• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I browsed through the english commentary on WK9 and JR seemed lost for most of it. It kind of killed the mood a bit since he was so mellow and reserved for pretty much everything. Woof

You can't really just get a feel for how he did by skipping through the thing - he was obviously very lost at first, though, but people always expected him to have issue with the current jr tag style of wrestling. He seemed to enjoy Honma getting his win and did great during Suzuki vs Sakuraba, but he didn't really get why the referee's were so lenient with outside interference in the Suzuki-gun and Omega/Taguchi matches. He called Ibushi/Nakamura & Tanahashi/Okada as well as anyone could expect and did a really good job getting over the motivation of the wrestlers. Also, he sounded pretty damn excited for both those matches, which helped a lot.

Striker did a good job providing background, but I don't think he had a great dynamic with JR and wish he would've stopped with the insider references after JR called him out on it.

Heel

Brehs got run ragged in the early 90s.

200+ matches
Mr Perfect: 238 matches (202 singles, 36 tag) = 39% win
Paul Diamond: 225 matches (92 singles, 133 tag) = 39% win
The Ultimate Warrior: 218 match (158 singles, 60 tag) = 92% win
Ted Dibiase: 210 matches (193 singles, 17 tag) = 45% win
The Big Bossman: 207 match (188 singles, 19 tag) = 88% win
The Barbarian: 203 matches (149 singles, 54 tag) = 59% win
John Tenta: 202 matches (173 singles, 29 tag) = 68% win
Jim Duggan: 200 matches (170 singles, 30 tag) = 54% win

200+ matches
the Undertaker: 237 matches (224 singles, 13 tag) = 52% win
Bret Hart: 232 matches (170 singles, 62 tag) = 94% win
The Big Bossman: 229 matches (205 singles, 24 tag) = 75% win
Ted Dibiase: 227 matches (208 singles, 19 tag) = 58% win
Road Warrior Animal: 221 matches (34 singles, 187 tag) = 98% win
John Tenta: 215 matches (121 singles, 94 tag) = 37% win
Jim Duggan: 214 matches (181 singles, 33 tag) = 68% win
Jerry Saggs: 212 matches (25 singles, 187 tag) = 51% win
Bushwhacker Luke: 209 matches (8 singles, 201 tag) = 45% win
Bushwhacker Butch: 207 matches (6 singles, 201 tag) = 44% win
Davey Boy Smith: 203 matches (196 singles, 7 tag) = 79% win
Fred Ottman: 202 matches (117 singles, 85 tag) = 35% win
Jacques Rougeau: 202 matches (181 singles, 21 tag) = 53% win

200+ matches
Bret Hart: 242 match (214 singles, 28 tag) = 95% win
Shawn Michaels: 214 matches (205 singles, 9 tag) = 54% win
Barry Darsow: 209 matches (203 singles, 6 tag) = 38% win
Ric Flair: 203 matches (172 singles, 31 tag) = 20% win

Carnby

Admitting to supporting illegal distribution I see...

triple-h-nod.gif

Uh oh. I didn't even think of it that way. I am going to promptly destroy this dvd. I don't care if it's his only copy and his DVR messed up and didn't save the PPV. I can't support this.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
You can't really just get a feel for how he did by skipping through the thing - he was obviously very lost at first, though, but people always expected him to have issue with the current jr tag style of wrestling. He seemed to enjoy Honma getting his win and did great during Suzuki vs Sakuraba, but he didn't really get why the referee's were so lenient with outside interference in the Suzuki-gun and Omega/Taguchi matches. He called Ibushi/Nakamura & Tanahashi/Okada as well as anyone could expect and did a really good job getting over the motivation of the wrestlers. Also, he sounded pretty damn excited for both those matches, which helped a lot.

Striker did a good job providing background, but I don't think he had a great dynamic with JR and wish he would've stopped with the insider references after JR called him out on it.

I did laugh when Striker said that Omega swerved the audience and JR said he had never been swerved and went on to explain that Omega tricked the audience. Striker is such a goober.

Also, JR marked the fuck out for Okada's dropkick.

Heel

Team Hoss

250+ matches
Randy Savage: 265 matches (250 singles, 15 tag) = 53% win

250+ matches
Greg Valentine: 279 matches (159 singles, 120 tag) = 49% win
Tito Santana: 269 matches (196 singles, 73 tag) = 80% win
Brutus Beefcake: 258 matches (139 singles, 119 tag) = 55% win
Bret Hart: 251 matches (128 singles, 123 tag) = 77% win

250+ matches
The Iron Sheik: 276 matches (246 singles, 30 tag) = 48% win

250+ matches
Charlie Fulton: 296 matches (249 singles, 47 tag) = 25% win
Masa Saito: 270 matches (64 singles, 206 tag) = 37% win
Mr Fuji: 269 matches (69 singles, 200 tag) = 34% win
Tony Garea: 252 matches (179 singles, 73 tag) = 57% win

jmdajr

Team Hoss

250+ matches
Randy Savage: 265 matches (250 singles, 15 tag) = 53% win

250+ matches
Greg Valentine: 279 matches (159 singles, 120 tag) = 49% win
Tito Santana: 269 matches (196 singles, 73 tag) = 80% win
Brutus Beefcake: 258 matches (139 singles, 119 tag) = 55% win
Bret Hart: 251 matches (128 singles, 123 tag) = 77% win

250+ matches
The Iron Sheik: 276 matches (246 singles, 30 tag) = 48% win

250+ matches
Charlie Fulton: 296 matches (249 singles, 47 tag) = 25% win
Masa Saito: 270 matches (64 singles, 206 tag) = 37% win
Mr Fuji: 269 matches (69 singles, 200 tag) = 34% win
Tony Garea: 252 matches (179 singles, 73 tag) = 57% win

Shit and many still alive miraculously.

edit: Kane: 93 singles matches (8-85, 9% win)

wow Kane is some sad shit
He's just putting over everybody else....except Adam Rose because even Kane has his limits.
Boy just think about what a boon toppling this monster would be to your career, you know at least a decade plus ago maybe, aha, haaaaaa.
I'm sad now.

So, since I enjoyed Wrestle Kingdom so much, I'm *really* hoping those rumours about an English language option coming soon to NJPW World are true. I don't care about the legacy content, but I really struggle to watch wrestling in a foreign language.

I know JR was a one time deal. It can be just about anyone semi competent really. My wife has gone crazy over Okada, so I think she'd be onboard too (which she isn't so much with the WWE network outside of Charlotte matches on NXT).

Cagey

Banned
These damn millennials complaining about their work schedule. Look at the 80s!

Granted they had the power of coke tho.

WWE countdown Crybaby episode feels like a burial dvd.

I didn't think so. Crybaby seemed put forwards as a valid wrestling character, and you had plenty of people defending the 'cry babies'. Hell someone even pointed out that cry baby Bret was the best Bret.

Which I'd agree with.

And I'd forgotten how awesome Christian's old theme and tantrums were.

joelseph

So, since I enjoyed Wrestle Kingdom so much, I'm *really* hoping those rumours about an English language option coming soon to NJPW World are true. I don't care about the legacy content, but I really struggle to watch wrestling in a foreign language.

I would be on board with this.

Alucard

Banned

I really enjoyed his call of the Styles Clash, and his call of Okada's drop kick.

miserable

I saw a match between Nakamura and Angle from 2008.Shinsuke looked...different back then.Also, how was Angle IWGP heavyweight champ at that time? I thought there was no American champ since Lesnar?

I saw a match between Nakamura and Angle from 2008.Shinsuke looked...different back then.Also, how was Angle IWGP heavyweight champ at that time? I thought there was no American champ since Lesnar?

Good Guy Kurt stepped in to a do a job for Nakamura, because NJPW foolishly made Brock champion without signing him to a contract and he fucked off to Inoki's IGF (claiming New Japan stiffed him on pay). Brock kept the title, so New Japan had to create a new one and crown a new champion (Tanahashi). Nakamura beat Tanahashi at the 2008 Tokyo Dome show, then beat Kurt a month or so later to unify the NJPW & IGF versions of the IWGP Heavyweight Title. As such, Kurt isn't officially recognised as an IWGP champion, as he only held the IGF version of the belt.

*edit, Nakamura's character was incredibly bland at one point, he only really started introducing the crazy mannerisms within the past 4 years or so.

Incidentally, Kurt got the IGF version of the belt by defeating Brock in a IWGP vs TNA championship match. If history had played out differently, Brock would have been TNA champion in July 2007.

So, here's a good 'what if?' question - would Brock as TNA champ in 2007 have done a damn thing for the TNA?

Incidentally, Kurt got the IGF version of the belt by defeating Brock in a IWGP vs TNA championship match. If history had played out differently, Brock would have been TNA champion in July 2007.

So, here's a good 'what if?' question - would Brock as TNA champ in 2007 have done a damn thing for the TNA?

Lesnar as champ now hasn't done a damn thing for WWE, so probably not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom