• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
No doubt Ascension got buried fucking hard. I wonder if HHH is mad at pops.

I laughed when Bradshaw pointed out "I haven't even heard of these guys they just beat". I mean sure we all know it, but the announce team pointing out that jobbers are jobbers is a first for me. Way to completely invalidate the squash match they just had. Pissed me off and I don't even like Ascension.

Man, that fucking Roman promo deserves to be in one of those cringe compilations.

I think the thing I struggle the most to understand is that when the guys writing your scripts are so clearly fucking TERRIBLE at what they do, would it really be the worst thing if you just tossed the script out of the window and let these dudes cut a promo for themselves? Sure, some would sink, but a lot would swim. Also, you're asking these guys to be actors and even the very best actor would struggle to be enthused by a terrible script - almost everyone who faces the backstage camera in WWE looks like they know that what they're about to say is fucking dogshit.

Cagey

Banned
Given a bunch of cringe-worthy nerdy comic book nonsense to pretend sounds like some real gully shit to say to a dude before you fight them, Roman did the best that could be done.

I don't understand how that garbage gets written, edited, reviewed, and approved.

Fox318

Man, that fucking Roman promo deserves to be in one of those cringe compilations.

I think the thing I struggle the most to understand is that when the guys writing your scripts are so clearly fucking TERRIBLE at what they do, would it really be the worst thing if you just tossed the script out of the window and let these dudes cut a promo for themselves? Sure, some would sink, but a lot would swim. Also, you're asking these guys to be actors and even the very best actor would struggle to be enthused by a terrible script - almost everyone who faces the backstage camera in WWE looks like they know that what they're about to say is fucking dogshit.
Shame is listen to Reigns when he isn't reading a script. He seems like a pretty chill dude.

jmdajr

There is still hope for Reigns once he goes heel.

It took a good while for Batista to find his groove. Reigns just needs some friends to hug.

Fox318

Given a bunch of cringe-worthy nerdy comic book nonsense to pretend sounds like some real gully shit to say to a dude before you fight them, Roman did the best that could be done.

I don't understand how that garbage gets written, edited, reviewed, and approved.
LDTIGHr.jpg

Xater

Well Roman should also be smart enough to throw a script like this out.

Looking like Suzuki-gun will invade NOAH at some point, keep an eye out for the results of NOAH's Korakuen show this weekend. Some good match-ups there, TMDK vs KES, Marufuji vs Suzuki, Ohara & Kenou vs TAKA & Taichi, Kotoge vs El Desperado, etc.

I hope these matches get transferred to the NJPW shows too. TMDK vs. KES was expected after Wrestle kingdom, and Marufuji vs. Suzuki could be very good. I'd be interested in seeing Kotoge vs. El Desperado.

Are there NOAH juniors NJPW can bring in to beef up its dire junior title scene?

imBask

Banned
Those last 5 min with the music and everything were pretty funny

WK9 really was a eye opener... the wrestling on RAW is ter-ri-ble

Aiii

So not worth it

I honestly have no idea why this company is being ran the way they do. The best I can come up with is Vince is so convinced he's on-par with regular written TV, not even Soap Opera, but legit TV shows that he HAS TO have a writing staff and that whole deal to validate himself. The script can stink, the writers can be awful, but at least at the end of the day when Vince meets the other republicans at a fundraiser, he can boast how he has 20 writers on staff that write this epic serialized show.

Ithil

Never mind that it's a comic book reference, it's a comic book reference from the damn 1930s. Comic books are even in popular culture now thanks to the movies, and they can't even find a post-World War II reference to make.

Cagey

Banned
Well Roman should also be smart enough to throw a script like this out.

The internet ridiculed Vince (and Austin, by extension) for this, but Reigns or anyone else given a bunch of babytalk bullshit to say on the mic who would go off-the-cuff on live TV would be grabbing that brass ring.

Fox318

I honestly have no idea why this company is being ran the way they do. The best I can come up with is Vince is so convinced he's on-par with regular written TV, not even Soap Opera, but legit TV shows that he HAS TO have a writing staff and that whole deal to validate himself. The script can stink, the writers can be awful, but at least at the end of the day when Vince meets the other republicans at a fundraiser, he can boast how he has 20 writers on staff that write this epic serialized show.
the crazy thing is they have writers from Conan, the daily show, and other dramas.

Its not like they hired 7th graders.

I can't decide if the Skull Kid figure in the Majora's Mask 3D limited edition looks more like Booker T staring at his own hand before doing a spinaroonie or Cena doing the "You can't see me" hand sign.

jred2k

Never mind that it's a comic book reference, it's a comic book reference from the damn 1930s. Comic books are even in popular culture now thanks to the movies, and they can't even find a post-World War II reference to make.

Comparisons to Iron Man are out of the question. A 30 or 60 minute match with Roman would be a slow death.

Also, one admitted dig at the Emperor-elect, anyone else notice the RR logo is essentially a god damn shield?

W07834.jpg

I'll never be able to see anything but a Spiderman symbol.

jmdajr

As long as this is a carny business, you will never get A plus storylines from end to end. It just don't work that way.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Roman was so much better as the big mook in The Shield who rarely talked and leered over Rene. I don't know what the fuck this Roman is trying to be, but I don't like it.

No love for Zack Sabre Jr. & Yoshinari Ogawa?

Mostly just throwing out names from my most recent NOAH watchings. I didn't think Kenou was even that good when he was in M-Pro. Always felt like the second-rate Fuji Jr. But right now they just need people then they can do something like the Super Jr and figure out who they want to keep on and who they'll just use as temporary.

I'd rather have AJPW's junior roster, personally.

Hasney

Those poor fucks, what a downgrade.

Well when you get your script constantly torn up on the day it's supposed to air, your director can't give the characters any focused direction or long term booking and you're not actually working with actors, you're gonna have a bad time.

They must pay the writers well for them to stay there...

Fox318

Also, one admitted dig at the Emperor-elect, anyone else notice the RR logo is essentially a god damn shield?

W07834.jpg
They broke up the shield because they needed to give the gimmick to Reigns.

They wanted to turn Orton face and take everything that was the shield to reigns. The rumble finish for him last year was reigns lifting the other two shield members over the ropes by himself.

Make Reigns look strong

JavyOO7

As long as this is a carny business, you will never get A plus storylines from end to end. It just don't work that way.

You don't even need A plus story lines. NXT gets by just fine with basic stuff and the audience still gets invested into the characters and story. Vince just thinks his shit don't stink but it does.

jmdajr

You don't even need A plus story lines. NXT gets by just fine with basic stuff and the audience still gets invested into the characters and story. Vince just thinks his shit don't stink but it does.

I don't need it to be perfect but some expectations are just too high.

imBask

Banned
Were fans even supposed to like the show?

The heels buried the entire roster and fired all of the babyfaces except Cena who is a heel.

they're aiming for a buildup, make the heel look strong and make the faces overcome the odds which is fine in some way

the problem is that nobody actually cares and the wrestling is bad

hamchan

Well this Ambrose vs Wyatt ambulance match is pretty damn good so far even with a not loud crowd. Dean selling that hurt leg the whole match, jumping from the ambulance through the table oh wait dean loses rofl lol

Ithil

Comparisons to Iron Man are out of the question. A 30 or 60 minute match with Roman would be a slow death.

I'll never be able to see anything but a Spiderman symbol.

Never mind that Reigns literally done an Iron Man pose for his super manpunch.

Aiii

So not worth it
they're aiming for a buildup, make the heel look strong and make the faces overcome the odds which is fine in some way

the problem is that nobody actually cares and the wrestling is bad

Why would you care? They fired three guys, so what? They'll all be back either next week or the week after that at most. All the firing storylines are bullshit, Cena was fired and never missed a show, Punk was back in under two weeks, Big Show came back in a week, The Authority was back after a month... And that's just the few examples I can remember from the past few years.

Why would anyone buy a storyline like this if they do them all the time and never follow through on any of them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Everything about modern WWE feels like it was booked by a computer. 'Character A's merch percentage is at this amount with a forecast to sell this amount, so he needs this percentage of TV time. A win over Character D has a chance to increase sells of merch by 2% while only negatively effecting Character D's sales by 1% giving us a 1% profit'

With no planning for attachment, gaining new audiences, or the general long term of these individuals that work for you.

imBask

Banned
Why would you care? They fired three guys, so what? They'll all be back either next week or the week after that at most. All the firing storylines are bullshit, Cena was fired and never missed a show, Punk was back in under two weeks, Big Show came back in a week, The Authority was back after a month... And that's just the few examples I can remember from the past few years.

Why would anyone buy a storyline like this if they do them all the time and never follow through on any of them.

because it worked a couple of time in the attitude era with the iconic "YOUUUUU'RE FIIIIARREREREED" and they're trying to reproduce that

but yeah, well all know they'll be back next week it's stupid, i'm sick of it

Cagey

Banned
Everything about modern WWE feels like it was booked by a computer. 'Character A's merch percentage is at this amount with a forecast to sell this amount, so he needs this percentage of TV time. A win over Character D has a chance to increase sells of merch by 2% while only negatively effecting Character D's sales by 1% giving us a 1% profit'

With no planning for attachment, gaining new audiences, or the general long term of these individuals that work for you.

A Syfy-level sci-fi storyline more interesting than what we're currently getting.

I don't need it to be perfect but some expectations are just too high.

WWE puts a greater emphasis on storytelling outside of the ring and, as such, I don't think it's at all unreasonable for people to expect a bit of competence in that regard, rather than feeling like they're wasting their time.

strobogo

Banned
Why does a dude who doesn't even watch WWE shows anymore keep starting the day with a ton of negativity about said shows he doesn't watch? It's really a bummer to start the day with a blast of negativity over and over, especially when that person isn't even watching the shit.

Aiii

So not worth it
Probably because that guy doesn't hate himself so much he has to project his hatred on to other people to feel better about himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom