the locker room following comments made on Twitter.
During Raw, after defeating Sin Cara, Alberto Del Rio announced he was entering the Royal Rumble and cut a promo regarding the returning Batista.

Batista responded via Twitter asking, "Who is Alberto Del Rio?"

Del Rio wrote back to Batista via Twitter, "I'm the one wining all the major titles while u were getting ur ass kick by your plumber (Vince lucero) See u at the rumble".

Vince Lucero was the MMA fighter Batista defeated in October 2012 in his first and only professional MMA bout.

Batista then cryptically wrote, "Seems 2 me that some C level stars in a B level star era have bought into their own hype. Don’t turn a work into a shoot. #realitycheck"

While the Tweet was deleted at some point yesterday, Batista's comments have been a big topic of discussion among wrestlers in the company who felt he pretty much buried the entire locker room in one fell swoop. One person compared them to Triple H once saying Undertaker was the only person worthy of wrestling him in the entire locker room.

Since it's assumed Batista is returning to the company and walking into a main event level bout at Wrestlemania, there are already some ruffled feathers among talents and the comments were hardly the best way for him to ingratiate himself back into the locker room.

Batista is set to return to Raw on the 1/20 episode broadcast from Dayton, Ohio. It's believed he signed a multi-year deal with the company.

I love Batista so much, ha.

I hope he returns to TV just like he was when he left - the goofy styling, cocky, insane badass. These tweets go right along with that.

Heel

Del Rio wrote back to Batista via Twitter, "I'm the one wining all the major titles while u were getting ur ass kick by your plumber (Vince lucero) See u at the rumble".

Scathing truth enhanced by the fact that Dos Caras Jr. would mop the floor with Dave.

Top Bottom