• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
you mean the guy who pumped out annual sequels to his titles before annualization was a thing, sells his image to pedo art jrpgs and is an astute businessman pulled one over on us?

How could we have not foreseen this.

mega man fans are the biggest marks of em all~

MML3 was a work, brother.

Apparently Sakuraba's contract hasn't been renewed by New Japan - this doesn't preclude the possibility of him appearing on occasion, but he will no longer be a semi-regular member of the roster. He's wrestling Super Sasadango Machine at DDT's big Saitama Arena show next month.

Also, looks like Triton may be off the Fantasticamania tour after he re-injured his knee when Mr. Niebla slipped off the top-rope and landed on it, which then caused Titan to get caught in the ropes on a tope later in the match. Niebla seems like a huge waste of a spot and it was apparently Triton's dream to wrestle in Japan, which Niebla screwed up minutes into the first match of the tour.

strobogo

Banned
I read that as Shibata and got really upset that NJ would let him go again, this time without running AJ vs Shibata. But then I was fine since it is just Sakuraba.

Haha, there were like 10 pages of that thread where people were debating whether they should get the regular or XL version of the new 3DS and nintendo of america just made the decision for them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Sakuraba's contract hasn't been renewed by New Japan - this doesn't preclude the possibility of him appearing on occasion, but he will no longer be a semi-regular member of the roster. He's wrestling Super Sasadango Machine at DDT's big Saitama Arena show next month.

Also, looks like Titan may be off the Fantasticamania tour after he re-injured his knee when Mr. Niebla slipped off the top-rope and landed on it, which then caused Titan to get caught in the ropes on a tope later in the match. Niebla seems like a huge waste of a spot and it was apparently Titan's dream to wrestle in Japan, which Niebla screwed up minutes into the first match of the tour.

I'm ok with Sakuraba moving around, since that's the only moving he can really do these days (zing)

Super bummed about Titan. He's one of my favorites. Really depressing to hear, but I'm confident he'll be back and get that wish granted.

Also speaking of moving around and contracts, it would be beneficial to Okada to leave NJPW for a year or two. I think he'd be given a great opportunity to make his character fresh again. Even though he'd be leaving on a really high note, it's a fantastic spot to be in and a perfect time to make a temporary exit.

Haha, there were like 10 pages of that thread where people were debating whether they should get the regular or XL version of the new 3DS and nintendo of america just made the decision for them.

Good. Gaming-side shows it's fucking incapable of dealing with decisions or anything that requires thought. Fuck you, here's what you get, deal with it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Apparently New Japan has a deal with NOAH that'll basically turn NOAH into NJPW's retirement home for the rest of the year.

Whoops, that was meant to be Triton, not Titan! I always get them confused x_x

Don't agree about Okada, if this 'sad Okada' storyline is really the direction they're headed in then it's a good time to use how well protected he's been to get some other guys over, namely Ibushi & Naito. I've got a gut feeling that the NJ Cup finals will be Okada vs Ibushi with Ibushi winning to earn a rematch with Nak for the IC title.

Apparently New Japan has a deal with NOAH that'll basically turn NOAH into NJPW's retirement home for the rest of the year.

No one's really sure of the specifics, but it's pretty much expanding on the talent exchange stuff they did last year with Nagata & Kojima.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Whoops, that was meant to be Triton, not Titan! I always get them confused x_x

Don't agree about Okada, if this 'sad Okada' storyline is really the direction they're headed in then it's a good time to use how well protected he's been to get some other guys over, namely Ibushi & Naito. I've got a gut feeling that the NJ Cup finals will be Okada vs Ibushi with Ibushi winning to earn a rematch with Nak for the IC title.

Oh thank goodness! I still feel bad for Triton though.

I've always felt (especially after WK9) that Ibushi is done, ready, 100% over for the main event. Naito's still a work in progress but I'd like to see one of those two make a definitive move with their character.

I still think Okada leaving (even though there's pretty much no way it'd happen) would offer an opportunity for more people to get bumped to main event, at the expense of Okada putting some of them over. It would just provide a hell of a moment for Okada to return, and would reinvigorate his character. FEH.

Nisa65

Got back from the Fantasticamania show in Takamatsu an hour or so ago. Looked like a sell out which was surprising for a mid week show in my area. Was a pretty fun show too. Despite only knowing La Sombra and Mistico from CMLL it was often great to watch.

It seems the crowd, in my prefecture at least, are becoming bigger fans of Naito as time goes on. He was getting an arguably stronger reaction than Tanahashi in the final match. The Japanese crowd seemed to dig La Sombra the most out of the guys from Mexico. Was fun to see some of the NJPW regulars donning masks for the event too, although Naito's was nightmare fuel.

As always, I took quite a few photos, thankfully there was no lack of light this time.

NJPW dropped the ball with Okada and Devitt. They shouldn't have let him get away. Transcendental talents right there but they are too busy being comforted by Tanahashi.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
1_zps33bf1900.jpg
[/URL]

This is so fucking funny

Goddamn, Naito's mask is hideous. Nice shots Nisa, sounded like a fun show.

how does the NJ Cup work? the winner gets a titleshot at the championship of his choice?

Yeah, they introduced that stipulation last year - Nakamura won and challenged Fale for the Intercontinental belt. It's all part of their plan to elevate the IC title so it's worth almost as much as the IWGP title and, with Shinsuke as champion, they've succeeded, but the real test will be to see if whoever beats Shinsuke for the title can do the same.

NJPW dropped the ball with Okada and Devitt. They shouldn't have let him get away. Transcendental talents right there but they are too busy being comforted by Tanahashi.

Dropped the ball? Okada's easily the biggest star they've created since Nakamura & Tanahashi and isn't going anywhere. Also, the reason Styles was brought in was to replace Devitt - if Devitt had stuck around he likely would've got a run with the IWGP title just as AJ did and, pay-wise, there wasn't much further for Devitt to go in New Japan. He went to WWE because he wanted to try something new and I doubt there was much New Japan could have offered him that would have changed that.

Maybe Okada should make his debut in The 'Kara.

He already did, in 2006;

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=4324&page=4&year=2006&promotion=18

:p

strobogo

Banned
What if I told you he already did

Goddamn, Naito's mask is hideous. Nice shots Nisa, sounded like a fun show.

Yeah, they introduced that stipulation last year - Nakamura won and challenged Fale for the Intercontinental belt. It's all part of their plan to elevate the IC title so it's worth almost as much as the IWGP title and, with Shinsuke as champion, they've succeeded, but the real test will be to see if whoever beats Shinsuke for the title can do the same.

Dropped the ball? Okada's easily the biggest star they've created since Nakamura & Tanahashi and isn't going anywhere. Also, the reason Styles was brought in was to replace Devitt - if Devitt had stuck around he likely would've got a run with the IWGP title just as AJ did and, pay-wise, there wasn't much further for Devitt to go in New Japan. He went to WWE because he wanted to try something new and I doubt there was much New Japan could have offered him that would have changed that.

He already did, in 2006;

http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=4324&page=4&year=2006&promotion=18

:p

Oh. Well maybe he can win the 2015 Ted Petty Invitational.

Sidenote: Okada's match in CHIKARA vs Osiris was one of the worst matches I've ever seen. EVER.

I was looking for a YouTube link and couldn't find it, but oh my god is it terrifying to see the Rainmaker in fucking bumfuck PA in the shitty CHIKARA pony ring in front of like 40 people

RP912

Banned
I still can't get over TNA trying to plug The Green Hornet by using Okada when both the movie and that dumb ass gimmick flopped.

Sidenote: Okada's match in CHIKARA vs Osiris was one of the worst matches I've ever seen. EVER.

I was looking for a YouTube link and couldn't find it, but oh my god is it terrifying to see the Rainmaker in fucking bumfuck PA in the shitty CHIKARA pony ring in front of like 40 people

I've heard people say the same about present day NJPW guys showing up at UK shows.

Cagey

Banned
Looks like NXT might start to tour more....don't know if this is a one shot yet.[/IMG]

If NXT can generate profit by touring and doing live shows, this won't be a one-off thing.

I felt the same way about seeing the NJ guys at an ROH show. It instantly made them look not like stars at all.

I'm not a follower of NJPW, but that's how it came across live in NYC. The biggest stars in Japan performing in a third-tier company with the corresponding production values, venue selection, and crowd size. Comes across as the big-time foreign stars slumming it... and I like going to ROH PPVs live, it's always fun.

Seeing pictures of Del Rio in ROH has that same feel. It's... beneath him.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Apparently the NJPW/ROH crossover show last year made basically no money, so it'll probably be scaled back a bit this time.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Rob Conway needs his appendix taken out.

I hate hearing that, because I still have mine and know it's a ticking time bomb.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Next step for NXT if this tour thing works is a official separate brand, instead of WWE's call ups.

I could go for a true brand split again. Without 'drafts' and shenanigans afoot. NXT -is- a different show, much like SD tried to be (and was successful early on) from Raw. I can enjoy it.

Who from NXT can we expect in the Rumble? I think they'll do more than 1 this year.

Looking for Sami Zayn, Neville, and...probably one other, who can it be...I doubt they'll put Owens out there unless they're trying to further their storyline. And I don't think they will.

Aiii

So not worth it
Looks like Rob Conway needs his appendix taken out.

I hate hearing that, because I still have mine and know it's a ticking time bomb.

Depends, you might already be pretty much in the statistical clear Sunny:

Appendicitis is most common between the ages of 5 and 40; the median age is 28. It tends to affect males, those in lower income groups, and, for unknown reasons, people living in rural areas.

Kaladin

I also notice NXT are using Ticketmaster now, which is a jump from their smaller system that they use in Florida.

Also, in Florida they're using National Guard Armories and basically the established indie wrestling circuit. With this, it looks like they're running a larger place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom