• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
Most of my friends and co-workers don't understand why I watch wrestling. I was free of it for about a decade before coming back in, too. They wonder how a guy with an MA and a career in teaching can be into this carny shit. But here I am, defending this carny shit to my grave. Stuff like Wrestle Kingdom reminds me why I stick around. JR had a great line near the end where he said "I will never be ashamed to call myself a wrestling fan." It's the majestic human drama that can unfold which makes me come back for more.

I'd take a stunner if it meant dating her.

Awh HELLL YEAHHH!

Most of my friends and co-workers don't understand why I watch wrestling. I was free of it for about a decade before coming back in, too. They wonder how a guy with an MA and a career in teaching can be into this carny shit. But here I am, defending this carny shit to my grave. Stuff like Wrestle Kingdom reminds me why I stick around. JR had a great line near the end where he said "I will never be ashamed to call myself a wrestling fan." It's the majestic human drama that can unfold which makes me come back for more.

I'm never ashamed to admit enjoying the things I do. But wrestling is certainly one of the harder things to explain why I enjoy it so much to people like your co-workers. It's by all means pretty fucking stupid. But that defense of like.. I get invested in these characters and stories and I admire them for working all year round with no off season unless they get injured, and even then they still work depending on how serious of an injury it is. I just tend to go for the explanation of how I loved it since I was a kid and it's probably more real than a vast majority of films and television that they watch. It's pre-determined, sure, but gravity isn't fake and these people put their bodies through hell to tell stories that other forms of media are unable to.

I dunno.

Right, but who cares? Daniel Bryan's back! Sami Zayn is the champ! Fuck Roman Reigns! Chanting "yes!" is much more fun than confronting the woeful representations of race in American pro wrestling.

I feel like more people are ok with the depiction of different ethnicities in pro wrestling than the depiction of women. People are saying just don't watch instead of actually doing something that could have a positive change.

jmdajr

We don't even understand. Main reason like Neo would say..."Because I choose to."

Alucard

Banned
We don't even understand. Main reason like Neo would say..."Because I choose to."

In a way, yeah. There is some willful ignorance that I have to use to not get overly upset about the bullshit misogyny and racism that still exist in wrestling today.

Pieces of shit like Michael Hayes and Kevin Dunn can get the fuck out of the biggest company there is, and I'd be happier for it.

UberTag

I'm honestly really looking forward to the Rumble.

Either the Roman empire is going to crash and burn in the most glorious fashion or WWE is going to perform some unholy black magic to stop Reigns from getting Batista'd after Bryan gets tossed out.
Bryan will soon get adopted as Roman's "little buddy".
Roman will get revenge on whomever eliminates his "little buddy" from the Rumble and Bryan will "yes yes yes" with Roman in the ring to help his Rumble win get over.

Alfred Konuwa of the Bleacher Report tells it like it is.

Unless Vince McMahon dies sometime between now and the 25th, Roman Reigns is winning that match.

Incidentally, Royal Rumble tickets are now an OUTRAGEOUS $518.28 on average. That's obscene.
You could likely pay less to get round-trip tickets to Toronto and decent seats to see Shinsuke Nakamura and Kazuchika Okada wrestle not one but two shows this coming May.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Unless you are The Ascension.

Or Emma.

Or Xavier Woods.

Or Summer Rae.

But this works both ways. SEE: Mr. Imperfect, Titus O'Neal, Tyson Kidd, etc.
Yep, WWE literally signs these people knowing full well they don't believe they have any "it" factor in them and they then piss away any potential revenue they could have making these people act like fools week in and week out. Yet they wonder why their roster outside of a few can't draw a dime.

I wonder if Austin is close with his kids. Maybe he is just really private or there is massive heat between him and his ex wives.

I wonder if he just said what whenever boys would ask for permission to date his daughter. And then say how they haven't paid enough dues to main event with his daughter.

Saw this horrifying picture of Dusty and thought it'd make a great avatar, if anyone wants it;

m9C5UYD.jpg

Also, rewatched WK9, the English broadcast this time - thought JR did a great job, all things considered. Striker was a mixed bag, he did fine keeping providing context and feeding JR information, but was also a bit cringe inducing on occasion. I think Tanahashi/Okada is my MOTN, second time around. Ibushi/Nakamura was fantastic, but I think the main event told a more complete story. One of those matches that reminds you why Tanahashi's the man. Sakuraba/Suzuki was amazing as well and I enjoyed Ishii/Makabe, but holy fuck was that uncomfortable to watch. Ishii's a crazy bastard.

dream

I feel like more people are ok with the depiction of different ethnicities in pro wrestling than the depiction of women. People are saying just don't watch instead of actually doing something that could have a positive change.

Do you think these people actually WANT change? This is a formula that works, has worked, and will work, and the only possible explanation I can think of for its success is that WWE and their ilk are giving the audience what they want: latent homoeroticism, implicit and explicit racism, and rampant misogyny.

I wonder if Austin is close with his kids. Maybe he is just really private or there is massive heat between him and his ex wives.
I would love if Austin goes to his marriage counselor and describes any sort of rift between him and his former wives as "massive heat" lol.

Thorakai

So since getting moved to the main roster is a death sentence for NXT talent do you think some NXT guys are begging not to be moved up?

Only if they are marks for themselves or millenials. Going to the main roster is gonna get you higher pay and much greater recogtion that you can flaunt if you ever end up back in the indies or other big promotions.

Alucard

Banned
Saw this horrifying picture of Dusty and thought it'd make a great avatar, if anyone wants it;

m9C5UYD.jpg

Also, rewatched WK9, the English broadcast this time - thought JR did a great job, all things considered. Striker was a mixed bag, he did fine keeping providing context and feeding JR information, but was also a bit cringe inducing on occasion. I think Tanahashi/Okada is my MOTN, second time around. Ibushi/Nakamura was fantastic, but I think the main event told a more complete story. One of those matches that reminds you why Tanahashi's the man. Sakuraba/Suzuki was amazing as well and I enjoyed Ishii/Makabe, but holy fuck was that uncomfortable to watch. Ishii's a crazy bastard.

I need to rewatch Ishii and Makabe. I thought their opening exchanges looked pretty weak and sawft, but I ended up really liking the match by the end, despite the shitty-looking forearm strikes in the beginning.

I need to rewatch Ishii and Makabe. I thought their opening exchanges looked pretty weak and sawft, but I ended up really liking the match by the end, despite the shitty-looking forearm strikes in the beginning.

The real hard-hitting stuff were those goddam lariats, especially later on when Makabe was just clubbing Ishii in the side of his neck. Sick German suplex as well, Ishii's poor shoulder. And there was a nasty-ass knife edge chop to the throat from Ishii that I winced at, vicious.

somedevil

Is Ishii's shoulder still fucked up from the G1? goddamn man take it easy

He is doing a rematch at the next New Japan show. So get ready for more suplexes to the shoulder.

Is he so afraid that if he gets surgery he would lose his spot? I know the guy was a jobber for years before they gave him the push but he should trust that when he comes back he will be in the same spot.

Dante

So since getting moved to the main roster is a death sentence for NXT talent do you think some NXT guys are begging not to be moved up?

I read somewhere that NXT does not pay well, so I imagine despite shitty creative nobody is clamoring to stay down in developmental.

Paracelsus

2014 WWE was comparable to 2004 Smackdown as in they had desperate need for stars to build. RAW was building Orton and Batista, Smackdown kept pushing JBL despite bad ratings so he could be fed to Cena.

Let's look at how Cena made it to the top:

Face Turn (Q4 2003) -> US Title -> Stripped (face push) -> Booker T feud (won) -> Carlito feud with stolen title (face push/won) -> gets title stolen again by Jordan (face push) -> Takes down JBL

Now Batista

Not a single meaningful feud for all of 2004 -> after Orton is kicked out they start making him look uncomfortable with Evolution, little by little -> After RR2005 they have HHH play mind games on him -> Face turn one month before WM21

It's absurd how WWE has dropped the ball on literally every single potential major player they have. They had even started building Edge for later on, while right now we have Wyatt who lost all credibility, Ambrose who is constantly buried by someone with no credibility, who is Rollins?, and Reigns who gets booed whenever he tries to woo the crowd, even Ryback was more over than him.

Mahonay

Banned
2014 WWE was comparable to 2004 Smackdown as in they had desperate need for stars to build. RAW was building Orton and Batista, Smackdown kept pushing JBL despite bad ratings so he could be fed to Cena.

Let's look at how Cena made it to the top:

Face Turn (Q4 2003) -> US Title -> Stripped (face push) -> Booker T feud (won) -> Carlito feud with stolen title (face push/won) -> gets title stolen again by Jordan (face push) -> Takes down JBL

Now Batista

Not a single meaningful feud for all of 2004 -> after Orton is kicked out they start making him look uncomfortable with Evolution, little by little -> After RR2004 they have HHH play mind games on him -> Face turn one month before WM21

It's absurd how WWE has dropped the ball on literally every single potential major player they have. They had even started building Edge for later on, while right now we have Wyatt who lost all credibility, Ambrose who is constantly buried by someone with no credibility, who is Rollins?, and Reigns who gets booed whenever he tries to woo the crowd, even Ryback was more over than him.
It takes some impressive doing for the writing to be as bad as it is right now. It quite literally reads like a 12 year old who wrote the show the day before it airs.

If there was still a competing pro wrestling federation on TV, they would be bleeding viewers at an alarming rate.

They are SO fucking lucky that NXT exists right now, or I imagine most of the hardcore fan base would have set sail already. NXT is the only thing stopping this from being The New Generation all over again, only worse.

Mahonay

Banned
Everyone's saying how WWE hasn't created any stars. I think they are doing a pretty good job with Seth Rollins at the moment.
Are people saying that?

I think most people actually agree that their talent is quite strong at the moment.

The problem starts with the writing, and ends with the commentary. I think that's generally accepted.

He is doing a rematch at the next New Japan show. So get ready for more suplexes to the shoulder.

Is he so afraid that if he gets surgery he would lose his spot? I know the guy was a jobber for years before they gave him the push but he should trust that when he comes back he will be in the same spot.

I think it has less to do with spot protection and more to do with stubbornness.

If Ishii feels he can raise his stock through the time honored tradition of milking an injury however, then that's not too smart

Do you think these people actually WANT change? This is a formula that works, has worked, and will work, and the only possible explanation I can think of for its success is that WWE and their ilk are giving the audience what they want: latent homoeroticism, implicit and explicit racism, and rampant misogyny.

Judging by all the Roman Reigns gifs here, I'd guess many watch for the homoeroticism, not that there is anything wrong with that. Personally they might as well combine everything into one character. Have a gay white man who hates black people and beats his live in boyfriend.

dream

Judging by all the Roman Reigns gifs here, I'd guess many watch for the homoeroticism, not that there is anything wrong with that. Personally they might as well combine everything into one character. Have a gay white man who hates black people and beats his live in boyfriend.

Isn't that Adam Rose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom