• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

strobogo

Banned
Welcome, welcome goddammit welcome.

Surprised with all the NJPW you're watching that your Fave Five is all attitude era, save Goldbug. Glad another watched Lucha Underground.

LU is dumb, though. Lucha is the worst form of wrestling. Possibly worse than the worst death match wrestling.

Yeah, this just happened;

XJCQXN7.gif

Great work Fox, that Sting av is mighty tempting!

Also the new WW PPV is named after a shitty mobile game from 2013? WTF.

You’re a young racer, crushing the quarter-mile, with your sights set on being the best in the world. As it happens, your driving impresses none other than John Cena, WWE Superstar and muscle car enthusiast, who takes you under his wing – passing on knowledge he learned during his years behind the wheel.
You’ll challenge opponents in cities from across the United States, including shadowy figures from Cena’s racing past who are bent on winning by any means necessary. Master the art of shifting and upgrade your whip with powerful add-ons as you drive yourself to victory.
In the end, only one person can truly say, “THE CHAMP IS HERE.” Will it be you?
UPGRADES AND CUSTOMIZATION
Upgrade engines, tires, transmissions and turbo chargers.
Customize your car with NOS, decals, paint, groundFX and rims, then share photos of your ride on Facebook.
Level up to unlock 6 different vehicles, each with its own power profiles, gearbox ratios and ride.
RACING
Face more than 80 different competitors, including 10 challenging “boss” racers.
Before each race, size-up the competition’s ride, then head to the garage to fine-tune your vehicle.
MULTIPLAYER
Coming soon
: Connect with friends and crews from around the world to take the race to the virtual blacktop.

Hello fellow Marks and Jobronies alike!

My name is NuclearRaven and after some lurking I've decided to post in this GAF. For those who have an interest (and for those of you with the benefits of flash photography! Sorry, bad Edge and Christian joke) let me tell you a bit about my life as a wrestling fan. I was a kid back in the 90's and became a fan of Pro Wrestling (I absolutely refuse to use "Sports Entertainment." Makes me sick to say/hear it) around 1996 just as the NWO formed which led to the kick off of the Monday Night Wars and the Attitude Era. If you weren't around during that time or were too young to remember, you have my deepest condolences because you missed out on the very best era of Pro Wrestling ever. That's right I said it. Anyway, I followed wrestling up until the death of Eddie Guerrero in 2005 and as I was about to get back into wrestling, figured as I had grieved enough the whole Chris Benoit situation happened which caused me to keep away for a few more years until CM Punk cut his "Pipebomb" promo and the rest as people say is history. I've recently branched outside of WWE to follow other promotions like ROH, PWG, Chikara, Lucha Underground and most recently NJPW. If you want to know anything else from me, feel free to ask! Okay enough with the back story (sorry if it sounded like one of Triple H's 45 minute long promos) on to my top five favorite Wrestlers of all time.

5. Eddie Guerrero: Guy was the first Lucha Libre wrestler that I watched and he was extremely entertaining in and out of the ring. Miss him dearly even to this day.

4: Goldberg: Yeah yeah I know the guy couldn't wrestle at all and he only had two moves but he was booked like a monster back in the WCW days and that was quite impressionable on a young kid like me back in the day.

3: Mick Foley: Whether it was the Hardcore style of Cactus Jack, the Crazy talking Mankind that ripped out his own hair, or the smooth talking disco loving cool cat that was Dude Love, Mick was always a great performer that you couldn't help but love.

2: The Rock: The People's Champion. Need I say more?

1: Stone Cold Steve Austin: The man who personifies the Attitude Era with his two middle fingers and drinks beer in the middle of the ring with one of the coolest finishers ever in wrestling, the Stone Cold Stunner. The Texas Rattlesnake is my all time favorite wrestler and IMO he's the best.

Hope to enjoy a lot of wrestling discussions with all you guys!
Do you like Daniel Bryan?

Yep, pretty good so far, other than AR Fox getting his face kicked off by Trevor Lee and being unable to continue. He was completely out of it, bleeding everywhere.

oh shit

I will have to check out both shows, I've always liked EVOLVE but those $15 triple shot PPVs were just too much to deal with sometimes.

They do have a lot of wrestlers I enjoy watching.

Kimberly was for a time the hottest woman in wrestling. She must have either not wanted to or must have had enemies in WWE to never got brought in during DDP's run.

4LROwdn.gif

Drew's great, can't believe how badly WWE dropped the ball with him.

I think he's one of those guys that will benefit greatly from a couple years outside of WWE for if they ever want to bring him back.

As predicted, SoCal Val's involvement in the EVOLVE show was just terrible. Introducing her to The Premier Athlete Brand, a faction who have almost consistently been one of the poorest aspects of EVOLVE shows, and then spending the entire match focusing on her fucking shenanigans at ringside, to the point that you're missing big in-ring spots to show her being a bitch, was just too much.

Good show aside from that. Galloway vs Ricochet was a ton of fun and Thatcher & Roderick Strong told a great story in their bout, worth checking out.

strobogo

Banned
LEGITSHOOK.COM PRESENTS

Inoki Era: Gimmick Matches

• Jushin Liger vs Shinya Hashimoto IWGP Indiscriminate Class Battle 2/24/94
  • Great Muta vs Great Nita Barbed Wire Current Mine Blast Double Hell Deathmatch 8/28/99
  • Yuji Nagata vs Kensuke Sasaki LIFE OR DEATH FIGHT ~ Clash ~ 1/4/04
  • Ron Waterman vs Masayuki Naruse vs Manabu Nakanishi vs Toro Yano vs Dolgorsürengiin Sumyaabazar vs Mitsuya Nagai vs Yuji Nagata vs Blue Wolf Ultimate Royal Match 1/4/2005
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Prince Devitt Lumberjack Death Match 9/29/13
  • Riki Choshu vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Masahiro Chono Dog Fight 1/4/2005

I initially wanted to do a juniors vs heavyweights project, but it's pretty hard to sort matches out like that on NJPW World, so I ended up doing gimmick matches instead. And it is also hard to find gimmick matches in NJ, so I kind of had to stretch the term. I would recommend Liger/Hashimoto, Nagata/Sasaki, and Choshu vs Tenzan vs Chono. The Ultimate Royal match is a round robin MMA battle royal. It is bizarre. The Muta/Nita match sucks. Don't bother with that. Tanahashi/Devitt is okay, but lumberjack matches such no matter how great the talents involved are.

I think Nagata/Sasaki is the best match of this group. It's a short, extremely bloody, angry WAR. It's rad. Liger/Hash was a lot of fun, especially towards the end when Liger threw everything he possibly could as Hash and the fans were dying for him to get the win. Also pleasantly surprised by the triple threat, which was actually a triangle match. Chono put on a good performance in it.

RP912

Banned
I'm still mindblowned at the thought of deathmatches in NJPW. Inoki not only jumped the shark...dude touch the damn stars with those random booking ideas.

just catching up on RAW....lmao so this is how they resolve the whole "Authority gone from power" thing? They blackmail Cena by threatening Edge? Why didn't Rollins do this weeks ago by kidnapping Nikki or something? Lame.

strobogo

Banned
I'm still mindblowned at the thought of deathmatches in NJPW. Inoki not only jumped the shark...dude touch the damn stars with those random booking ideas.

Idk. I think a round robin MMA battle royal is way crazier than a deathmatch in NJPW. THAT is the height of Inoki being weird as shit.

RP912

Banned
Idk. I think a round robin MMA battle royal is way crazier than a deathmatch in NJPW. THAT is the height of Inoki being weird as shit.

I saw some of the matches from that weird mma era....I went back to the 80s matches :/.

The Bob Sapp match was kinda dope though...

UberTag

just catching up on RAW....lmao so this is how they resolve the whole "Authority gone from power" thing? They blackmail Cena by threatening Edge? Why didn't Rollins do this weeks ago by kidnapping Nikki or something? Lame.
Well, apparently Nikki and Cena can't be seen interacting on RAW because she's a heel right now. And I guess Cena just cares about Edge more than he does for Nikki. And Christian does a shittier job of protecting Edge than Brie does of protecting her sister. And well, we can't compromise a Total Divas storyline for the sake of RAW programming that makes a lick of sense. Sorry.

Well, apparently Nikki and Cena can't be seen interacting on RAW because she's a heel right now. And I guess Cena just cares about Edge more than he does for Nikki. And Christian does a shittier job of protecting Edge than Brie does of protecting her sister. And well, we can't compromise a Total Divas storyline for the sake of RAW programming that makes a lick of sense. Sorry.

It was just a lame way to end the storyline. Like most WWE storylines it just ends up sputtering to an end. Also what exactly is the point of the Money in the Bank briefcase if the Authority can just give Rollins title matches whenever they want?

UberTag

It was just a lame way to end the storyline. Like most WWE storylines it just ends up sputtering to an end. Also what exactly is the point of the Money in the Bank briefcase if the Authority can just give Rollins title matches whenever they want?
Well, ummm... the briefcase is still useful for other wrestlers to get title matches if they don't want to kiss the ass of whatever authority figure happens to be in power.

And Rollins can still use it to get an automatic restart of the match he was given if he chooses to bludgeon his opponent and get DQed.
Except that one time the script screwed a heel out of cashing in because the face champ at the time wasn't lucid or some such bullshit answer.

C'mon Ninja Scooter... you really should have no expectations of competence for storylines in this company while Vince is breathing. You know better than to question this nonsense, right?

Anth0ny

Is this from the WWE where are they now thing? It's actually pretty cool, I love seeing people get out of wrestling.

Unknown-3.jpg

Spike Dudley

he looks like he aged 50 years over the last 13 years

last time I remember seeing him was when brock absolutely murdered him with power bombs

RBH

Dixie Carter interview with Wade Keller:

- Still touting the "bigger picture" thing, "We weren't interested in just licensing a 2 hour show. Needed a partner." Anything to skirt around being canceled, I guess.

- Believes they are on a "whole nother level" in the Discovery family.

- Says Discovery never discussed a goal viewership number with her. Uh huh.

- Touts being a high socially ranked show or whatever on Wednesday.

- "TNA is a huge priority for Destination America. It's about building a brand. We will grow together."

- Wade asks what is worth losing 40% of their potential audience.

Dixie: "So many things. The 16 hour marathon on Wednesday. Replays. Unlocked. Unlocked to be a pop-up video type show with behind-the-scenes stuff. Greatest matches series. Half page ad in USA Today next Friday. We will have an ad on every Discovery Network leading up to the Friday debut starting Monday. I am so excited and it's what I needed. It's easy to say we have less households but that's simplistic. Television is changing and we have to try to get to another level. There isn't another group in this industry who could give us this level of support."

- Wade says the show was much higher rated than other shows on Destination America. Wade says Discovery America. Dixie corrects him, sounding annoyed.

Dixie: "Look, it's a start. None of us had expectations on Destination America. We are great partners. We are feeling the love in return. We want people to find Destination America. Every single person gets Destination America if they want it. All you have to do is call your cable provider and ask for the channel. Everybody is capable of getting it."

- Any options for streaming? Hulu? "Not at this moment, but open to it in the future."

- Wade brings up replays and other shows. Wade says it's too early to judge TNA on Destination America.

- What did Dixie think of the first episode?

Dixie: "I haven't seen it because I was too busy. Small parts."

- Is it Impact or TNA? "I think it will become clear over time." Wade asks for clarification. "I think TNA is the corporate name and Impact is the show."

- Caller asks if Dixie would hire Paul Heyman? Would Bram represent hardcore title? Surprised that WWE hasn't hired current TNA or Alumni?

Dixie: "I think they have. Sting. RVD. There's a list of them. That's what happens when there's only two major promotions. Bram is incredibly talented. There's a slew of people I'm proud of. We've talked about a hardcore title but I don't know. We don't focus a lot on that. No plans on hardcore title. Paul Heyman is talented. No talks with Paul. We've talked in the past. There's a lot of opportunity in front of us. Would love to work with him."

- Wade asks who is on the creative team?

Dixie: "The core group is John Gaburick has been a tremendous asset plus Matt Conway and Dave Lagana."

- Wade asks if there was anything they wanted to differently with the fresh start.

Dixie: "Absolutely, we made some changes. Made changes last summer. Holding off on more changes."

- Wade asks if there are outside sources working with creative?

Dixie: "John has a bigger group of people that pitch him ideas. Subtle changes coming. We're taking a step back and looking at what we can do better. Looking at production, techniques and several things. Announcing changes."

- Emailer asks if Dixie is going to try to break into Peurto Rico. "We have a deal in Mexico. Closing in on a Canada deal. Trying to make the right decision. Peurto Rico, don't know. Will tweet about it."

- Caller says he's heard Dixie is a nice person to work for. Caller asks if they see an opportunity to bring in indy talent to freshen up show?

Dixie: "I think we're doing that. We have broken and brought in more young talent than we have in the last 5 or 6 years. Talent comes from all over the world. We have been doing that. The roster has a much fresher feel than it has in a long time."

- Dixie says when she first brought the Wolves in, she was dismissive and it took time for them to develop. She will bring in more showcase talent for Destination X type shows. Open to both short term and long term talent if they have a good plan.

- Caller says he lives in Mobile and he says he'd never hear advertising about shows coming to his area. Would drive downtown sometimes and see it on the marquee and be sad he missed it.

Dixie: "We heavily promote every date we have. We promote it on Impact. We've hired people from WWE, marketing people, etc. Hard to reach everyone. We will have house shows but focus is on television product and getting it right. After that, we'll get back to touring."

- Wade asks about PPVs.

Dixie: "PPV is a declining business. There are still successful PPVs but we have to evaluate. We've gone from 12 per year to a few per year. One Night Only is successful for us. Will have a few live PPVs this year. Two or three live PPVs this year. No guess for 2016. Focus is on TV, even if it's free."

- Wade asks what was so good about going live before, but doesn't matter now.

Dixie: "Going live is great but it's very expensive. If the numbers don't reflect a boost, we have to make a change. We have to distinguish our product. We produce the best in-ring product today. We can't be a "version" of anyone else. We have to distinguish from TNA of the past. Social media changed everything. We have cameras all over the arena. The show will be much more loose. Will react to real things behind-the-scenes. More real product in that sense. We want to have fun. We want to show people stuff they haven't seen before."

- Wade goes on a tangent about kayfabe vs reality.

Dixie: "We don't want to insult people's intelligence. We have to let talent know that cameras are everywhere. Be aware of being filmed at all times. We will be looser in post production. Organic nuggets of reality. This will help distinguish us further."

- Caller asks how much Dixie pays attention to wrestling journalism, specifically about how bad WWE has been lately with heel factions and authority figures, wrestlers not being treated as stars, and championships not mattering.

Dixie: "No. One of the things I love about John is that he can look at the show through fresh eyes. We have to evolve our show. John is looking beyond and evolving the product with lighting treatments. That's what's were focused on moving forward."

Caller says wrestling has been rehashing storylines for too long.

Dixie: "We're evolving with new ways to produce it and take it up another notch."

- Emailer asks "what would you say to someone who stopped watching Impact a few years ago to get them to tune back in?" Wade butts in by saying that he wants to hear less about production in this answer. "Who are the stars in TNA? Why aren't world title matches protected better? Why so many factions?"

Dixie: "Clean finishes are important. We've not been good about that in the past. Non-clean finishes are necessary however. Storylines will make sense in the end, and they will feel fresh. Wednesday's show was a reset button in a sense. A new season. A reshuffling."

- Emailer says he used to be fan but stopped watching when AJ left. He tuned back into the premiere and liked the show until the finish of the main event. "Why does there need to be an overbooked mess all the time?"

Dixie: "I don't disagree. It was intentional to reset it. A new season. A way to put Joe, Young, Roode all in the main event."

- Caller says he believes it's like Sting coming into WWE. Says it's a long time he's been that excited. Said he saw the brilliance of it.

Dixie: "Hard to go full throttle. Should I watch again? If you watched the programming this last summer, it is full throttle. You will want to tune in or you'll miss something. We won't hold anything back. People want to see action."

- Caller asks how the new camera crew is. Is the camera crew new?

Dixie: "No but it is a different venue."

- Wade asks how the lighting is. Why was the audience dark on Wednesday?

Dixie: "Creative decision. Focus on the in-ring action. Want the focus on the talent, not the audience. Intentional lighting decision. Crowd can chant of course but this is the way it will be for now. Can change."

- Wade asks about a fan who posted empty seats picture. Borash asked the fan if he'd like to go backstage as a way to talk to him privately. Is this policy?

Dixie: "I don't know anything about that. It's tough. I get called every name in the book on Twitter. I message people asking them to take it down if it's really bad. You never know what you're taking picture of. It doesn't help. But we're tolerant and it's his right. No, we don't act the way the fan implied we would."

- Will or has Dixie watched Wrestle Kingdom 9?

Dixie: "Everything is competition. Competition is great. Healthy thing. No, not seen WK9. Hope people in TNA will alert her if there's things they can use and improve with. We take ideas from all media."

- Does Dixie watch wrestling?

Dixie: "I watch our shows about 3 or 4 times after they're done. I enjoy watching it. I don't watch a lot of competition, no."

- Has anyone in TNA suggested you watch WK9?

Dixie: "No. Doesn't mean no one should watch it." Wade recommends she watch it. Thinks she should see how it's produced and presented. Dixie: "I'm sure people in my company have seen it. We're trying to evolve. Taking ideas from all media, not just wrestling."

- Would Dixie have hired Hulk Hogan if she could go back?

Dixie: "Absolutely. There's a reason WWE snatched him back when he was done with us. Our mistake was overexposure. Was never asked for by him. He's so special and what he brings to the company and show is all great. Nothing but great things to say."

- Will AJ and Jarrett be in the TNA Hall of Fame some day?

Dixie: "I don't imagine a TNA Hall of Fame without them."

- Is Jarrett still a shareholder?

Dixie: "Yes, he is."

- Do you pay attention to GFW?

Dixie: "I don't know what it is. But he's creating relationships but I don't know how it plays out."

- Were you involved in the decision to hire Josh Mathews? Resistance about Tenay?

Dixie: "We needed to freshen up the show. No better person than Tenay to host Unlocked. Perfect timing, win-win. Love Josh's dynamic. Josh works in the office too. Will try many different things with the announcers."

- Before you got into wrestling, what has surprised you the most about the wrestling industry?

Dixie: "People are set in their ways. They feel like their way is the only way. I'm not going back and doing anything. All about moving forward. Fresh eyes."

Feels like they rushed them back way sooner than they wanted. I wonder if it's related to Bryan coming back around the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom