• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he starts in with some bullshit that I only know exists because I saw a thread in the OT called "RANDOM ACTOR RUMORED TO PLAY STARSHOOTER DUO MEMBER BOBBY BLAZIN IN MCU MOVIE STARSHOOTERS: AUTUMN ARMAGEDDON", I'm officially turning into Brutus.

You seem really torn up about a guy with a move called the superman punch is making superman references

Sephzilla

now we're talking

Liar > Truman > Ace Ventura 1 > Dumb and Dumber > Mask

I'd go D&D > Liar > Ace Ventura 1/2 > Mask > Forever

Truman and Cable Guy I think are too different to rank with his prime 90s flicks. Batman Forever is basically Jim Carrey playing an amalgamation of all of his other 90's characters with a touch of 60's Riddler thrown in

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You seem really torn up about a guy with a move called the superman punch is making superman references

We should refer to Reigns as "Big Blue" as Vince will no doubt have issues understanding.

imBask

Banned
I'd go D&D > Liar > Ace Ventura 1/2 > Mask > Forever

Truman and Cable Guy I think are too different to rank with his prime 90s flicks. Batman Forever is basically Jim Carrey playing an amalgamation of all of his other 90's characters with a touch of 60's Riddler thrown in

he was a decent Riddler but I hated the movie

Truman was so damn good I love it so much

Sephzilla

he was a decent Riddler but I hated the movie

Truman was so damn good I love it so much

I think Jim Carrey today would make a better Riddler than 90's Carrey. Also having a better script/director would help. Carrey as Riddler should have been a much bigger slam dunk than it ended up being, it's possibly the greatest fuckup Schumacher made with Batman. He pretty much needed to simply copy/paste the animated series Riddler into the movie and be done, but didnt

strobogo

Banned
The thing that made the Bond movies interesting to me was that I'd never seen them. When you bring up all these other big franchises, I've seen them all so many times.

Also I'm about 30 minutes into Austin Powers and it's actually less funny getting the references. It's barely even a parody. It's just a straight rip off almost on the level of the X Movies mixed with weird Canadian humor. I can't tell how much of me not finding it funny now is due to age or knowing the Bond stuff now. It's just so...mid to late 90s.

imBask

Banned
I think Jim Carrey today would make a better Riddler than 90's Carrey. Also having a better script/director would help. Carrey as Riddler should have been a much bigger slam dunk than it ended up being, it's possibly the greatest fuckup Schumacher made with Batman.

idk man, seeing those trailers for D&D2 makes me wanna puke. He's so old and the jokes seem so out of touch...

jmdajr

Stro review suggestion: The 90s Jim Carrey run

-Ace Ventura Pet Detective
-The Mask
-Dumb and Dumber
-Batman Forever
-Ace Ventura When Nature Calls
-The Cable Guy
-Liar Liar
-The Truman Show

It would at least provide a few pretty good gifs

This is a great idea!

Zach

I...totally disagree. Alien is a masterpiece of psychological sci-fi horror and has the best mood of any of the movies. Aliens is a marines and guns wankfest that is still a pretty cool action flick.

Alien is incredible. Maybe a 10 out of 10, that movie. I have Aliens on Blu-Ray, but I haven't watched it yet. I'm afraid it's going to be a Terminator 1/2 kinda thing for me. I really enjoyed the first one, but the second one was just kind of eh. I also have the Alien game. Should I play that before or after Aliens?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Alien is incredible. Maybe a 10 out of 10, that movie. I have Aliens on Blu-Ray, but I haven't watched it yet. I'm afraid it's going to be a Terminator 1/2 kinda thing for me. I really enjoyed the first one, but the second one was just kind of eh. I also have the Alien game. Should I play that before or after Aliens?

Alien Isolation really only jives with the first Alien. Dive in right now if you want.

Sephzilla

Watching Aliens before playing Isolation won't affect the game what so ever.

I'm legit shook by the slight Terminator 2 hate I'm seeing around here though.

Sephzilla

If we're looking for franchises that stro might not have seen, I'd throw the Gamera series out there for consideration

Aliens is the best out of the series imo. Can't go wrong with Alien either.

Despite being in the same franchise (and a sequel to the first movie) I find it really hard to compare Alien and Aliens mainly because they're completely different genres from one another. Honestly the smartest thing Cameron did with the sequel was turn it into an action/survival movie, a second horror movie wouldn't have worked at all.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
What about one of these franchises? Trying to think of stuff you maaaaybe haven't seen.

Lethal Weapon
The Transporter

If someone hasn't seen Lethal Weapon 1, 2, or 3 they should fix that. 4 is shit, fuck that movie. And fuck Jet Li unless he's in Once Upon A Time In China.

Zach

Alien Isolation really only jives with the first Alien. Dive in right now if you want.

Watching Aliens before playing Isolation won't affect the game what so ever.

I'm legit shook by the slight Terminator 2 hate I'm seeing around here though.

I don't hate Terminator 2. I just thought it was kind of mediocre. I also watched Jaws for the first time not too long ago and thought it was boring. I'm a weirdo.

And I think I'm going to get a new TV soon, so I'll probably wait to play Isolation on that. I guess that just gives me more time to put off Aliens. :D

Heroman

Banned
I...totally disagree. Alien is a masterpiece of psychological sci-fi horror and has the best mood of any of the movies. Aliens is a marines and guns wankfest that is still a pretty cool action flick.

I find alien to be boring as fuck, while aliens is the in my top ten action movies

If someone hasn't seen Lethal Weapon 1, 2, or 3 they should fix that. 4 is shit, fuck that movie. And fuck Jet Li unless he's in Once Upon A Time In China.
Once Upon a Time in China series is pretty fun except the one entry where they have a Jet Li replacement. It has the best wire fu around.

edit: wait, turns out there were two with the replacement guy

I really don't like comic books and super heroes and the movies and TV shows generated by it all.

I think the whole "faster than a speeding bullet" spiel is famous enough to get a pass no? Most of the audience knows what he's talking about without it being too niche

Only with less sound effects

kiguel182

Thankfully there are some sane people in here.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't hate Terminator 2. I just thought it was kind of mediocre. I also watched Jaws for the first time not too long ago and thought it was boring. I'm a weirdo.

And I think I'm going to get a new TV soon, so I'll probably wait to play Isolation on that. I guess that just gives me more time to put off Aliens. :D

Well don't put it off - Aliens IS dope. It's just completely different from Alien. It is the big-budget action movie compared to the original thriller. It's just two different worlds, and both of them are dope.

Heroman

Banned
If we're looking for franchises that stro might not have seen, I'd throw the Gamera series out there for consideration

Despite being in the same franchise (and a sequel to the first movie) I find it really hard to compare Alien and Aliens mainly because they're completely different genres from one another. Honestly the smartest thing Cameron did with the sequel was turn it into an action/survival movie, a second horror movie wouldn't have worked at all.

Man, the Gamera series might be the weridest movie series I have ever seen, no serires has had the quality shift that they have had.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Review Sister Street Fighter
tumblr_ncsjqhhpIJ1qedb29o1_500.gif

tumblr_ndbjomBZZ51ruwpoco2_500.gif

tumblr_ncsid8VgoU1qedb29o2_r1_400.gif

Aliens has just been iterated on so much by everything that it kind of loses its impact.

Not the movie's fault, but when even a film makes it way to theatres with the Final Fantasy name and is just following the same ass Aliens template you get a little bitter feeling toward the whole thing. Still like the mother vs mother climax, though.

Alien is just a masterclass in tense, suspenseful filmmaking and even featured a nice surprising wrinkle with the
android subplot

Cagey

Banned
What about one of these franchises? Trying to think of stuff you maaaaybe haven't seen.

Lethal Weapon
The Transporter

Personal Fave Five movie for me right here. Laughed so hard I cried in the theater on opening night.

Profound impact on my life, no joke. Even wound up marrying someone who looks like Lai (I tell you that's the perfect name for her, what, did she tell you we're smuggling people in containers?).

tumblr_lmia46ulLM1ql41ypo1_500.gif

She was yummy.

Just the best movie. Fucks dudes up with bike pedals. Statham the god.

I think the whole "faster than a speeding bullet" spiel is famous enough to get a pass no? Most of the audience knows what he's talking about without it being too niche

Only with less sound effects

Yeah, that's why I was referencing more obscure stuff. Superman is pop culture legend, Batman is pop culture legend, the rest occupies some weird nerdverse that has somehow broken free of its ghetto and rampaged through the rest of pop culture today =/

strobogo

Banned
Alien Isolation sucks. I don't recommend it unless you like to open doors and get annoyed to shit at random instant deaths meant just to fuck you out of saves to artificially extend play time.

Sephzilla

That's sometimes how it goes. Most accessible is most profitable.

Yeah, I just wish Cameron would go back to making more Cameron like movies. I just want to travel back to 1992 and get Cameron to make a Terminator vs RoboCop movie featuring Arnold Terminator vs Weller RoboCop.

Alien also has the best jump scare, ever. Since it's basically the only one in the film.

The air vent with Dallas?

Alien Isolation sucks. I don't recommend it unless you like to open doors and get annoyed to shit at random instant deaths meant just to fuck you out of saves to artificially extend play time.

I actually think Isolation is best played on easy mode, to be honest. On the harder modes the Alien AI gets a bit bullshit and it sours the enjoyment a little.

Personal Fave Five movie for me right here. Laughed so hard I cried in the theater on opening night.

Profound impact on my life, no joke. Even wound up marrying someone who looks like Lai (I tell you that's the perfect name for her, what, did she tell you we're smuggling people in containers?).

tumblr_lmia46ulLM1ql41ypo1_500.gif

She was yummy.

Just the best movie. Fucks dudes up with bike pedals. Statham the god.

Yeah, that's why I was referencing more obscure stuff. Superman is pop culture legend, Batman is pop culture legend, the rest occupies some weird nerdverse that has somehow broken free of its ghetto and rampaged through the rest of pop culture today =/

I loved Transporter. All 3 of them. Have you seen the TV Series on TNT? I tried watching a few episodes but it is too cheesy and needs Statham.

Alien Trilogy is a pretty gud and scary alien game, all the old ass doom mechanics, weird sprites, and rejiggering of levels and events to make it all fit is pretty surreal 8)

Cagey

Banned
I loved Transporter. All 3 of them. Have you seen the TV Series on TNT? I tried watching a few episodes but it is too cheesy and needs Statham.

Agreed, man. I watched most of the episodes but the entire time I sat there shouting I KNEW FRANK MARTIN, YOU'RE NO FRANK MARTIN.

All 3 are personal guilty pleasures of mine -- including specifically arranging a college carpool for the 2nd one to be with the guy driving an Audi, just to be in theme with the movie -- but Transporter 1 is god-tier for me. I must have seen the movie 50 times.

There's just so much to laugh at. The bad guy's name is Wall Street. WALL STREET.

They should have picked that bald dude in Blade 2 and a ton of cheesy direct to dvd action movies. TNT guy is too much of a departure from Statham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom