• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wish WWE would stop trying to erase Benoit, acknowledge he existed, acknowledge he was a champion, acknowledge that he was a murderer, and then move on. They don't need to go out of their way to talk about him or anything, but it also means they don't need to painfully dance around mentioning Benoit when they talk about things like Wrestlemania XX. The NFL doesn't dance around OJ Simpson when they reach logical times to bring up his name. It's not like they gave a championship to him after he killed his family.

Stuff like with WMXX stuff just ends up bringing more attention to Benoit because it makes people ask "wait, so who won that title at WrestleMania XX?" and then they go find out who won it and what happened - and then it just makes WWE look stupid.

In terms of stuff like history and records, he's already acknowledged (I know that was a big thing with the Encyclopedia, whether or not they would include him). When it comes to title results, he's still listed as having beaten HHH and HBK, he's still listed as a Rumble winner, his title history is still listed, etc.

Hell, going back to the Encyclopedia thing, Vince was once asked about it and said that he'd be included in stuff like that for completion's sake, but they weren't gonna out-and-out "advertise" him. Which seems fine to me.

EDIT: What exactly makes WWE look stupid? People finding out he won or people finding out about the murder/suicide?

tumblr_n7x05ehbgO1rka1sjo1_500.png

tumblr_n7x05ehbgO1rka1sjo8_500.png

tumblr_n7x05ehbgO1rka1sjo7_500.png

tumblr_n7x05ehbgO1rka1sjo6_500.png

tumblr_n7x05ehbgO1rka1sjo5_500.png

tumblr_n7x05ehbgO1rka1sjo4_500.png

tumblr_n7x05ehbgO1rka1sjo3_500.png

tumblr_n7x05ehbgO1rka1sjo2_500.png

Kaladin

I think Vince thrives more on having actual competition. So Vince WWE is hurt by the lack of competition. But yeah, WWE in general would be better without him right now.

I think if Vince had actual competition in the sports entertainment realm he would do his best to ignore and deny it's existence as he's done to any recent attempts at competition like TNA and UFC. He'd rather be blind to the fact that there are alternatives instead of doing something about it.

Cagey

Banned
Vince doesn't acknowledge any other wrestling alternative precisely because there is no other wrestling alternative worth acknowledging. There's nothing in WWE's league.

Vince not acknowledging UFC, despite not being a wrestling promotion, as competing for a decent-sized chunk of the same audience was (is?) unthinkably stupid.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
On this episode of Nitro, Liz comes out of the limo and then DDP shows up and kicks in the limo door to try to get Macho Man. Liz slams the door on DDP's arm and Macho Man drives off ... leaving Liz alone with DDP

HOGAN WOULDNT HAVE DONE THAT SHIT BROTHER. #Hulkwasright

Sephzilla

Vince doesn't acknowledge any other wrestling alternative precisely because there is no other wrestling alternative worth acknowledging. There's nothing in WWE's league.

Vince not acknowledging UFC, despite not being a wrestling promotion, as competing for a decent-sized chunk of the same audience was (is?) unthinkably stupid.

Yeah, this. I'm sure Vince would acknowledge competition if there was some actual competition happening. The closest competition WWE has right now in terms of show quality is NXT - which he owns.

jmdajr

So what does Vince consider actual competition? I guess Total Divas is his answer to reality television but what traits is Vince taking from competitors he deems worthy challengers?

Maybe we should comprise a list on the Shows that air on Monday that compete with him.

They use the UFC plenty of times to help put Brock over on commentary, which is kinda stupid, because the way they talk about it at times they make it completely devalue their own product. THIS MAN HAS HAD REAL FIGHTS AND KILLED PEOPLE. NONE OF THIS FAKE SHIT YOU NERDS WATCH EVERY WEEK. WOW.

But yeah, after Brock is done, we'll never hear of it again. It's the WWE universe after all. Other companies are just mere, insignificant planets in that universe that could be destroyed for fun.

The most interesting and most bland man side by side. Wow.

Cagey

Banned
So what does Vince consider actual competition? I guess Total Divas is his answer to reality television but what traits is Vince taking from competitors he deems worthy challengers?

Maybe we should comprise a list on the Shows that air on Monday that compete with him.

As recently as the Austin sitdown, he's said he's competing against what airs on the rest of cable TV. Sports programming, scripted dramas and comedies, reality shows, etc. In entertainment, it's concerts, shows, etc.

In other words, he sees WWE as an entertainment product competing for dollars and eyeballs among the wider world of entertainment. He's not competing within the world of pro wrestling because he already won that battle.

A fun analogy because of the terms wrestling used: Vince was a warlord with territory (!!), he eventually conquered all the other territories and made his own kingdom. He's not going to sit around competing with some uppity governor of some small town somewhere in the kingdom; he's gonna go try and compete with other kingdoms.

jmdajr

Monday Night prime time 8:00pm to 9:00pm eastern

CBS Big Bang Theory/Mike n Molly
TNT Major Crimes
NBC All Star Celebrity Apprentice
FOX Emprie
ABC The Bachelor
TBS Family Guy
MTV Catfish The Show
ESPN College Playoff

Aiii

So not worth it
I think Vince buying WCW in the end finally sold him on his own hype. He has been living in the "everyone loves WWE more than anything else in the world"-bubble for 14 years now and he probably thinks that Reigns' promos are just about the best thing since sliced bread #2.

And let's face it. Reigns still gets great pops, so who is there to tell him otherwise?

Cagey

Banned
They use the UFC plenty of times to help put Brock over on commentary, which is kinda stupid, because the way they talk about it at times they make it completely devalue their own product. THIS MAN HAS HAD REAL FIGHTS AND KILLED PEOPLE. NONE OF THIS FAKE SHIT YOU NERDS WATCH EVERY WEEK. WOW.

But yeah, after Brock is done, we'll never hear of it again. It's the WWE universe after all. Other companies are just mere, insignificant planets in that universe that could be destroyed for fun.

Nah that's not what I meant (though you're not wrong heh). I was out on wrestling from ~2004 to ~2010ish. I popped in now-and-then, caught some PPVs online, watched the occasional RAW, and I did turn up for the ECW reboot, but beyond a few months of ECW (and thinking whoever this CM Punk dude was being presented as a good guy was really dumb) I didn't follow along. I'm not an MMA fan (sweaty dick punching never appealed to me; sorry, friend Heel), but I do know UFC got huge in that time period.

From what I've heard of that time period, Vince didn't consider UFC to be a competitor to WWE since UFC = real and WWE = scripted. He thought they were two different entities in two different worlds going after two different groups of fans.

Can't possibly understand how someone can think like that, and it's not just hindsight.

strobogo

Banned
Sliced bread isn't even that great. Such a weird way to judge how great something is. Also not great are Roman's pops. He gets pretty tepid reactions most of the time for a guy who is being positioned so hard.

jmdajr

Nah that's not what I meant (though you're not wrong heh). I was out on wrestling from ~2004 to ~2010ish. I popped in now-and-then, caught some PPVs online, watched the occasional RAW, and I did turn up for the ECW reboot. I'm not an MMA fan (sweaty dick punching never appealed to me; sorry, friend Heel), but I do know UFC got huge in that time period.

From what I've heard of that time period, Vince didn't consider UFC to be a competitor to WWE since UFC = real and WWE = scripted. He thought they were two different entities in two different worlds going after two different groups of fans.

Can't possibly understand how someone can think like that, and it's not just hindsight.

I don't give a shit about UFC but there is no doubt some fan overlap.

krae_man

Anyone in San Antonio know a place that airs WWE PPVs? Or any Americans in general know where you can watch them down there in general(ie movie theater chairs, restaurant chains etc)?

jmdajr

Sliced bread isn't even that great. Such a weird way to judge how great something is. Also not great are Roman's pops. He gets pretty tepid reactions most of the time for a guy who is being positioned so hard.

I wonder how Reigns merch is doing.

I think Vince buying WCW in the end finally sold him on his own hype. He has been living in the "everyone loves WWE more than anything else in the world"-bubble for 14 years now and he probably thinks that Reigns' promos are just about the best thing since sliced bread #2.

And let's face it. Reigns still gets great pops, so who is there to tell him otherwise?

Because it'll only get him so far. There's a difference between getting a "good pop" and drawing as the top star of the promotion. Sure, Reigns hasn't been positioned there yet so we don't know but being able to draw in WWE is linked majorly to promo ability. That can be backed up with tons of evidence.

Kaladin

TNT Major Crimes
FOX Emprie
ABC The Bachelor
TBS Family Guy
MTV Catfish The Show
ESPN College Playoff

Empire sucks, tried to give the pilot a fair chance but couldn't get into it.

Cagey

Banned
I don't give a shit about UFC but there is no doubt some fan overlap.

Seriously! Venn diagram that shit and there's a big overlap in the 18-34 male demographic. WWE gets more kids and women, UFC gets more men who are sports fans first and foremost, but there's no doubt overlap.

Aiii

So not worth it
Because it'll only get him so far. There's a difference between getting a "good pop" and drawing as the top star of the promotion. Sure, Reigns hasn't been positioned there yet so we don't know but being able to draw in WWE is linked majorly to promo ability. That can be backed up with tons of evidence.

Agreed on all accounts.

But in Vince's bubble the guy gets pops, women love him, he looks like Vince wants guys to look and he apparently moves quite a bit of merch.

And nobody close to Vince is gonna tell him otherwise either. He is on top of the hill and he got himself there, at least in his mind, he knows what works.

Kaladin

Agreed on all accounts.

But in Vince's bubble the guy gets pops, women love him, he looks like Vince wants guys to look and he apparently moves quite a bit of merch.

And nobody close to Vince is gonna tell him otherwise either. He is on top of the hill and he got himself there, at least in his mind, he knows what works.

Roman Reigns also has the pedigree Vince is big on too.

Heel

TNT Major Crimes
FOX Emprie
ABC The Bachelor
TBS Family Guy
MTV Catfish The Show
ESPN College Playoff

Surely there will be a way to shade the RAW ratings results as a success based solely on the brief presence of Daniel Bryan.

jmdajr

According to PWInsider.com, “fired” WWE stars Ryback, Dolph Ziggler and Erick Rowan are all expected to be brought back to WWE TV in time for the Royal Rumble.

As of now, the three talents are not backstage at Raw tonight and will not be used on the show.

However, it is expected that something will happen with the three next week on Raw, potentially them “sitting in the crowd” for the show, or some type of invasion angle will take place, which will result in all three men being brought back to WWE.

Vacation!

Sephzilla

I would say the biggest pop Roman has gotten in his career to date was when people were pulling for him to beat Batista at the Royal Rumble. And most of that pop was as a "we wish you were Bryan" type of deal. Most of the pops I hear him get on TV are Shaemus-tier pops at best.

According to PWInsider.com, “fired” WWE stars Ryback, Dolph Ziggler and Erick Rowan are all expected to be brought back to WWE TV in time for the Royal Rumble.

As of now, the three talents are not backstage at Raw tonight and will not be used on the show.

However, it is expected that something will happen with the three next week on Raw, potentially them “sitting in the crowd” for the show, or some type of invasion angle will take place, which will result in all three men being brought back to WWE.

Vacation!

this is fucking stupid

Thorakai

Seriously! Venn diagram that shit and there's a big overlap in the 18-34 male demographic. WWE gets more kids and women, UFC gets more men who are sports fans first and foremost, but there's no doubt overlap.

That Punk Q&A is all the evidence you need for an overlap.

It also explains why Vince ignores fans

Sephzilla

Vacation!

this is fucking stupid

They'll be off TV longer than Cena was during his kayfabe firing.

Getting fired is like dying in the DC universe, it has no meaning anymore

They'll be off TV longer than Cena was during his kayfabe firing.

Getting fired is like dying in the DC universe, it has no meaning anymore

Obviously this means that WWE needs to move up the ladder and start kayfabe killing people when they're REALLY never gonna be seen again for the next two weeks.

I would say the biggest pop Roman has gotten in his career to date was when people were pulling for him to beat Batista at the Royal Rumble. And most of that pop was as a "we wish you were Bryan" type of deal. Most of the pops I hear him get on TV are Shaemus-tier pops at best.

That Rumble pop is probably what sealed the deal for vince

krae_man

Sorry Bro. I think over time the cost to show PPVs at bars skyrocketd and now with WWE Network....well... might have to host your own party.

I'm in town for PAX South. Can't host shit.

If a local Wrasslegaffer wants to host, that would be fine. I have plans for a Sattelite Wrasslegaf Rumble with prizes...

Vacation!
Well that's never happened before...

jmdajr

I'm in town for PAX South. Can't host shit.

If a local Wrasslegaffer wants to host, that would be fine. I have plans for a Sattelite Wrasslegaf Rumble with prizes...

Pax South. Shit I forgot that. Can't justify the expenses right now though.

Thanks car that's falling apart.

Vacation!

ii9K3BE.jpg

jmdajr

"WOW LISTEN TO THAT POP ROMAN REIGNS IS GETTING GUYS WE NEED TO STRAP A ROCKET TO HIM HE'S GONNA BE THE NEXT ROCK, DAMNIT!"

Vince totally would mistake the Batista heat for Roman momentum.

To be fair I don't think fans had any problem with Roman at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom