• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream

I'm watching NXT because I've been too happy lately and nothing agitates me more than NXT fans. They really dropped the boat with Kenta, huh? Is it because they paired him with someone who overshadows him or is it because working WWE-style takes away everything he does well?

I was bored and made these;

EWOmZDJ.gif
UOIXFrs.gif
l8ZctBL.gif

They really dropped the boat with Kenta, huh? Is it because they paired him with someone who overshadows him or is it because working WWE-style takes away everything he does well?

Both. Also, I've ranted about it before, but the WWE's style of camera work is terrible for accentuating strike-based offence. Too many cuts and too much shaky cam.

*edit, also, he needs to be in the ring with guys like Zayn, not two lumps like the Ascension.

EWOmZDJ.gif
UOIXFrs.gif
l8ZctBL.gif

Both. Also, I've ranted about it before, but the WWE's style of camera work is terrible for accentuating strike-based offence. Too many cuts and too much shaky cam.

*edit, also, he needs to be in the ring with guys like Zayn, not two lumps like the Ascension.

Beautiful dropkicks

Ithil

Just watched Fargo (the movie), what a great film. Now to check out the TV show.

Either of the two criminals in it would make for great heel gimmicks, by the way.

EWOmZDJ.gif
UOIXFrs.gif
l8ZctBL.gif

haha nice! I'm currently in the process of thinking of a combat system for the Wrestling RPG and I was tempted to go Card style combat. Your character (and others) would still have base stats, but when it comes to the fight you'd use your moveset (which would consist of a deck of cards) to fight other wrestlers who would have their own unique moveset too.

To use a move you'd have to invest some momentum (Mana) into it. Base momentum would be created by the wrestlers Overness+Charisma*wins/loses (or something). Some cards would generate momentum for the attacker, and stun the opposition wrestler. So little 'base' moves would be momentum builders, finishers would be huge momentum destroyers on the opposition.

With it being turned based if you're the defender you can 'proc' a counter card which would have a chance to counter whatever card the opposition plays, and gains momentum.

Basically Momentum would be needed to play cards. More momentum = bigger moves.

It's still early days, and I probably haven't explained it very well. I'll try again in the morning with the help of visual aids.

Strength
Agility
Charisma
Stamina

Will still be important attributes too in the Wrestling RPG, as they'll be modifiers on the moves. However, I feel like it's important that the combat is more than

Attack - Punch
Attack - Special
Defend
Item
Run Away

Then I'd hope to be able to add a 'entertainment' factor too, so you'd have to use moves that entertained the crowd. I don't feel like I've explained this well at all!

These are the ideas/features I currently have an idea for in the Wrestling RPG. No idea if I can code them or not, but hey... I'll try!

Code:
===Features===

- Backstage
-- Walk backstage at various venues
-- Meet Wrestlers, Bookers, Agents, Fans, etc
-- Build or Lose a reputation

- Character Creation
-- Nationality
-- Style
-- Stats
- Combat
-- Turn Based? Card/Move Based?
-- Unique Moves
-- Illegal Moves
-- Moves tied to style
-- Moves tied to disposition

- Gimmicks

- Face/Heel alignments

- Forming Tag Team Stables

- Overness/Popularity
-- Unknown, Local, Regional, National, International, Superstar
-- Effects storylines & which promotions will hire you
-- Build your fanbase

- Promotions
-- Themed Promotions
-- Japan, British/European, WWE, Backyard, Old School 'Still Real To me', etc

- Storylines
-- Consistant
-- Continuity
-- Keyfabe

- Titles
-- Unique to each promotion

- Unique Wrestlers & NPCs
-- Owners
-- Bookers
-- Road Agents
-- Wrestlers
-- Jobbers
-- Fans
-- Blaze Melter

Ultratech

Just watched Fargo (the movie), what a great film. Now to check out the TV show.

Either of the two criminals in it would make for great heel gimmicks, by the way.

If you liked the movie, I think you'll love the show.

(Also, Billy Bob Thornton is goddamn fantastic in it.)

Fox318

Just finished the latest episode of Monday Night War

• Hogan lying about everything
  • Vince patting himself on the back
  • Russo playing the sad card
  • All the talk about not insulting your audience's intelligence despite the product they have today.
  • All of the parallels to today's product
  • Bad Nitro ratings are now good raw ratings

How can the WWE make this and not look at shit like the Reigns promo or the fake crowd noise?

Just finished the latest episode of Monday Night War

• Hogan lying about everything
  • Vince patting himself on the back
  • Russo playing the sad card
  • All the talk about not insulting your audience's intelligence despite the product they have today.
  • All of the parallels to today's product
  • Bad Nitro ratings are now good raw ratings

How can the WWE make this and not look at shit like the Reigns promo or the fake crowd noise?
it was pretty hilarious to see them go over this stuff and look at how the current product is going. History is repeating itself.

DMczaf

"They couldn't manage a couple of hours of a wrestling show, let along an entire organization." - Seth Rollins on WWE WCW

Fox318

Rosa is a perfect example of what is wrong with the company.

What is she good at?

How has Natalya not had a mania match?

Compare how "divas" are treated compared to the NXT WOMEN.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wrestlers not having Creative Control is one reason why the WWE will never get as bad off as WCW.

Not only would Hogan refuse to job his own matches but the various bookers had to trick him to allow any face to pin a big heel, ever. He wanted to be the one to come in and get the win.

Nash you could at least convince to lose every once in awhile...though most of the time he'd just no show.

Hall was actually the best of them about losing and would be the model employee without those substance abuse issues.

Fox318

Wrestlers having creative control could be good if they weren't cunts. Hogan had a massive ego who never wanted to put guys over.

How many clean pins did Hogan and Cena take that wasn't a run in or some shit?

Remember hogan fucking kicking out after 3 at Mania VI? Fucking grabbing the belt and stealing all of the camera time that should have helped put warrior over?

Cena has what like 5 clean pins?

Lesnar
Rock
Batista?
Reigns in a tag match
HHH
I would say Bryan but not really.

Hell even fucking punk was kinda a run in.

Wrestlers should be able to work with writing to work together.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hogan not wanting to be pinned is no big deal. Everyone from that era was like that for good reason. Having that power contractually though? And being able to change everyone else's finish if you didn't like it?

Rosa is a perfect example of what is wrong with the company.

What is she good at?

How has Natalya not had a mania match?

Compare how "divas" are treated compared to the NXT WOMEN.

HayesHatTip.gif

But seriously it's really jarring how well the NXT women wrestlers are written compared to Raw/Smackdown. Incredibly jarring.

I really don't see how things are going to change to be honest. They have great talent and personalities there yet don't want to use them to their utmost potential.

1/7/2008

* According to well placed source in WWE there was a backstage incident that occurred while WWE was over in Iraq. The incident involved Umaga, Randy Orton, and Shawn Michaels. Apparently the seamstress told Umaga that he could not use the colors that he wanted for his tights because they were the colors that Triple H uses. However, Umaga insisted that the seamstress fulfill his request.

The seamstress complied and when Umaga went through the curtain in the tights, Shawn Michaels completely flipped out. WWE Champion Randy Orton was said to be the only person that stood up for the Samoan Bulldozer and fired back at Shawn.

It has been incidents like this that have completely altered Randy Orton’s reputation backstage. The feeling is that he is now a leader and is one of the few superstars that does not take crap off of Triple H and Shawn Michaels.

Good guy randy

Love reading these

http://wrestlingonearth.com/dirt-sheet-history-january-2008/

UberTag

I wonder if Kidd and Cesaro could pull off the Buscemi and Stormare roles.

Cena has what like 5 clean pins?

Lesnar
Rock
Batista?
Reigns in a tag match
HHH
I would say Bryan but not really.

Hell even fucking punk was kinda a run in.
I want to say Edge got a clean pin or two on Cena back during their feud.
You also forgot the triple finisher spot in that one chamber match where Cena was eliminated shockingly in like less than 5 minutes after he entered.

If I tried to get into wrestling right now by subbing to the WWE Network, and I have no idea what's been going on in wrestling in the past 20 years, would I be able to understand anything?

Like could I go back to the first episode of Raw (or whatever) from this season and just start watching?

I'm not sure what all is available for Network subscribers. Is there an easy way for new people to get caught up?

Why doesnt WWE run an ad for the Network outside WWE Raw? Like during some other show on some other channel

DMczaf

WWE house show in Vegas next week

Reigns vs Rusev
Wyatt vs Ambrose in a Street Fight
Mizs vs Usos
"and Chris Jericho"

...nah, I'm good.

Fox318

WWE house show in Vegas next week

Reigns vs Rusev
Wyatt vs Ambrose in a Street Fight
Mizs vs Usos
"and Chris Jericho"

...nah, I'm good.

If you notice Reigns has main evented house shows with midcarders.

SEE HE GETS THE BIGGEST POP DAMN IT

Cagey

Banned
I'm watching NXT because I've been too happy lately and nothing agitates me more than NXT fans. They really dropped the boat with Kenta, huh? Is it because they paired him with someone who overshadows him or is it because working WWE-style takes away everything he does well?
Agreed dream. I said that the first few episodes and then again after his tag match with Balor. I think it's a combination of the former and that he doesn't stand out in any way whatsoever: look, gimmick, moves, size, whatever.

Being Japanese is the only thing preventing him from looking like every other generic jobber on NXT.

A shame.

Edit: against the Ascension, he came off on screen as one of the randos they squashed every week. It's bad. It's a waste of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom