• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Wrestlers having creative control could be good if they weren't cunts. Hogan had a massive ego who never wanted to put guys over.

How many clean pins did Hogan and Cena take that wasn't a run in or some shit?

Remember hogan fucking kicking out after 3 at Mania VI? Fucking grabbing the belt and stealing all of the camera time that should have helped put warrior over?

Cena has what like 5 clean pins?

Lesnar
Rock
Batista?
Reigns in a tag match
HHH
I would say Bryan but not really.

Hell even fucking punk was kinda a run in.

Wrestlers should be able to work with writing to work together.

Man, that was clean as fuck. In the MMA thread, we laugh when a guy (usually Brazilian) comes out after the fight and says, "But I was sick that day."

Don't let Cena off the hook, friends.

ZSgfPXw.png

Would have been awesome if Ziggler or Ryback tweeted at that kayfabe style :(

EDIT: Fuck, even Rollins chiming in with a "BEST BOSS EVAAA!" or some shit would be FnP.

haha nice! I'm currently in the process of thinking of a combat system for the Wrestling RPG and I was tempted to go Card style combat. Your character (and others) would still have base stats, but when it comes to the fight you'd use your moveset (which would consist of a deck of cards) to fight other wrestlers who would have their own unique moveset too.

To use a move you'd have to invest some momentum (Mana) into it. Base momentum would be created by the wrestlers Overness+Charisma*wins/loses (or something). Some cards would generate momentum for the attacker, and stun the opposition wrestler. So little 'base' moves would be momentum builders, finishers would be huge momentum destroyers on the opposition.

With it being turned based if you're the defender you can 'proc' a counter card which would have a chance to counter whatever card the opposition plays, and gains momentum.

Basically Momentum would be needed to play cards. More momentum = bigger moves.

It's still early days, and I probably haven't explained it very well. I'll try again in the morning with the help of visual aids.

Strength
Agility
Charisma
Stamina

Will still be important attributes too in the Wrestling RPG, as they'll be modifiers on the moves. However, I feel like it's important that the combat is more than

Attack - Punch
Attack - Special
Defend
Item
Run Away

Then I'd hope to be able to add a 'entertainment' factor too, so you'd have to use moves that entertained the crowd. I don't feel like I've explained this well at all!

These are the ideas/features I currently have an idea for in the Wrestling RPG. No idea if I can code them or not, but hey... I'll try!

Code:
===Features===

- Backstage
-- Walk backstage at various venues
-- Meet Wrestlers, Bookers, Agents, Fans, etc
-- Build or Lose a reputation

- Character Creation
-- Nationality
-- Style
-- Stats
- Combat
-- Turn Based? Card/Move Based?
-- Unique Moves
-- Illegal Moves
-- Moves tied to style
-- Moves tied to disposition

- Gimmicks

- Face/Heel alignments

- Forming Tag Team Stables

- Overness/Popularity
-- Unknown, Local, Regional, National, International, Superstar
-- Effects storylines & which promotions will hire you
-- Build your fanbase

- Promotions
-- Themed Promotions
-- Japan, British/European, WWE, Backyard, Old School 'Still Real To me', etc

- Storylines
-- Consistant
-- Continuity
-- Keyfabe

- Titles
-- Unique to each promotion

- Unique Wrestlers & NPCs
-- Owners
-- Bookers
-- Road Agents
-- Wrestlers
-- Jobbers
-- Fans
-- Blaze Melter

I want a card combat trading wrassling game, or a board game pretty bad.

Especially if you could work all kinds of matches like 2v2, 6 man, etc

UberTag

Would have been awesome if Ziggler or Ryback tweeted at that kayfabe style :(

EDIT: Fuck, even Rollins chiming in with a "BEST BOSS EVAAA!" or some shit would be FnP.
I think those guys realize it's not in their best interests to throw gasoline onto Cena's passive aggressive tweets from last week.
And that's clearly what this and that other one were. Some shit went down.

Sabucin

1/25/2008

* Vince McMahon has given his approval for a storyline involving incest. The angle would involve Ohio Valley Wrestling wrestlers Katie Lea and Paul Burchill. The angle would likely take place on either ECW or Raw, because there is some concern that it would get the wrong kind of heat if it were to take place on SmackDown — which is on network television.

McMahon has wanted to do an incest angle for years. He once suggested that he be the father of his daughter Stephanie’s baby. As revealed on the McMahon DVD, Stephanie turned down the angle. According to her, Vince was to reveal himself as the father of her baby; when she said no, he pushed for Shane to be the father, but he turned that idea down as well.

WTF VINCE!

1/9/2008

* Triple H is said to be the most disliked person in WWE right now. A number of people were upset that he didn’t make a stand to put over Ric Flair last week in what will very likely be his final match in Greensboro, North Carolina.

Triple H has always had heat, but it really picked up over the summer when he basically squashed Booker T at SummerSlam. As part of his renegotiations with the company, they let Booker sit in on booking meetings. He was there to assure that nobody buried him and that he would be taken care of in his feud with Triple H. Of course, the biggest reason he ultimately quit the company was due to the 60-day suspension, but after his match with Triple H went down the way it did, there was a good chance he was leaving WWE anyway. Furthermore, a large number of people within the company believe the ordeal with Triple H is the reason why he left. Several people within WWE really like Booker T — who was one of the most respected wrestlers in the locker room — so they were very upset about how things went down.

Triple H also buried Chris Jericho before he had even arrived. In a sarcastic manner, Triple H was going around to anyone who would listen saying that the company may have had some rough stretches in the past, but they were going to be fine again because “their savior” was coming back. The feeling in the locker room was that he was especially vindictive about Jericho because his wife Stephanie was a big proponent of bringing him back. A number of people believe Triple H came off as very petty in his comments.

This I don't understand. I thought Levesque had respect for Flair?

If I tried to get into wrestling right now by subbing to the WWE Network, and I have no idea what's been going on in wrestling in the past 20 years, would I be able to understand anything?

Like could I go back to the first episode of Raw (or whatever) from this season and just start watching?

I'm not sure what all is available for Network subscribers. Is there an easy way for new people to get caught up?
Steer clear of anything related to a guy named Daniel Bryan and you'll be fine.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm watching NXT because I've been too happy lately and nothing agitates me more than NXT fans. They really dropped the boat with Kenta, huh? Is it because they paired him with someone who overshadows him or is it because working WWE-style takes away everything he does well?
Both friend. I wish they would've tried to nab Ibushi instead.

and I hope kenny omega retries wwe one day

UberTag

The claims of Vince being "a genius" have been greatly exaggerated, friends.
Thing is... when he was pushing so strongly for the incest angle he was still a lot more with it and tuned in to his audience than he is now.

Think about that for a second.

Thing is... when he was pushing so strongly for the incest angle he was still a lot more with it and tuned in to his audience than he is now.

Think about that for a second.

Are you implying we might be getting a Bryan loves goats angle soon? Because that could be super fun, especially now Brie is a heel.

Fuck wait, is she still a heel? I haven't seen a Brie match for a while now :/

Alucard

Banned
Reminder LAW is back to 11 o'clock since football season is over

http://www2.tsn.ca/toronto/listen/

Thanks, man.

They just made an excellent point about the writing team trying to write Reigns like Cena, and that they tried the same with Sheamus. And they tried it with Luger being the new Hogan. Not letting these guys find their own voices, but trying to fit into this set idea of what the WWE feels the top face should be.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
He's a huge video game and anime nerd. Pretty sure he's living his dream wrestling for New Japan and getting to name his moves after Final Fantasy magic spells. And I bet New Japan pays decently enough for these guys.
Stop killing my dream.

Rudo Reels has released the Blu-Ray for Wrestle Kingdom 9 with both English and Japanese commentary.

According to the description:

Final Word:
Matt Striker on the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Match
Matt Striker Breaks Down AJ Styles vs. Tetsuya Naito
Matt Striker Looks at the IWGP Intercontinental Championship Match
Matt Striker Breaks Down The IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Championship Match
Matt Striker Looks at the IWGP Tag Team Championship Match
Matt Striker on the NEVER Openweight Championship Match
Matt Striker Looks at the IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match
Matt Striker Looks at the 6 Man Tag Team Match
Matt Striker Looks at the Sakuraba vs. Suzuki UWFI Rules Match
Matt Striker on the 8 Man Tag Team Match
Matt Striker on Wrestle Kingdom 9

I don't know whether to skip or actually watch this?

JavyOO7

Hmm, the investor team or whatever that Bischoff had to buy WCW basically went bananas once they saw the books. One of the big time investors said "nah, eff that" and bolted. It also hurt too that their was no television involved anymore. So he ran to FOX and other networks to see if they were interested. But alas, they were too late...

The Death of WCW book insinuated that a person from WWE, who used to work at Turner, brokered the deal to get WCW for that cheap. Once WWE bought WCW, that guy eventually left WWE to go back to work with Turner.

Its such a great book. Not kind to Hogan, Bischoff, Nash, and Russo. Especially Hogan and Nash, never seeing the greater good and always looking at their own self interest. And Bischoff, so patient with the STANG story line did not show that same patience with Bill Goldberg beating Hogan on free television.

I've read the Death of WCW three times already. And honestly, I think that's it for me. Its too depressing to read for a fourth time. If the WWE Network ever puts up WCW television from the late 80s/early 90s, like WCW Saturday Night and WCW Main Event, I'll probably have to skip any Hogan stuff from '94 on. While very entertaining at many points in his career, especially in WCW, I can't forgive him for being such a dumb dumb when it comes to the creative side in WCW.

Hmm, the investor team or whatever that Bischoff had to buy WCW basically went bananas once they saw the books. One of the big time investors said "nah, eff that" and bolted. It also hurt too that their was no television involved anymore. So he ran to FOX and other networks to see if they were interested. But alas, they were too late...

The Death of WCW book insinuated that a person from WWE, who used to work at Turner, brokered the deal to get WCW for that cheap. Once WWE bought WCW, that guy eventually left WWE to go back to work with Turner.

Its such a great book. Not kind to Hogan, Bischoff, Nash, and Russo. Especially Hogan and Nash, never seeing the greater good and always looking at their own self interest. And Bischoff, so patient with the STANG story line did not show that same patience with Bill Goldberg beating Hogan on free television.

I've read the Death of WCW three times already. And honestly, I think that's it for me. Its too depressing to read for a fourth time. If the WWE Network ever puts up WCW television from the late 80s/early 90s, like WCW Saturday Night and WCW Main Event, I'll probably have to skip any Hogan stuff from '94 on. While very entertaining at many points in his career, especially in WCW, I can't forgive him for being such a dumb dumb when it comes to the creative side in WCW.

Thanks for the extra info, I really fucking need to grab a copy of this book.

gurudyne

Vince turned a pro wrestling company into a billion dollar publicly traded company.

Several times over at that! Most recently within the past year! How many other people can say that they've taken the same company above and below the billion dollar threshold so many times? Personally, I say invest. Who knows when Vince's creative genius will strike again and get that stock price back above 30?

Pretty sure he (at least kayfabe) doesn't like the WWE right now. Tweeted something about the WWE "brainwashing" fans last week.

Omega's disliked the WWE for years. He was in their training system when it was based in Deep South Wrestling and was miserable there. He's about as likely as the Young Bucks to back to developmental.

JavyOO7

Poor Star and Goldust. Lost to the Matadores on Superstars. I wish Matadores would lose the costume and under go a gimmick change. Even keep El Torito if they wish. But they aren't that bad in the ring to constantly job to other teams besides this week. =p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom