• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieWhite

Guys, I knew Albert (Giant Bernard, A-Train, Tensai, Jason Albert, whatever you want to call him) had a pretty good run in Japan, but I don't think I knew exactly how well he did until I did some research for my little Fire Pro Tournament.

Is there a definitive Giant Bernard match that I should watch?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Guys, I knew Albert (Giant Bernard, A-Train, Tensai, Jason Albert, whatever you want to call him) had a pretty good run in Japan, but I don't think I knew exactly how well he did until I did some research for my little Fire Pro Tournament.

Is there a definitive Giant Bernard match that I should watch?

His match with Brock is a good big dude slug fest. Like smacking the sweat and spit out of each other.

DM, I'm right there with you with the Nakamura love. All in.

Match9WK9.gif
NakamuraKing.gif

First match I've seen with this guy, I'm a fan already. I'm just assuming he snorts a line of coke right before his entrance.

Fox318

Catching up on Monday Night Wars. Man, they fucking buried Russo.

I also really wish Bischoff could have bought WCW

He offered way more than Vince did.

Honestly I'm sure there was some underhanded shit that Vince did to get WCW as cheap as he did.

Then again Jamie Kellner was one of the worst TV executives ever. He never left a job stronger after he worked there.

He offered way more than Vince did.

Honestly I'm sure there was some underhanded shit that Vince did to get WCW as cheap as he did.

Then again Jamie Kellner was one of the worst TV executives ever. He never left a job stronger after he worked there.

I thought it was part of some court settlement that the WWF had first rights if the company was ever put up for sale? Or was it just that Bischoff's backers dropped out when the TV deals were dropped?

Fox318

I thought it was part of some court settlement that the WWF had first rights if the company was ever put up for sale? Or was it just that Bischoff's backers dropped out when the TV deals were dropped?

He still had enough to buy it.

The bigger problem was the WCW pay structure. Booker and DDP had to take huge paycuts to sign with the WWF.

Hogan's deal alone was stupid expensive.

also

Cesaro Delayed Vertical Suplex While Doing Squats And Making A Tag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9lfDXkrWZc

Great photo of Inoki & Baba on the eve of their pro-wrestling debuts;

nsHz0BZ.jpg

Boss as fuck.

Catching up on Monday Night Wars. Man, they fucking buried Russo.

I also really wish Bischoff could have bought WCW

I thought they could have gone harder, considering some of the burials they have done over the years.
They still said he was talented, just that he needed a good editor to filter out the shit ideas (although they said 90% of them were shit lol).

Bischoff needed the TV slot for the show going forward, without the TV spot they couldn't make the money he and the investors wanted at the price it was going for.

I think Bischoff offered $36 million for WCW along with a 10 year deal for a TV spot. Without the TV spot it went for a lot less than that apparently, it was basically a firesale as the new owners wanted to get the fuck away from wrasslin.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What wrestlers, other than Hogan, had creative control? In any promotion during any time period. Because you always hear them say 'wrestler(S)' plural when they talk about Creative Control. But they only ever name Hogan. And I guess it just goes into legal semantics at that point. HBK probably didn't 'officially' have it, but I bet he did what he wanted since Vince had such a crush on THE MOST FLAMBOYANT WRESTLER IN THE HISTORY OF WRESTLING

And of course anyone who was a wrestler and a booker had creative control.

Fox318

Cesaro will never get over with Kidd.

Kidd has a gimmick that works for 14 year old girls who like cats on tumblr and hipster smarks.

Fox318

What wrestlers, other than Hogan, had creative control? In any promotion during any time period. Because you always hear them say 'wrestler(S)' plural when they talk about Creative Control. But they only ever name Hogan. And I guess it just goes into legal semantics at that point. HBK probably didn't 'officially' have it, but I bet he did what he wanted since Vince had such a crush on THE MOST FLAMBOYANT WRESTLER IN THE HISTORY OF WRESTLING

Hogan
Nash
Sting
Hall
Goldberg
Savage
Luger??

If I tried to get into wrestling right now by subbing to the WWE Network, and I have no idea what's been going on in wrestling in the past 20 years, would I be able to understand anything?

Like could I go back to the first episode of Raw (or whatever) from this season and just start watching?

I'm not sure what all is available for Network subscribers. Is there an easy way for new people to get caught up?

Fox318

If I tried to get into wrestling right now by subbing to the WWE Network, and I have no idea what's been going on in wrestling in the past 20 years, would I be able to understand anything?

Like could I go back to the first episode of Raw (or whatever) from this season and just start watching?

I'm not sure what all is available for Network subscribers. Is there an easy way for new people to get caught up?

WWE treats every episode of Raw as if you've never seen it before so you should be fine jumping in.

There is plenty of good content on the network.

Honestly, it's probably better to just tune in every Monday. They recap what's been going on so much, and you'll catch on to what it's all like in time. That way you can save a couple bucks. WWE is weird in the sense that you can pretty much jump in at any time, it'll take a little bit, but you'll basically get the gist of why people hate one another.

If you do get the Network, don't watch RAW. Just watch the last year or two of PPVs, because like I said, they never shut up about what happened and why these two people do not like one another.

Raws take a few weeks to go up on the Network too, I think it's 30 days after it airs?

Nash is the most notable one along with Hogan back at WCW. I'm sure one of the WCW books would go into detail on what those with creative clauses in their contracts got up to towards the end of WCW, I was hoping for more examples on MNW but they really only lightly touched on the famous Hogan match. I guess they don't want to piss off too many of the legends while they are using them.

Alucard

Banned
Raw taking 30 days to go up on the Network is just weird. I mean, I get they need to protect the ratings on their television network, but it's just weird from a fan's perspective.

Raw taking 30 days to go up on the Network is just weird. I mean, I get they need to protect the ratings on their television network, but it's just weird from a fan's perspective.

Yeah, like.. "Oh, I missed raw, shame I have to wait a fucking MONTH to watch it." Like.. Put them up on Friday's or something so people can catch up over the weekend for Monday, I dunno. Like I get what you're saying with the ratings, but it's weird. People are paying for it, so I dunno.

Finally watching NJPW Dash 2015 and Taka Michinoku has not AGED. They need a video package of the Timesplitters traveling to the past in tgeir Delorean to retrieve Taka and save the future. Also did they purposely censor Taichi and Takas theme song?

MC Safety

That may have something to do with Hulu.

Hulu probably has a contractual exclusivity period for Raw reruns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom