• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heroman

Banned
Bryan said in an interview at Summerslam about Lesnar:

I wonder what the match would look like. I bet some MMA, mat wrestling plus some New Japan style wrestling.

edit: TNA attendance was 600 for this show.

Man, it would be something to see, I hope WWE is not fucking dumb enough to not give us this match.

slap.gif

done fucked up now

Kaladin

Eh, if you want to see what Bryan vs Lesnar would look like go back and watch that Joe vs Angle match they did (I think) at Lockdown where they wrestled more of a shoot style match.

Ok, so I just finished watching WK9. Holy crap that was awesome! Does anyone know where I can get one of the banner/hooded towel whatever they're called?

Alucard

Banned
* JB came back out to hype the crowd and it seems like he's been in the ring forever. There's some grumbling in the crowd among fans. This was said to be a lot of stalling. One of our correspondents called it "pathetic." Fans were chanting "we want wrestling" at Borash.

oh my god TNA what are you doing

*Sigh*

Still hope it comes off well on television. Maybe they were doing a live backstage segment away from the crowd during that time or something.

Carnby

Izod Center for Summerslam, the second biggest PPV of the year?

Why Izod Center, a rundown dump the tenets of which couldn't wait to escape, over Prudential Center, a brand new shiny beautiful arena not 10 minutes away.

Izod Center is like traveling back in time to 1981 Penn Station.

Izod Center is a Z-tier arena.

Izod Center fucking sucks, is what I'm trying to say.

And I'll be there enjoying every second of it.

I need a best of Shinsuke Blu Ray with the utmost immediacy. Watched a little DDT today and dug the vibe of the crowd there and well Ibushi is the man so will watch more.

Any recommendations for Japanese promotions or events from 2014 besides NJPW?

strobogo

Banned
Maybe Bootaaay can help me with this

'87 Year-end in Kokugikan December 27, 1987 the two countries Kokugikan Fujinami Tatsumi & Kimura Kengo vs Masa Saito & Choshu force Antonio Inoki vs Choshu force Antonio Inoki vs Big Bang Vader

Why in the fuck is the crowd going full nWo promo from the start of the match? They won't stop throwing shit in the ring DURING the match. It's pretty crazy. What is going on?

UberTag

WWE being so afraid of Toronto is the most juvenile thing. Oh noz our precious cena is going to get boo'd. They will undermine all our creative work!
Toronto still gets house shows at the Ricoh Coliseum.
So they're not so afraid that they don't want our money.

RicohShow_zps87b6d4d2.png

And Cena fought Seth Rollins in the main event of the house show there on October 3rd... and I bet you he wasn't even booed.

It's even over the commentary too. I really hope they figure this out on future episodes. Well, I guess not being live will fix it. Is this even live or is this on tape delay?

Hey guys, just wanted to say I really appreciate some of the feedback you guys are giving me on the blog, especially considering it is not even three weeks old yet.

I hope you guys continue to support it, because I have a ton of really cool ideas I'm ready to put out there! I'm also sorry I don't post here more often than I do, just between college, social life and now the blog, I really just glance at forums and post on the sites I frequent most.

If you have no clue what I am actually talking about, check it out right here! I have already covered Minoru Suzuki and TMDK, several match reviews, made 2 (working on more) Favorite Wrestlers of 2014 post and more, and with more coming!

So, in short, I just wanted to say thanks to those taking the time to read it, it has honestly rekindled my interest in pro wrestling again and I'll try to post here much more often!

Maybe Bootaaay can help me with this

'87 Year-end in Kokugikan December 27, 1987 the two countries Kokugikan Fujinami Tatsumi & Kimura Kengo vs Masa Saito & Choshu force Antonio Inoki vs Choshu force Antonio Inoki vs Big Bang Vader

Why in the fuck is the crowd going full nWo promo from the start of the match? They won't stop throwing shit in the ring DURING the match. It's pretty crazy. What is going on?

Here's a recap of the Observer's from the time period from another board

Initial coverage

Inoki did a clean pinfall job for a newcomer named "Big Ben Bader" on 12/27 at Sumo Hall in 2:49. New Japan felt they needed Inoki feuding with a big American start to get TV ratings up. Also, this was going to be famous comedian Takeshi Kitano's first appearance and they wanted to put some heat on him in his quest to finish Inoki off. So, the mindset was that Inoki doing a job would get Kitano over and create a new Hansen/Brody level gaijin. It was the first job Inoki had done in more than two years, and before that, over 10 years.)

The card was supposed to be Inoki vs Riki Choshu in the main event, which is what drew the crowd and the high ratings. There was also a tag match advertised as "Big Ben Bader" and Masa Saito against Tatsumi Fujinami and Kengo Kimura. Before the tag was about to start, Kitano's friends grabbed the mic and challenged Inoki to a match. The fans could see where this was going and hated it, and started throwing eggs, programs, orange juice containers and beer cans at the ring. Then, Choshu came out and Saito tried to stop Choshu from starting his match with Inoki. Inoki grabbed the mic and said he would wrestle both Choshu and Bader. Fujinami and Kimura then came out for their tag match and Saito came out. Choshu didn't want to come out, but finally did. Fans were screaming "Stop! Stop this match!" when Choshu started to wrestle Kengo Kimura. He won clean with the lariat, but the fans hated it so much it didn't have a chance.

Finally, Inoki/Choshu happened but only went 6:06, although it was a hot match where Choshu bled after hitting the ringpost, and Inoki kept punching his head before applying the octopus, which caused Hiroshi Hase to run in and save Choshu and give Inoki the win by DQ. The fans started rioting again and caused so much damage in the hall that a few days later, the Tokyo Sumo Association banned pro wrestling from the Sumo Hall. Baba had already been banned from the building because he signed sumo wrestlers Hiroshi Wajima and John Tenta. Inoki is now without a building in Tokyo except for Korauken Hall, which only seats 2,000. This is devastating for them, because they sold out all but one time in 1987.

-Something happened at some point in one of the scandal mags and Kitano and his buddies beat up the reporter, so he was suspended from television.

-The news got worse for them a few days later when TV-Asahi moved them from prime time on Monday nights to Mondays at midnight. Not only will that cut down their audience, but in Japan, the networks pay the promotions money to be able to broadcast their shows. Because they're in a weaker time slot, TV-Asahi will be paying New Japan much less money. This should be effective in April.

-Inoki faces crises like these annually and always comes back, but this time, it may be the real thing, because he is banking everything on Inoki vs Takeshi Kitano while phasing down Choshu. Choshu was being hurt because Inoki was the moral victor in their match, and also because he would never get the chance to do a revenge match with Maeda (more on that below).

From the next issue

-More on the riot: It took an hour for police to stop it, and not only did the tear the building up, but almost set it on fire.

Additional aftermath

-Vader wasn't over right away despite beating Inoki, but they kept at it and he got over to the point of being a draw within a few tours.

-The loss of revenue from having their TV slot changed forced them to cut salaries. Maeda refused this and eventually quit the company, as did several others, leading to the return of UWF as a separate company. This in turn led to the creation of every shoot-style promotion in Japan and several MMA companies, most notably PRIDE.

-Takeshi's 'promotion', part of the angle, opened up a real dojo that produced Jado, Gedo and Super Delfin.

-Vader claims he was drinking beer backstage when Inoki made his promo calling for him to come out (after the Inoki/Choshu match), and Vader says he wasn't expecting the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom